Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Landry gets $20M/year that will be bad news for McLaurin negotiations. He's worth more than Landry. By a good bit. 

I have zero worries that happens. He’s 29 and hasn’t been particularly good in a couple years. He is also a slot receiver who operates off volume. He probably goes for under $2 AAV

36 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

I see some posters saying we need to sign Terry no matter what... What if his contract demands are just unreasonable? Trade?

That's the issue when we speak in absolutes, right?

Mostly I'm guessing a lot of posters saying that mean it in the sense that we need to do whatever possible to attempt to get him back and signed.

But it comes across sometimes as an absolute.

And the NFL is a business. I don't make any decisions in business from an "absolute" point of view. There are layers to nearly everything.

So I do think that there are a handful that think he needs to be signed no matter what and the FO can point their magic wand and get him signed against even his own will. But I think most understand that its a layered and nuanced situation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The DJ Moore contract should be the template.  Both basically have the same stats coming into an extension.

I bet it’s more though. If I’m Terry’s agent; I say- that’s a nice comp, but is DJ Moore the face of his team and the one modeling the new unis? Is he a respected team captain and locker room leader?

Echoing what others have said if we can’t get a deal in place this summer I’m letting him explore a trade. I’m willing to overpay but can’t be held hostage if he doesn’t want to be here.

• Like 1

The WR market is bonkers right now and would hesitate to dedicate 10-15% of the cap to players with such high likelihood to miss games, especially if they’ve been in the league a while (Hill and Adams). With all that said, you overpay Mcclaurin if need be, too much value for this franchise this upcoming 3 year window. 

100% believe he stays and wants to. Washington will provide life long financial security and he will continue to be the focal point of an offense, as he has been since day 1. Shocked if Ron let’s a dude like him even think about leaving. 

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

100% believe he stays and wants to. Washington will provide life long financial security and he will continue to be the focal point of an offense, as he has been since day 1.

I hope he wants to stay as well but so would every other possible team that could sign him on the open market.

Shocked if Ron let’s a dude like him even think about leaving. 

I don't think that's really Ron's choice though.  You can let someone know how badly you want to keep them as much as you want, but they have agents, family, other players, etc. all in their ears just the same.

I'm not in panic mode about the lack of information coming out about his contract situation, but I did find one of his comments after the season ended to give me pause.  I can't find it right now, but it's in this thread and the verbiage was all too familiar to verbiage I've seen used before from guys intent on testing the market when they get the option to do so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hope he wants to stay as well but so would every other possible team that could sign him on the open market.

True (of course), but he’s also risking an injury this year affecting his 2nd contract.  Most likely works out for him either way, but only one avenue guarantees him a top contract and puts money in his bank acct sooner rather than later.  It’s absolutely possible he’s willing to bank on himself and/or wants out though.

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Obviously Washington can do it sooner than the rest of teams. I just don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t want to be in Washington. A high percentage of elite performers sign their first post rookie contract with the team that drafted them, no matter the situation of the franchise.

I don't think that's really Ron's choice though.  You can let someone know how badly you want to keep them as much as you want, but they have agents, family, other players, etc. all in their ears just the same.

Very true. Outliers exist, but generally this type of performer resigns with their team lost rookie deal. 

I'm not in panic mode about the lack of information coming out about his contract situation, but I did find one of his comments after the season ended to give me pause.  I can't find it right now, but it's in this thread and the verbiage was all too familiar to verbiage I've seen used before from guys intent on testing the market when they get the option to do so.

Would be curious to see what that is. Unaware of any tension or whatever, so that would change things a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Ravens believe they have made a "very competitive offer" to free-agent linebacker Bobby Wagner, reports Josina Anderson. The longtime Seahawks defensive stalwart also is considering joining the Rams. 

It will be the WC.  He's holding out for the Rams to ante up more money.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we extended Terry and Payne today, what's our cap look like, compared to doing it after June 1rst when the Collins contract comes off the books? 

Assume Terry is getting 20per and Payne 15per.

According to over the cap we have 12.6 M now and about another 12 M post June 1. 

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sebestian said:

According to over the cap we have 12.6 M now and about another 12 M post June 1. 

That June 1st date is important.  When RR was with the Panthers, the team extended Newton on a 5 yr mega deal on Jun 2nd, 2015.  I think this is whey Terry gets extended.  After FA, and the draft is over.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we extended Terry and Payne today, what's our cap look like, compared to doing it after June 1rst when the Collins contract comes off the books? 

Assume Terry is getting 20per and Payne 15per.

unless we dramatically rearrange their salary for next year, should extending them actually do anything to next year's cap?

I hope Terry gets every red cent he can, this joke of a franchise doesn't deserve loyalty. I don't think this FO saving any money would result in improvement, anyway.

Just look at the way they hold on to that 3rd round comp pick, while waiting on the third round of free agency....all while paying Carson Wentz 28 million. Hahahaha, I get that people are desperate to view things in a positive light at this time of the year, but yeah.....let's be real.

Terry deserves better.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thumb down 5

7 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

I hope Terry gets every red cent he can, this joke of a franchise doesn't deserve loyalty. I don't think this FO saving any money would result in improvement, anyway.

Just look at the way they hold on to that 3rd round comp pick, while waiting on the third round of free agency....all while paying Carson Wentz 28 million. Hahahaha, I get that people are desperate to view things in a positive light at this time of the year, but yeah.....let's be real.

Terry deserves better.

what the hell are you going on about here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MrJL said:

what the hell are you going on about here?

I'll type slowly so you can understand it.

