Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I guessed JD had big hands

Thats not what some of the draft sites are saying. 9 to 9 1/8 is what they are saying. But again. I dont think had size means a damn thing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Figured Caleb had good size mitts given his comfort level to default to Shady McCoy style when running.

9 3/4 aint nothing to sneeze at.

Maye just barely avoids the warning sirens w/ 9 1/4.

I guessed JD had big hands but we wont know until his Pro Day which sucks.

I always find it cringy talking about guys hand size.  Feels a bit personal.  

You know what they say about guys with big hands.

They wear big gloves.  

And have satisfied significant others. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I always find it cringy talking about guys hand size.  Feels a bit personal.  

You know what they say about guys with big hands.

They wear big gloves.  

And have satisfied significant others. 

Listen,

They can get out there and run 40s and throw the damn football, OR we can obsess over what they give us.

Now is Maye's 9 1/4, 9 1/4 and a half or 9 1/4 and three-quarters?

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Now is Maye's 9 1/4, 9 1/4 and a half or 9 1/4 and three-quarters?

Only his girlfriend should care 

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats not what some of the draft sites are saying. 9 to 9 1/8 is what they are saying. But again. I dont think had size means a damn thing. 

I thought Burrow announcing his retirement after his combine hand measurement was hysterical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I don't think there is any reliable data on that front until you are measured at the combine or Pro Day.

And I only see a couple possible solutions for why a dude who runs around as much as him and takes as many hits as he does has a fumble rate like his. 

His lack of fumbles should not exist, but it is consistent across his college career. I'd say he has big mitts or stupid strong fingers.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Here's Penix's workout

He was dialed in, that's him......one miss there.  He is a complete processor of defense, good grief if it weren't for the injury/age, IMO this would not be a question......even for Chicago.

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, redskinss said:

I think we should put together a massive package of picks to move up to one, take a linebacker Then couple our 2's this year with a 2 next year to move back into the top ten for Williams after he falls only to trade that pick back to Chicago for all our other picks back plus their 9 and take a left tackle.

That'll work right? 

Sounds pretty reasonable. 

And throw in David Putney, just because we feel like it. 

But…JJ played in a pro style offense, he’s mechanically and mentally more ready for the NFL than any other prospect, and his arm is good??

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39623027/2024-nfl-combine-top-draft-prospects-workouts-risers-40-every-position

How did other top prospects look on Day 3?

130.png&h=110&w=110

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan: Measuring 6-2½ and 219 pounds was a positive start to the day for McCarthy, who came in much heavier than his listed 202 pounds. But he participated in only the throwing portion of the workout, and McCarthy was inconsistent in spots -- most notably on outbreaking routes. He couldn't seem to connect with targets there, but we have to remember that he was throwing to unfamiliar targets. McCarthy was far more consistent on throws over the middle of the field, routinely setting his feet underneath his body and operating from an efficient base. He is still a raw passer, and that was seen throughout the throwing session. McCarthy will need to clean up his lower-body mechanics to improve his accuracy toward the sideline and on deep passes. But I still don't see him lasting past the Raiders at No. 13 overall. -- Reid

I still think the Giants are going to move up to 4 and take McCarthy, notwithstanding holes all over their roster.

I think Vegas and Falcons will fight it out for trade up to 3 (Daniels), IF New England decides to pass on him.

Edited by Dah-Dee

Not that I have ever studied the guy but since he scaled in so much higher than expected it is very possible slapping on like 15 whoppers right before the combine jacked up JJ's mechanics and accuracy. He aint used to slingin' around that extra torque.

Usual struggles would be magnified in such an environment.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Daniels being the only QB not to get measured isn’t a great look for him. 

Totally agree. The whole QB participation element of the combine was a sham really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Daniels being the only QB not to get measured isn’t a great look for him. 

This one made little sense either.  Its not like you can ONLY do the combine or your proday.  most do both.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Count me in the group of thinking Daniels opting out of weights and measures is kind of trifling but in the end not that big of a deal. If I'm the commanders and my scouts get a chance to measure and weigh him and watch him throw at his pro day, he's still firmly in the mix. He's too good of a football player to toss him off my list for that, and I guess that's his and his agent's calculus.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie

2 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Count me in the group of thinking Daniels opting out of weights and measures is kind of trifling but in the end not that big of a deal. If I'm the commanders and my scouts get a chance to measure and weigh him and watch him throw at his pro day, he's still firmly in the mix. He's too good of a football player to toss him off my list for that, and I guess that's his and his agent's calculus.

Its a non issue to me. But he better light it up at his pro day. And measurables gotta be clean and legit.

6 hours ago, Conn said:

But…JJ played in a pro style offense, he’s mechanically and mentally more ready for the NFL than any other prospect, and his arm is good??

This is what I've been saying about JJ, he tends to take a huge stride to throw, which is fine in the pristine pockets he had as a Wolverine, but will be more challenging in the NFL. I havent seen him display much touch or "sense of space" as some have been calling it this draft cycle. I also don't see the same signs of personal maturity that I do from the top three.

I've probably been too tough on him though. He is very young. He has projection. He has decent athleticism and seems to process quickly. This issue with overstriding can be corrected but it might cost him a couple mph on his fastball. I just see him as a longer term play. I'd be interested in the second round but I also get that QBs usually get a bump, maybe a significant one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Not a big deal, but enough to bump him behind Maye for some of us who were 50/50 between the two. Daniels is probably thinking he should have just blown off the entire event. Might still have been a bad look but the focus wouldn’t be so much on the weigh in. Everything they do there can be done at his pro day anyway. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the top prospects skip it completely going forward.

I like JJ and think he will become a solid NFL QB...very low bust potential. However, I don't see him as being a day one starter. I initially thought he could be but he has some work to do. If Peters and company likes him best, I'd be good with a short trade down. I don't like him top 5 though and if that's your game plan, you must be able to draft him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think he has a better arm than Daniels for whatever thats worth. He was innacurate today. But at least he participated. The same cant be said for all.

IMG_7921.gif.50f5147d04b94a783b48fcb3dfcc6530.gif

In what universe is McCarthy’s arm better than Jayden Daniel’s? Y’all are just making up anything in here now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Black Market Bully said:

IMG_7921.gif.50f5147d04b94a783b48fcb3dfcc6530.gif

In what universe is McCarthy’s arm better than Jayden Daniel’s? Y’all are just making up anything in here now. 

Jayden’s only real knock is his lack of arm strength compared to the others that are going to go in the first round, other than maybe Nix.

Jayden is very accurate, but he doesn’t have the fast ball the others do. Now he might be able to zip I in if he came out of his mechanics, but there’s no need, he has a strong enough arm to make every throw.

On top of that Jayden has one of the quickest, cleanest releases I’ve seen. What he loses in ball speed he makes up with his very quick release. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1