Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Associating Williams with DC when given a single word, and you’re the Washington team HC, is extremely awkward lol 

It doesn’t mean anything, just funny 

It is a bit awkward isn’t it.

Not sure I’d say it doesn’t mean anything though. I mean, it’s meaningless if the Bears 100% want him. However, there is this massive push from ownership down to revive the local association with the franchise.

To directly reference the premier QB available as DC……who knows….

31 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

If you do not take the QB at 2, most likely you will have 2'1's plus for the next couple years to get it right. If your picks hit at other positions plus having future picks to right the ship you are going to have a longer leash. The worst is to trade up and miss then you have no future to right the ship. If they get it right everybody wins, If not we all lose. I am on board for whatever happens.   

Yeah but if its a crap QB draft next year as most projects - they'd look like big time fools to punt from a perceived strong QB draft to a weak QB draft.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that they can do anything in the draft is what's put out there by almost every team, every year.  I among others telegraphed this in advance -- its just boiler plate draft rhetoric that most smart teams engage in.

We'd have a fairly lazy group running this team IMO if they've landed on this already.  the process has just started.  Keim has talked to about this to death, this FO will study these guys relentlessly -- they are very thorough.   Interviews. Pro Days.  Team visits.

Meh, anything could happen between now and April but I'd feel pretty safe putting money on what I said as long as they don't bomb drills/interviews. 

1 minute ago, “Misdirection” said:

We had like 15 pages in here over the last 24 hours lol did i miss something important by skipping ahead or was it the usual back and forth 😅

Yes. All posts about QBs must be in haiku format now.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Meh, anything could happen between now and April but I'd feel pretty safe putting money on what I said as long as they don't bomb drills/interviews. 

I think people are seeing-hearing what they want to hear based on preconceptions.    

I think am fairly objective on this because i am one of the few people who are OK with all of this.  Many here are either passionately against one of these things happening or two of those things or have a by mile preference for one over the other.  I don't.

A. Trading up for Caleb

B. Taking Maye

C. Taking Daniels

My only button is when people talk about trading down.  i lose my cool on that one  😎  

I'd be stoked about any of those scenarios.  I am not negative on any of those outcomes.  

Reading the tea leaves if I had to land on just two hardcore belief as to what happens.  Too much evidence-rumors to make me think otherwise

1.  They aren't trading up for Caleb

2.  They aren't trading down (I feel stronger about item 1 than I am 2)

As for Daniels or Maye. I got no feel for what they are going to do.  But its going to be one or the other IMO.  I'll start having a feel when Keim has a feel for it. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just now, spjunkies said:

Yeah, in my opinion it is. Feel free to point and laugh if I get it wrong I'll deserve it lol.

Even for someone with a gut feeling for what might happen, using the word “obvious” when Peters is just now meeting these QB prospects for the first time this week is a flawed way to look at it imo

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah but if its a crap QB draft next year as most projects - they'd look like big time fools to punt from a perceived strong QB draft to a weak QB draft.

This is a strong class historically for sure. But there's also misses in every class, and diamonds in every class. And while next year might look weak, I have a hard time believing that Ewers and Beck and Sanders aren't all being talked about as Top 5/10 guys when things shake out this time next year. And there's always the chance of a Jayden Daniels / Joe Burow type of emergence as well. I get the angst in passsing on a blue-chip QB to kick it to another year with the perception that the class is weak. But drafting a QB at #2 because the perception is they're blue chip and can't miss isn't necessarily the only option. 

Trubisky went #2 and Mahomes (#10) and Watson (#12)

Mayfield (#1) and Darnold (#3) were drafted ahead of Allen (#7) and Lamar (#32) - Rosen sandwiched in there at #10 for good measure

Their classes were considered a pretty strong , but the e "hits" were the 2nd or 3rd ranked guys (or 5th), not necessarily the top tier guy on everyone's board. Still can't believe the Trubisky situation. How did we not all see that coming hah.

