Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we come out of this draft with 3 future 1rsts and a top 4 QB I'd be so freaking happy.

I can't see that being in the cards. For one, we can't get more than 2 future 1sts ('25 and '26) if I remember correctly. And if we were to trade down to #13, we'd have to give quite a bit back to move up to #3 or #5 for a QB.

In theory, we could get #13, #44, 2025 1st, 2026 1st ... and then turn around and flip #13, #44 and a '25 1st to move back to #3 for a QB. But that would leave us with our QB and a '26 1st in the end. 

• Like 2

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I can't see that being in the cards. For one, we can't get more than 2 future 1sts ('25 and '26) if I remember correctly. And if we were to trade down to #13, we'd have to give quite a bit back to move up to #3 or #5 for a QB.

In theory, we could get #13, #44, 2025 1st, 2026 1st ... and then turn around and flip #13, #44 and a '25 1st to move back to #3 for a QB. But that would leave us with our QB and a '26 1st in the end. 

I'm 99% sure we're drafting Daniels or Maye at 2 and nothing will change that.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Damn,this is turning into a fun day!!

I love it when this place us filled with positive energy abd excitement!

The doom and gloom stuff has the exact opposite effect, however.

But today is starting off great!

AP hasn't even ****ing told Kingsburry what he's gonna do!!! lol

The stones on this guy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Oh for sure. Just not sure what will be left in their trade chest to swap #2 and #3, but that would be really fun.

Feels like to pull that off it would have to actually be a three way with us ending up with stuff from the Pats or the Pats trading with us to get the majority of the lost from the Raiders

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

That would take the team trading to 2 multiple trades to get to us. So you overpay to get to 4 and overpay us to get to 2. I guess if you love a certain quarterback what’s an extra first round pick.

My point was we better like all 4 QBs at that point, because we would be getting the last of the top 4.  

I wouldn't be sad about the extra draft capital, but it's risky if you are assuming which guy falls to 4.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It's a fair criticism, no doubt. But I did hear a good point made yesterday, from JP Finlay of all people, that older players coming out is going to be the new normal with NIL and players staying in college longer.

We'll see how it shakes out, I don't know for sure but I thought it was interesting that Daniels could be the start of top QB prospects at an "advanced" age. No idea how that will eventually impact the NFL. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Trading down to #3 and getting draft picks + getting your QB would be wizardry and a great start for this front office. It's certainly a possibility.

If the guy is Daniels, and Maye is who the Patriots wants, then it should be an easy deal to execute, esp. since NE knows LV wants to come up for Daniels, meaning #2 could be available.

If Maye is the guy and Daniels is who the Pats want, even better. 

We'll see - the longer we go without certainty on the pick, the more the door is open for something crazy to go down.

Months of discussion of trading down.  All in good spirits.  I know your dream is to get the dream QB while loading up on a zillion picks too -- having our cake and eat it too on sterioids. 

But its felt like a big time fantasy and even more so today.  But to each their own. :ols:

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Crazy hypothetical that won’t happen. But curious on others thoughts. 

Let’s say the chargers offered Herbert and a 3rd rounder (or if you think that’s rich, name your pick - 4th/5th/whatever) to move up to number 2. The additional compensation is obviously because we’d be taking on his contract. Would you do it?

Keep in mind with the additional capital we’d have that much more ammo to move back up. As in, potentially we could move up and draft Mims and walk out of this draft with Herbert, Amarius Mims and still have probably one second and one third round pick. 

It would totally rewrite our salary cap and could be a hindrance in that sense but the value gained could be worth it. Thoughts?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

My point was we better like all 4 QBs at that point, because we would be getting the last of the top 4.  

I wouldn't be sad about the extra draft capital, but it's risky if you are assuming which guy falls to 4.

I think the goal for us, is to go back one slot to pick three and select either McCarthy (my best guess) or Maye.

The goal for the Raiders is twofold-- first to get to three, then to get to two so they can take Daniels, by giving us Crosby or Adam's plus pick 3.

The Pats end up with the Raiders first round pick, and get the majority of the Raiders traded draft picks to rebuild a team clearly bereft of talent.

