Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nothing EB says is reliable.

And if in some bizarre universe Peters did say that to Daniels before the 2023 season, and Daniels still holds a grudge, that’s on Daniels.  If a scout had talked to Burrow before his senior season, they would have said something similar. Maybe not 5th round but he was slotted 3-4 or somewhere in there, and then was the consensus #1 overall pick. 

Things change.  If you ask for an opinion from a scout and he gives it, you can’t hold that opinion against the guy. 

That said, 98.7937% chance it never happened.  EB got drawn in during lying season and it’s nothing.  

Well, to be fair, lots of pundits had Daniels as a day 3 prospect until this year. His claim to pre-draft fame is that he parlayed his amazing 2023 season into the biggest jump in draft stock amongst the eligible QBs. 

Edited by Bantu

If anything Daniels would be thankful for Peters honesty. But the story is probably junk.

14 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

People say he had no receivers this year but Tez Walker is about to be drafted in the 4th round at the latest.

…lolol

1 minute ago, mac8887 said:

I get that people on this board really like Maye, but to say that he didn’t have talent around him, is not true, especially compared to the teams they were playing against. 

People say he had no receivers this year but Tez Walker is about to be drafted in the 4th round at the latest.

On top of that, the qb is supposed to elevate the talent around him, and it was vice versa with Maye, the lesser talent made him lesser

Elevating his surrounding talent is all Drake Maye did.  Tez Walker is a scrub.  He can run really fast, but he plays like a wimp and can't catch or hold on to the ball.  He was directly responsible for the GT loss and his ****ty effort is what sealed the NC State game.  Thinking he's comparable to all of the studs that the other QBs in this class played with is absurd.  It's not just the surrounding talent deficiency on the field either.  UNCs coaching was incompetent, and Mack Brown had an awful season and is at the end of the line in his coaching career.  Maye did more with less than anyone else in this class, more than any other first round QB in years.  UNC couldn't even outclass Duke for talent or coaching.  Drake carried that program by himself the past two years.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Elevating his surrounding talent is all Drake Maye did.  Tez Walker is a scrub.  He can run really fast, but he plays like a wimp and can't catch or hold on to the ball.  He was directly responsible for the GT loss and his ****ty effort is what sealed the NC State game.  Thinking he's comparable to all of the studs that the other QBs in this class played with is absurd.  It's not just the surrounding talent deficiency on the field either.  UNCs coaching was incompetent, and Mack Brown had an awful season and is at the end of the line in his coaching career.  Maye did more with less than anyone else in this class, more than any other first round QB in years.  UNC couldn't even outclass Duke for talent or coaching.  Drake carried that program by himself the past two years.

One big thing to me is look at the bowl games.

Williams and Daniels replacements lit it up for USC and LSU.

Mayes replacement sucked and UNC got smashed.

Maye literally carried that team. 

• Like 4

I have no reason to doubt Hoffman's statements on Keim's podcast.  And it doesn't surprise me either.

I'll maintain an open mind but I think on the balance probably moving to 60-40 or 65-35 Maye over Daniels from waffling back and forth between them for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It appears that after Walker the next highest rated offensive player for N.C. was a center who comes in at #555   (those entering the draft)

Edited by Chris 44
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Am trying to recall who said it but there was one reputable reporter who said he heard from a scout that Maye single handidly saved that coaching staff from being fired.

Will see if it holds.  but it feels like the opposite of what McShay said at the start of the combine considering so many have said the opposite.  That is the mock draft community seems higher on Daniels while NFL teams are higher on Maye.  But will see.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I have no reason to doubt Hoffman's statements on Keim's podcast.  And it doesn't surprise me either.

I'll maintain an open mind but I think on the balance probably moving to 60-40 or 65-35 Maye over Daniels from waffling back and forth between them for a couple weeks.

I don't doubt what he said. I am sure a lot of podcasters/PFF guys, etc just got the All 22 and had opinions on it. However Mark Bullock has had the All 22 for weeks as has Zierlin...so I find it hard to believe they had it before the actual league evaluators did? But I do believe that most of the people that Hoffman talked to just got it (besides Jordan Reid, Zierlin and Matt Miller who actually work at NFL/ESPN)

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am trying to recall who said it but there was one reputable reporter who said he heard from a scout that Maye single handidly saved that coaching staff from being fired.

Will see if it holds.  but it feels like the opposite of what McShay said considering so many have said the opposite.  That is the mock draft community seems higher on Daniels while NFL teams are higher on Maye.  But will see.

