Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

19 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Yeah it is not like Joe is Ronald Reagan who armed the Afghan mujahideen back in the days to fight against the USSR. 

Remember when Reagan sold arms to Iran in order to fund right-wing death squads in Nicaragua?

I remember.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, visionary said:

The US/West isn't at war with Russia.  Ukraine is.  We don't need Yalta Conference like in WW2 to agree on war aims or what an acceptable post-war peace is because that is between Ukraine and Russia.  Of course, the US is imposing  some conditions under which are arms are used - Biden's article was to clarify that point.  He doesn't believe Ukraine should strike in Russian territory using US and probably any western weapons.

In a similar manner, the Soviet Union and China supplied weapons to North Vietnam and the Vietcong which was fighting against the US.  But they weren't giving them some long range strategic bombers or ballistic missiles to strike the US itself.

Its a more complicated situation of course because these two countries border each other, so giving them any type of long range capability, which is becoming a battlefield necessity to counter the sheer volume that Russia is fielding, could potentially be put on the border and attack Russia.  From the sources I've read, they have been trading shells around Sumy, Cherniv and Kharkiv across their borders for some time, without any substantial ground formations present.  I think there are conditions already that the M777 cannot be used for that, if not there should be.

This unfortunately does hamstring Ukraine slightly, because Russia is partially waging an economic and logistics war and can hit Ukraine with impunity, while Ukraine has limited ability to counter.  This means the economic side of the war will have to be carried out mostly by the West, while Ukraine receives aid to partially offset the economic damage they are receiving from Russia.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

20 hours ago, zCommander said:

Yeah it is not like Joe is Ronald Reagan who armed the Afghan mujahideen back in the days to fight against the USSR. 

I hear it was Nancy’s psychic that made the decision.

20 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Remember when Reagan sold arms to Iran in order to fund right-wing death squads in Nicaragua?

I remember.

Unfortunately Reagan couldn’t remember it himself.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1