Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: No Effort Version - Dallas vs. WFT II

KDawg

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

You know you are in trouble when Mayo is on your roster all year no less a starter.

I recall when they signed him and I scoffed, other posters said-oh is just a roster filler , fodder, adding some competition. They purposely signed him as a backup at our weakest position, sad

He wasn't supposed to ever see the field as a LB.  He was signed for special teams.  It's like if Apke was forced to start on defense.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He wasn't supposed to ever see the field as a LB.  He was signed for special teams.  It's like if Apke was forced to start on defense.

Ya but if you sign a linebacker and don’t sign other depth backers he’s likely to see the field. We have a bunch of ST backers. I have no idea why we didn’t go after Perryman. Then again maybe they did and failed.

4 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

That was on obviously a complete beat down.

But I don't understand what Jack Del Rio is doing. Last two weeks he has run the most basic defense scheme on 90% of plays. No stunts, next to no blitz. Just a 4 man rush with a soft zone.  It's like playing prevent defense the entire game.

I get that we have backups and 4th stringers in some spots but the logic makes no sense. He should have just been doing 5,6 even 7 men rushes the entire game.  

Yes, makes the risk of a big play more but by sending only 4 and doing the soft zone you allow the QB to just take all the time in the world and find the open guy.

Plus with backups and guys that haven't played together much they are more then likely to blow a coverage.

Any NFL coach can game plan against a 4 man sorry zone defense being run 90% of the time.

I agree.  If you don't do Plan A because you think the talent from a depleted roster can't pull it off, but then Plan B doesn't work?  Maybe try Plan C, or who knows, shift back to Plan A and see what happens.  If something is failing, it's likely not going to magically stop failing.  If Plan A, B, or C fails, they fail.  Does it matter which one fails if they all fail?

I thought we needed to do more blitzing against the Eagles.  Lots of read-option exchanges with the handoff going away from where a backside defender would affect it anyways.  Blitz the mesh point, force the QB to hand it off.  The direction of the run means that defender isn't a factor unless the RB has some nasty cutback skills.

I think once Collins got hurt, the D coaches have panicked.  They had a scheme around using a player like that well, but they haven't figured out how to scheme up another player.  Or found one whose level of play can be elevated enough for that.  They need to figure out how to use Jamin Davis better (I know he didn't play today), but still...ongoing frustration with his slow development.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

LB was the weakest roster position. They can draft LBs in later rounds that can play STs while learning and contribute with potential to someday start.

You don't get that with Mayo

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ya but if you sign a linebacker and don’t sign other depth backers he’s likely to see the field. We have a bunch of ST backers. I have no idea why we didn’t go after Perryman. Then again maybe they did and failed.

Mayo was LB #6 (or 7) though.  If you get to a point where you need your 6-7th LB, when some teams don't even carry that many...you're kind of screwed regardless.

Bostic, Holcomb, Davis, Norris, Hudson, + the in-season switch of Collins.

It drives me insane what Dallas has built in what 2 years on defense what we've been trying to achieve in the last what 4-5 years? It's like what do you have to look forward to with this team. More questions at QB, are we truly set at RB? Is McClaurin even gonna finish his career here? Is that defense ever gonna be what we want it to be?

Lucky for me I had to work, and listened to about 5 min of the game on the radio when Dallas scored at the end of the 2nd quarter. Good god, even those crappy Pettibon, spurrier and Zorn teams didn't get blown out like that. 

I mean for me I've been a fan since '88, I can remember some serious beatdowns that still hurt:

36-6 vs Phoenix in '93, I mean it was Phx, we always dominated them. I remember being 12 and just crying after that game. IT WAS PHOENIX!!!!

Might as well throw that Phoenix comeback vs us in '92 where Rypien gave them the game. 

45-10 thrashing vs SF on MNF in '98 after Frerotte meltdown vs the Giants in week 1 

41-7 vs Minnesota in '98

27-0 vs Dallas AT HOME in '03 that was a real rough one.

The first 3 games of Marty's season in 2001 30-3 to SD, 37-0 vs GB and 45-13 vs KC

Once the dust settles I'll have a better feeling of where I'll rank this one but it'll be up there. Sure history will say covid, off the field incidents but 56-14 is ugly. I've only seen 2 games where we were in a game where a 50 burger was put up, when we put up 56 vs a Deion Sanders-less Falcons team in '91 and 50 in NY in '99.

I just dont get how you go from crazy hopeful at 6-6 a couple of weeks ago to the same feelings we had during the end of the majority of the Gruden seasons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Our offensive line was terrible. I saw some plays where our tackles barely even attempted to get in the way. Interior is obviously depleted. But it was a jailbreak on every play. The OL was terrible last night. Even for what it was.

Give some credit to the Dallas front but there were literally plays where our OL barely got out of their stance. That is unacceptable. 

Coaching failed at some point.  I saw a few times what looked like gestures/facial expressions from confused OL implying something like "I thought snap count was on (2, 3, etc)?"

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Mayo was LB #6 (or 7) though.  If you get to a point where you need your 6-7th LB, when some teams don't even carry that many...you're kind of screwed regardless.

