Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Sure, communication between the ownership and GM/HC is nice and all. But do we really want them basing much of their decision making on what one of the owners thinks and wants? Haven't we been down this road before?

I think they might ask his opinion on Caleb and his dad, but it won't take any more precedence than other people they talk to. I doubt it will be "OMG Magic says he's A-OK so that's all we need! Guess it's time to give up a haul to move up for him!"

If Magic says nice things it will probably be "Thanks for the input, duly noted" and they'll put it in the binder with the other research and opinions on the issue.

DQ wanted Kingsbury. Magic said I will go get him for you. This is Magic Johnson not Dan Snyder. No one is telling Magic we don’t want your help or involvement. 

• Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Just for the record here are my current predictions:

Draft Maye at 2 overall - 45% chance

Trade up for Caleb - 30% chance

Draft Daniels at 2 overall- 20% chance

Anything else - 5% chance

so anything else includes draft Caleb at 2?  I mean if Caleb wants to play here and is going to make it clear he won't play for the Bears picking him at 1 why not make it clear trading up gets the same results.  After all, us having more resources is good for him

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I do know even Mariota knows he ain't QB1 jus cause he's only QB on the roster right now...

tis.gif

It was definitely a joke, but he is the only QB on the roster, so it's true.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

DQ wanted Kingsbury. Magic said I will go get him for you. This is Magic Johnson not Dan Snyder. No one is telling Magic we don’t want your help or involvement. 

Helping on the business end of securing a coach is a completely different thing than carrying any kind of real weight in what players the team drafts. Harris isn't going to interfere and I doubt he wants the other partners interfering with that either. He brought GMAP and DQ in for a reason: to give them the room to make those decisions.

The idea that if Magic says the Williams people are hunky dory in his book that GMAP and DQ will go "Cool! Time to trade up I guess!" is asinine and delusional.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was definitely a joke, but he is the only QB on the roster, so it's true.

True that he'd QB1 if we had to play this Sunday, yes...but we dont...so... : )

Edited by Renegade7

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- No Howell, No Way. Howell traded to the Seahawks. Mariotta vs Fromm battle for QB1
5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Helping on the business end of securing a coach is a completely different thing than carrying any kind of real weight in what players the team drafts. Harris isn't going to interfere and I doubt he wants the other partners interfering with that either. He brought GMAP and DQ in for a reason: to give them the room to make those decisions.

The idea that if Magic says the Williams people are hunky dory in his book that GMAP and DQ will go "Cool! Time to trade up I guess!" is asinine and delusional.

If they all have him rated at 1 and according to Wilbon they do, then having Magic build a relationship with Caleb’s dad who has already publicly stated he doesn’t want Caleb to play there  is more than reasonable. What’s delusional is thinking that won’t happen if they want to move up, 

5 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Howell had one of the lowest yds/att in the league among starters and still managed a league-worst 21 INTs. 1st Down % and QB rating also near worst. 

The only guy he really beat out in some of those stats was probably Bryce Young, who was the only other QB with sacks in the 60s.

He's 23 and going into his 3rd year so maybe there's time, but he was not really a "proven starter". He was a guy who ended up starting.

The new regime clearly was not impressed and is cleaning house. That's fine with me.

We don't know what he was because the entire surrounding piece of the offense was a complete and total ---- show. Neither WR, NEITHER ONE created even top 50 target separation in 2023. How total --- is that? VERY. 

Bienemy? You guys basically wanted to launch him back to KC via trebuchet all season.

OL? Worst OL performance probably of my entire lifetime following the team (late 1970s). 

TE's? Rookie QB's security blanket? Nope. Logan Thomas was blech....

No elite playmakers to speak of on offense. 

Ron out the door by October.

Teammates quit in November....

But I'm supposed to take the season long stats as a reasonable, and gospel. Is this Jalen Hurts landing in Philly? Or is this David Carr landing in a dumpster fire 22 years ago? I think I know the answer.

I don't know what he is. He may fade out like Patrick Ramsey did in Denver after leaving, who knows, we'll find out. The only thing I know for sure is that it was highly unfortunate that he was saddled with this ---- team for his one chance to win a starting job in his career so far. 

So glad we're giving our new QB a higher floor side, even if its still crap. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Howell gets that kind of return and people think the bears can’t get anything for fields? They never had any intention of trading him

Howell has two years left on his deal, Fields had 1 year, plus a rookie option that had to be immediately picked up, and Fields was straight --- in '21 and '23 despite having a solid OL, and quality WR's and a quality TE, and similar RB talent. 

Teams are fairly certain Fields is broken as a passer, Howell isn't. 

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I feel bad for Howell.  He looked like he could take the next step early until he got Ramsey'd.  

Seattle has much better offensive talent than we did, so if he can beat out Geno, or if Geno gets hurt, he'll have his best chance ever, a much better one than we did, especially if they keep Metcalf, or replace him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If they all have him rated at 1 and according to Wilbon they do, then having Magic build a relationship with Caleb’s dad who has already publicly stated he doesn’t want Caleb to play there  is more than reasonable. What’s delusional is thinking that won’t happen if they want to move up, 

Again, if Magic wants to talk to pops and give his take, no problem. But the idea that it will play some sort of outsized role in whether they decide to try and trade up for him is nonsensical. They'll just say "Thanks for the input" and file it with all the other data they've collected on Caleb. It's nothing like getting Kingsbury, which was a business move and where Magic has a lot of experience.

