Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

I don’t know how anyone thought this would go well, so it’s as if Musk has chosen to do the worst thing on purpose. I can’t see how it is in his interest to destroy 45 billion dollars, but it seems like he is actively attempting to do it.

it feels like it is more than just ineptitude.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

It’s almost as if cult leaders commit ridiculous, self-destructive acts just to get their followers to participate in and defend such acts.  Thereby enmeshing them in the lore of the cult even further.  At some point, a small percentage of cultists can be expected to express exasperation and confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Intelligence isn’t the same thing as judgment, leadership, or personality. Elon is an extreme outlier in all four areas, but only in a desirable way for one.

I don't think he's an outlier in any of those areas.  An extreme outlier implies something like +-3 or 4sigma on a bell curve.

Intelligence: 1 to 2 sigma. He's not stupid, but nothing special

Leadership: -1 to 1 sigma. About average for humans...most don't excel in leadership roles

Personality: -1 - 1 sigma.  He seems like a self-centered narcissistic ass hole.  That puts him more or less average for humans.  Sadly its amplified in his case by his personality cult...there but for the grace of god go most of us if we had legions of adoring fans.

Judgement: -2  to -1 sigma. Poor judgement to be sure...bot not terribly out there.  I think a lot of people think his judgement is poor because they mistakenly assume his intelligence is high.  When you realize he's only above average intellect, suddenly his bad decision just seem like a manifestation of simplistic critical thinking and cult-fed overconfidence.

I would, however, put him on something like 3 sigma for charisma.  Dude knows how to manipulate his cult.

• Thumb up 1

23 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t know how anyone thought this would go well, so it’s as if Musk has chosen to do the worst thing on purpose. I can’t see how it is in his interest to destroy 45 billion dollars, but it seems like he is actively attempting to do it.

it feels like it is more than just ineptitude.

Hubris! There are so many good options. Don’t limit yourself he’ll it’s probably some tragic combination 

32 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I bet he sells before the year is out. Guys been getting his ass whooped every week 

I don’t think he will sell it unless he is forced out by his investors. What can he get for it? Will someone even give him a billion for it? Even if they do, it puts a concrete number on his ability to destroy value, that’s a bad look. I think he will just sit on it and maybe let someone else run it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I don't think he's an outlier in any of those areas.  An extreme outlier implies something like +-3 or 4sigma on a bell curve.

Intelligence: 1 to 2 sigma. He's not stupid, but nothing special

Leadership: -1 to 1 sigma. About average for humans...most don't excel in leadership roles

Personality: -1 - 1 sigma.  He seems like a self-centered narcissistic ass hole.  That puts him more or less average for humans.  Sadly its amplified in his case by his personality cult...there but for the grace of god go most of us if we had legions of adoring fans.

Judgement: -2  to -1 sigma. Poor judgement to be sure...bot not terribly out there.  I think a lot of people think his judgement is poor because they mistakenly assume his intelligence is high.  When you realize he's only above average intellect, suddenly his bad decision just seem like a manifestation of simplistic critical thinking and cult-fed overconfidence.

I would, however, put him on something like 3 sigma for charisma.  Dude knows how to manipulate his cult.

I think you're pretty spot on with the standard deviations, but the only part I might disagree with is the last one.

I don't see him as an especially charismatic person, but we could also just be talking semantics at this point. To me, someone extremely charismatic is a person you watch or talk to and who you want to be around more, who you feel a pull towards, who you feel a certain warmth towards. I don't think Elon really qualifies (though that's not especially surprising as people on the autism spectrum struggle in those areas).

What I do think he's probably 2-3 standard deviations above mean is more along the lines of marketing. He's pretty brilliant there and I think him basically marketing himself as some sort of uber-genius is where a lot of his cult following comes into play, not necessary personal magnetism or charisma.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Not surprised starship is grounded pending an investigation of the launch, it is SOP. It’s not like SpaceX  was planning on launching any time soon…. Most of the “damage” that blogger was worried about never happened so it is pretty clear approving the launch was the right call.