Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

49 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

But I don't think I really need to explain the nuance of being the face of a franchise/city when the city's largest demo is people of color do I? 

Not only is there no need for you to do it, but you'd be stepping on one of the most important rules for the stadium. One that's been stickied at the top for years.

We don't post any comments that contain  political, or sociopolitical, or religious content.

It's 100% avoidance for this forum.

You already posted more than you should of so I'll be editing it out of your post so that others don't extend the matter by replying.

You're not getting any kind of penalty for it, but make sure you don't step in **** again for awhile cuz you've already got a couple breaks. That's because you're still new and you have been posting decent football content minus the couple missteps you've made. Read all the rules. Carefully. Get a feel for what flies around here, what doesn't, and how you handle things here. 🙂  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

If I was a GM at the combine, I’d want the guys that choose to actually participate in every event they can. I want guys that compete. Especially if they are healthy. Brian Mitchell was saying the same thing the other day, talking about how he wanted to compete to show how good he is during his combine. I guess I’m just old school. That’s why I like Baker so much, the dude is a competitor with a never say die attitude. I wonder if any GM has ever asked one of these qbs why they decided not to throw? I’d love to hear the reason.

I also prefer that QBs throw at the combine. But I assume the reason the top guys don't is because they feel like they have nothing to gain since they basically know they're going in the top 5 anyway.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

If I was a GM at the combine, I’d want the guys that choose to actually participate in every event they can. I want guys that compete. Especially if they are healthy. Brian Mitchell was saying the same thing the other day, talking about how he wanted to compete to show how good he is during his combine. I guess I’m just old school. That’s why I like Baker so much, the dude is a competitor with a never say die attitude. I wonder if any GM has ever asked one of these qbs decided not to throw? I’d love to hear the reason.

You mean like Stroud?  Some do, just not these 3 blue chippers they don't have the fire to compete.   

41 minutes ago, illone said:

Listening to today’s pressers...

id pay at least a standard PayPerView fee to listen to Adam Peters’ and Sam Howell’s conversation. 

Did Peters give off a vibe either way on what he thinks about Howell? I think it's really interesting that there are reports of teams being interested in Sam this early in the offseason. 

47 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

AH, figured out why Benkert doesn't like Maye, he reviewed one of his more meh games, vs. NC State.

22 of 38 for 254, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

Arguably his 2nd worst game of the year.

I just watched this and I don't get why people were so mad at him. I mean, the Mason Rudolph comparison was bizarre (all of his comps are weird but I don't like comps anyway). But its not like he is just bashing him here. He just thinks he's too raw to take him where he is being projected and he should sit and learn from a vet QB before playing for a season or 2. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just watched this and I don't get why people were so mad at him. I mean, the Mason Rudolph comparison was bizarre (all of his comps are weird but I don't loke comps anyway). But its not like he is just bashing him here. He just thinks he's too raw to take him where he is being projected and he should sit and learn from a vet QB before playing for a season or 2. 

Mods and longtime members here are fussy about the quality of sources used in all our forums. You used a source that is widely perceived as pretty shaky and doesn't meet that standard. We don't grab just any of the thousands of bloggers to reproduce here in our discussions. It dumbs them down, just as that one did.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also prefer that QBs throw at the combine. But I assume the reason the top guys don't is because they feel like they have nothing to gain since they basically know they're going in the top 5 anyway.

I know that, but I’d love for just one GM to put one on the spot and ask why didn’t you throw? During the pro bowl, the players other than ST never played hard, but they went at it during the passing skills challenge. Especially in the 90s, those dudes competed and wanted to be the best. 

Edited by mac8887

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just watched this and I don't get why people were so mad at him. I mean, the Mason Rudolph comparison was bizarre (all of his comps are weird but I don't loke comps anyway). But its not like he is just bashing him here. He just thinks he's too raw to take him where he is being projected and he should sit and learn from a vet QB before playing for a season or 2. 

For someone who gets defensive whenever someone posts anything that might be construed as negative towards jayden daniels it surprises me that you don't get why this guy's far outlier take would be clowned. 

If someone posted a report of some nobody suggesting daniels should sit for a year or two you'd laugh for the same reasons.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

You mean like Stroud?  Some do, just not these 3 blue chippers they don't have the fire to compete.   

Stroud threw like a man on fire. That’s what I want out of my guy, I don’t want a guy that’s either too scared to throw because of possibly hurting their stock or for any other reason than being injured. I want my guy to want to throw every chance he can get to prove to everyone watching that he is the best and deserves to be picked. I want a guy that’s telling the other guys I’m going to out throw you, that even makes the combine a friendly competition with the others. And finally, the ones that can throw should for the fact that it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity that the ones that don’t get invited would kill for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Ryan blows Vick out of the water.

By the way, Maye is a southern boy too, so he could also fit what the city of Altanta whats. But methinks Raheem was trying to appeal to the African American demographic down in the Atl.

So glad Washington didn't choose Raheem. jJust don't think he is a viable head coach.

• Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

I hear you, but I think things would have been different with Howell, had Ron not ignored the O-line. I’m not saying Howell would have be Purdy, but having a solid team around you (and not throwing it 50 times a game) would have made that comparison a little closer. Can it set a franchise back a good 5 years? Sure. 10-15 is just media dramatics.

