Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Here’s something interesting: Kingsbury comes from a pass first background.  The offense he grew up in is literally called the “air raid offense.”  

His background is “pass from the pocket first.”  

They brought in Brian Johnson who’s been with the Eagles the last 2 years.  They are more of a run first team and have one of the two truly successful duel threat QBs in the league. Hes the passing game coordinator and Assistant HC.

the also brought in Anthony Lynn.  He’s the Run game coordinator and running backs coach.  He spent the last 2 seasons with the 49ers and that run game.

So the OC has a primarily pass-first background.

The passing game coordinator worked with a run-oriented team with a dual threat QB.

The Run Game coordinator came from one of the best run schemes in the NFL.

Do what does that tell us about which type of QB the team might like?

In a vacuum, Maye is much closer to the QBs he’s worked with before except for Kyler Murray.   Physically, he’s very athletic and has a great arm. 

However Brian Johnson might really favor a QB who can add to the offense with their legs, having been around Hurts the last couple of years?

Lynn might like either.  He had the end of the Rivers era when he was the HC of the Chargers.  

It’s tough to tell what the offense is going to look like.

Do they favor truly being a dual threat offensive team or a more traditional pass-first team?  

Im going to guess they want to be pass first with the ability to run.  But that’s entirely a guess.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Honestly I’m surprised more of you aren’t just going to enjoy the ride and be comfortable with whoever they pick. The obvious is that we have no control as fans. But I would like to feel settled in the fact that professionals are finally running the organization until it becomes undeniable that they are not. 

I personally learned enough from the Cousins/Griffin situation to know I am not going to enjoy it if ‘my guy’ doesn’t get picked so I just won’t have a guy until he is here. So ima root for Peters and Quinn and whoever they pick is gonna be my guy until he isn’t. So much easier that way (for me, I guess) 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Honestly I’m surprised more of you aren’t just going to enjoy the ride and be comfortable with whoever they pick. The obvious is that we have no control as fans. But I would like to feel settled in the fact that professionals are finally running the organization until it becomes undeniable that they are not. 

I personally learned enough from the Cousins/Griffin situation to know I am not going to enjoy it if ‘my guy’ doesn’t get picked so I just won’t have a guy until he is here. So ima root for Peters and Quinn and whoever they pick is gonna be my guy until he isn’t. So much easier that way (for me, I guess) 

I agree with you completely. I'm enjoying knowing we have a crack at a franchise guy.

But it's fun to bark my uneducated opinion about it to my friends. 

I'm mostly in here to be the color guy in a room full of play by play commentators. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Still hoping we go Maye. Still surprised at how much Daniels-bashing there is in this thread, under the guise of defending Maye (from supposed media critics, not even folks posting here) or 'balancing things out'.  Just wow.

It was Maye, and not Daniels, who had a first-team All American RB (Hampton, who I'm hoping we see discussion of Commanders drafting next year, kid is a stud). Maye also had a better weapon at TE, played *vastly* inferior competition, didn't rise to the occasion when he did play better defenses, made way too many head-scratching throws that make you question the whole 'high football iq!' thing, and was just overall inconsistent over 2 up and down years at UNC. I want him on the Commanders for his combination of size, arm, and athleticism  - but he needs work and imo has a low floor because of the inconsistency we've seen over an extended period of time. Maye also had the benefit (vs. Daniels) of the much simpler Air Raid offensive system at UNC (the same sytem that produced his bigger year in 2022) instead of the hybrid pro/spread attack at LSU. Despite all of those issues, I am hypnotized by some of the sick, sick bullets Maye throws, often making it look easy, and keep thinking to myself, holy crap, the guy doing this is only 21! Just really excited to see what he turns into with some quality NFL coaching.

