Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Absolutely, but we now know the global response.

They will be sanctioned into oblivion by nearly every country

They will lose tons of foreign business

they will scare multiple countries into a military alliance that actively undermines their goals

they will scare multiple countries into an economic alliance that will undermine their goals

China is going to have to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I think you'd find that the powers that be (i.e. the money) would have a significantly harder time divorcing themselves from manufacturing worldwide central headquarters versus pouring out some overpriced vodka and swearing off borscht.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Absolutely, but we now know the global response.

They will be sanctioned into oblivion by nearly every country

They will lose tons of foreign business

they will scare multiple countries into a military alliance that actively undermines their goals

they will scare multiple countries into an economic alliance that will undermine their goals

China is going to have to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Again, China is in a different situation.  They have lots of US dollars and US treasuries.

Sanctions won't be as easy and won't have the same effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I think you'd find that the powers that be (i.e. the money) would have a significantly harder time divorcing themselves from manufacturing worldwide central headquarters versus pouring out some overpriced vodka and swearing off borscht.

Yeah the two don’t compare. 

Which cuts both ways. China has a lot to lose, whereas Russia isn’t even in the same league in those terms. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You just need a few to actually make.

Take out LA , Chicago, New York and D.C. and watch the country descend into mad max territory.

Putin has been telegraphing his every move.

I see your name change has had no effect on your eternal optimism 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

Again, China is in a different situation.  They have lots of US dollars and US treasuries.

Sanctions won't be as easy and won't have the same effect.

I don't see the sanctions as the bigger deterrent. They can takes some economic hits their economy is huge.

Sending countries running to NATO and the EU is the bigger problem for China. That's gotta be the last thing they want.

10 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If you're China that fact that it going poorly for Russia is great for you.

You have no fear of the Russian military, and you can see even given time and in the face of real humanitarian issues the west is not going to get directly involved.

Im not so sure they like how its going.  Russia is kind of Chinas biggest ally, and vice versa.  China plays Russia, for sure, but I think they view Russia(who is their neighbor) as the other maligned country by the west and the only one with real power who would fight back against them.  Russia is one of the few true dictatorships out there that are like China.

Its not that China wants Russia to be big and powerful and successful.  China just cares about China.  They dont want Russia or anyone else to get powerful enough to oppose them.  But they dislike the west more, and they likely view Russia as the country big and "scary" enough to be a useful ally, but one that is horribly run and so easy for them to roll over in a heartbeat if they ever had a need to.  Russia is the level of big and incompetent that China like, and something changing that status quo isnt good for China.

• Like 1

China is entirely different and has a FAR more robust economy than Russia.  You should also assume that when the Euro powers and the US came out with far more devastating sanctions than expected for Russia, they were at least partially meant to send a signal to China. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't see the sanctions as the bigger deterrent. They can takes some economic hits their economy is huge.

Sending countries running to NATO and the EU is the bigger problem for China. That's gotta be the last thing they want.

Nobody that China cares about is running to join NATO or the EU.

There is no real corresponding political, economic, or military organizations in Asia or the Pacific rim.

Part of the push behind the TPP was to try to create an anti-China economic coalition in Asia.  But that failed.

• Like 1

Ukranian Crisis Live

Following up on newly announced sanctions against billionaire Alisher Usmanov and Russian former deputy prime minister Igor Shuvalov by the UK, here’s a statement posted to Twitter from the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on the additional penalties:

It is 9.18pm in Ukraine. Here’s where we stand right now:

• Russian forces are in control of both local and regional government buildings in the strategically important Black Sea port of Kherson, local authorities said. Russian forces appeared to be moving to cut Ukraine off from the sea via its key southern ports, claiming the capture of Kherson and tightening the siege of Mariupol.
  • Concern is mounting over the movements of a huge column of Russian military vehicles outside Kyiv. While a US defence official suggested it appeared to have “stalled”, there was also speculation that an estimated 15,000 troops attached to it may be regrouping and waiting for logistical supplies before an assault on Kyiv.
  • Another key objective for Russian forces in the south-east appeared to be Zaporizhzhia and its nuclear power plant, Europe’s biggest, where Russian troops were trying to break through a barricade to the plant erected by residents and territorial defence forces.
  • At least 33 civilians had been killed in a Russian airstrike on a residential area in the northern city of Chernihiv on Thursday, Ukrainian authorities say, with the death toll continuing to rise.
  • Vladimir Putin has told Emmanuel Macron that Kyiv’s “refusal to accept Russia’s conditions” means he will continue to pursue his war in Ukraine, the Élysée Palace has said, adding: “We expect the worst is yet to come.”
  • In a televised speech shortly after his 90-minute call with Macron, Putin claimed Russian military operations in Ukraine were going according to plan. The president went on to accuse Ukrainian forces of using civilians as “human shields” while providing no evidence.
  • Ukraine and Russia agreed to create humanitarian corridors to evacuate civilians in a second round of talks this afternoon, but the Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said the outcome of today’s talks had fallen short of Ukraine’s hopes. A third round of talks is set to take place at the start of next week, the Belarus state news agency Belta cited Podolyak as saying.
  • Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, has called for direct talks with the Russian leader, Vladimir Putin, saying it was “the only way to stop this war”. Speaking at a press conference, Zelenskiy called on the west to increase military aid to Ukraine, warning that the rest of Europe would be under threat if Russia was allowed to advance.
  • The UK foreign secretary, Liz Truss, has imposed sanctions on the Uzbekistan-born Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, whose commercial links to Everton football club have been suspended, and the Russian former deputy prime minister Igor Shuvalov, the Foreign Office has said.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I've got good news for you!

A nuclear bomb is designed to create a very specific set of events that lead to a chain reaction. It takes a very finite degree of precision.

Smacking a warhead w/ an interceptor missile is a very good way to ensure nothing precise happens.

Long story short, if you shoot down a nuke, it is very unlikely to cause a nuclear explosion.

You can still have a bit of fallout from the radioactive core being intact, but your talking a fraction of what could have been.

If nukes are launched and subsequently shot down, you are very likely not looking at a nuclear winter scenario.

You can kick a nuke warhead or shoot it w/ a bullet and it wont result in a nuclear explosion. The fuse on the inside setting off the conventional explosive has to be the first step. Its why nukes do not detonate on impact.

I don't think you understood what I meant. I know how nuclear bombs work (nuke-u-lurr bombs if you're Homer Simpson or W.😃) . I was saying that if they fire enough of them, a few will inevitably get through and since each ICBM has multiple warheads, that's several cities gone and boatloads of smoke and debris. All that aside, let's say I assume that we can successfully intercept 100% of their ICBMs. Do you honestly think our military would wait on the results of our intercepting their missiles before we respond? Now since the Russians would be trying to overwhelm our systems in order to get just a few through, do you also think we'd respond in limited fashion? Or do you believe the Russians have technology equal to ours, such that they could reliably intercept 100% of our missiles? Remember, nuclear winter DGAF who fired the missiles. If they detonate, no matter who fired them, we're likely done as a species. Are you really willing to push all the chips to the center of the table on that? If so, make sure you stay as far away from the nuclear football as humanly possible.

• Like 1

Russian lawmakers have introduced legislation that would conscript into the military anyone arrested for protesting against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

That's some old school Stalin n Hitler type ****.

Seems like potential for saboteurs to mess things up even more. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, China said:

This makes me think of the scene in Braveheart where the Irish are running towards Wallace’s force full speed, then both sides slow down and stop right in front of each other to shake hands.

probably wouldn’t happen, but it would be amazing.

also, we need a shocked emoji. We have that confused-wtf one but not shocked.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1