Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Post-June 1st designation unless they can fool a super desperate team into making a trade. 

Those are still eye watering dead cap hits even with a post June 1. 

I can’t see anyone trading for him on his current contract. 

• Like 1

The veteran qb market isn’t going to be that large.

Minnesota- if they don’t resign Kirk

Tampa- if they don’t resign Baker

Atlanta 

Las Vegas- AP may feel a vet qb is better. Jimmy G. Is going to be cut, especially after earning a 2 game suspension for 24.

Denver-???? Doesn’t seem like they fall for that again, especially after the cap hit for Wilson.

Pittsburgh

I think Atlanta and Pittsburgh are the teams most likely to go the vet qb route.

6 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Does Caleb Williams have an issue playing from behind? I need to look at more film but some of those numbere...

Caleb played from behind in many games this past season. That usc defense was like ours only way worse. Poor tackling, poor angles, couldnt close a screen door in a hurricane. The only game he wasnt able to come back in was the notre dame game. But multiple times he was down two or more scores and brought the team back. 

AZ and Cal games come to mind but there are more. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The veteran qb market isn’t going to be that large.

Minnesota- if they don’t resign Kirk

Tampa- if they don’t resign Baker

Atlanta 

Las Vegas- AP may feel a vet qb is better. Jimmy G. Is going to be cut, especially after earning a 2 game suspension for 24.

Denver-???? Doesn’t seem like they fall for that again, especially after the cap hit for Wilson.

Pittsburgh

I think Atlanta and Pittsburgh are the teams most likely to go the vet qb route.

The two QBs who might be on the move are Kirk and Fields.  They’ll go somewhere, with Fields almost certainly moving.  The Vikings could re-sign Kirk.  I put my bet on Atlanta.  He and Morris were here together and they need a Qb, and probably can’t get high enough to draft one of the top 3 guys.  

Atlanta could also get Fields.  

I think Russell Wilson is going somewhere somehow but I’m not sure how.  But not as a permanent starter.  

1 hour ago, illone said:

Caleb played from behind in many games this past season. That usc defense was like ours only way worse. Poor tackling, poor angles, couldnt close a screen door in a hurricane. The only game he wasnt able to come back in was the notre dame game. But multiple times he was down two or more scores and brought the team back. 

I asked because of this stat. His passer rating when behind is lower than almost all the other QBs

2024 @NFLDraft Quarterback Prospects
Performance when behind 1-14 points

3. Jayden Daniels, LSU
132.52 Situational Passer Rating
67-of-97, 1075 yards, 12 TDs, three INT

8. Drake Maye, North Carolina
100.86 Situational Passer Rating
47-of-82, 804 yards, five TDs, two INTs

12. Caleb Williams, USC
89.38 Situational Passer Rating
78-of-126, 980 yards, five TDs, three INTs

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The two QBs who might be on the move are Kirk and Fields.  They’ll go somewhere, with Fields almost certainly moving.  The Vikings could re-sign Kirk.  I put my bet on Atlanta.  He and Morris were here together and they need a Qb, and probably can’t get high enough to draft one of the top 3 guys.  

Atlanta could also get Fields.  

I think Russell Wilson is going somewhere somehow but I’m not sure how.  But not as a permanent starter.  

How would Baker Mayfield look here? Seems like a Quinn type of guy......draft Harrison. Baker is 28 years old, Bruce Arians raves about Baker Mayfield.....its just a question, Mayfield's a former #1 overall pick. 28 td's, 10 picks, 4044 yards this past season. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

How would Baker Mayfield look here? Seems like a Quinn type of guy......draft Harrison. Baker is 28 years old, Bruce Arians raves about Baker Mayfield.....its just a question, Mayfield's a former #1 overall pick. 28 td's, 10 picks, 4044 yards this past season. 

I think they’re drafting a QB.  And I think Baker is staying in Tampa.  

The reason I wouldn’t love it is it’s expensive and Baker is what he is, kindof like a Kirk guy.  Best of the good who’s going to get $25-$35m per year.  

I’d prefer to get 5 years on a rookie deal.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's my favorite part of this off season. We have multiple people on the offensive coaching staff that are great with young QBs. It's a complete 180 from who we've been. To also have the #2 draft pick in a great QB year is an absolute gift.

You're right.  However, oddly, the person who's going to work with the new QB most closely on a day-to-day basis and run the QB meeting room, the QB coach, was here last year.  

I do find that remarkably ironic.  

5 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

The Daniels QB1 hype is getting crazy, i would love if the bears just decided to let caleb fall to us

At this point, I really feel like this is a campaign engineered by the Daniels camp.  

There is a serious possibility #2 is Maye.  And I think that's going to shock a lot of people. Especially in the media who've bought the Daniels hype hook-line-and-sinker.

Now, the hype could be real.  But I'm personally not quite there yet.  This is lying season.  I think we need to see what we hear after the combine and the interviews.  That will make it a bit more interesting.

Oh, and we ABSOLUTELY need to wait to see what the Almighty Thor Nystrom has to say about the matter.  Because he's never wrong.  I am willing to bet he's going to have Daniels at either #1 or #2.  Just like he had Malik Willis as his "can't miss" QB prospect, and said he was "as sure the NFL got it wrong" when Willis was drafted in the 3rd round as he was when the league passed on Lamar, who was a first round (granted, last pick) pick.  

And yes, @Conn, I know, I let these guys live rent free in my head.  I can't help it.  I need drugs or counseling.  Or, preferably, both.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, illone said:

He wasn’t able to bring them back in quite a few games - the Washington and Oregon losses in particular come to mind.   It was a lost season by that point and I think the team had kind of quit but he definitely seemed very beatable in those final games of the season.