So it's far from an exact science and I think the analytics approach of "the more chances the better" is a viable strategy, especially if the person picking the players has a history of being on times built around successful late-round QBs. Just a thought. The entire exercise is an absolute crapshoot. We likely won't be picking in the Top 3 for a long while, but that also doesn't mean we have no chance at a franchise QB. If we have the right front office in place, they'll hit QB when the time is right, whether it's at #2, #12, #28, or somewhere in the 2nd to 7th rounds. It's all about the number of bites on the apple, and if we got 1/2/3/1/1 from Atlanta to move to #8, that's a lot of bites. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

With the extra cap space we got, I think I've shifted from "keep Howell bc it's economical" to "it's more 'okay' to move Howell and we can afford to bring Brissett back."

Jacoby is probably also the sweet spot in terms of riding that starter/backup line for letting a QB sit for half a season.

Regardless of if it's Daniels or Maye, or even JJ, I'd like to have the option to sit them for a bit if needed.  If they look ready, fine, but having that option would be huge.  Still like Howell and still would love to kick the tires for the first 6 weeks, but resigning Brissett shouldn't hamstring our FA getting ability at this point so moving Howell is much more fine so long as we get Brissett back.

• Like 1

Just now, Conn said:

Even for someone with a gut feeling for what might happen, using the word “obvious” when Peters is just now meeting these QB prospects for the first time this week is a flawed way to look at it imo

Not to pimp Keim some more 😎 but he's very willing to tell if the team has leanings towards players in the draft over the years.   He's right now fairly firm that they are going to do an exhaustive review because that's how they handle everything.  And Myers actually being in the combine is interesting.

As for what they are going to do.  Bread crumbs can lead either way.  Heck Spielman the dude who actually helped hired our GM said on the record he prefers Maye.  Longo whose system is close to Kliff's and is close to him period worships Maye.  Then you got if people want to read into it Quinn's comments.   Or an emphasis on mobility, etc.  But then you can counter the emphasis on mobility to say Quinn's first comment about Maye is that he's athletic.  We can drive each other nuts with tea leaves stuff.

But if Keim starts talking about a leaning, I'll buy it.  but it hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree the interviews will be big.  Sheehan (big Daniels guy) opined that it might favor Maye.   Daniels is known to be shy.  Maye more gregarious.   But listening to Quinn just now it will be deeper than that, they will test the players some in the interview. 

Could be.  He hesitated for Daniels.  For Caleb and Maye he spit it right out.   Felt to me he was searching for something different to say than athleticism since he just said a second before that Maye was athletic.   

but he also said its Peters call, not his.  Defining Caleb as DC -- not sure what to make of that. 

Edit:  Lurch just said same thought that I had which is he didn't want to say the same thing he just did for Maye as to speaking about athleticism.  But again, who knows.  Agree as a word (two words) game changer is certainly stronger

Have JD wear the flak jacket and any other padding. Kind of like the protection that Eric Dickerson wore but not as much for show but for protection would help.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Predicting all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks for 2024 season

• walder_seth.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Seth Walder, ESPN AnalyticsFeb 27, 2024, 06:55 AM ET

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons

Predicted 2024 starter: Kirk Cousins

Atlanta makes sense for Cousins, assuming he's fully recovered from the torn Achilles he suffered in Week 8. He'd be going from one former Sean McVay assistant (Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell) to another (Falcons offensive coordinator Zac Robinson). And the Falcons are closer to contending than most think. The roster is fairly strong and was held back by the play of quarterbacks Desmond Ridder and Taylor Heinicke. With a new coaching staff and a proven veteran quarterback in Cousins, the Falcons wouldn't only be NFC South favorites -- they could win a playoff game or two.

Chicago Bears

Predicted 2024 starter: Caleb Williams

We don't know what the Bears could potentially receive for the No. 1 overall pick, but I have a hard time imagining them trading out of that spot for a second straight year. To trade the pick would mean hitching their wagon to Fields, who hasn't had an above-average season yet in his career. So much of roster building is getting a team in the position the Bears are currently in, where they can draft a high-end QB prospect without trading up -- which is what I expect them to do with USC's Williams.

