Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Until he got hurt, I figured that Mathis was just another DT that might replace Payne if he was not resigned. But after listening to Rico and other podcasters this week, Mathis's role this year was mainly to take on two blockers in the middle and clog running lanes. Not so much trying to get sacks, but unselfishly taking the heat, so Payne and Allen could feast. Not a true Nose tackle, but big-bodied like Swaggy was. Jeter seems like he fits the bill. Certainly looks it.

That's what I was thinking too but if that's not the case and his intended role was replaceable with a free agent with zero experience then why use a second round pick on him?

That's the part I can't figure out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's what I was thinking too but if that's not the case and his intended role was replaceable with a free agent with zero experience then why use a second round pick on him?

That's the part I can't figure out.

Me too. On one hand, he's from the Crimson Tide and being former teammate of Payne and Allen gives him more cred for future promise. On the other, you just replaced him with a kid who was sitting at home. Go figure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mudhog said:

Me too. On one hand, he's from the Crimson Tide and being former teammate of Payne and Allen gives him more cred for future promise. On the other, you just replaced him with a kid who was sitting at home. Go figure. 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Great question....

Because there's  a difference between his intended role this year and his intended role in the future?

• Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

Because there's  a difference between his intended role this year and his intended role in the future?

And because the kid off the street is their best attempt to replace him, not a guaranteed 1-for-1 replacement in terms of talent and production 

• Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Our failings in free agency are showing up now. Inexcusable that we didn’t go all out for 2 or 3 key additions. Getting Wentz then waiting for the draft simply wasn’t enough.

agreed. I really really wonder if guys wouldn’t sign here with all the drama, and Snyder wouldn’t pony up absurd guarantees to force the issue. Because the lack of additions we made while clearly entering a “window” to justify the Wentz trade, was baffling. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I think it's far more likely that Rivera is just bad at personnel

you think it’s logical that we traded for a QB, putting us in a competitive window where even the dimmest person would want to make themselves look justified in making the trade, and just….didn’t want to bring in a single FA good enough to have a wiki page. It’s the simple and obvious to you that Rivera went “nah this roster is fire” after making a controversial statement trade for Wentz? That just doesn’t hold up for me, and even less so as time passes 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

you think it’s logical that we traded for a QB, putting us in a competitive window where even the dimmest person would want to make themselves look justified in making the trade, and just….didn’t want to bring in a single FA good enough to have a wiki page. It’s the simple and obvious to you that Rivera went “nah this roster is fire” after making a controversial statement trade for Wentz? That just doesn’t hold up for me, and even less so as time passes 

Rivera has proven over 3 years that he has no clue how to evaluate LB talent.     I heard him say early in the off-season that after watching tape, he thought Holcomb was a really good MLB.

He didn't add more depth and quality starters on D, because he didn't think they needed it.

53 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Rivera has proven over 3 years that he has no clue how to evaluate LB talent.     I heard him say early in the off-season that after watching tape, he thought Holcomb was a really good MLB.

He didn't add more depth and quality starters on D, because he didn't think they needed it.

You really expect a coach to give interviews during the offseason where he gets asked about players and is going to say "lmao, he suuuuuuuuuucks what a loser"?

The closest he ever got to that was pleading for any QB in sight that he could trade for. And he never even took that time to say Heinicke sucked, just that he was desperate for someone better.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

If Roullier has to go on IR, it should be a no brainer to sign Ismail off SF’s practice squad if that is something Ismail wants to do. A better solution would be to sign Matt Paradis if he is recovered from his ACL injury last season. He is a longtime starting center in the league who played for Ron in Carolina in 2019

Edited by method man

21 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You really expect a coach to give interviews during the offseason where he gets asked about players and is going to say "lmao, he suuuuuuuuuucks what a loser"?

The closest he ever got to that was pleading for any QB in sight that he could trade for. And he never even took that time to say Heinicke sucked, just that he was desperate for someone better.

You can say Holcomb is good and still address the position.   Instead, he said early in the off-season that Holcomb played really well last year and that we don't need a MLB.

Edited by FLSkinz83

12 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

You can say Holcomb is good and still address the position.   Instead, he said early in the off-season that Holcomb played really well last year and that we don't need a MLB.

It's the compounding effect of a bad pick in Davis. Given the buffalo nickel alignment and them fundamentally believing in using only 2 linebackers, they effectively blocked themselves from signing another starting quality LB because doing so would've meant Davis getting relegated to the bench and admitting he is a bust before Year 2

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

What are you suggesting?

I just find it really odd that a coach wouldn’t want to spend every penny to get the best possible roster they can.

It’s possible he could have financial restrictions, and/or that players he targeted chose other teams, or <insert any other reason here>.

I don’t put a whole lot of stock into coachspeak.  I don’t expect him to publicly say his linebackers are so-so.