Daniels had a good, not great OL (I think folks are imagining this is the LSU of 7-8 years ago when they were regularly sending OL prospects to the NFL, those days are gone). He had a running back by committee behind him where nobody ever asserted themselves despite some prospect pedigree there. Daniels also had a coaching staff who said more than once publicly they were trying to balance developing Daniels as a passer while using the weapons they had to win (specifically referencing his running ability); and they could have done a better job there, the vast majority of his designed runs were right up the gut, with little chance to get to the sidelines before getting tackled. 

That said, really tired of seeing clips of the same 2-3 "ragdoll" hits on Daniels last year - I've now watched every 2023 snap of the LSU offense and fact is, those 'lowlight' hits were the ONLY bad hits he took all year (and two of those few bad hits were flagged, and one resulted in ejection for targeting), and those were in the first handful of games last year. He improved at avoiding big hits, and was never terrible there to begin with, just accept that people. We also seem to be much more concerned with the potential for injury with him (yes, I also have RG3 PTSD) than NFL teams are, only quotes I've seen from execs dismiss it as a concern.

Stats also show that Daniels was more effective (per QBR, NFL passer rating) at virtually every level of the field (I think the lone exception was maybe 1-5 yard area on the right side?) than Maye (and Williams). Tried hunting down the related charts in this thread but I'm apparently too old to interwbez good enough for that.  So no, his arm isn't the strongest, but it's strong enough. 

Don't understand why folks feel the need to say, "I'd be happy with either Maye or Daniels" and then proceed to list all the reasons they'd be unhappy with Daniels.

I want Maye. I don't want Daniels, primarily because I don't want to gnash my teeth and chew my fingernails to the bone every time Daniels snaps the ball, waiting for one monster hit to end his career. 

But I can also see that Maye has warts beyond the token 'mechanics' throwaway we keep seeing here.

Now I'm going to go rest my throat after writing all those words, my hands are hoarse.

/end rant

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree with you completely. I'm enjoying knowing we have a crack at a franchise guy.

But it's fun to bark my uneducated opinion about it to my friends. 

I'm mostly in here to be the color guy in a room full of play by play commentators. 

You are on good form today, I’ll give you that.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Here’s something interesting: Kingsbury comes from a pass first background.  The offense he grew up in is literally called the “air raid offense.”  

His background is “pass from the pocket first.”  

They brought in Brian Johnson who’s been with the Eagles the last 2 years.  They are more of a run first team and have one of the two truly successful duel threat QBs in the league. Hes the passing game coordinator and Assistant HC.

the also brought in Anthony Lynn.  He’s the Run game coordinator and running backs coach.  He spent the last 2 seasons with the 49ers and that run game.

So the OC has a primarily pass-first background.

The passing game coordinator worked with a run-oriented team with a dual threat QB.

The Run Game coordinator came from one of the best run schemes in the NFL.

Do what does that tell us about which type of QB the team might like?

In a vacuum, Maye is much closer to the QBs he’s worked with before except for Kyler Murray.   Physically, he’s very athletic and has a great arm. 

However Brian Johnson might really favor a QB who can add to the offense with their legs, having been around Hurts the last couple of years?

Lynn might like either.  He had the end of the Rivers era when he was the HC of the Chargers.  

It’s tough to tell what the offense is going to look like.

Do they favor truly being a dual threat offensive team or a more traditional pass-first team?  

Im going to guess they want to be pass first with the ability to run.  But that’s entirely a guess.  

With whatever Maye they chose, I assume they're going to be a run first team to protect the rookie, because that's what smart coaches do. Not put the entire offense on their shoulders.

They've said they love BRob and they brought in Ekler who is great at attacking the edges, so they're taking that part very seriously. 

Run the ball, attack the edges and hit the deep middle of the field passing.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

You are on good form today, I’ll give you that.

This island has the largest St Paddys celebration in the caribbean and the parade is today.

It's one of the most glorious **** shows I've ever been a part of. Our float usually places top 3 and wins often.

I am trying not to drink right now and I have zero control when it comes to parades.