1. I hope Terry gets all he can from this organization, if he decides to stay for some unfathomable reason.

2. The money that would be saved by his leaving will likely be wasted. This team has gotten worse this free agency period, outside of QB, despite having the ability to create cap space. I don't think the lack of any meaningful outside FA signings is a matter of cap room.

Frankly, I don't mind if you disagree with me at all, thumb down all of my posts Cooley-style, who cares...but don't pretend that they are that hard to understand, if you want me to bother responding.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thumb down 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

I'll type slowly so you can understand it.

1. I hope Terry gets all he can from this organization, if he decides to stay for some unfathomable reason.

2. The money that would be saved by his leaving will likely be wasted. This team has gotten worse this free agency period, outside of QB, despite having the ability to create cap space. I don't think the lack of any meaningful outside FA signings is a matter of cap room.

Frankly, I don't mind if you disagree with me at all, thumb down all of my posts Cooley-style, who cares...but don't pretend that they are that hard to understand, if you want me to bother responding.

actually it's mostly the rant about trying to hold onto a comp pick as though it's some great sin and the complaining about the QB cost, because pretty much all our other options would have cost almost as much or more cash and more draft capital

• Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

actually it's mostly the rant about trying to hold onto a comp pick as though it's some great sin and the complaining about the QB cost, because pretty much all our other options would have cost almost as much or more cash and more draft capital

Fair enough, yeah...if it reads like a rant, then my tone is typically comedic. It's how I deal with the suffering :)

I don't think keeping the pick is that bad a thing, objectively....and I don't think they could've gotten anyone better than Wentz, either. At the same time, watching all the DL depth float away and not being very active in FA is kinda putting a damper on that. I'm anticipating mediocrity, as usual!

I guess time will tell, either way. Sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat there. We're all good.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

Fair enough, yeah...if it reads like a rant, then my tone is typically comedic. It's how I deal with the suffering :)

I don't think keeping the pick is that bad a thing, objectively....and I don't think they could've gotten anyone better than Wentz, either. At the same time, watching all the DL depth float away and not being very active in FA is kinda putting a damper on that. I'm anticipating mediocrity, as usual!

I guess time will tell, either way. Sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat there. We're all good.

So what free agent moves do you think they should have made so far?  

Do you think they should have been more aggressive than Jacksonville for receivers?

I agree about the DT depth, and it’s a huge risk if there is an injury.  But a) Ioannidis isn’t the same player we fell in love with in this scheme, and b) Settle got a low percentage of snaps last year.  (I would have liked for them to bring him back if the plan was to dump Ioannidis.

They have done a good job of bringing back key FAs like JDMcK, Leno (pre FA), Lucas, McCain, and to a lesser extent Sims and Johnson.  Now they are set up for the draft where they don’t have multiple gaping holes and can go BPA.

What deals would like to have seen?  Then put yourself in the player’s shoes and what type of premium would you add to convince them to come here?

• Like 1

Could all the guys worried we won’t extend Terry, please just relax a bit. Sure there could be a snag and it could go haywire but every thing we have heard indicates he is a priority. 

None of the other wideouts in the same draft have signed any extension, AJ Brown, Dionte Johnson and DK Metcalf. Heck the Titans have just begun discussions w Brown. Everyone maybe just chill a bit. I’m confident it will work out similar to Allen being extended. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/03/titans-a-j-brown-begin-extension-talks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

So what free agent moves do you think they should have made so far?  

Do you think they should have been more aggressive than Jacksonville for receivers?

I agree about the DT depth, and it’s a huge risk if there is an injury.  But a) Ioannidis isn’t the same player we fell in love with in this scheme, and b) Settle got a low percentage of snaps last year.  (I would have liked for them to bring him back if the plan was to dump Ioannidis.

They have done a good job of bringing back key FAs like JDMcK, Leno (pre FA), Lucas, McCain, and to a lesser extent Sims and Johnson.  Now they are set up for the draft where they don’t have multiple gaping holes and can go BPA.

What deals would like to have seen?  Then put yourself in the player’s shoes and what type of premium would you add to convince them to come here?

Since you asked-

I think Settle at that money would've been a good move, and bringing in someone around a similar price point would be fine.

Bringing in a WR in the 5 to 7 mil a year price right would've also been encouraging. I'm not saying I wanted Berrios, per se, but someone around that price point. I'd have been happy with Crowder returning as well. You can never have too many weapons in the modern NFL, and they are not close to that being an issue, even assuming Samuel ever plays.

Another interior lineman to serve as depth behind Norwell and Schweitzer would be ideal.

An LB like Kyzer White would be good at that money.

I don't think they can really go BPA in the draft, as it stands right now. Sure, they will likely address some of this at some point....but I'm not sure it's worth waiting until May to sign the absolute dregs is worth a late 3rd comp pick.

I agree they've done alright resigning some players back, although I think they got lucky with McKissic reneging and would personally have rather seen anyone but McCain back at FS.

I guess we'll see how it goes, either way.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

We are giving Terry a qb, which I think is an important factor in keeping him. As others have said, he deserves better than this. Let’s be honest here, he was drafted by a qb-less, toxic franchise and has since proven to be a true #1 wr in this league. Any agent worth his money, which none are, would force Terry to test the market unless we offer him a massive contract. 

By the way Terry Carrie’s himself, I believe he’s in the minority and cares more about winning… but even he has his price. We clearly haven’t proven to be a winner, but by giving him an actual qb certainly helps the equation. He’s no Brady, but he’s a vast improvement.

to take it way off course, my real concern is turner. Vanilla, milking the clock offense simply isn’t the recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1