Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see if I am wrong.  But this makes me feel the opposite of panic.

A.  Ron has said to death this is the season they have to win

B.  They just placed bets recently on Wentz and their neck is on the line to win with him

C.  They are aggresively creating cap room including even getting rid of guys they like.

Seems like some are betting on

A.  Ron doing this for no reason

The only rationale for him to do it for no reason unless i am missing something is to crarry over cap room to punt on 2022 for 2023.  Nothing else makes sense to me -- and even that reason of punting on 2022 for 2023 makes little season to me.  

This all screams to me they are looking to make some moves here and clearing the deck for it. 

That looks like this yeah.

But they better not whiff on their moves with a Randy Gregory kind of stuff hey!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, German_skin said:

Aggressively creating $27mil in cap space (granted $12mil not until June) sure seems like they are making a big or few bogger moves? Otherwise why do them all now at the same time.... But also this is Washington, so who knows...

Now imagine clearing up cap space for a franchise QB... That would have been fun 

The issue is if they wanted to make big moves why didn’t they do it days ago when everyone was still on the board 

• Like 1

I hope the Flowers cut doesn’t backfire.  He was good for us, durable, loved his dirty work and team attitude.  We could have ridden out the year (then maybe gotten a comp pick), 10mil ain’t bad compared to what they were willing to pay for Scherff, we desperately need to keep Wentz upright, and oline continuity matters.

On a macro level, we’ve gotten significantly worse at G and DT and have created big needs there… so I hope their “plan” is sound.

If we find out this is the only way we could afford an extension for Terry, that does change things for me.

Is Fuller the next man up for a cut if he won’t restructure?  I’m kidding, but……..

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Got a feeling we are all in on a couple of Tier 1/2 players. I mentioned we would do nothing until the official start of free agency, I think both Flowers and Loannidis were asked to take pay cuts and both declined. 

I believe this too.  Posted it as well.  Concerning Flowers and Ioannidis. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The issue is if they wanted to make big moves why didn’t they do it days ago when everyone was still on the board 

Oh I agree.... Ashburn logic... or maybe a trade? Or Wagner at LB? Or just a bunch of middle of the pack signings? 

I'm fine with cutting Ion. He's getting older, has had injuries the last couple of years, expensive, and is no longer a starter. On top of all that, this is a very strong DL draft. We can easily address backup DT in the mid rounds.

I don't like cutting Flowers though. He was arguably our most consistent OL last year and I have no issues paying $10 Mil for a quality starting OL. But John Matsko the OL coach has proven he can basically turn water into wine at that position so they must really believe in their depth and ability to develop guys at those positions.

• Like 3

It HAS to be Wagner, thats the only way I see this Defense truly ascending to the next level.  Ron and Jack both covet the MLB position, they see it as the field general.  If they are not going HARD for Wagner then I would be shocked.  I keep saying this but Its the only way I see us truly getting better out of all of this. 

• Like 2

Norwell is 2 years removed (maybe 3) from re-setting the Guard market. He'd be a nice addition. I don't think he'd command the type of money a top tier Guard would in this Guard market. Maybe $5-6m a year? Either way, going from Flowers to that would still free up $4m in cap space.

Team seems to really like Charles. Could be he and Schweizter lock down the guard spots. BUT we need to draft at least one guard, and sign another guard, who are 53-man caliber. Otherwise we got no depth. Also, we have very few draft picks, unless we nail our late rounders I guess.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

So we couldn’t trade guys like Settle, McKissick, Scheriff, Flowers and Iionnidas? 

Settle, McKissic, and Scherff were Free Agents.

I'm not sure how much value Ion has. He's older, expensive, and has a history of injuries now.

Flowers might have gotten us something though.

Well it’s exciting now if nothing else :ols:

We must be looking at Austin Hooper.

Can’t see Wagner being talked away from joining Wilson in Denver unless we seriously throw big money on the table for 2-3 seasons. Does Rivera get his MLB to match his QB move....

Edited by Est.1974