Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

NPR will no longer post fresh content to its 52 official Twitter feeds, becoming the first major news organization to go silent on the social media platform. In explaining its decision, NPR cited Twitter's decision to first label the network "state-affiliated media," the same term it uses for propaganda outlets in Russia, China and other autocratic countries. 

The decision by Twitter last week took the public radio network off guard. When queried by NPR tech reporter Bobby Allyn, Twitter owner Elon Musk asked how NPR functioned. Musk allowed that he might have gotten it wrong. 

Twitter then revised its label on NPR's account to "government-funded media." The news organization says that is inaccurate and misleading, given that NPR is a private, nonprofit company with editorial independence. It receives less than 1 percent of its $300 million annual budget from the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting. 

Yet by going silent on Twitter, NPR's chief executive says the network is protecting its credibility and its ability to produce journalism without "a shadow of negativity."

Musk succeeding in alienating content creators

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

NPR gets most of its money from local affiliates, who get most of their money from the government. So I guess it depends on how you want to slice the cheese. However, there is no evidence that the government has influence on what they say/write.

That's not accurate. NPR gets the majority of it's money from corporate sponsorships, from what I can see it receives 1% from direct federal funding and 10% from indirect sources. 

NPR Funding 

Presently, NPR receives funding for less than 1% of its budget directly from the federal government, but receives almost 10% of its budget from federal, state, and local governments indirectly. 2

NPR - Public Radio Finances

Chart is NPR overall funding. 

NPR's average consolidated revenues from changes in net assets without donor restrictions (FY18-FY22). Corporate sponsorships 39%; Core and other programming fees 31%; Contributions of cash and financial assets 12%; Other revenues 8%; PRSS contract, satellite interconnection and distribution 5%; Endowment and board-designated support 4%; Return on investments 1%

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

That's not accurate. NPR gets the majority of it's money from corporate sponsorships, from what I can see it receives 1% from direct federal funding and 10% from indirect sources. 

NPR Funding 

NPR - Public Radio Finances

Chart is NPR overall funding. 

NPR's average consolidated revenues from changes in net assets without donor restrictions (FY18-FY22). Corporate sponsorships 39%; Core and other programming fees 31%; Contributions of cash and financial assets 12%; Other revenues 8%; PRSS contract, satellite interconnection and distribution 5%; Endowment and board-designated support 4%; Return on investments 1%

It depends on where the money is comming from from those other catagories, but this where I got my info from

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR

Although NPR receives less than 1% of its direct funding from the federal government,[10] member stations (which pay dues amounting to approximately one third of NPR's revenue), tend to receive far larger portions of their budgets from state governments, and also the US government through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.[11][12][13][14][15][16] NPR is not state-run media, and operates independently of any government or corporation.

of course, wiki is some times not the most reliable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What did NPR report that has gotten Musk all hot and bothered?

He just hates journalism. I don't think they did anything for him to add state affiliated media initially. He could also be doing it to get love from fellow conservatives.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

They left Twitter because he labeled them state affiliated media 

I understand, that and he's angry they actually left. Him shouting "defund" is an easy thing for people of a certain though process to rally around. They see NPR and think that the government gives them all their money and therefore chooses what they report. 

He's not a deep person, there are no interconnecting dots here. He's effectively Charlie working in the mailroom right now. 

Pepe Silvia | Know Your Meme

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

I understand, that and he's angry they actually left. Him shouting "defund" is an easy thing for people of a certain though process to rally around. They see NPR and think that the government gives them all their money and therefore chooses what they report. 

He's not a deep person, there are no interconnecting dots here. He's effectively Charlie working in the mailroom right now. 

Pepe Silvia | Know Your Meme

I feel like he was angry at them before this, that’s my point.

He’s got that thing a lot of leaders have which is to double down when challenged.  That works sometime when your ideas are good, but when you say dumb stuff the tendency to double down on being wrong is a huge character flaw. I know he is angry at them for calling him on his bull****, but what was the thought process. If you’re going to do bull**** things why not just label CNN and MSNBC deepstate sponsored news? Why single out NPR which from what I know about it is the most vanilla just the facts news organization out there….

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

NPR gets most of its money from local affiliates, who get most of their money from the government. So I guess it depends on how you want to slice the cheese. However, there is no evidence that the government has influence on what they say/write.

They aren't anything like RT...he's attacking their credibility in lock-step with GOP been wanting to get rid of PBS as well...

• Thumb up 1