Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The same case for questioning super bad reviews applies for super good as well.

If your gonna shatter general understanding, you better have a name behind it.

If you like a guy better than another, cool.

If you think a dude is the best you ever evaluated when the majority of the establishment does not have him QB1 in his own draft... I'm pulling credentials.

This dude gave Caleb Williams a C- in pocket awareness. *hits with newspaper* Bad review guy! Very bad! Go sit in the corner!

And this is coming from a dude who has Caleb, Drake and Jayden all roughly graded out the same so I don't think its crazy for peeps to rate Maye over Williams.

I wasn’t aware newspaper discipline was still allowed in this new age.  That’s how you trained a dog in ‘88!  Hilarious 😆 afterwards face plant in pee! With death stare…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ddyork said:

RGme wasn't all that accurate.  Kirk Cousins was a better passer...  2 things hurt RGMe...  In college, didn't play in a pro style offense.  Had a tendacy to take linebackers head on...

I don’t think he was inaccurate. He had everything you’d want physically, other than durability. He just didn’t process at an NFL level. Once he couldn’t warp defensive schemes with his legs, he was unable to quickly go through reads and distribute the ball as efficiently as say, Cousins. 

51 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t think he was inaccurate. He had everything you’d want physically, other than durability. He just didn’t process at an NFL level. Once he couldn’t warp defensive schemes with his legs, he was unable to quickly go through reads and distribute the ball as efficiently as say, Cousins. 

I mean, he played in a super gimmicky offense his entire college career which is why I wasn't crazy about him coming out. It was just nothing that resembled a pro offense. 

Breer said scouts were warning people before the draft

Speaking to anonymous scouts, Albert Breer of NFL Network got some fantastic quotes about Griffin. They aren't especially flattering, though. Chiefly, they ripped the Baylor offense and the play calling style.

"They don't call plays in the huddle. They walk to the line, the play comes from upstairs to the sideline, and it's signaled in," one told Breer. "The coordinator upstairs is reading the defense, (Griffin) is not doing that at all. And in the NFL, you're going to have to be the one reading the defense."

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

FB_IMG_1708220847977.thumb.jpg.545ed903098fe1cbf1745ebb29e13f21.jpg

OMG.....at this point I think there is either some serious groupthink going on with draft media types, or scouts are just having fun with the media types. JJ McCarthy has never shown a damn thing as a QB. And any serious scout knows this. He's got a decent arm, never had any pressure on him, had the best running game and defense in cfb to support him, he's really not that fast of a runner, never threw touch passes. He takes a huge stride when he sets and throws, which won't play well in the NFL.  This has got to be some kind of joke that just won't end.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

OMG.....at this point I think there is either some serious groupthink going on with draft media types, or scouts are just having fun with the media types. JJ McCarthy has never shown a damn thing as a QB. And any serious scout knows this. He's got a decent arm, never had any pressure on him, had the best running game and defense in cfb to support him, he's really not that fast of a runner, never threw touch passes. He takes a huge stride when he sets and throws, which won't play well in the NFL.  This has got to be some kind of joke that just won't end.

There are 6 QBs who could go round one and will go round two at the latest. What's the chance of them all succeeding? 1 or 2 in 6? What's the chance those 1 or 2 are the top two QBs? Pretty slim, right?

There is zero chance Williams, Maye and Daniels have great careers and the chance of a QB hitting outside the top 3 isn't much worse.

You could be right. JJ played in the system perfectly and it wasn't an offense designed to show case the QB, but he still nailed it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I would guess Maye actually wins on this thread too, but it might be close. The Daniels contingent is just extremely vocal and seem more vehement about it.

Me as well, I think there are loud Daniels fans, and loud trade down fans, and persistent handful of Maye fans and a lot of quiet Maye fans. 

None of it matters really, the team needs to take the best QB prospect available on the board, not the best for their system, not the best to thrill fans, the best prospect at the position, period. It is way too hard to hit on QB's, you need to pull the trigger for the right reasons. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There are 6 QBs who could go round one and will go round two at the latest. What's the chance of them all succeeding? 1 or 2 in 6? What's the chance those 1 or 2 are the top two QBs? Pretty slim, right?

There is zero chance Williams, Maye and Daniels have great careers and the chance of a QB hitting outside the top 3 isn't much worse.

You could be right. JJ played in the system perfectly and it wasn't an offense designed to show case the QB, but he still nailed it.

What would you think about adding a poll to this thread?

I'd be kind of interested in seeing what the numbers are on who people think we should take in the draft.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What would you think about adding a poll to this thread?

I'd be kind of interested in seeing what the numbers are on who people think we should take in the draft.

I was thinking about that. Can I add a poll?

29 minutes ago, MrJL said:

so if we're doing this Air Raid offense thing then isn't Maye the obvious choice with Howell the proper backup and maybe hoping Dyami Brown steps up some as WR?

Yeah, but what if Maye goes first? The more I hear, the less I'm sold on Caleb Williams. Maye seems like a safer bet. I hope Chicago goes for the hype and takes Williams so it's a non-issue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

FB_IMG_1708220847977.thumb.jpg.545ed903098fe1cbf1745ebb29e13f21.jpg

Why is no one questioning why Harbaugh unnecessarily hid McCarthy then? Andrew Luck became the destined #1 overall pick under him. 

They had a great running game and a great defense, sure. But you know what makes those aspects even easier? Letting your stud QB ball out enough to make people afraid of him. Then everything gets easier. Instead we’re hearing about how if Harbaugh let JJ throw the ball, he’d be a star. Like Harbaugh was purposely playing the game on hard mode by handcuffing his secret stud QB.

