Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

Okay, you know you're going down hard when the broadcast team starts throwing out forced commentary about how bright the Orioles future is and how much they look forward to calling games at beautiful Camden Yards.

All true, of course. But it's the equivalent of being told "you're gonna be fine, it's not you it's me" when a hot girl is dumping you on your ass.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Sad 1

I had that scary thought when they went down 0-1. The team that has gone nearly two seasons without being swept can’t get swept in their first postseason. Just too cruel. 

But the offense continued to struggle like it did inter last half on September. The pitching produced two non-competitive starts. And the Rangers gameplan of making our switch hitters bat right handed at Camden worked out. And they mashed. 

The Rangers May turn around and win the whole thing. 

169 days until opening day!

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Like 1

I.can live with losing, but it's the getting swept after the season they had stings.  But I'm encouraged that they've got reinforcements in their back pocket.  This feels like just the beginning.  Rodriguez with a season under his belt, Bradish, Kremer, and Means coming back is a solid top 4 in the rotation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I.can live with losing, but it's the getting swept after the season they had stings.  But I'm encouraged that they've got reinforcements in their back pocket.  This feels like just the beginning.  Rodriguez with a season under his belt, Bradish, Kremer, and Means coming back is a solid top 4 in the rotation.  

Free agents: Webb, Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Lopez (already released), Fuji, Hicks

I'm not sure any of these guys will be back in 2024. Maybe Lopez as pen depth. I could see the O's looking to resign Gibson to the same kind of 1/10 deal as a back of the rotation starter. 

2024 Walk Year: McCann Santander, Means, O'Hearn, Columbe 

Means has essentially missed the past 2 seasons with his injury. He's pitched through some dark times and been hurt for the team's successes. His ARB hearing is going to be interesting and I wonder if he is a candidate for a semi-extension. Something that buys his first year of gree agency with a big 3rd year option in case he takes off? 

Santander should be losing AB's to Kjerstad next season. HK is essentially a replacement for both Santander and O'Hearn as a corner OF, HD,1B. This is where the roster crunch really starts to hurt for guys we have had for several years. 

9 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Free agents: Webb, Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Lopez (already released), Fuji, Hicks

I'm not sure any of these guys will be back in 2024. Maybe Lopez as pen depth. I could see the O's looking to resign Gibson to the same kind of 1/10 deal as a back of the rotation starter. 

2024 Walk Year: McCann Santander, Means, O'Hearn, Columbe 

Means has essentially missed the past 2 seasons with his injury. He's pitched through some dark times and been hurt for the team's successes. His ARB hearing is going to be interesting and I wonder if he is a candidate for a semi-extension. Something that buys his first year of gree agency with a big 3rd year option in case he takes off? 

Santander should be losing AB's to Kjerstad next season. HK is essentially a replacement for both Santander and O'Hearn as a corner OF, HD,1B. This is where the roster crunch really starts to hurt for guys we have had for several years. 

Santander is projected to make $12M in arbitration. I can’t see him coming especially if you are trying to get ABs for Cowser and Kjerstad.

Bradish is an interesting guy. He was incredible this season. Can they expect him to be similar or improve? If he regresses some, it makes the rotation look a lot different. I think they need to be in on a starter. Maybe Gray makes the most sense as he’ll get a shorter deal than other frontline pitchers. He’d be off the books when the young guys get further along in arbitration.

Hicks is almost certainly gone, as someone is going to give him starter money, and Elias isn't going to spend.

I think someone's going to take a flyer on Frazier, probably not that big of a contract, but again Elias probably isn't going to see value. Especially with Holliday coming up probably next year, 

OF is starting to become a concern.  We'll need eventual replacements for Santander and Mullins if they aren't figuring into our long term plans.  Maybe we have those guys in our system with Cowser, Stowers and Kjerstaad, but we can't depend on all those guys panning out.

IF seems pretty locked up, even logjammed to some extent, with Holliday, Ortiz and Mayo.

Wouldn't mind bringing back Flaherty, he's only 27. Yes he didn't show a whole lot while with us, but his track record is pretty solid. He can be a fourth or fifth starter at worst.

I'm all about letting the young guys get a chance to play - Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, and Mayo in particular. Bring Holliday up mid-season. We have been stockpiling all this talent in the minors for years, time to see what they got. If not it is time to think about some trades.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Wouldn't mind bringing back Flaherty, he's only 27. Yes he didn't show a whole lot while with us, but his track record is pretty solid. He can be a fourth or fifth starter at worst.

I'm all about letting the young guys get a chance to play - Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, and Mayo in particular. Bring Holliday up mid-season. We have been stockpiling all this talent in the minors for years, time to see what they got. If not it is time to think about some trades.

I'm not sure what Flaherty's deal was this year.  He wasn't really great in St. Louis this year either.  

I wouldnt parting with one or two of those bats not named Holliday or Kjerstad to get another starting pitcher in here.

Edited by justice98

Not that this will make any of us feel better, but just to show the unpredictability of MLB playoffs - 4 of the top 5 teams this year (O's, LA, Rays, and Brewers) are already out, and none of them won even a single game. And the other top team - Atlanta - is one more loss away from joining them. 

Orioles payroll was always pretty low yet they still managed to win 100+ games off their young talent. This isn't the last you've heard of those Bawlmer boys. Not by a long shot.

Years of tanking for the process have paid off. And remember next year Holliday probably gets promoted. Orioles extremely lucky with all the talent coming in. Rutschman, Henderson, and now Holliday.

• Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...