I took it more that some teams (this has been one of those) have been in QB wilderness for a long time.  Do you take a chance again and test that?  Trading down at a minimum puts that theory to the test. We've been arguably in QB wildnerness for most of the last 30 years. 

As Brugler hit as bad as this team has been its amazing that they only took one QB in the top ten in the last 30 years.

If we forgo taking a QB this draft, maybe we get lucky and the QB hell that this team has experenced gets fixed in a future way but 10-15 years more of QB purgatory is certainly on the table.

My issue with his point was why for this team of all teams do we want to test this theory?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

For someone who gets defensive whenever someone posts anything that might be construed as negative towards jayden daniels it surprises me that you don't get why this guy's far outlier take would be clowned. 

If someone posted a report of some nobody suggesting daniels should sit for a year or two you'd laugh for the same reasons.

How is sitting a bad thing when, as we have mentioned a thousand times, Patrick Mahomes, Jordan Love and countless others sat and it benefitted them greatly?

Arguably the best QB who has maybe ever played this game sat and Andy Reid drafted him KNOWING that he needed to sit and was going to sit. If you go back and watch Andy's presser when he's drafted, Reid was clear about developing him and not throwing him out there right away. 

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a great QB for people to sit behind but we can probably count millions of QBs that would had much better careers longterm if they weren't immediately thrown into the fire. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

4 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

AH, figured out why Benkert doesn't like Maye, he reviewed one of his more meh games, vs. NC State.

22 of 38 for 254, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

Arguably his 2nd worst game of the year.

Seems like that just highlights one of the issues with Maye, maybe his most serious: inconsistency. 

All three of the top guys had couple/few games against lesser competition this year, so we don't see 'experts' using those for breakdowns.  With Maye, those were Appalachian State and Campbell, leaving 10 games to pick from. He threw multiple picks in three of those; UNC lost four of those; completed <60% in four of those; threw <300 yds in five; QB rating <140 in four; ran for 25 or less in 5.  Other than maybe the Syracuse game, he was gonna get something not-great happening. 

Which I think is pretty natural for such a young QB with ho-hum talent around him. Maye will mature and smooth out the rough edges - same thing that happened with Daniels. I think that's why this guy is saying Maye would be best served 'apprenticing' behind a solid vet. Unfortunately for Maye, that's not usually the situation a rookie QB getting picked at the top of the first round is heading into.  Personally, I'm hoping really hard that the Commanders convince Brissett to come back to D.C. as the bridge/mentor for Maye, with Howell traded.

Edited by Dah-Dee

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Mods and longtime members here are fussy about the quality of sources used in all our forums. You used a source that is widely perceived as pretty shaky and doesn't meet that standard. We don't grab just any of the thousands of bloggers to reproduce here in our discussions. It dumbs them down, just as that one did.

I rant and rave about every source being crap, even “credible” ones like PFF

Im nothing if not consistent. 

🤣

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just watched this and I don't get why people were so mad at him. I mean, the Mason Rudolph comparison was bizarre (all of his comps are weird but I don't like comps anyway). But its not like he is just bashing him here. He just thinks he's too raw to take him where he is being projected and he should sit and learn from a vet QB before playing for a season or 2. 

It’s a ****ing absurd comparison. Mason Rudolph had more rushing ATTEMPTS than YARDS every year in college. He is a god damn statue. Maye is not. They are the same size, other than that it’s just ridiculous. So his whole analysis should be subjected to ridicule because of that choice.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

How is sitting a bad thing when, as we have mentioned a thousand times, Patrick Mahomes, Jordan Love and countless others sat and it benefitted them greatly?

Arguably the best QB who has maybe ever played this game sat and Andy Reid drafted him KNOWING that he needed to sit and was going to sit.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of a great QB but we can probably count millions of QBs that would had much better careers longterm if they weren't immediately thrown into the fire. 

It's not a bad thing and I would have no objection whatsoever to whichever quarterback we take sitting for a year but I believe there's an ulterior motive in saying that about any one particular prospect when certain people want to discredit them especially when they say 2 years.

If I said jayden should sit for a year because he's raw and not worthy of such a high pick would you come back with the same defense about all the quarterbacks it benefited?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The dude is in love with Daniels. Which is fine. But he should admit it and stop pretending to be impartial. I watched all three of the all-22s and in the Daniels tape he made excuse after excuse for pretty much any negative play. With Williams and Maye he blamed most of the mistakes on them.

And yes, the Mason Rudolph comparison is absolute clown shoes. Which you may disregard, but which I see as indicative of how he thinks and what level of "scout" he is.

Edited by mistertim

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It's not a bad thing and I would have no objection whatsoever to whichever quarterback we take sitting for a year but I believe there's an ulterior motive in saying that about any one particular prospect when certain people want to discredit them especially when they say 2 years.

If I said jayden should sit for a year because he's raw and not worthy of such a high pick would you come back with the same defense about all the quarterbacks it benefited?

So lets take Kurt out of it. 

Daniel Jeremiah who people seem to respect just told JP Finlay while he has Maye at 2, he also thinks Maye is the toughest evaluation of the 3 QBs, opinions are varied and his tape wasn't very good this year. He literally says "he's a hard one to figure out"

So a respected scout saying that Maye is the toughest evaluation of them all means there are probably tons of varying opinions on him. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick