Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

I don't hate this move. The skins had to do something, and if they had struck out for carr they probably would have ended up reaching for a quarterback in April. I'd much rather overpay wentz salary wise, than waste another first round pick on a QB bust.

I just hope his foot and ankle injuries from this past year don't linger into next year.  I also don't understand his consistency issues, he was a legit MVP candidate the year that they won the super Bowl before he got hurt and the next year he was bad enough that they shipped him out.  Solid the first half of this year, and then he was awful late in the year.  And he had the best oline he will ever have this past year in Indy, can he still be successful with an inferior line.  His personality is the least of my concerns.  If he is playing well that won't be an issue.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was over the moon excited thinking we had a second 2nd rounder, then I read better after you all yelled at me and I cooled off, but I am beyond excited again. This is a huge win for us.

LOL.  This is the Alex Smith trade all over again except with a worse QB.  Use up all cap space, sit out free agency, give up valuable draft picks for a guy who go can’t help but win 6-8 games, thereby cementing a draft slot that falls short of the top QBs in a good draft.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

This fan base never, ever learns.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

The more i think about it ... i am warming up to the scenario. Simply put there were no options this year that were better, out of what was left. 28m for a mid level starting QB in this league is not bad. Plus the guy has a cannon, that means higher potential to bring in FA WR if they chose. Two 3rds is cheap... and colts were never going to cut hit outright. Trubisky will probably get 15m+ so 28 for wentz will look like a deal.

Trubisky, mariota, Winston - major question marks

Jimmy G - many ???, inj prone, coming off surgery, will cost more in pics.

• Like 2

Just now, Peregrine said:

The biggest issue is the team just gave up a 3rd and 2nd next year, for a guy they could have signed for free when they cut him.  And paid him 28 million instead of 10 million, and left the team with no cap space to improve other areas. Basically the usual from this FO, throw extra money and picks around and end up with your high earners being players like Collins and Samuel.

Look, people really need to stop making these financial assumptions about a QB market that has shown anything but 'reasonable' in the early going.

Free Agency: Jimmy G and Mitch will give us a better idea of the market. Wentz is clearly a step up from both of them, but it helps.

Extension: Rogers just got 50M/year and Wilson is going to get a TON from Denver. Carr, Murray, Jackson, Mayfield are all up for extensions, and would not be surprised of LA did something with Stafford too.

We really dont know the market yet, but there will be 10+ QBs this year making more than Wentz and 15+ QBs next year. We should not be in any rush to consider this a 1 year Prove It deal. If he 'Proves it' then we should hold on to him assuming we dont draft a QB.

• Like 3

I like this trade. We don’t have to mortgage our future draft capital. We swapped 2nd rounders. Wentz threw for 3500 yards on 63 percent passing last year, 27 TDs vs just 7 INTs. We can either trade down for a future 2023 first round pick, Draft a QB with the 11th pick, or take another position. 

• Like 1

I hate that we let them off the hook salary wise. Why are we always bailing other teams out? We already giving them picks. Make them pony up at least some of the dough. No matter what we're just always really bad at trades. I wish Mike Rizzo ran this FO. 

I'm very "meh" on this deal. He's still relatively young and is certainly talented but I'm less worried about his football capabilities (though is meltdown at the end of the season was...pretty bad) and more about personality. He got a reputation with both the Eagles and Colts for being a whiny diva and locker room cancer who other players didn't like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

It just keeps getting better

Skins definitely overpaid.  If they are giving two 3rds, then the colts eat salary.   If skins pay whole salary, then 4th and 6th picks are more appropriate.  But the skins paid both premiums.  I can understand being aggressive in the Russell Wilson sweepstakes, and the frustration that follows after losing out, but if they had lost the Carson Wentz sweepstakes, that's not a punch to the gut, more like an oh well. 

But we all knew if the skins were going to upgrade at QB, they'd have to overpay.  

I don't hate the move.  If Wentz plays his average type year, even with TH filling in for a couple games, that's a big upgrade for us.   At the most important position.  Without sacrificing a first rounder, net loss of 2 day 2 picks.   I can live with that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I'm very "meh" on this deal. He's still relatively young and is certainly talented but I'm less worried about his football capabilities (though is meltdown at the end of the season was...pretty bad) and more about personality. He got a reputation with both the Eagles and Colts for being a whiny diva and locker room cancer who other players didn't like. 

Ron can manage divas

Cam Newton's outfits, graded by a fashion expert and a fashion idiot -  SBNation.com

13 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

It just keeps getting better

Been better off trying to pry Carr from LV or signing Winston or Mariota for a year and drafting a player.  We have no 5th round pick this year.  I expect us to trade down at least once, maybe twice in this draft. 

Edited by RWJ

Correct me if I'm wrong but 20 mil a season is pretty affordable right?

Still in the process of talking myself into it. As long as the money is right and we grab a young guy in the draft im good with it I think. I would be pretty ho hum if we don't get a young guy though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but 20 mil a season is pretty affordable right?

Still in the process of talking myself into it. As long as the money is right and we grab a young guy in the draft im good with it I think. I would be pretty ho hum if we don't get a young guy though. 

Elite QBs get around 50, Trubs will probably get around 15. I think it's alright.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

"Per Keefer, some concluded that Wentz displayed “a lack of leadership, a resistance to hard coaching and a reckless style of play.” Frankly, these are exactly the concerns that undermined Wentz’s time with the Eagles." Link