Maybe last season paints a different picture but this season he was not a good “come from behind” quarterback.

I actually go to USC for grad school and often ended up passing up tickets to go to those late season games.  As those games were playing out, I remember often thinking - wow, that would suck if Caleb pulled off some historic come from behind victory and I missed watching that live - but it never happened lol.  

I think the closest one was the Utah game, which pretty much ended their BCS chances.

Edited by skinsarethebest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And yes, @Conn, I know, I let these guys live rent free in my head.  I can't help it.  I need drugs or counseling.  Or, preferably, both.  

:ols:

So if he’s living rent-free in your head, and every time you think of him, you think of me…does that mean I’m subletting a room from him up there? 🤔 

• Haha 5

In a vacuum, having a solid veteran QB might make sense. But I can't imagine any vet that wants a chance to start will sign here. Because they'll assume a draft pick takes that job. Even a guy like Brissett would want a clearer path to playing time, I would think. It didn't happen for Brissett in 2023, but Howell probably wasn't viewed as a huge hurdle back when he signed. And fringy starters, like Brissett was in 2023, tend to command a decent chunk of change. You saw guys like Brissett and Fitzpatrick before him get $10-$12 million a year. Not real QB starter money, but better than back-up contracts. While Washington has plenty of cap space, it's not infinite and can dry up quickly given all the needs. Seems like a waste to burn it on a veteran backup when you have Howell sitting right there making under a million dollars. seems better to roll that amount over or spend it on another OL or LB.

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

There is like an $85M dead cap hit if they release Wilson. I don’t see how they could possibly do that.

I know this has been subsequently answered, I think it’s more about cash in that there’s the best part of another 40m about to fully guarantee in March. That’s why they benched him - to avoid injury and limit the risk to the Organisation of having that guarantee activate via injury.

They will release him soon IMO.

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I know this has been subsequently answered, I think it’s more about cash in that there’s the best part of another 40m about to fully guarantee in March. That’s why they benched him - to avoid injury and limit the risk to the Organisation of having that guarantee activate via injury.

They will release him soon IMO.

Russ is gone.  He probably goes to LV for the vet minimum since the Broncos are on the hook for all the money since he can't double dip.  LV is too far away from the QBs in the draft.

Fields is either traded to Pittsburgh or Atlanta IMO.

Kirk is choosing between Atlanta and Minny.

Baker resigns in Tampa.

Denver will sign a vet, but I have no idea whom.  They could also draft McCarthy, but I think JJ may get taken by Atlanta at 8 honestly.  

Many of these questions will get decided in FA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Russ is gone.  He probably goes to LV for the vet minimum since the Broncos are on the hook for all the money since he can't double dip.  LV is too far away from the QBs in the draft.

Fields is either traded to Pittsburgh or Atlanta IMO.

I’ve seen Wilson to Pittsburgh touted. However, they do keep claiming Tomlin loves Fields. And yep, someone will get Wilson in 2024 on vet min won’t they. Not the worst outcome.

9 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I asked because of this stat. His passer rating when behind is lower than almost all the other QBs

2024 @NFLDraft Quarterback Prospects
Performance when behind 1-14 points

3. Jayden Daniels, LSU
132.52 Situational Passer Rating
67-of-97, 1075 yards, 12 TDs, three INT

8. Drake Maye, North Carolina
100.86 Situational Passer Rating
47-of-82, 804 yards, five TDs, two INTs

12. Caleb Williams, USC
89.38 Situational Passer Rating
78-of-126, 980 yards, five TDs, three INTs

J.J. no.1 in the clutch

Would russel Wilson's knew contract be a vet minimum for 2 years since he still has 2 years left on his deal? If so than that's really appealing. He had a good year last year and still has a couple of years left where he can play at a high level.

If he'd be a vet minimum for 2 years, I'd be ok with signing him and trading back for jj mccarthy while also picking up a huge haul, at leadt another 1st and 2nd rounder. Just think of all the talent we could get assembled for jj by the time he'd be ready to start. With all those picks and cap space from having a rookie qb and another on vet minimum, theoretically we could have elite talent all over the place if we hit on the picks and free agents

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At this point, I really feel like this is a campaign engineered by the Daniels camp.  

There is a serious possibility #2 is Maye.  And I think that's going to shock a lot of people. Especially in the media who've bought the Daniels hype hook-line-and-sinker.

Not that it matters but am surprised on Twitter Maye wins the meaningless popularity poll.   I gather on this thread Maye might get crushed.  :ols:

But yeah as far as the media on this -- in their defense this always happens it seems where QBs build momentum with talking heads.  It's a good way to get attention also to go outside convention, also feels a bit cooler-hipsterish.   I remember like yesterday the phase where a number of talking heads who said RG3>Luck.

Not to pick on Chris Simms, everyone gets some wrong, but there are always outier takes on these guys and the outlier takes get attention. 

i still see Maye as #2 in more mocks than not albiet that doesn't matter either.  At a minimum I gather the Daniels-Maye debate with be a torture 2 month discussion. :ols:

Zach Wilson 'the best quarterback' in 2021 NFL Draft, says Chris Simms

Chris Simms on Zach Wilson: "For my money, he is the best quarterback in the draft; when I studied him, I felt like I was watching Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes-ish kind of play"

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/12287962/zach-wilson-the-best-quarterback-in-2021-nfl-draft-says-chris-simms

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2