So, I am trying to catch up on yard work, before I go up to the states for another eye surgery and it is very very hard.

I have eaten some mushrooms though.  :ols:

• Haha 8
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Conn said:

If they don’t find something to like in the top 3 prospects then we aren’t getting a franchise QB under this regime and it’s already over but for the crying, no matter how competitive we get otherwise. You cannot expect better prospects than those three in any given year, in fact they’re usually worse, even at the top—and we aren’t usually at the top. You are never getting the #1 pick and the perfect dream prospect (and people even had problems with Luck, Lawrence, and Williams btw), this is as close as we’re getting and it took the overall absolute worst roster, coaching staff, and play calling in the league and a total organizational and locker room surrender to even miracle ourselves into #2. We’re extremely, unbelievably lucky to be in the position we’re in and the prospects are very good. And people are spitting in the face of our fortune. You’re not getting your eyes on better prospects in future years. So pick the best one and commit, and build around them. Trading back for worse prospects is not the answer. 

To your point that the stars have basically aligned for us to be in a position to grab a blue chip guy, I am so in agreement here.  Not taking one of them would be like spitting in the face of karma, fate or whatever.  Or just not playing the odds right if you’d prefer. 

With that said, two things that I feel like are being maybe slightly glossed over (I’m not saying by you, or saying they necessarily make a difference in this instance though)…  

One, you alluded to in the past - the importance of factors beyond the tangible.  Background checks - talking to coaches, family, friends, teammates, etc., leadership, competitive drive, decision-making, work ethic, attitude, coolness under pressure, grit, etc.  Not to mention rapport between coaches/qb, trust, etc.  We maybe get a little too hung up on the tangible stuff.  Outside of Mahomes (the player he is today, not the prospect), every quality qb over the years has had warts.  Obviously the fewer obvious warts, the better, but those warts really get either minimized or magnified by the intangibles. 

Two, the effect of draft status.  The pressure of starting an early pick immediately and all that comes with it.  Generally speaking, IMO, the more variables to learn something, the longer it’s going to take.  So learning mechanics, the offense, protections, reading defenses, speed of the game, how to deal with guys older and more established, and on and on… that can take significant time.  With a guy drafted a bit later, it’s perfectly acceptable to either start them right away, or have them sit for a time, in essence checking off (or at least moving the needle on) some of those boxes prior to seeing the field.  Not saying this outweighs other concerns, but its a philosophical aspect that might vary from team to team.

And attached to both of those points is the idea that staffs really don’t know exactly what they have or should expect until they get a guy in-house.

Last piece I’ll add, in terms of the risk vs reward of waiting on a later prospect and not knowing who other teams will take ahead of you, I think there’s a bit more leeway and knowledge amongst teams.  I think teams often have a sense (and open line of communication) regarding what other teams will do (who they like, if they’re willing to move up/down, etc), and have backup plans in place.  I don’t think its quite as simple as “if you like a guy, you have to take them as soon as possible”. 

So all told, bearing in mind I don’t really have a take /position on what this team or others should do, I have to wonder if things are potentially a bit more flexible/variable than we’re giving credit for.  I think its possible Chicago likes Drake more than Caleb, that McCarthy goes 2, 3, or 4, Daniels falls out of top 3, etc, etc, even if the odds are that the general consensus is the correct one.

I suppose for me, the crux of my post is that this offseason has been a bit of a lesson on certainty.  The certainty that Ben Johnson was the favorite here or Quinn was a fallback, that Wagner wouldn’t sign with us, that Howell wouldn’t net anything, and now, that Chicago is (staying put and) taking Williams, we’re taking Maye, and NE will draft Daniels.