LOL. I was wondering how long it would take before that account showed up on this thread. I'll let someone else tell yall why this account is terrible. 

1 hour ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

For those that aren’t local, EB from the Junkies mentioned an interesting rumor he heard over the weekend.

The just of it was that Jayden doesn’t like Adam Peters.  Supposedly Aiyuk put Jayden in touch with Peters last year to gauge whether or not he should enter the draft and Peters told him that he wouldn’t draft him before the 5th round and that his skills would have a hard time translating to the NFL.

Not sure how reliable his source was, but he prefaced it with saying he doesn’t have a reason to lie about it.  I don’t take much from it other than the point about JD hating AP.  But I think a late round grade is what most evaluators had on him after the 2022 season.  

Who knows but I do know Daniels is super close with Aiyuk, he mentioned that in one of his interviews

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

LOL. I was wondering how long it would take before that account showed up on this thread. I'll let someone else tell yall why this account is terrible. 

It quotes an Athletic article that I posted some here over the weekend.  So you got me about about the person who reposted it who you reference. But it doesn't matter because the information is 100% real.  Heck the Junkies talked about it this morning.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

FWIW Ryan Leaf on Sirius with Solomon Wilcotts just eviscerated Drake Maye:

1. Wouldn't draft Maye high in the first round, but somebody will.

2. Likes Jayden Daniels considerably more.

3. Highest bust potential of first round qbs.

4. "Did not see improvement level from Drake Maye (this year)."

5. "If anything he was stagnant to regression. His production level fell tremendously."

6. "If you're going to say it's because of the talent around him the guys at the collegiate level who are alpha NFL starting quarterbacks they take teams and put them on their backs and change things and the production goes up, it just does."

7. "That's a big red flag for me going into this I know people."

8. "I know people love his measurable, 6' 4" 230 (lbs) and can run."

9. "I see Drake Maye as that second tier behind Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels."

10. He puts JJ McCarthy and Michael Penix in the same tier with Maye.

11. Said Penix helped himself more than any other player this weekend. Said his medicals were better than anyone expected. Could be tge big post-combinete riser.

**Everything in quotation marks is close to an exact quote. The rest is paraphrased.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure anyone putting Rattler first QB and Williams 5th is just clickbaiting the heck outta us.  Basically literally everyone who is currently working needs to be wrong.  So unless that dude is some Mike Shanahan burner account...pass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows but I do know Daniels is super close with Aiyuk, he mentioned that in one of his interviews

They're best friends. Him, Rachaad White from the Bucs and CJ Stroud are his close friends. 

However since Daniels played for an actual former NFL coach with a ton of connections (Herm Edwards) amd talks to him once a week and is very close to Antonio Pierce who was actually on an NFL coaching staff - I would assume he would ask them before being like "Ayy Brandon, can you ask your GM to break down my All 22 and see if I should qenter the draft"...

We are getting into silly season. Not only would that be something done more formally than asking Brandon Aiyuk but LSU is a massive school with tons of connections to evaluators and the NFL who could formally look into that stuff

15 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Well, well Mr. Keim hits often. All the draft rumors are taking a QB at 2...mostly Williams if he falls, otherwise Maye with an outside shot at Daniels. 

He talked about it on the Junkies this morning.

He would heavily bet they take a QB at 2.    He thinks they haven't decided.  He suspects its a tough call between the two but he didn't say whether that's his gut or that's what he heard.  On Finlay's show a few days ago they pushed him to pick one and he said Maye but he won't swear by it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

1. Wouldn't draft Maye high in the first round, but somebody will.

2. Likes Jayden Daniels considerably more.

3. Highest bust potential of first round qbs.

4. "Did not see improvement level from Drake Maye (this year)."

5. "If anything he was stagnant to regression. His production level fell tremendously."

6. "If you're going to say it's because of the talent around him the guys at the collegiate level who are alpha NFL starting quarterbacks they take teams and put them on their backs and change things and the production goes up, it just does."

7. "That's a big red flag for me going into this I know people."

8. "I know people love his measurable, 6' 4" 230 (lbs) and can run."

9. "I see Drake Maye as that second tier behind Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels."

10. He puts JJ McCarthy and Michael Penix in the same tier with Maye.

11. Said Penix helped himself more than any other player this weekend. Saui his medical were better than anyone expected. Could be a last minute riser.