Everybody wins-- assuming Daniels is not our preferred pick.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, moondog said:

Let’s say the chargers offered Herbert and a 3rd rounder (or if you think that’s rich, name your pick - 4th/5th/whatever) to move up to number 2. The additional compensation is obviously because we’d be taking on his contract. Would you do it?

Keep in mind with the additional capital we’d have that much more ammo to move back up. As in, potentially we could move up and draft Mims and walk out of this draft with Herbert, Amarius Mims and still have probably one second and one third round pick. 

It would totally rewrite our salary cap and could be a hindrance in that sense but the value gained could be worth it. Thoughts?

I would make that trade. But the Chargers cant make that trade. It is like a 50 million dead cap hit for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

That would take the team trading to 2 multiple trades to get to us. So you overpay to get to 4 and overpay us to get to 2. I guess if you love a certain quarterback what’s an extra first round pick.

It would be similar to what the Eagles did to work their way up the draft to get Wentz. I don’t see it, but it’s happened in the past technically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moondog said:

I'd do it. We have the cap space and herbert is what we hope someone like maye becomes

• Thumb up 1

Thinking about the three QBs IMHO what they need to do to become elite, and I think all have a shot

Jayden Daniels:  dude when you are dodging defenders in the pocket you look like a wizard, Mahomes like on some plays.  But the problem is instead of throwing the ball after dodging three defenders in the pocket, you way too often just take off.  Instead, throw the ball.  Your rotational accuracy is good, you make good throws off platform but it needs to be your mindset to do it much more.

Drake Maye:  dude you can use some McCarthy or even Daniels chill calmness.  You can get jittery in the pocket when you see pressure, hence I do think it effects your footwork especially when making throws on the first level and off platform.  And some say its why you aren't always hot with the game on the line.  You even talk with some nervousness.  Learn to calm down a little in everything you do.

JJ McCarthy:  dude you likely run a 4.5 but we barely know it.  The opposite extreme of Daniels -- you are way too conservative using your legs, if you become a dual threat, watch out!  Also learn to layer your throws a bit, throw with more touch

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, moondog said:

Saw a tweet from a Chargers beat reporter yesterday that said: 'Chargers are NOT drafting a QB.'

Also: Chargers would take mammoth cap hit, biggest ever, something ridiculous like $100M, if they traded Herbert. Simply can't and won't happen.

Also: Herbert has full no-trade clause.

Adam Schefter sounds off on if Justin Herbert gets traded during draft

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/adam_schefter_sounds_off_on_if_justin_herbert_gets_traded_during_draft/s1_13132_40277550

some have questioned whether the Chargers could trade quarterback Justin Herbert during the draft in order to reunite head coach Jim Harbaugh with his former Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy — a suggestion that seemed to enrage ESPN insider Adam Schefter, who sounded off on the possibility of the situation playing out on a recent appearance on ESPN Radio’s “Unsportsmanlike.”

“They are not drafting J.J. McCarthy,” Schefter said. “… The Chargers have Justin Herbert, the new money in Herbert’s contract has not kicked in, they can’t trade Justin Herbert. So, they’re not drafting J.J. McCarthy as their first pick to create a controversial situation in L.A. about who they should start at quarterback when they’ve drafted a franchise quarterback in Justin Herbert and he’s the guy. I don’t know how the odds on that one ever got to [6-to-1].”

Edited by Dah-Dee

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Well, that puts a dent in the Harbaugh didn’t trust him enough to lean on him argument.  Of course, I wouldn’t say it totally dispels it either.

"not counting screen passes" means his fact is worthless. Screens are a big part of the game. Ignoring them doesnt change that. 

All you have to do is look at last year's mock drafts to know no one knows anything. So many people had Levis going 2! And not early mock drafts -- I'm talking the day before the draft.

I'll be fine with any of the three.  Daniels is an interesting case study.  People in the game -- coaches, scouts, etc -- seem to love him and see him as the consensus number two pick. Yet blogger boys who watch All-22 are in love with him. And they love to point out how young Maye is -- and he seems it in those interviews, so does JJ. I'm not so sure that's the selling point people think it is.  

Anyway, we'll see.

Exciting!