But Mayo was signed in March. He was the 4th or 5th and considered Bostics backup. Collins wasn't in the picture because his statements had been having zero interest in playing LB and Davis was not on the team. They should have been trying to improve the roster. They brought him because he was yet another Panther

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Norris, Hudson, Mayo all special teamers. Bostic stunk. We have drastically mismanaged the LB position for years and years and years. This group is no different. 

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

But Mayo was signed in March. He was the 4th or 5th and considered Bostics backup. Collins wasn't in the picture because his statements had been having zero interest in playing LB and Davis was not on the team. They should have been trying to improve the roster. They brought him because he was yet another Panther

At the point he was signed he was third I believe.

• Like 1

I read on NBC Sports Washington that a cowboys fan tweeted something like “wow cowboys what did the WFT do to you?” And CB Jordan Lewis (who didn’t play last night) only had to reply with a picture.

The picture? Antonio Gibson waving to the cowboys defense last season on thanksgiving on his 2nd of 3 touchdowns. 

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I read on NBC Sports Washington that a cowboys fan tweeted something like “wow cowboys what did the WFT do to you?” And CB Jordan Lewis (who didn’t play last night) only had to reply with a picture.

The picture? Antonio Gibson waving to the cowboys defense last season on thanksgiving on his 2nd of 3 touchdowns. 

I kind of like that. Hopefully, that means next year it's our turn. 

That's how rivalries are built.

Just now, Burgold said:

I kind of like that. Hopefully, that means next year it's our turn. 

That's how rivalries are built.

One would’ve thought the benches would’ve made us want to beat them even more these two games (or at least this game). But maybe you’re right. Maybe next year will be our turn to use the bulletin board material to beat them 

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

One would’ve thought the benches would’ve made us want to beat them even more these two games (or at least this game). But maybe you’re right. Maybe next year will be our turn to use the bulletin board material to beat them 

Oh no...no no no...you were SO close.  Just move toward the light.  It can all be over soon if you just let the sweet surrender wash over you.

Edited by 86 Snyder

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

One thing is, I dont wanna hear about who we didn't have.  

We didn't have to win last night, but we needed to acquit ourselves better than that.  Couldn't even be competitive for a quarter.

The Saints have a host of important people out tonight, I bet they don't get blown out by 42.

Chargers to start Kenneth Murray at edge; 14 players are on COVID-19 list

The team will find out Saturday which players might come off the list in time to play against the Texans on Sunday

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/24/chargers-to-start-kenneth-murray-at-edge-14-players-are-on-covid-19-list/

Apples to oranges.  Yeah if Dallas was felled too by COVID but just to a lesser amount then i am on board with the analogy

It's not just COVID but the combination of COVID and injuries.    We had one of the most injured teams in the league AND one of the most savaged by COVID.  And we played a team not plagued by COVID who lost guys early this season and they are now coming back at full force.  A Dallas beat guy who talked about this on the radio the week leading to the first match up goes, you guys lost players for the season, Dallas on the other hand not so much, they are getting their guys back to play you.

Imagine us playing Dallas with them down Parsons, all their LBs, Diggs on and on.  While we had Logan Thomas, Chase Young, Mckissic and the whole gang coming back for this game?  I think we'd put a whopping on them just like we did last year when they were short handed.

I agree it shouldn't have been this bad.  But Dallas' talent disparity on the field yesteday was ridiculous.  And to their credit they were up to exploiting that talent disparity.

But lets say even all this isn't true.  A key component in that post is about Davis Mills having a good game.   Yeah if your QB has a good game, you always have a chance.  Garret Gilbert and Heinicke played poorly.  If they had good games, the story might have been different in spite of the stacked odds against them. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If this was September, sure.  But now?  No way.  This isn't the roster the coaches/FO built.

We had zero linebackers against Dallas with any playing time this season, including some brand new to the team.  No Bostic, Holcomb, Collins, Davis, Hudson, or Jared Norris.  That's I think all 6 LB's that were on the opening day roster.  Mayo might have been as well, but Kunascyzk, Eifler, and De'Jon Harris weren't.  So how do you install schemes and design plays after a Tuesday game, with just 4 days, with several players such as Holcomb and Davis suddenly go on the Covid list?  Davis gets prep as the starter within the 4 days, then suddenly before the game he's ineligible...and that's the coaches fault?

The corner group had Fuller but then who else?  Did Danny Johnson and Darryl Roberts even make the opening day roster?  DJ Hayden just got brought on board.  I mean, we're missing Torry McTyer, Benjamin St Juste, and William Jackson.  

On offense, I think 5 of the Top 6 highest paid players are all on IR.  Scherff has played but he's the only one.  Fitzpatrick and Samuel basically haven't played this season.  Roullier/Logan Thomas/Schweitzer are the next 3 highest paid, and they have played some but are all on IR now.  After that is I think Charles Leno.

This isn't exactly the roster that was built.  Injuries + Covid have changed everything.

I think a fairer critique of the coaches is lack of a scheme/plan to make Heinicke better than he is.  He stunk against Dallas 2 weeks ago, then this game starts and he looks just as terrible as before.

Yeah, you make some good points, and I even alluded to injuries and Covid earlier in my post.

I think that I was just speaking from emotion and wanted someone to blame, and by allowing 50+ points, the DC became an easy target. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think that Del Rio is all that good, but yesterday wasn't all his fault.

He deserves to see the season out, but I hope that he's replaced for next year.