Why? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why is no one questioning why Harbaugh unnecessarily hid McCarthy then? Andrew Luck became the destined #1 overall pick under him. 

They had a great running game and a great defense, sure. But you know what makes those aspects even easier? Letting your stud QB ball out enough to make people afraid of him. Then everything gets easier. Instead we’re hearing about how if Harbaugh let JJ throw the ball, he’d be a star. Like Harbaugh was purposely playing the game on hard mode by handcuffing his secret stud QB.

Why? 

I dunno. I've seen quick processor and doing what he's ask and don't like any other QB, except Maye. I'm really down on Williams though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

so if we're doing this Air Raid offense thing then isn't Maye the obvious choice with Howell the proper backup and maybe hoping Dyami Brown steps up some as WR?

Kingsbury said he's not running the Air Raid here. 

And I don't know how long we wait for Dyami to step up. Howell was his QB in college they were supposed to have this great chemistry on the field and we saw none of that. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some of you are seeing Josh Allen with this Maye kid, I'm having a hard time not seeing Josh Rosen. I'm going to have to pass on him. No thanks!

Other than both being 6’4” I struggle to see the comparison. Like at all. They’re almost polar opposites. 

Rosen was renowned for his excellent footwork and mechanics, but was a statue that ran close to a 5.0 40 and had an average arm. He struggled ripping passes down the seam and sucked at the deep ball. He was not physically talented at all. 

Maye is a 4.6 guy at the least, has an incredible arm, and his biggest weakness is arguably his sloppy footwork—that’s when his accuracy suffers. Otherwise, his superpower is layering in throws over the middle of the field at the second and third levels. He’s athletic as hell. 

Almost couldn’t be more different.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

Other than both being 6’4” I struggle to see the comparison. Like at all. They’re almost polar opposites. 

Rosen was renowned for his excellent footwork and mechanics, but was a statue that ran close to a 5.0 40 and had an average arm. He struggled ripping passes down the seam and sucked at the deep ball. He was not physically talented at all. 

Maye is a 4.6 guy at the least, has an incredible arm, and his biggest weakness is arguably his sloppy footwork—that’s when his accuracy suffers. Otherwise, his superpower is layering in throws over the middle of the field at the second and third levels. He’s athletic as hell. 

Almost couldn’t be more different.

Meh, perhaps this is what happens when you only have highlights to go off of. Their college videos look eerily similar to me so far. Oh well, this is why the pro evaluators are around to figure this stuff out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, one thing is UNC has a crappy OL to say the least.  You see Maye go both ways a couple times to make time to find the open man and make the completion. 

2 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

His career stats look pretty good to me.  I'm on the Maye train but IF Peters trades down and takes JJ McCarthy I surely wouldn't be upset.  

image.png.313373279553ad3dc4c1bee00916ba7e.png

13 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Sigh.  So easy to point to the GB “HOF QB” excuse. Here’s the “some” you asked for:

Took over in back half of Year 1:

Lamar Jackson

Eli Manning

Jalen Hurts

Jared Goff (didn’t help him as much early)

Took over in Year 2:

Patrick Mahomes

Tom Brady

Drew Brees
Carson Palmer

Michael Vick

Colin Kaepernick

Marc Bulger

Took over in Year 3:

Philip Rivers

Tony Romo

Took over in Year 4:

Aaron Rodgers

Kirk Cousins

Most of the guys above took over for “meh” players or worse. 

Probably the best examples on this list are guys like Brees, Palmer, and Vick. Problem is they came up in an era (20+ years ago) where rookies QBs usually sat, no matter who you were. Sure, you had occasional exceptions like Peyton Manning. And that practice started to change in the late 90s and really early 2000s. But you still had plenty of teams (or really coaches) that went "old school" back then. If was almost the norm. But sitting rookies hasn't been the norm for quite some time and really isn't representative of players and teams today.

As for the other guys....

You might knock Bledsoe, but he's a former first overall pick, once QB'd the Patriots to a Super Bowl, and ended up starting 193 games in his career and is still 17th overall in passing yards in NFL history. So yeah, he didn't immediately lose his job to a 6th round pick (in the same era were rookies rarely started), but it didn't take very long.

Mahomes did sit behind Alex Smith for a year. And Alex Smith wasn't a great QB. And he almost certainly was made to look better than he was by Andy Reid and the supporting cast. But two points. The Washington version of Alex Smith was way past his prime. QBs are normally at their peak in the late 20s, start to fall off a little at 31 and then a lot at 34. Alex Smither's first year in Washington was at age 34. And in Kansas City, Smith was a 4 year starter pre-Mahomes putting up records of 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, and most recently 12-4. You'd be hard pressed to find any coach willing to bench a guy like, even for a first round pick. Though it didn't take long for Mahomes to clearly show he was better.

Not sure Kaepernick was really anything more than a flash in the pan. Obviously other issues led to him being out of the league, but his play had taken a huge downward turn after initial (and fairly brief) success.

Rodgers was behind Favre, Rivers was behind Brees, and Bulger behind Warner, three HOFers.

Romo played Division I-AA football and was undrafted. So they did bring him along more slowly. And Cousins, well people here should know his story.

But I think the point it, unless you're going back 20+ years, highly picked QBs don't really sit unless there's someone pretty good in front of them. Maybe the best recent example would be someone like Trey Lance, though he was about as raw as a QB prospect can be.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm really worried that Chicago takes Maye, because I think he's the clear QB1 and that it's not close. 

McCarthy is my QB2.

Maybe Williams will lit'up the combine ? If not, then trade down with the Vikings who might part ways with their greedy 35 years old QB, get McCarthy and a few 1st and 2nd rounders.;)

• Like 2