Ok, I’ve rambled enough.  Feels like there’s a ton of things I’ve said that can get picked apart, debated, or that I could wax on about with far more nuance.  Long story short, I’m looking forward to seeing how things play out, both for our team and others.  I think it’s going to be interesting, and I’m guessing we’ll see some surprises.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

However Brian Johnson might really favor a QB who can add to the offense with their legs

That's scary though, cuz if they try the Brotherly Shove with Daniels, he'll fold up like an accordian.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

As a true undecided (who is currently slightly leaning towards Jayden) this is the best new argument I've read for preferring Maye over Daniels.

The one thing even his most adamant critics admit is that Maye is a fearless maestro savant on throws over the middle.

Daniels, either because his offense doesn’t require it, or because he lacks the ability to do it well, typically avoids throws inside the hash lines.

If OCKK intends to target the middle with his new offense there's not a better q.b. in the draft he could select.

I like it.

This moves the needle significantly towards Maye for me.

@The Consigliere 's overall point I agree with to me there are more red flags with Daniels.  And before someone showers me with tweets that say the opposite, i am aware.  Draft community is divided, no doubt.  But I spent enough time watching both where I can hang on my own opinion without worrying what draftnik agrees with me or not.

Some say mobile QBs are more bust proof.  Not sure I agree.  Fields is an amazing runner -- we see the market for him today.  Lance is a bust.  Willis is looking like a bust.  Mariota ran a ton at Oregon.    Some sold Ridder because of his wheels.  Wheels are helpful but don't make anyone bust proof.

For Daniels to be a franchise QB, I'd hope his accuracy can be extended to throwing more with anticipation.  I'd work heavy with him on making off platform throws.  If they can make him lethal off platform, i think that's the key for him to be great.  Because he can't tuck it and run like he did in college when flushed out of the pocket to that extent.   He will get killed by defenders and they will put a spy on him on the permieter so he can't just take off especially to his right with ease.  But if he can Caleb style (and yes Maye to some extent, too) make big plays off platform in the NFL, I think he can be great.

For Drake Maye IMO he needs to stop rushing his delivery with the sign of pressure.  His mechanics get out of sorts and then misses what some say are layups.  And while he makes some great off platform throws, he's hit and miss with it because his machanics aren't consistent on that front.  Those are the two things IMO he needs to fix.   And I get watching him miss some easy throws on the first level makes him open to criticism -- that's been the center of the critiques on him.

The reason why I like Maye better is when I've looked at QBs over the years.  So many of them have a sweet spot and struggle with certain other throws or they just rarely make them.  Daniels falls in that category for me.  I recall Haskins (RIP) was great with shallow crossers (mesh routes) in between the numbers and threw a ton of them.  But his accuracy wasn't hot outside the numbers.   I recall Louis Riddick would defend that criticism as to Haskins and showcase some nice deep out route throws and say "see!". 

But the issue is really every one of these QBs make every type of throw on occasion.   I can defeat any argument on these QBs by showing that they occasionally do it.  But that's part of the reason why am not a big Riddick guy.  I found his explanation shallow about Haskins.  And what makes it worse for me is he says so many things with absolute conviction.  If that dude was that level good evaluating QBs where he can land opinions with 100% conviction he'd be working in the league versus on ESPN.

The thing is do the QBs do it often enough where you can say they are good at that type of throw.  And that to me is Maye's charm.  It's unusual for me to watch college QBs closely and come off of it thinking wow these dude makes all the throws.  First level.  2nd level.  3rd level.  Inside the numbers.  Outside the numbers.  Vary their speed on the ball.   Good arm strength.  Good touch.  Throws with anticipation.  Makes contested throws.  Everything.  

To use a baseball analogy he's not just a 1-2 pitch starting pitcher.  He's got the full arsenal.  No doubt he needs to fine tune a couple of those pitches.  But IMO he comes off as a dude that a coaching staff would have fun molding because he starts with all the tools.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

I was wondering about Penix too and those no.s and what I think about the chart, My opinion, he sucks at moving around to get a throw off so he does not. He is going to stay in there when every other QB as already put their feet to work. He got beat up by Mich. and it cost them the game. He should have threw the ball away instead of just chucking it down field and getting picked. Daniel, 319 s takes off way to early and uses his feet as a weapon while not looking to throw. Caleb does the Mahomes act passing from any position behind the line and makes more time to throw. Maye is moved off because he has no choice and can throw on the run and run enough to extent the play. McCarthy drops back less but when moved he can make the throws while moving and he has some wheels too. 

