Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

21 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The market has already been set. All the guys ahead of Terry have new contracts. The only one left that can surpass them is possibly Cooper Kupp.

All the 4 other receivers will get less than Terry…. so he doesn’t need to wait for them to sign. Terry is getting somewhere between $20-22M/year for 4 years. He’s slotted now.

And if he doesn’t want that, he gets tagged for the next 2 years at that dollar amount anyways. And hopefully whoever the team drafts this year is ready to take over by then…. assuming he isn’t extended.

I don’t agree with it but at least Metcalf is valued more by the league than Terry. Metcalf is an idiot if he doesn’t lock in money now. He’s going to have a rough year next year, a second one in a row

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

I wonder if running it back with Collins (if he’ll come back despite the double pay cut request and then actual cut) is the move

Why didn’t they play more together when they were active?  I imagine this takes into account the beginning of the season when Collins was out of position. 🤷‍♂️

59 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Why didn’t they play more together when they were active?  I imagine this takes into account the beginning of the season when Collins was out of position. 🤷‍♂️

Collins didn't want to play LB or Buffalo Nickel or whatever at the start of the season. 

Our coaches needed to be more assertive with him about that. That's one of the things that annoyed me about last year. They let Landon push them around even though Rivera and Del Rio are supposed to be tough guys.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I wonder if running it back with Collins (if he’ll come back despite the double pay cut request and then actual cut) is the move

hopefully we'll improve in other aspects so it won't be necessary.

4 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

You can’t necessarily blame the team 100% for this. Think about this Aj brown, Deebo, marquise brown, and DK metcalf are all due for deals as well. None of them have signed yet. And it says the team hasn’t made an offer. For one we could be waiting to give extension at time that Collins money kicks in so Terry can get a raise right now. And secondly whose to say that Terry and his agent told the team they wanted to wait to discuss it AFTER the market had been set. If they were smart and I have no reason to think they aren’t it’s 100% the right move to make for Terry and his agent especially knowing the other 4 guys in your draft class that are also due for big extensions. Why would they wanna be the first one of the 5 to sign and set the market just to have one of the other guys get a bigger contract immediately after. 

No offense, but your response doesn’t really suggest you read my post very carefully.  :)

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Collins back on a one year deal in a unique position that he excels at is his best case senerio.

Agreed, It would take him really swallowing his pride to come back with a new lower contract to play a position he was reluctant to play.

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed, It would take him really swallowing his pride to come back with a new lower contract to play a position he was reluctant to play.

Well, nobody is throwing money at a slow safety with bad coverage skills, that doesn't follow assignments, so he doesn't have many better options, so we'll see. 

He was a pita for Ron last year, so they may not even want him back, but for a few weeks at least he was playing his new position like a DPotY candidate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Well, nobody is throwing money at a slow safety with bad coverage skills, that doesn't follow assignments, so he doesn't have many better options, so we'll see. 

He was a pita for Ron last year, so they may not even want him back, but for a few weeks at least he was playing his new position like a DPotY candidate. 

Yeah and if they signed him it would allow the team to focus even more on the offense in the draft

• Like 2

Yeah I think Rivera might just be done with Collins. I think the D will be just fine with Curl/McCain at Safety. Buffalo Nickel seems gimmicky and we'd be vulnerable to all the teams that would just attack that player in coverage anyway, unless we drafted Hamilton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I think Rivera might just be done with Collins. I think the D will be just fine with Curl/McCain at Safety. Buffalo Nickel seems gimmicky and we'd be vulnerable to all the teams that would just attack that player in coverage anyway, unless we drafted Hamilton.

That's why I like Andersen so much. He can play multiple positions on D, mostly MIKE but also nickelbacker in packages and on O too used in packages from time to time.  Players like him are rare.  I think he will be a special player and the team that drafts him will be super happy they did.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Is this an extension after this year or does it now replace the year on the RFA tag?

I’m guessing it replaces the RFA tag therefore the guaranteed money must be at the 2.4mil level to match that tag value. Feels like a goodwill move to drop that original 2.4mil cap hit to be honest. Must have voidable years like the other 2 year deals we have done.

• Like 2

Interesting note on Slye as it will undoubtedly come up, how much of the kickers perceived success is really just how well the offense is doing?

Hopkins did better last season after leaving here, and the reason his FG% was lower in previous years could seemingly be tied to something few appear to pay attention to:Distance.  Not as easy to quote as just a percentage.  75% of Slye's attempts last season were under 40 yards.   Only 28% of Hopkins kicks last season were under 40 yards.  In Hopkins two most accurate seasons(close to 90%), over half of his kicks were from under 40.  In the last two seasons its been much harder under Rivera, instead being 26% and 28% under 40.  At the Charges last season Hopkins hit 90% and 50% of his attempts were under 40.

Outside of the wonder, Tucker, the top 5 FG kickers in accuracy last season all had over 50% of attempts under 40 yards.  That probably means if you want a "good kicker" just get closer to the goal line.  But as fans, we just see a miss or hit and dont take into account whether they are from 38 or 48.

• Like 1

There is a lot of truth to that but the opposite is also true—Hopkins % was bolstered here because we stopped asking him to kick FG’s beyond a certain distance once his leg was established for what it was. We changed our playcalling  and decision-making, noticeably, to account for it and that’s when it became unsurprising that we got rid of him. I harped on it a lot at the time because some still really liked and believed in Hopkins, but he not only limited but dictated our decision-making to the point where we were doing goofy stuff when we were out of his range. 

Now the flip side of that like you said is that that’s much less of a hindrance for a team with a franchise QB and a good offense, that can get the ball closer to the GL more reliably. It also takes the pressure off when you can loosen up bc even if you miss, you trust your stud QB to go throw a TD. That’ll take a lot of pressure off compared to playing for a team like us where your FG’s might just be the only points we accumulate all day! 

So you’re right, but he had weaknesses that you could tell Rivera didn’t want to deal with anymore—even though a stud QB may have made it much more manageable to do so. The dream is to have a good offense AND a stud Kicker who you trust from 50+, of course. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

No kicker competition then? Don't we have 2 Ks?

Do we cut the other guy or keep him for injury insurance?

No. You keep Johnson around for insurance and then sign him to the PS post cutdown day...odds are he gets claimed and finds a home somewhere though.

There's also a chance that a team that loses their kicker could trade for him a la Vedvik getting moved for a 5th a few years ago. Unlikely however as it doesn't seem that this FO has that type of savvy

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

This guy should be brought in for a look 

Jaguars waived LB Dylan Moses.

Moses joined the Jags as a UDFA signing following the 2021 NFL Draft. He was a productive linebacker early in his career at Alabama, but a season-ending knee injury in 2019 has seemingly sapped him of his explosiveness. He opened the 2021 season on the reserve/NFI list and never made an appearance as a rookie. Given his early-career success in the SEC, Moses should be able to find a new team before training camp starts this summer, though his odds of making a final roster remain slim.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

Edited by DWinzit

On 4/9/2022 at 8:12 PM, method man said:

I don’t agree with it but at least Metcalf is valued more by the league than Terry. 

I think the media has created that narrative. But I’m sure football people would rank Terry higher. And once Terry connects with Carson and Metcalf is catching passes by Drew Lock…. Everyone will be on the same page.