Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

35 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Can you imagine how fun this draft will be to watch if they trade down?  Massive picks for QB.  a first this year, a first next year and probably a 2nd, 4th and 5th this year.

My Spidey Sense is an upgraded version of Calab Williams' version.

wasted.jpg.c1532688f59be76a809b4425ab478cf3.jpg

This is important perspective for this thread.....Any board poster who thinks they can determine a college QB's future NFL performance, and specifically their ability to be accurate, go back and watch this Patrick Mahomes game from 2016. Especially the first quarter/half. How in the hell do you extrapolate that this weird looking, no-neck kid chucking bad passes behind and ahead of receivers, will eventually be one of the best, most accurate NFL quarterbacks of all time?

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

This is important perspective for this thread.....Any board poster who thinks they can determine a college QB's future NFL performance, and specifically their ability to be accurate, go back and watch this Patrick Mahomes game from 2016. How in the hell do you extrapolate that this weird looking, no-neck kid chucking bad passes behind and ahead of receivers, will eventually be one of the best, most accurate NFL quarterbacks of all time?

It's all about the coaching.   Andy Reid and everything associated with his tree is amazing.  That's why getting that right is so important in the NFL.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Can you imagine how fun this draft will be to watch if they trade down?  Massive picks for QB.  a first this year, a first next year and probably a 2nd, 4th and 5th this year.

Yes it will be fantastic. We'll get to pick up one extra random potential starter, a couple of extra special teamers, and get an extra 1st round pick next year in a ****ty QB draft. Hello, mediocrity! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I put some of this on the draft thread too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/01/senior-bowl-bowers-penix-nix-draft-qb

1. The quarterback questions are legitimate

It’s an almost universal opinion that USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels are going to be the first quarterbacks taken in the draft, and potentially as the first three picks.

After them, Oregon’s Bo Nix and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are likely next in line. As I wrote Wednesday night, that remains true, but the duo isn’t doing itself any favors here in Mobile.

While each put up massive numbers in the Pac-12 this year, there are real questions surrounding both.

Nix struggled at Auburn for three years, throwing for a combined 39 touchdowns against 16 interceptions while never eclipsing 2,600 passing yards in a season. At Oregon, playing in a much more quarterback-friendly scheme, his numbers skyrocketed. In 2023 alone, he threw for 4,508 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions.

In Mobile, Nix occasionally struggled with accuracy and getting the ball out. Considering his lack of chemistry with the receivers, some of that was understandable, but it still raises questions.

The same is true of Penix, who played four injury-marred seasons for Indiana and produced very little. Then, surrounded by a better scheme and elite receivers, Penix blossomed into a star, registering 67 touchdown passes and more than 9,500 yards over the past two campaigns.

Ultimately, with both quarterbacks facing questions of whether they or their schemes deserve more credit, and considering their ages are a concern (Nix turns 24 years old in February, as does Penix in May), this week hasn't helped either of their draft stock.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I put some of this on the draft thread too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/01/senior-bowl-bowers-penix-nix-draft-qb

1. The quarterback questions are legitimate

It’s an almost universal opinion that USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels are going to be the first quarterbacks taken in the draft, and potentially as the first three picks.

After them, Oregon’s Bo Nix and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are likely next in line. As I wrote Wednesday night, that remains true, but the duo isn’t doing itself any favors here in Mobile.

While each put up massive numbers in the Pac-12 this year, there are real questions surrounding both.

Nix struggled at Auburn for three years, throwing for a combined 39 touchdowns against 16 interceptions while never eclipsing 2,600 passing yards in a season. At Oregon, playing in a much more quarterback-friendly scheme, his numbers skyrocketed. In 2023 alone, he threw for 4,508 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions.

In Mobile, Nix occasionally struggled with accuracy and getting the ball out. Considering his lack of chemistry with the receivers, some of that was understandable, but it still raises questions.

The same is true of Penix, who played four injury-marred seasons for Indiana and produced very little. Then, surrounded by a better scheme and elite receivers, Penix blossomed into a star, registering 67 touchdown passes and more than 9,500 yards over the past two campaigns.