Denver Broncos

Predicted 2024 starter: J.J. McCarthy

Even with Russell Wilson having $39 million guaranteed to him in 2024, it makes sense for Denver to cut him because if they don't, they'll fully guarantee his $37 million salary in 2025. With the No. 12 pick, Denver sits in the middle of a stretch of teams -- between the Vikings (No. 11) and Raiders (No. 13) -- that also might be in the market for a rookie QB. I have Denver choosing McCarthy (Michigan), though it's a bit early to accurately decipher who could go where in the middle of the first round.

New England Patriots

Predicted 2024 starter: Jayden Daniels

Maybe the Patriots will trade down or become tantalized by Ohio State wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. and take him with the No. 3 pick. But this is a team that needs a quarterback after suffering with Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe last season and is in range to get a high-end rookie without trading up. That's usually too good a position for teams to pass up, and LSU's Daniels fits here.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

Washington Commanders

Predicted 2024 starter: Drake Maye

The Commanders lost their final eight games to move into the No. 2 slot in a quarterback-heavy draft, absolving them of the decision of whether to give Sam Howell another shot. Now they'll get a top quarterback prospect -- perhaps UNC's Maye -- without having to trade up and can keep Howell as a solid backup. Washington's stock is on the rise.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39586301/predicting-32-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-2024-season-opener

Only thing I think is a ? mark is Kirk, I think he will stay because of the bond with the  Head coach and the increase in salary cap. But kirk is all about money and will take the highest bidder. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not to pimp Keim some more 😎 but he's very willing to tell if the team has leanings towards players in the draft over the years.   He's right now fairly firm that they are going to do an exhaustive review because that's how they handle everything.  And Myers actually being in the combine is interesting.

As for what they are going to do.  Bread crumbs can lead either way.  Heck Spielman the dude who actually helped hired our GM said on the record he prefers Maye.  Longo whose system is close to Kliff's and is close to him period worships Maye.  Then you got if people want to read into it Quinn's comments.   Or an emphasis on mobility, etc.  But then you can counter the emphasis on mobility to say Quinn's first comment about Maye is that he's athletic.  We can drive each other nuts with tea leaves stuff.

But if Keim starts talking about a leaning, I'll buy it.  but it hasn't happened yet. 

Isn't Myers more of a guy that has a good take on a player when he interviews them on their mindset more than anything.  

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is a strong class historically for sure. But there's also misses in every class, and diamonds in every class. And while next year might look weak, I have a hard time believing that Ewers and Beck and Sanders aren't all being talked about as Top 5/10 guys when things shake out this time next year. And there's always the chance of a Jayden Daniels / Joe Burow type of emergence as well. I get the angst in passsing on a blue-chip QB to kick it to another year with the perception that the class is weak. But drafting a QB at #2 because the perception is they're blue chip and can't miss isn't necessarily the only option. 

Mayfield (#1) and Darnold (#3) were drafted ahead of Allen (#7) and Lamar (#32) - Rosen sandwiched in there at #10 for good measure

Their classes were considered a pretty strong , but the e "hits" were the 2nd or 3rd ranked guys (or 5th), not necessarily the top tier guy on everyone's board. Still can't believe the Trubisky situation. How did we not all see that coming hah.

So it's far from an exact science and I think the analytics approach of "the more chances the better" is a viable strategy, especially if the person picking the players has a history of being on times built around successful late-round QBs. Just a thought. The entire exercise is an absolute crapshoot. We likely won't be picking in the Top 3 for a long while, but that also doesn't mean we have no chance at a franchise QB. If we have the right front office in place, they'll hit QB when the time is right, whether it's at #2, #12, #28, or somewhere in the 2nd to 7th rounds. It's all about the number of bites on the apple, and if we got 1/2/3/1/1 from Atlanta to move to #8, that's a lot of bites. 

As I mentioned many times.  Trade up for Caleb.  Take Maye.  Take Daniels.  I got opinions on what I prefer but they are all good.  As Matt Miller among others said these three Qbs would be #1 in most drafts.  Its rare for us to be in this posiion.  Carpe diem versus play it scared. 