Dude, his career is not 1 game. His pressure to sack ratio is a significant plus, it means he makes good decisions. There is something patently ridiculous at looking at a guy who in his career, has played against:

Penn State three times (170 1&1, 9 of 19 for 94 as an 18 year old, and a turd of a game in year 3 122 0-1)

Oregon (408 2 and 1 and 302 4 and 319 1 and 1)

Michigan State three times ( 397 4 & 0, 320 2&2, 286 3& 0)

Michigan twice (300+ yards, 3 TD's and 0 picks in the other game)

Texas Twice (287 2 and 1 and 430 2 and 0)

Ohio State once (491 yards, 5 TD's against 1 picks in that game)

UCLA Once (345 4 and 2)

Oregon (408 2 and 1 and 302 4 and 319 1 and 1))

There's even more games to look at, I think he played Michigan State 4 times, not that they're that good, but the point is, and I don't mean to be unpleasant here, but recency bias much? There's something patently absurd to me about people who look at Penix in the National Title game, and then turn and walk away, as if his CV is one freaking game. Its beyond ridiculous, especially when you consider that he played Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State a combined what, 6 or 7 or 8 times? Hell he played Michigan TWICE. He crapped the bed once, and killed it once. He played Texas twice, and killed them both times. He played Oregon 3 times and was great in all 3. 

The dude is more than the national title game. I don't want him: age and injury history make him a no no, but his pressure to sack ratio is a selling point. He throws the ball away when under pressure, he rarely gets sacked when under pressure, that's the point of the pressure to sack data. The data on Daniels says he runs when under pressure and when not, and gets sacked a ton on top of that. Not great. It is great that he offers mobility, it is not great that he runs into sacks a lot, and also runs out of bigger gainers down field because of said mobility. How you take the selling the point of Penix's pressure to sack information, and turn it in to a negative because I guess, national championship game, Penix has nearly 50 games as a full time starter to look at. His pressure to sack data is very good news for whomever takes him (not us). 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

Still hoping we go Maye. Still surprised at how much Daniels-bashing there is in this thread, under the guise of defending Maye (from supposed media critics, not even folks posting here) or 'balancing things out'.  Just wow.

It was Maye, and not Daniels, who had a first-team All American RB (Hampton, who I'm hoping we see discussion of Commanders drafting next year, kid is a stud). Maye also had a better weapon at TE, played *vastly* inferior competition, didn't rise to the occasion when he did play better defenses, made way too many head-scratching throws that make you question the whole 'high football iq!' thing, and was just overall inconsistent over 2 up and down years at UNC. I want him on the Commanders for his combination of size, arm, and athleticism  - but he needs work and imo has a low floor because of the inconsistency we've seen over an extended period of time. Maye also had the benefit (vs. Daniels) of the much simpler Air Raid offensive system at UNC (the same sytem that produced his bigger year in 2022) instead of the hybrid pro/spread attack at LSU. Despite all of those issues, I am hypnotized by some of the sick, sick bullets Maye throws, often making it look easy, and keep thinking to myself, holy crap, the guy doing this is only 21! Just really excited to see what he turns into with some quality NFL coaching.

Daniels had a good, not great OL (I think folks are imagining this is the LSU of 7-8 years ago when they were regularly sending OL prospects to the NFL, those days are gone). He had a running back by committee behind him where nobody ever asserted themselves despite some prospect pedigree there. Daniels also had a coaching staff who said more than once publicly they were trying to balance developing Daniels as a passer while using the weapons they had to win (specifically referencing his running ability); and they could have done a better job there, the vast majority of his designed runs were right up the gut, with little chance to get to the sidelines before getting tackled. 

