Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

At this point, I would lock the Marties and McClaurin's agent in a room with a doggy door. Every six hours I would slide food through that door. No one leaves until a bathroom get done. They get food, water, and no bathroom breaks.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:25 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I think about it and the more I hear, i think its Dan who wants to punt these contracts until the summer.   That's how they did some of the bigger ones ala Trent and Kerrigan before Ron was here.    Why? Because as Breer said, some owners want to make interest on their money and hold it as long as possible.  The other part of that is for the bigger contracts you got to park a lot of money.    Lets say Terry gets 60 million guaranteed -- Dan has to escrow that 60 right away.  Also if you do a major signing bonus to spread the cap hit, that money gets doled out right away. 

So in short a big money contract requires big money allocation right from the jump.  the pain is spread out on the cap but the pain is front loaded for the owner.  So having one of the least successful owners outside of the team does IMO have some consequences to it.  For FA you have no choice if you want your guy.  But as far as extending your own players you can punt on it and hold on to your money longer. 

So the waiting probably cost us an extra 5 million a year on the cap.  Foolish.  But yeah its one of a million reasons why Dan sucks.  I do think though they get this done.  Terry has been on all the rebranding materials.  It would be odd to move on from him after that along with other reasons why it would be odd. 

I was listening to Standig reference the point this morning as have others.  If they landed Russell Wilson this off season it would have likely been a game changer as for their PR issues.  It would have given them buzz that this team hasn't had in eons.  Part of the rhetoric from the Virgina legislators as for no stadium beyond the obvious stuff about Dan is there is no excitement about this team in the community.

Denver landed Wilson and got 5 prime time games -- they have big time buzz.  We couldn't even get 1 Sunday Night game.  In their defense, i don't think this was lost on them in advance as to landing a QB who would bring some desperately needed buzz to a team that has little to none via causal fans or nationally. They did try hard to do it.  It is what it is.  So no complaining from me.  I like the Wentz move but its not hard to miss that i am in the minority and the move has zero buzz nationally or with casual fans.  People here, at least most of us, get excited about players like Cole Turner but more casual fans are looking for those marquee names that this team hasn't majored in during Dan's era.

My point is, I think they realize they can't afford to lose Terry.  Terry isn't a national name like a Russell Wilson or name that other marquee QB or top 5 kind of player.  But he's the best we got on that front.  For a team that's bleeding fans, I don't think they can afford to lose their most popular and arguably best player.   Plus what type of message would that send to their own locker room and the rest of the league?  It would feel a bit like European soccer where star players of lesser clubs push their way out because they want to win.  IMO it would be a PR debacle.  And I think this regime gets it. 

Coming from one of the bigger fans of the Wentz deal, I still admit the PR value of it if anything was a net negative let alone just gave them no buzz.  And I'd bet they are shell shocked by it because most of the national media is clowning on them.  I am a bit shocked by it myself.  Some would say who cares about national buzz and more casual fans.  But I think they do and they should.  Part of the decline of this team as a marquee franchise is that national fans/media see this team as irrelevant, it's not a big club anymore.  It was one of the only teams whose local TV audience actually declined last season.  Almost dead last in fan attendance with even the Jaguars having more fans in the stands.  We are probably just a season or two away from surpassing the Jaguars as the team that the NFL might push to play in London once a year since the home fan attendance isn't hot.

So yeah I'd be stunned if they don't work it out with Terry.  I put it on Dan that they waited this long to do the contract.  I know some disagree with me on this but I've learned over the years if i bet against Dan, the odds that I end up right are much higher than the rare times I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

And if Ron was asked the question why did He (Rivera) not extend Terry M. I would say you need to ask the owner about that one.  Plain and simple.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burgold said:

At this point, I would lock the Marties and McClaurin's agent in a room with a doggy door. Every six hours I would slide food through that door. No one leaves until a bathroom get done. They get food, water, and no bathroom breaks.

I hope you mean contract. 

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

This would be highly effective if the only way to use the bathroom was to build one as quickly as possible.

11 hours ago, Burgold said:

So McClaurin is holding out to get a new bathroom put in? 🤔

1 hour ago, CommDownMan said:

Not if the Commanders are the contractor.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Not called the Commodes for nothing.

They literally turned the stadium into a bathroom in the blink of a starfish last season. Everywhere is a bathroom when you're spraying a poo pipe at people.

#takecommode

They should of called us the Heard and changed our uniforms to an Amber shade, because nobody ****s the bed like the commodes.

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They literally turned the stadium into a bathroom in the blink of a starfish last season. Everywhere is a bathroom when you're spraying a poo pipe at people.

The lack of knowledge you have. 

"The leak came from a storage tank filled with rainwater." -ESPN

5 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

Now I'm imagining Terry's agent pulling a power move and grumping out a log on the negotiating table to secure his client the $25-million per year he deserves. 

Definitely would put a new spin on the phrase "taking one for the team."

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Not called the Commodes for nothing.

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

#takecommode

They should of called us the Heard and changed our uniforms to an Amber shade, because nobody ****s the bed like the commodes.

In fairness, the pipe burst is mismanagement and destruction.  We got that **** on lock.

Let me know when the team is good at building something like a stadium.  (which they also want to make look like a toilet bowl...🤔)  Commodes indeed.

image.gif

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Captain James said:

I guess we're not bringing Collins back then? Come on man.

He knows the defense. If he wants to resign here I would almost guarantee he works out on his own and doesn’t sign until at least training camp, if not later. 

Saves his body and he doesn’t have to worry about any fines or bad press for not being around. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What LBers are still available? 

I really want Collins back, but that probably won't happen until right before mini camps.

I’m not sure there is anyone worth bringing in, or paying any kind of money to. Like you, I think the solution at this stage is to bring Collins back to fill that positional void.

Only caveat being if a player is cut that represents a real upgrade at pure LB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m not sure there is anyone worth bringing in, or paying any kind of money to. Like you, I think the solution at this stage is to bring Collins back to fill that positional void.

Only caveat being if a player is cut that represents a real upgrade at pure LB.

Jamie Collins and Alexander Johnson are the only two that might be worth it, but they don't really seem like much of an upgrade.

We have Davis, Holcomb, Hudson and Mayo and nobody else, right? Don't teams usually carry 6? 

I could see us carry heavy at DB, but we don't really have much back there either.