Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assault on education

Cooked Crack

NHDem Rep Tells Voter to ‘Shut Up’ Over Parents Rights Bill

Campton Democrat state Rep. Tommy Hoyt has a message for Granite State voters who support the Parents Bill of Rights: “Shut up.”

When a voter sent Hoyt an email urging him to “pass SB272 without any amendments,” Hoyt replied:

“Do you know why children’s results tanked during covid. Their parents were incompetent teachers. Do your children a favor, let the teachers teach, and shut up. You’re clearly no professional.”

Hoyt confirmed to NHJournal that the email is authentic.

Click on the link for the full article

While I agree with the sentiment, telling parents they are stupid isn't the best way to win friends and influence people.  This is how we ended up with Youngkin.

• Haha 2

Pro-Confederacy Teacher Complains About School District’s Probe

A Florida middle-school teacher who had his class watch a self-made, pro-Confederacy video for Confederate History Month has filed a complaint against his school district for launching an investigation into his questionable teaching practices.

Collier County Public Schools looked into a video that Manatee Middle School social studies teacher Jonathan Papanikolaou had his students watch during morning announcements on April 12, local outlet ABC 7 Southwest Florida reported.

“Every year, our state celebrates and memorializes that valiant, brave fight and the countless sacrifices by our men and women during that known as the Civil War, but may be more correctly titled the War To Prevent Southern Independence,” Papanikolaou reportedly narrated in the video.

In the lesson, Papanikolaou allegedly taught about “slaves and property rights, over taxation and a variety of violations of state’s right and sovereignty,” according to ABC 7.

Collier County Public Schools told The Daily Beast that its employee review committee met on April 27 and May 11, and went through a 90-page report about Papanikolaou’s Confederacy lesson. Ultimately the committee found that the lesson didn’t go against the school’s curriculum and there was “no just cause for discipline” despite outrage from parents and community members.

And we have drag queens reading books in revealing stage clothes reading to our kids in our local library.

oh-the-horror-frustrated.gif

Why would you go to an event you don't approve of, let alone bring your kid? I mean like I'm not going to see Ted Nugent or Kenny Bania when they's in town and then take to the internets tweeting my disdain about it. I got way more important **** to do. Like not wax my non existent mustache or clean my 18th century cuckoo clock collection. 

On 5/19/2023 at 8:40 PM, China said:

NHDem Rep Tells Voter to ‘Shut Up’ Over Parents Rights Bill

Campton Democrat state Rep. Tommy Hoyt has a message for Granite State voters who support the Parents Bill of Rights: “Shut up.”

When a voter sent Hoyt an email urging him to “pass SB272 without any amendments,” Hoyt replied:

“Do you know why children’s results tanked during covid. Their parents were incompetent teachers. Do your children a favor, let the teachers teach, and shut up. You’re clearly no professional.”

Hoyt confirmed to NHJournal that the email is authentic.

While I agree with the sentiment, telling parents they are stupid isn't the best way to win friends and influence people.  This is how we ended up with Youngkin.

this framing helps Republican, and I can’t understand why so many democrats insist on it.  blaming parents for the pandemic is ridiculous.  Schools were caught entirely flat footed and parents can’t just quit working and teach for seven hours a day.  Also, including parents on WHAT is being taught or made available is not the same as having parents tell teacher HOW to teach.  

• Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, Destino said:

Also, including parents on WHAT is being taught or made available is not the same as having parents tell teacher HOW to teach.  

But that's all I hear from my friends who are teachers. Parents directly demanding that teachers cannot teach certain things to their kids. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But that's all I hear from my friends who are teachers. Parents dirrctly demanding that teachers cannot teach certain things to their kids. 

One grandparent asked if we could guarantee "no form of CRT" would be included in the curriculum. This is 8th-grade history we're talking about.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

this framing helps Republican, and I can’t understand why so many democrats insist on it.  blaming parents for the pandemic is ridiculous.  Schools were caught entirely flat footed and parents can’t just quit working and teach for seven hours a day.  Also, including parents on WHAT is being taught or made available is not the same as having parents tell teacher HOW to teach.  

Maybe not.  

But passing laws that make it a felony not to ban all mention of anything that one parent got an email telling her to object to something, is.  

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

But that's all I hear from my friends who are teachers. Parents directly demanding that teachers cannot teach certain things to their kids. 

This is the framing problem that @Destino noted.  If you tell a parent that they, as a parent, should have no say in what their kids are taught, of course they are going to be pissed off.  Instead, teachers should tell every parent that their input is valued, and then ignore them. :)

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, youngestson said:

One grandparent asked if we could guarantee "no form of CRT" would be included in the curriculum. This is 8th-grade history we're talking about.

I liked the article about the parent who sued the school, demanding that the school must guarantee that no one in the school may mention homosexuality, or same-sex marriage, to their child.  

The school pointed out that the child has two classmates who have same-sex parents.  

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is the framing problem that @Destino noted.  If you tell a parent that they, as a parent, should have no say in what their kids are taught, of course they are going to be pissed off.  Instead, teachers should tell every parent that their input is valued, and then ignore them. :)

this is what they should have done about three years ago.  That time has now passed because right wing moms for the destruction of public schools, or whatever they’re called, have already established strongholds in school boards all over the country.  The longer democrats persist in wagging their finger at parents smugly saying “shut up we know what’s best for kids” the larger the incursion will grow.  

With luck they’ll create their own controversy.  If they’re smart they’ll have a fairly easy time painting schools as liberal training camps so worried about equity that they have no real plan and no ability, or even an interest, in improving anything for the majority of students.  That they are trying to change grades, and get rid of tests, because they’ve failed so completely at actually improving them anywhere. 

but they’re consistently dumb, and too prone to preaching to their choir, so they’ll probably just do some racist **** and lose all the ground they’ve gained.  Ultimately they have no real interest in improving public schools, and it’s hard to fake it forever.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Larry said:

I liked the article about the parent who sued the school, demanding that the school must guarantee that no one in the school may mention homosexuality, or same-sex marriage, to their child.  

The school pointed out that the child has two classmates who have same-sex parents.  

This is what I mean by self sabotage.  They’re hyper focused on stupid things like gays existing, when that battle is already settled in our society.  Rather than injecting right wing friendly education, like expanding how much history classes dwell on why communism has always been a blood soaked nightmare, they’re focused on revisiting deserted culture war battlefields. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 8:07 PM, Jabbyrwock said:

Not true...schools like UC Berkeley are pricing themselves out of out-of-state attendees.  My son had a huge number of big name schools he got into, but in the end picked a state college because the increase in tuition for simply crossing state lines wasn't remotely worth the price, even with the scholarships.  I'll bet there are any number of kids in Florida that could get into Berkeley, no problem, and will opt for UF or FSU simply because out of state tuition is insane.

Damn, wish my kid was as thoughtful as yours. Michigan was EXPENSIVE out of state. Thank God we planned.

She did graduate top of her class though, and had a wonderful experience. Just wish she’d come back from the winter hell that is Michigan.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Wow! If this video is accurate, Florida seems to be banning any books about diversity, at least in this school.

Well, that is exactly the reason why they passed the laws.  

This isn't some kind of abuse of the law, or collateral damage.  

It's why they were passed.  And why their base endorses it.