That said, really tired of seeing clips of the same 2-3 "ragdoll" hits on Daniels last year - I've now watched every 2023 snap of the LSU offense and fact is, those 'lowlight' hits were the ONLY bad hits he took all year (and two of those few bad hits were flagged, and one resulted in ejection for targeting), and those were in the first handful of games last year. He improved at avoiding big hits, and was never terrible there to begin with, just accept that people. We also seem to be much more concerned with the potential for injury with him (yes, I also have RG3 PTSD) than NFL teams are, only quotes I've seen from execs dismiss it as a concern.

Stats also show that Daniels was more effective (per QBR, NFL passer rating) at virtually every level of the field (I think the lone exception was maybe 1-5 yard area on the right side?) than Maye (and Williams). Tried hunting down the related charts in this thread but I'm apparently too old to interwbez good enough for that.  So no, his arm isn't the strongest, but it's strong enough. 

Don't understand why folks feel the need to say, "I'd be happy with either Maye or Daniels" and then proceed to list all the reasons they'd be unhappy with Daniels.

I want Maye. I don't want Daniels, primarily because I don't want to gnash my teeth and chew my fingernails to the bone every time Daniels snaps the ball, waiting for one monster hit to end his career. 

But I can also see that Maye has warts beyond the token 'mechanics' throwaway we keep seeing here.

Now I'm going to go rest my throat after writing all those words, my hands are hoarse.

/end rant

I hate 'attaboy posts.

But every once in a while I feel compelled to create one.

I have nothing of substance to add, other than my appreciation for an objective, well written, post of substance, that forced me to pause and think after I read it -- which is a pretty rare occurence these days.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Someone was talking about Penix Pressure to sack ratio on I think a player profiler podcast the other day and they were astounded by it, he's miles, miles, miles, miles better at making the right decision with the ball than Daniels, or really anyone else in the class, period. He throws it away, he does not take a lot of stupid sacks, EVER.. And he played for years in the Big-10 so it's not just a Pac-10 defenses suck argument. It's weird to say this because I want no part of Penix due to injury history and age, but honestly if we'd ended up at slot 7-10 instead of 2, I think I would have much preferred trading down for Penix rather than up for Daniels. Other than health issues, I think Penix has a higher floor than Daniels. Just a better decision maker. 

You're not crazy.  I like Penix over Daniels too.  He's playing with a stacked set of weapons and a Joe Moore line too, but I think his playmaking translates better to the NFL.  I agree that he sees the field better than Daniels and is a better decision maker.  And mainly I think he's got a way better body and arm than Daniels.  He's a power thrower and he has spectacular touch.  Doesn't have to load up at all, can lean back and just smoke it or fade it 30 yards down field with perfect touch.  And he has awesome pocket mobility with really great feel for the rush.  He's instinctive, and he's a star where, as with Maye and Williams, the burden of offensive creation was on him, making advanced NFL style plays from the pocket.  This is not true for Nix/Daniels/McCarthy.

I just rewatched the LSU-Florida State game and was shocked at how slow Daniels's far hash come backs were.  His receivers are just sitting still waiting on him to pull the trigger, and then waiting even longer for the ball to finally show up.  Jayden just doesn't have any playing strength, not in his core, not in his arm, and not in his legs.  If you don't have any power, then you have to be elite with your instincts and ****ing fly through your reads and anticipate, which he doesn't do either.  That's why the kid didn't make any plays outside of the run game until he was a fifth year senior playing in a pristine pocket and getting a ton of wide open looks every game.

