Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

29 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Sounds like not a lot of room for FA next year minus a Wentz restructure. Any idea how this compares to other teams in the conference?

If Wentz is worth keeping then he’ll be worth restructuring. In fact he’ll probably demand it if his season ends up good enough that we’d want to add any guaranteed money at all from our end. That’s best case scenario really, it means he was good. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

We have stacks of workable cap space, both this year and next. Complete non factor.

The bigger issue is a failure to attract top tier talent, a lack of intent to invest, or an owner that is cash poor. Or maybe a combination of those.

Either way, cap space position is perfectly fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, Conn said:

If Wentz is worth keeping then he’ll be worth restructuring. In fact he’ll probably demand it if his season ends up good enough that we’d want to add any guaranteed money at all from our end. That’s best case scenario really, it means he was good. 

If we sign Wentz to a LTD in 2023 the cap figure will be vet minimum with salary and Bonus money spread over future years. 

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

We have stacks of workable cap space, both this year and next. Complete non factor.

The bigger issue is a failure to attract top tier talent, a lack of intent to invest, or an owner that is cash poor. Or maybe a combination of those.

Either way, cap space position is perfectly fine.

If we win 10+ games and do it respectably and win at least 1 playoff game, we'll attract whoever, but what premier position would we even be considering?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we win 10+ games and do it respectably and win at least 1 playoff game, we'll attract whoever, but what premier position would we even be considering?

Too many unknowns right now in reality. 

22 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

If Wentz is middle of the road, Alex Smith (chiefs) level ... Does the plan pivot to just letting him play out his current deal with intent to play Howell when he's ready? I guess it depends on Howells development and Wentz' level of play.

Its weird because if the question is who is the best QB we've had since Kirk, the answer has by default been Alex. But is that still true? Was Heinicke better than Alex? 

13 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

If Wentz is middle of the road, Alex Smith (chiefs) level ... Does the plan pivot to just letting him play out his current deal with intent to play Howell when he's ready? I guess it depends on Howells development and Wentz' level of play.

I think that situation turns us into a team that is both content to ride out his contract, but still actively looking for "that guy" and will ship Wentz out should "that guy" become available. You don't get rid of him unless you have his better replacement lined up, or part of the package to acquire.

In that timeline we would be probably be eyeing guys in Kyler Murray's situation hard.

5 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Looks pretty close to me:

Alex Smith Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Taylor Heinicke Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Taylor had a slightly higher passer rating and more rushing yards.

What I was measuring is that the offense seemed to be more alive. We had the 6-2 start with Alex but it was all AP and our Kicker. Heinicke was a bigger part of the offense this year (or so it seems)

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I don't think Howell will ever be plan A. If Wentz flames out, it's back to the draft or trade market like this off-season. Sure, there's a small chance Howell is the next Dak Prescott. But pretty small. And you'll know pretty quickly if that's the case.

15 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I don't think Howell will ever be plan A. If Wentz flames out, it's back to the draft or trade market like this off-season. Sure, there's a small chance Howell is the next Dak Prescott. But pretty small. And you'll know pretty quickly if that's the case.

I think you may underestimate how we graded Howell. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can we define the premium positions as QB, LT, WR, DE (and/or maybe now pass rushing DT) and CB?

Of those (assuming Wentz proves he is a top 10-12 type QB - and thats very much a hope at this stage) I would say that we might be in the market for CB and WR. That depends on how Jackson and Fuller play at CB and how Samuels plays at WR (I am assuming McLaurin gets extended). Also Leno will be 32 and his deal gets more expensive after this season with nothing guaranteed on his salary - LT might be something we look at but maybe more of a draft pick than free agent.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you may underestimate how we graded Howell. 

We/They passed over him for 4 rounds. If they really had him graded as a long term solution then they certainly were feeling Vegas in their veins. I'm more prone to feel that they were surprised that SH was still around in round 5 and saw a value pick there. But I highly doubt they had him high on their board but knew that he'd still be there after 143 other picks.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

We/They passed over him for 4 rounds. If they really had him graded as a long term solution then they certainly were feeling Vegas in their veins. I'm more prone to feel that they were surprised that SH was still around in round 5 and saw a value pick there. But I highly doubt they had him high on their board but knew that he'd still be there after 143 other picks.

The talk pre draft was that after getting Wentz we would only look at QB round 5 onwards. I would personally guess we had a day 2 grade on him. Either way, who knows where it ends up.

Back to FA, wonder who is next through the door. 

I hope we're right and they are wrong but I really hate that we missed out on some big name UDFAs.

Smoke Monday I can understand because of the character concerns.

But Kevin Austin, Justyn Ross, Markquese Bell, JoJo Domann, and the LB the Cowboys stole from us.... I'm gonna be mad if any of those guys pop.

I like the names we picked up too though, especially Ferrod Gardner and the DB from VA State, McMorris, Tre Walker, the ND linebacker.... But man there were some household names still available after the draft we missed on. Gonna give our scouts the benefit of the doubt for now.

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The talk pre draft was that after getting Wentz we would only look at QB round 5 onwards. I would personally guess we had a day 2 grade on him. Either way, who knows where it ends up.

Back to FA, wonder who is next through the door. 

If Alexander is fully healed from his torn pec., he'd be my first choice at LB. 

33 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I think if we hadn't made the Wentz trade the plan was to pair Sam Howell in the 2nd round with a journeyman veteran. 

What we ended up with is an even better situation, IMO.

Howell is exciting because his flaws are all fixable. He has the tools.

Just now, RWJ said:

If Alexander is fully healed from his torn pec., he'd be my first choice at LB. 

I like Alexander and Kwiatkoski 1a and 1b. 

Low key I'd love a Will Compton reunion, only because I know it would result in some of our players ending up on his Bussin with the Boys podcast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

What % do you all think of Washington signing McClaurin to a LTD this off-season?. 

99.999 % before June 15th.  If it doesn't happen before then, I'd be concerned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

99.999 % before June 15th.  If it doesn't happen before then, I'd be concerned.

What about Payne? 

2 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I'd be shocked if it didn't happen, so I'd go with about a 90% chance of it happening.

Payne LTD?