But the idea of punting on this.  I don't know how many diatribes I need to launch on this. :ols: I know some of them have been at you.  Sorry. Nothing personal.  It just feels like some of our fans are on different planets than some of us as to the experiences in the last two decades. 

And this comes off as a shot but i don't mean it this way -- but Bruce Allen and Ron's risk averse take it medium approach isn't so bad with some.  I know they were the wrong messengers for the approach so it feels like a shot.  But I am learning that a vocal minority of fans were somewhat on board with their approach even if they didn't care for the messenger.

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I posted in the draft forum about Joel Klatt's mock draft and a number of players he described as natural fits for a team. This was one of them. Klatt was apparently briefly a backup QB behind drew brees in NO and was saying how poor a fit Russell Wilson was for Payton, basically because Payton wants a point guard distributing the football on schedule. Klatt said that Bo NIx could be a really good fit for a Sean Payton offense. 

Payton is high on J.J.

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I did the research and taking the 2nd or even 3rd QB in a strong QB class has a better then 50% hit rate.

Ill take those chances now.

• Like 3

"If I get drafted by the Bears, I'll be excited," he said. "If they trade the pick, and I get drafted by someone else, I'm just as excited. Speaking about Chicago, they have a talented team, a talented offense and defense. For anyone to be in that situation, I think they'd be excited."

Williams pushed back on any notion that he would request a trade or wants to play elsewhere.

"I'm not pushing any agenda," Williams said. "At the end of the day, the Bears have the last say. Regardless of how I feel, I'm not pushing an agenda of, 'Yeah, I want to go. Or no, I don't want to go.' I'm excited for whatever comes."

Williams said he is eager for his "first date" with Chicago, with a meeting planned in Indianapolis this week, and stressed the importance of the first impression.

He said he was intrigued to hear about the Bears' plans and learn what the organization is like and the vision moving forward. Chicago hasn't won a playoff game since 2010 and has finished with a winning record just twice since.

"Just the constant growth and change, that's important whether you are a quarterback or wide receiver or a general manager or an owner or an organization," Williams said of what he's looking for. "Just a healthy situation -- in the facility, with the players -- and just a place that really wants to win."

Williams said he has been to Chicago once, has heard good things about the rowdiness of Bears fans, and has gone down video rabbit holes studying both Jordan and Payton, two of the city's most iconic athletes.

"I'm 22. I didn't really get to see those players," Williams said. "As the saying goes, the legends live on. That's my goal of playing football -- it's not money, it's not fame ... it's to be immortal. I want to reach that sense of being a legend. Being at the table ... and having a rightful seat through hard work and energy and time I've put into this game that we all love.

"It's appealing to be in a city like that. With legends that you've looked up to ... reach for the standard they set and try to do anything to get there."

Williams' next most speculated destination is the Washington Commanders, who have the No. 2 pick. That union would mark a return home for Williams, who grew up in the area and attended Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C.

"It'd be really cool because it's so familiar," he said. "There's a time and place for everything. My job and my hobby is being at the facility or on the field or watching film. Or relaxing and prepping for the next day or game.

"My main goal and focus ... is to go win games and stay focused on keeping the main goal the main goal."

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe, but if it worked out another way who cares? It's a crap shoot with all the QB's and Carolina looks like the newest fools right now. While the Bears look like the smart people at this point.  I am not tied to the no.2 QB has to be the pick as been stated many times. Whatever they do is what we are going to live with, just hope it's right. I know what order I want but that's it. 

Oh wow, you mean to tell me Caleb is not demanding things behind the scenes like a brat.
& what the fake blue checks on twitter said was false and people ran with it because they don’t like him. I’m shocked 😮

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that they can do anything in the draft is what's put out there by almost every team, every year.  I among others telegraphed this in advance -- its just boiler plate draft rhetoric that most smart teams engage in.

We'd have a fairly lazy group running this team IMO if they've landed on this already.  the process has just started.  Keim has talked to about this to death, this FO will study these guys relentlessly -- they are very thorough.   Interviews. Pro Days.  Team visits.

When did the Tean put that out there? It's just my opinion and means nothing to them, I would like them to do all the work and not be stuck on what you have to do.