There is no chance I would pick Penix over Maye, but if we weren't in position to draft Maye, I agree with you that I would prefer trading back and getting Penix to drafting Daniels in the top five, much less trading up for Daniels.  I like him way better than JJ McCarthy too, FWIW.  But I honestly have no idea where he's going to be drafted, because that right knee is probably cooked.  He could go in the first round, or he could go in the fourth.  But a healthy Penix Jr feels like a peer to Maye and Williams, and it wouldn't surprise me if he stays healthy at the next level and ends up being the best QB from the class.  Probably going to be the best QB from the group right out of the gate, if they all get drafted into decent situations.  He sees the game and reads it so much faster than the other guys do right now, and his bag of tools and tricks is ready to go year one.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I hate 'attaboy posts.

But every once in a while I feel compelled to create one.

I have nothing of substance to add, other than my appreciation for an objective, well written, post of substance, that forced me to pause and think after I read it -- which is a pretty rare occurence these days.

Yup, that post gets a 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆 on the Penix scale.  Very rare indeed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Thing is Hurts is a dangerous thrower on the move. That's not Daniels. Once he is moving he is running or getting sacked. Kind of like Lamar when he came out. Lamar has gotten much more dangerous throwing on the move. Daniels just rarely ever does it. 

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't want him: age and injury history

If we were picking like middle of the first Penix would be my pick. You are gonna have to build a really solid OL for him. Because he is a statue and favors his front leg, which has been busted up. But the guys arm is amazing. And watching him throw a ball astounds me.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 4

Other than the fumble towards the end of the game, it was a nearly flawless game by Jayden.

He finished like 16/21 275 3tds, 0 ints, 130+ yards rushing with another Td on the ground. Nabers and Thomas jr had 3 drops between them, the fade should’ve been caught even though the pass was a little short, so I’ll call it a drop. A poorly run route on another fade that gave Daniels no room to through it, and another receiver fell down on what would’ve been another Td.

Daniels made the right decision on every pass he threw, it was truly amazing, not one bad decision on a throw all game throwing the ball. There was a couple of times he should’ve handed the ball off on RO plays where he kept and ran himself, would’ve saved him a couple of hits, but pretty much made the right decision every snap he took this game.

He was very accurate, went through his reads quickly and precisely, and the only inaccurate throw was a long fade route right after he came back into the game after bruising his ribs on what should’ve been called a late hit. I believe the throw still should’ve been caught. Still it was the right read, the ball just should’ve been thrown a yard farther. He had one great throw on an out route where he really zipped it, it surprised me, I didn’t think he had that kind of arm strength.

He made some amazing throws on the run, I thought the narrative was that he wasn’t good at that but this game has shown me otherwise. He definitely has the ability to throw on the run, and after watching this I believe he would excel running bootleg pass plays. He runs as a last resort on most plays, usually goes through his progressions before taking off, definitely not a 1 read and run guy. His acceleration is so fast he gets the edge easily and leaves you wondering how he just did it, reminds me of Lamar with this. 

A lot of LSUs pass concepts are designed with an open area of the field for Jayden to run to as his own check down, it was brilliant in college, it won’t really work in NFL, but I’m not as worried about that anymore after watching him throw so well on the move in this game.

His legs are a lethal weapon, some say he is more like RG3, but I don’t see it. He might not be as shifty as Lamar but what he does have in common with him is how quickly he can accelerate. He hits full speed in like 2 steps, it’s wild. And while he does take some big shots, he also has the ability to run through arm tackles. His upper legs and butt aren’t as slendor as the rest of his body, it’s not easy to get this guy down if you aren’t squared up on him. They also ran the Tush push successfully, got a yard into the endzone but for some reason was marked short.

What I loved the most is how the RO was used to get easy yards for the RB. Teams were so worried about containing Jayden that it gave the o line a 4 blockers against 3 defenders advantage right up the middle. While Mizzus d line looked better than LSUs Oline on most plays, it was not like that on the RO plays. It was really reminding me of how Alfred Morris would just run right up the middle and get 3-7 yards anytime we wanted. Teams will have to stack the box to stop it, and Jayden will throw it over the top when they do, he is to accurate of a passer to all parts of the field for teams to just stack the box to beat him. Brian Robinson will benefit to an extreme level if Jayden is the selection.