Ultimately, with both quarterbacks facing questions of whether they or their schemes deserve more credit, and considering their ages are a concern (Nix turns 24 years old in February, as does Penix in May), this week hasn't helped either of their draft stock.

I'd replace Penix with McCarthy. IMO Penix is going to fall due to his injury history, age, and poor showing in the championship game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

One from last year…

Russell Wilson is touting Dan Quinn as an "amazing soul'' as the Denver Broncos QB offers his thoughts on the team's search for a head coach.

"Dan Quinn, I know him personally,'' Wilson said, via the Denver Gazette. "He's an amazing coach ... an amazing person, an amazing soul, great leader."

Put the flowers away Russell... we dont want you!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

One from last year…

Russell Wilson is touting Dan Quinn as an "amazing soul'' as the Denver Broncos QB offers his thoughts on the team's search for a head coach.

"Dan Quinn, I know him personally,'' Wilson said, via the Denver Gazette. "He's an amazing coach ... an amazing person, an amazing soul, great leader."

Me, talking to myself out loud just now, “they won’t go get Wilson, this isn’t Snyder. They won’t go get Wilson, this isn’t Snyder. They won’t go get Wilson, this isn’t Snyder… c’mon! Believe! Believe this is true!”

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

We could follow the Cardinals example and draft Marv Jr and sign Russell Wilson. People were sure Warner was washed up, Boldin is on about the same level as Terry McL, and Harrison Jr is supposed to be the next Fitzgerald...just a thought.  I don't have any confidence in a Quinn staff developing a QB, unless maybe he lands McDaniels.

By the way, what about taking Tulia Tagovailoa in the later rounds?  He's looking good in the Shrine bowl, but I never watched UMD football.  

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

We could follow the Cardinals example and draft Marv Jr and sign Russell Wilson. People were sure Warner was washed up, Boldin is on about the same level as Terry McL, and Harrison Jr is supposed to be the next Fitzgerald...just a thought.  I don't have any confidence in a Quinn staff developing a QB, unless maybe he lands McDaniels.

By the way, what about taking Tulia Tagovailoa in the later rounds?  He's looking good in the Shrine bowl, but I never watched UMD football.  

Who is McDaniels? Mike? I don’t think he’s leaving Miami. 

9 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Josh McDaniels, great OC, putrid HC.

Why do you hate me?

I’m already trying to wash my mind out with soap for having to envision Kelly and Wilson paired up. Now you throw McDaniels in the mix? I managed to forget he existed before you told me this…

• Haha 4

I will say this about Josh McDaniels.. he’s a way better OC then HC and the advantage of him here would be no matter how good he’d do here as a OC… ain’t any team calling him for a HC opening, so that’s a concern we’d never have to worry about….

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Options:

1. They rate the QB's available after whoever goes #1 to have too high of a bust risk to do it
  2. Sign Kirk Cousins
  3. Trade for Russell Wilson
  4. Daniel Jeremiah is just waiting for the Coaching and GM dust to settle before says it's 100%

If Daniel Jeremiah isn't 100%, he's gotta be 99% right?

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Options:

1. They rate the QB's available after whoever goes #1 to have too high of a bust risk to do it
  2. Sign Kirk Cousins
  3. Trade for Russell Wilson
  4. Daniel Jeremiah is just waiting for the Coaching and GM dust to settle before says it's 100%

If Daniel Jeremiah isn't 100%, he's gotta be 99% right?

What do you trade for Russell Wilson? We give them a 2027 7th for there 1st and Russell Wilson.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't see a world where we don't go QB unless our FO really doesn't like Maye or Daniels, which I suppose is possible.

my nightmare is they trade down and draft Bo Nix. I’d need to call some builder friends of mine and volunteer to help with demolition. 

the combo of styles Maye and Daniel’s represent make it extremely unlikely that the new front office would dislike both. Personally, I favor Maye.