**Everything in quotation marks is close to an exact quote. The rest is paraphrased.

Lol Ryan Leaf.. that's rich. Why would anyone in the entire world take one of the biggest busts in NFL histories opinion? He might be on drugs again.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

They're best friends. Him, Rachaad White from the Bucs and CJ Stroud are his close friends. 

However since Daniels played for an actual former NFL coach with a ton of connections (Herm Edwards) amd talks to him once a week and is very close to Antonio Pierce who was actually on an NFL coaching staff - I would assume he would ask them before being like "Ayy Brandon, can you ask your GM to break down my All 22 and see if I should qenter the draft"...

We are getting into silly season. Not only would that be something done more formally than asking Brandon Aiyuk but LSU is a massive school with tons of connections to evaluators and the NFL who could formally look into that stuff

I noticed the Junkies just referred back to it.  But for me, I don't really care one way or another because even if it were true, so what?  Daniels won't dictate where he goes to.  And also if Peters wasn't high on him then, it could have changed since.  Isn't that part of the how Daniels story as to his game evolving.

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Was he yelling, posturing and freaking out when he made these points?

• Haha 2

Truth be told for some reason as I was listening to Sirius I confused Ryan Leaf in my mind with Phillip Rivers!!??

Wait until you're my age,  **** happens and all you can do is laugh at it and try to retain a modicum of dignity. lol

18 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Lol Ryan Leaf.. that's rich. Why would anyone in the entire world take one of the biggest busts in NFL histories opinion? He might be on drugs again.

On the other hand here's another thought:

If we all accept the adage "that game recognizes game", wouldn't the corollary be-- "lack of game recognizes lack of game".

lol

EDIT:

I think I've embarrassed  myself enough for one day.  Gonna take two Prevagen and try to clear up the fog between my ears.

ta ta!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So because you don't like what is being said about Daniels then it must all be lies?  Adam is a personnel guy,he would know where a prospect was projected to be picked..not Edward's or Pierce.

58 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Well, to be fair, lots of pundits had Daniels as a day 3 prospect until this year. His claim to pre-draft fame is that he parlayed his amazing 2023 season into the biggest jump in draft stock amongst the eligible QBs. 

Yeah.  And Burrow was a day two prospect before his last year.  And Howell was a day 1 prospect before his last year.  Then their last years happened and here we are.

This is why is so hard to project a year out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, bh32 said:

So because you don't like what is being said about Daniels then it must all be lies?  Adam is a personnel guy,he would know where a prospect was projected to be picked..not Edward's or Pierce.

No, I know how to use discernment. First, when has EB ever had info? Second, if a QB at one of the biggest schools in the country with one of the most expansive and well connected football programs is considering entering the draft there are tons of better/more formal ways to get info than asking your friend to ask someone. On top of that, the notion that he was holding a grudge for it after he asked (yet decided to stay in school and work hard to improve)?

You can believe what you want though

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

I certainly won't judge Leaf's evaluation skills based on his playing.  Plenty of people who can't do, CAN evaluate or coach.

But on the whole this is the thing media vs coaches.  If the reports of 80/20 Maye over Daniels (or even more lopsided) from actual NFL people are true, then clearly the media is missing something NFL evaluators are seeing, both on Maye ans Daniels.

And since we're post combine I tend to actually believe some of the reports about team opinions.  At least with a grain of salt.

As for the Daniels grudge against Peters thing, meh.  Maybe true maybe not.  Peters will likely know if it's true tho.

If it were true it'd rub me the wrong way because it's an honest eval and if you're a player you need those and he should have used it as motivation and be thankful, because it's gonna make him like 25-30 million dollars.  But I don't know if its true and won't hold it against him.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

No, I know how to use discernment. First, when has EB ever had info? Second, if a QB at one of the biggest schools in the country with one of the most expansive and well connected football programs is considering entering the draft there are tons of better/more formal ways to get info than asking your friend to ask someone. On top of that, the notion that he was holding a grudge for it after he asked (yet decided to stay in school and work hard to improve)?

I never said that I believed the story,but it doesn't mean that it couldn't of happened..I was just pointing out how defensive you get over any story that comes out criticizing Daniels..

• Thumb up 3

24 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He has been right on some things in the past.  I remember he was the first to know just how bad Alex Smith’s leg was before stuff started leaking to the national media.  

But I am still taking this new info with a grain of salt.  The source was some guy his son knows who texted him and told him to share with his dad.  🤷🏼‍♂️