• Like 1

Unless we are planning on giving one of our Vets the bag to clear some more space, we have less than 4 Mil to get thru the season now... and we still got 15 weeks.

We lose a piece of that every time we shuffle people around on n off the PS. Losing guys to IR could hurt too.

We basically have no financial resources right now. Better hope we don't lose a starter that will force us to sign someone. We burned thru almost all our cash.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I just find it really odd that a coach wouldn’t want to spend every penny to get the best possible roster they can.

It’s possible he could have financial restrictions, and/or that players he targeted chose other teams, or <insert any other reason here>.

I don’t put a whole lot of stock into coachspeak.  I don’t expect him to publicly say his linebackers are so-so.

The problem is that the LB's have been awful for 3 years.   I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Unless we are planning on giving one of our Vets the bag to clear some more space, we have less than 4 Mil to get thru the season now... and we still got 15 weeks.

We lose a piece of that every time we shuffle people around on n off the PS. Losing guys to IR could hurt too.

We basically have no financial resources right now. Better hope we don't lose a starter that will force us to sign someone. We burned thru almost all our cash.

A few weeks ago we had 13 mil in cap space.  How did we lose 10 mil?

Just now, FLSkinz83 said:

A few weeks ago we had 13 mil in cap space.  How did we lose 10 mil?

Basically, we never had that money to begin with. That money was an illusion. We were pretty cash strapped the moment we traded for Wentz and his 28 large.

PUP does not count against the cap in the offseason, but it does when the regular season begins. We had major contracts on PUP in Logan(6M) and Young(9). While the team was sitting on 15-ish Mil in cap space over the offseason, they knew full well that the bill would eventually come due so they had to sit on a stack. All the money we had was already earmarked.

The same is true of IR. Once the season starts, that tolls on the cap. All the guys we IR'd before cutdowns add up to a couple Mil. Add in the extra roster spot we gotta pay after big Phi's season ending injury and move to IR.

Then there is the practice squad. They count against the cap. They didn't exist in the offseason, but it does in the regular season. I think that's costing us like 4 mil up to this point, and will grow thru the season as we naturally rotate, cut guys and add new guys.

I'm pretty sure B-Robs contract counts against the cap as an extra player as he is not on the 52. That's another charge. Tiny tho.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Basically, we never had that money to begin with. That money was an illusion. We were pretty cash strapped the moment we traded for Wentz and his 28 large.

PUP does not count against the cap in the offseason, but it does when the regular season begins. We had major contracts on PUP in Logan(6M) and Young(9). While the team was sitting on 15-ish Mil in cap space over the offseason, they knew full well that the bill would eventually come due so they had to sit on a stack. All the money we had was already earmarked.

The same is true of IR. Once the season starts, that tolls on the cap. All the guys we IR'd before cutdowns add up to a couple Mil. Add in the extra roster spot we gotta pay after big Phi's season ending injury and move to IR.

Then there is the practice squad. They count against the cap. They didn't exist in the offseason, but it does in the regular season. I think that's costing us like 4 mil up to this point, and will grow thru the season as we naturally rotate, cut guys and add new guys.

I'm pretty sure B-Robs contract counts against the cap as an extra player as he is not on the 52. That's another charge. Tiny tho.

Didn't know about the PUP rule.  In that case, re-structure a few contracts.  We don't need a ton of cap space to add a few Vets. 

5 hours ago, Conn said:

Ah yes, the coach always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision argument and its absurd to think otherwise because it wouldnt make sense because you think that.  And yet after years of full control the team and roster suck but apparently he always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision because it would be stupid not to.

That just doesnt hold up for me, and even less so as time passes.

Just now, Peregrine said:

Ah yes, the coach always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision argument and its absurd to think otherwise because it wouldnt make sense because you think that.  And yet after years of full control the team and roster sucks but apparently he always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision because it would be stupid not to.

27 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Ah yes, the coach always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision argument and its absurd to think otherwise because it wouldnt make sense because you think that.  And yet after years of full control the team and roster suck but apparently he always made the reasonable and rational and wise decision because it would be stupid not to.

Fair, and that’s the famous “Appeal to Authority” fallacy in action. Which I’m usually the last person to invoke with this team lol. I’m questioning Rivera and his rep as a “culture builder” over in the FO thread right now, in fact.

I guess to me it just seems absurd that anyone would look at our defense and think “all done, let’s pack it up till September and cross our fingers”. But then, I was one of the biggest proponents of the ‘Snyder won’t let them throw around large amounts of guaranteed money unless absolutely necessary’ theory so that’s why I feel this way. I think the major guarantees, in a bloated market, needed to convince guys (and their agents) to ignore all the Snyder drama that was peaking this offseason was just not gonna happen for anyone but a face of the franchise type like McLaurin. 

• Like 1