With Jayden, it would be like having the 2012 offense on steroids, I’m talking big papa pump Scott Steiner level steroids. He accelerates just as quickly as Lamar, has the top end speed to house call it from anywhere on the field, and he is deadly accurate on his deep ball, and gets through his progressions fast. With the added benefit of him being a great pocket passer, so the offense could spread it out and sling it as well. Heck, now I’m more convinced than ever, they could tie in bootleg elements into it as well, running plays that we used to use when Kirk Cousins was are QB. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

With whatever Maye they chose, I assume they're going to be a run first team to protect the rookie, because that's what smart coaches do. Not put the entire offense on their shoulders.

They've said they love BRob and they brought in Ekler who is great at attacking the edges, so they're taking that part very seriously. 

Run the ball, attack the edges and hit the deep middle of the field passing.

I don’t know what they will be, but I imagine they’re just going to be smart about it.  

I think if it’s Maye, you’ll see a lot of run game and play action.  But I also think you’ll see a lot of timing route stuff he’s already familiar with, because he runs it at UNC.  Particularly medium to deep outs on early downs for 11-20 yards. 

If it’s Daniels, I think you’ll see them use him more in the run game to supplement the RBs, and you’ll see more screens and short routes and then deep fades.  Because that’s what he does well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF guy 

We know that Peters doesn't want to make the same mistake he did with this high of pick as was made with Lance.  One has to believe he will cross every T and dot every I to ensure this one is the one!  

• Like 1

Daniels vs. Missouri

1) First throw of the game. 3rd and 5. Daniels misses the same hash 7 yard out by 2 yards.
2) Throw 2. 1st and 10. 8 minutes left 1st quarter. Daniels misses same hash 10 yard out by 2 yards. Holding on the play
3) Next play he rips off a beautiful 19 yard run. First quarter half over and he doesnt have a completion yet. 
4) 2nd and 1. He runs for no gain while falling down awkwardly. 
5) 1st and goal from the 1. Tush push no score.
6) 2nd and goal from the 1. Tush push no score. RB runs it in on 3rd down. Still no completion in the game. 
7) 1st and 10 from his own 20. 53 seconds left in the 1st quarter. Daniels single reads. Try's to run and gets sacked. 3 yard loss.
😎 2nd and 13. hands off for 7 yard gain. End of the quarter. Daniels does not have a single completion in it. 
9) 3rd and 6 false start. 3rd and 11. He gets his first completion for 10 yards to a TE after nice pocket movement. Punt.
10) 1st and ten. LSU is down 22-7 at this point. Cpmpletion for 9 yards. Nice throw in the middle of the field on a slow roll right.  
11) 2nd and 1. He keeps it on the option and gets destroyed for a 1 yard loss.
12) 3rd and 1 handoff for the first. 9 minutes left in the half and Daniels has TWO completions in the game. 
13) 2nd and 7. Beautiful little shuffle to the left and throws a dart in the middle of the field for 12. Best pass of the game.
14) Next play 1st and 10. runs right for 6 yards and gets obliterated by Rakestraw.Crushed. Next play is a RB run for 15 yards.
15) 3rd and 6. Daniels runs left for 4 yards. 4th and 2. Holding on a run. FG. Daniels has FOUR completions with 5 minutes left in the half.
16) LSU gets a Pick. 1st and 10 from Mizzou 45. handoff for 8. 
17) 2nd and 2 Daniels runs left and gets completely destroyed by 3 guys. Holding and it comes back. 
18) 2nd and 12. Handoff for 30 yards.

I am not even going to watch anymore of this game. Daniels has FOUR completions with under 4 minutes left in the half. He has been completely destroyed while running numerous times. His rb's are carrying them. And they are down 22-10 at this point. I have seen nothing special AT ALL here. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1