Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean if Peters and the next HC both love Daniels I can live with that too.

They're not going to love him more than Williams or Maye.  I don't think we need to caveat for something that is unrealistic and unreasonable.  It's OK for us to acknowledge that Williams and Maye are the Tier 1 players of the class.  That is the no-brainer take that everyone else in the world has, and it would actually be deeply concerning to me if the people we are putting in charge didn't recognize it too. They'd be going so far against the grain if they like Daniels over Maye or Williams, that if they aren't patently right about it in the end, it'll cost them their jobs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

They're not going to love him more than Williams or Maye.  I don't think we need to caveat for something that is unrealistic and unreasonable.  It's OK for us to acknowledge that Williams and Maye are the Tier 1 players of the class.  That is the no-brainer take that everyone else in the world has, and it would actually be deeply concerning to me if the people we are putting in charge didn't recognize it too. They'd be going so far against the grain if they like Daniels over Maye or Williams, that if they aren't patently right about it in the end, it'll cost them their jobs.

I've seen and heard several pundits say it's possible that Daniels surpasses maye and a few even said he could go number 1 overall. They usually state that it depends on if Lamar wins the superbowl. It's a copycat league and Daniels has 1 trait the others don't, elite speed.

His frame might be slight now, but so was Lamars and jacobys when they came into the league, they are both jacked now. Jayden will be able to add weight, just being at lsu, he was able to add 15lbs. I'm sure with an nfl strength, conditioning, and nutrition program, he will be able to fix his frame in 2 years, 3 tops. He is pretty tall so that shouldn't be an issue either.

He might not like to throw into tight windows now, but that can be taught over a year or 2 and while he is learning, he does have his elite speed that he can lean on until he figures out the offensive reads and better recognizes nfl open throwing windows.

He throws a very accurate deep ball, and has the arm strength to make every throw. He also has completed over 70% of his passes over the last 2 years, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

Did I mention he has elite speed?

You are probably right and more than likely he is qb3 in this class but you are selling way short his ability to jump maye in the draft.

It's still very early and if he comes out and runs fast at the combine and makes all the throws at his pro day, he could easily jump maye. I'm a uva guy and they suck, but they made maye look like hot garbage and that worries me.

Daniels played sec defenses and put up madden numbers. Putting up numbers that compare to Joe burrow his last year. 

Most insiders still consider North Carolina’s Drake Maye the No. 2 quarterback available in the 2024 NFL Draft. However, LSU’s Jayden Daniels isn’t far behind. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper recently weighed in on 2023 Heisman Trophy winner’s rise in draft stock.

“Drake Maye turned out to be a guy that now is trying to hold off Jayden Daniels,” Kiper said. “I have not yet finalized Jayden or Drake. That’s going to be something I’m thinking about all the way into April.

“I had Jayden up at [No.] 4 [quarterback] when people hadn’t even had him in the top five. I’ve had him there since late September, early October, I had him up in the top 10, and I’m getting, ‘Oh my gosh, what are you doing?'”

Kiper’s early praise for Daniels was fantastic foresight. The Tigers’ QB completed 236-of-327 passes this season for 3,812 yards and 40 touchdowns with just four interceptions while also rushing for 1,134 yards and another 10 scores, leading the Tigers to a 9-3 regular season.

He became the first LSU Tiger to win the Heisman Trophy since Joe Burrow brought home the hardware in 2019.  Daniels led the nation in total offense (4,946) in the regular season as, touchdowns responsible for (50), passer rating (208.0), yards per pass attempt (11.7) and rushing yards by a quarterback (1,134).

In comparison, Maye completed 269-of-his-425 (63.3%) pass attempts in the 2023 campaign for 3,608 yards, 24 TDs and nine picks. Despite his inferior statistics, Maye boasts speed and accuracy that is rare in a collegiate player.

Kiper doesn’t see comparison between the two players slowing down anytime soon.

“I tried to be ahead of the curve on [Daniels]. But then, all of a sudden, I see it and now I got Drake Maye still ahead of him by one spot. But in terms of that, that’s going to be fun to see how that plays out,” Kiper said.

https://www.on3.com/pro/news/mel-kiper-jr-details-how-jayden-daniels-is-challenging-drake-maye-in-draft-order/

• Like 1

Judging by the articles posted in here that last few weeks I think what kind of O you would want to run would be a bigger deciding factor on who to draft between Maye and Daniels rather than the difference in prospect quality. They don't seem to be that far apart in a lot of people eyes.

As of right now there does seem to be more analysts that favor Maye as the #2, but its not across the board, and you gotta expect Daniels stock to skyrocket at combine time. Based off what I have already read and where I expect it to go I can easily envision a world where a lot of teams would have Daniels at 2.

It will be interesting what HC/OC we pull down. That will help refine the choice.

Maye is an easy pick. He has everything you want in a long term franchise QB and is basically a lock to be at the very least a solid 10 year starter with potential for way more. 

Its weird that people were more hyped with the possibility of Chase Young in 2020 than a franchise QB like Maye.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maye is an easy pick. He has everything you want in a long term franchise QB and is basically a lock to be at the very least a solid 10 year starter with potential for way more. 