And Wilbon doesn't know any more about who they have slotted where or what their plans are than any other rando sports analyst.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, oraphus said:

guys cmon... i mean yes, a hundred different things can happen. We could draft a qb at #2, but he breaks his leg going up to the podium and Mariota gets hit by car.. so Howell starts the season as the only QB on the roster 🤪

I am just looking at the most likely scenario and one that makes the most common sense....i guess i can be completely off base, but I doubt it, time will tell.

its between these 2 options to me:

They compete, but we still carry 3 qbs into the season.

We trade Howell pre or post draft.

*** and i highly doubt we get anything more than a 5th for him.

My point is that they know what they have in Mariota, there is plenty of tape and they did not bring him in to compete... they brought him to be the 1st string backup..and possibly even start the first few games if the rookie struggles. Its a 6mil min contract with up to 10mil (with incentives), thats a high end backup contract. You dont make that kind of commitment to a guy you dont expect to be pencilled in as the backup QB. its not like Harris has 6-10mil burning a whole in his pocket and he just wants to spend it on something.. and yachts are just not that cool anymore.

Also, this regime didnt draft Howell.. so they have no loyalty to him and based on the roster purge we saw over the last few weeks... they might want to send him packing as well.

Sure, i guess its possible that if Howell is on the roster in training camp and finds his inner Brady over the summer and looks so damn impressive in training camp, that he wins the job outright...  but i dont see it. (happy to be wrong though)   .. and i dont see his presence undermining a top drafted rookie, not even remotely... as a 5th rd pick that didnt play well he is basically a nobody on this roster.

woohoo.. common sense wins again 😜

30 minutes ago, MrJL said:

so anything else includes draft Caleb at 2?  I mean if Caleb wants to play here and is going to make it clear he won't play for the Bears picking him at 1 why not make it clear trading up gets the same results.  After all, us having more resources is good for him

Yeah - Caleb will want to be 1OA both for pride and contract reasons and we have more than ample resources to make that happen. (the "come get me" dynamic). I highly, highly doubt Caleb goes anywhere outside 1 overall (even though destination might not be set in stone).

1 hour ago, HogsVa7 said:

I don't think we are trading up to get Williams. I believe Peters is going to build through the draft, but definitely take a QB at 2, and fill our roster needs with all of our picks. For EVERYONE on the board here, I'm just going to say this. We put our faith in RG3, and it didn't work out. The people on here have ptsd from the RG3 era and don't want to draft Jayden Daniels. The same people on here who want to draft Maye were ALL in on Howell last season.  I'm a diehard fan for Uva,  even though they suck at football. I have seen plenty of ACC football last year, and Drake Maye is not the QB that is going to translate well to the NFL. His mechanics is all messed up. I'm just going to say this, and I'm not even trying to be funny, if Daniel Jones and Zach Wilson have a baby then you will will get Drake Maye.

I agree with what you said about RG3 ptsd influencing people’s thinking here a bit too much, and causing them to have an irrational bias against Daniels.  I’m glad that AP and crew don’t seem to have that particular flaw in their thinking and hopefully won’t be swayed by that nonsense.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Just for the record here are my current predictions:

Draft Maye at 2 overall - 45% chance

Trade up for Caleb - 30% chance

Draft Daniels at 2 overall- 20% chance

Anything else - 5% chance

Id put it more like:

Maye at #2: 50-55% chance

Daniels at #2: 40% chance

Caleb Trade up: 5-10% chance

Im confused at all the Caleb talk now. I don't think anything's changed at all, the Bears are still taking him 90-95% chance of that. Is it possible they're forced to trade out? Yes, but that's basically happened twice in the past 41 years. At best, the chances of it happening again are probably around that 1 in 20 area. Possible yes, but highly unlikely. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

We don't know what he was because the entire surrounding piece of the offense was a complete and total ---- show. Neither WR, NEITHER ONE created even top 50 target separation in 2023. How total --- is that? VERY. 

Bienemy? You guys basically wanted to launch him back to KC via trebuchet all season.

OL? Worst OL performance probably of my entire lifetime following the team (late 1970s). 

TE's? Rookie QB's security blanket? Nope. Logan Thomas was blech....

No elite playmakers to speak of on offense. 

Ron out the door by October.

Teammates quit in November....

But I'm supposed to take the season long stats as a reasonable, and gospel. Is this Jalen Hurts landing in Philly? Or is this David Carr landing in a dumpster fire 22 years ago? I think I know the answer.

I don't know what he is. He may fade out like Patrick Ramsey did in Denver after leaving, who knows, we'll find out. The only thing I know for sure is that it was highly unfortunate that he was saddled with this ---- team for his one chance to win a starting job in his career so far. 

So glad we're giving our new QB a higher floor side, even if it’s still crap. 

Only 2 points in rebuttal:

1) Jacoby came in and lit it up with next to no time to prepare with that same line and group of receivers.

2) Far from being unlucky, he was probably the luckiest 5th rounder in many a moon to be given the keys to the kingdom with virtually no QB competition.  He simply failed.  That’s ok on him.  I’m sure he’ll have a perfectly fine career in insurance sales.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zCommander said:

They didn't get rid of Howell to draft Maye, who by some is basically Howell 2.0 but taller. They will draft Jayden Daniels. 

So because they went to the same school that means Maye is exactly like Howell but taller? That's pretty lazy.

• Like 5