This is a bold statement, and I'm not being critical or skeptical. If our GM feels the same way then I guess it's an easy, no-brainer pick to make.`

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Judging by the articles posted in here that last few weeks I think what kind of O you would want to run would be a bigger deciding factor on who to draft between Maye and Daniels rather than the difference in prospect quality. They don't seem to be that far apart in a lot of people eyes.

Yeah, that could be true.  

However, let's say you're the 3rd team, you take Daniels and you structure the offense around him.

Look at the Ravens.  Are there 2 more polar opposite QBs from a style perspective than Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson?  No.  They played one way (and won) with Flacco.  They drafted Lamar.  They changed everything and played another way (and won) with Lamar. 

If you're lucky enough to have a choice, you choose the player you think has the bigger upside and the chance at the greater success.  Then you build around that player. We're in that position.  Which is phenomenal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Grant gets so much wrong these days, like failing to understand there are 32 teams in the NFL, let's deep dive this:

49ers: Purdy, Mr. Irrelevant

Packers: Love, 1st round, same team

Lions: Goff: 1st round, different team

Tampa: Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker: 1st Round, different team

KC: Mahomes: 1st Round, same team

Bills: Allen: 1st Round, same team

Ravens: Jackson: 1st Round, same team

Texans: Stroud: 1st Round, same team.

Shocker.  It looks like Grant got it right:

7 of the 8 have 1st round QBs, the only one that isn't is Purdy.

3 were drafted in the top 2: Goff, Stroud, Baker

5 were drafted in the top 10: the three that weren't are Purdy, Lamar and Love

6 on their original team: the 2 that aren't are Goff and Baker.  IRONIC: they are also the 2 first overall selections in their drafts.  

If we expand to the Wild Card teams, we get 6 more QBS:

Philly: Hurts, 2nd round, still with team

Dallas: Prescott, 4th round, still with team

LA Rams: Stafford, 1st round (#1 overall), different team

Pitt: Rudolf, 3rd round, still with team (though he shouldn't be starting)

Miami: Tua, 1st round, still with team

Browns: Flacco, 1st round, different team. ** This would be Watson normally.

So of the losing Wild Card teams:

3 of the 6 are first round picks with Hurts, Prescott and Rudolf as the three non-first rounders

1 of the 6 was drafted in the top 2, Stafford.

2 of the 6 were drafted in the top 10: Stafford and Tua.  Flacco was 18.  

4 of the 6 are on their original team, with Stafford and Flacco being the 2 who aren't.  IRONIC: Stafford was also the #1 overall not his original team. Also, he won a SB.  So did Flacco.  

I'm not entirely sure what Gran's overall point is here, except that if you get lucky in the draft on a QB you tend to win and make the playoffs.  Which is a "yeah duh" type of statement. But that is basically all Grant is good for is "yeah duh" type of lowest common denominator statements.  

• Like 1

I think the media overreacts way too soon to how young QB's look early in their careers.

Jalen Hurts is a great example.  He was on the verge of being ran out of town after his second season. Then puts up a great season last year and is suddenly the toast of the town and Eagles fans & the media act like they knew from the start he was going to be great, then we get to this season and the minute the roster around him isn't performing up to the level they were last season Hurts is back to looking like he did beforehand.   You got Purdy with a championship roster around him and he looks very good for a lot of the games, but a few times this season when they ran into defenses that could take the easy stuff away Purdy struggled and made mistakes.    I don't think it is abnormal for mid-tier QB's to put up great numbers and have random isolated great seasons, but the elite QB's do it every season despite the roster around them.  They elevate the players around them.  Someone showed Purdy's numbers compared to Jimmy G's while he was on those great 49ers teams and while Purdy's were a little better, they were virtually the same, yet no one would ever mistake Jimmy G for an elite QB.

I think when it comes to drafting a QB, the odds that you will end up with an elite Top 3-5 QB are tough because there are a lot of elements & intangibles about a player beyond their talent that you can't predict ahead of time.  First & foremost you want a QB you feel you can develop into one you can win with, and then the hope is that they continue to develop beyond that base level over their third, fourth (and beyond) seasons.   I don't want to draft a QB with a savior complex in mind.  Yes the QB is probably the most important position on the field, but I still am not drafting one with the hope that they single handedly drag the team across the finish line, because there are only a very small amount of QB's with that ability. 

When comparing Daniels and Maye , the age difference must count for something? If Maye were to play next year in college, I would expect him to look even better than he did this year.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean if Peters and the next HC both love Daniels I can live with that too.

For sure. But it’s way more likely to be one of Williams or Maye.

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

Oh man, you’re going to get NFLChick pretty upset with you here. 

She can take a ticket. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

For sure. But it’s way more likely to be one of Williams or Maye.

I think the chances for Williams are slim to none.

I just include him in my conversations for due diligence.

There is enough consensus out there for me that says he is QB1 that there is virtually no way he does not go first.

Maye or Daniels- this is what separates good scouting departments, front offices, and coaching staffs from others. It is going to be a critical decision. Only because we have a new owner do I hope we get it right. I guarantee that one of those two QBs ends up being not good.

I don't pretend to know. Haven't seen either one play.

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think the chances for Williams are slim to none.

I just include him in my conversations for due diligence.

There is enough consensus out there for me that says he is QB1 that there is virtually no way he does not go first.

I agree. Maye is odds on to be our QB next season.

• Like 1