Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

47 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

At this point, the question is do we devote resources to hunting for "the guy", or is Howell enough of a player that it can be punted for a year while trying to fix what we have just witnessed destroying "a guy's" chance to be "the guy"? I'll just trust that whoever it is that's picked as GM doesn't suck, but if it were my choice, I'd still need to see more failure from Sam and more certainty in our draft position for me to say that we need to gamble our first pick on a QB that can easily be broken as quickly as Howell has.

Punting on QB is never the move.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Punting on QB is never the move.  

If we draft a new QB, don't adequately improve the O-Line because we devoted our best resources to drafting a QB, and then break our QB for the 2nd year in a row because of the not-adequately improved O-Line, what advantage did we get by not punting on QB?

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If we draft a new QB, don't adequately improve the O-Line because we devoted our best resources to drafting a QB, and then break our QB for the 2nd year in a row because of the not-adequately improved O-Line, what advantage did we get by not punting on QB?

That should not be a problem with the amount of early picks and draft capital we have, not to mention new competent coaching. It really looks to be a strong oline class and as long as we keep sucking we should have a shot at one of the top 3 qbs without having to trade up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 2

I really really like Sam. But, if I was a new GM, I’m going after the best young QB I can find. Whether it be draft or free agency (I know there will be nothing in fa). The point is you get as many good qbs you can in the offseason and let them battle it out. If we end up with Howell and Jayden Daniels you let them battle it out and see who comes out on top. 

if Sam is that guy, he won’t mind the challenge and he will prove that he is the qb and vice versa. We definitely need a lot of other positions like o-line. I’m all about the fat boys, but you take who you believe is the best QB available this offseason and hope he pans out, especially with a new offensive coordinator coming in.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why in this scenario does it always play out that the O line isn’t improved? They can be mutually exclusive, we can improve at QB and O Line at the same time, if we take a QB they’re not then just gonna be playing behind the exact same O Line

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Why in this scenario does it always play out that the O line isn’t improved? They can be mutually exclusive, we can improve at QB and O Line at the same time, if we take a QB they’re not then just gonna be playing behind the exact same O Line

Yep. Just because you may not get Fashanu does not mean we can’t still improve the OL in a major way in FA and the draft

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Because we are in desperate need of an OT to replace Wylie, and Leno is deteriorating. We honestly need two OTs, and they aren't something you can easily find in free agency. They don't grow on trees, and to find a starting OT in the third round sounds truly unique.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dawand "Big Thanos" Jones has been magnificent this year, tho he did just get a season ending injury I believe.

Oh, Dawand changed his number. Too bad, I was getting my hopes up that maybe Geron didn't suck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Watching him bail the pocket with open WRs is a head scratcher. 

man it is ... he just bails so quick.  it was very very eye opening seeing the difference between him and brisset, and until i see evidence, i'm not going to buy rams let up against brisset.  i don't think they did based on the score. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Or, he might be damaged goods.

doesn't it seem like t his is the case? based off the last 4 games.  he's playing real real bad man and I'm afraid he's shell shocked. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There’s a world that exists between no accountability for any sacks and your our OL is average and they are all his fault narrative, and I think you know that.

No way we cut him...either trade him or keep him. Sam has value for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Because we are in desperate need of an OT to replace Wylie, and Leno is deteriorating. We honestly need two OTs, and they aren't something you can easily find in free agency. They don't grow on trees, and to find a starting OT in the third round sounds truly unique.

Im not disputing we need to improve at that position but do we really need a couple of elite tackles immediately into a rebuild?

Maximising the value of the impending high pick we have would be going for a QB if there is one we love, then working to improve around that person in the years to come, now I’m not advocating Wylie Leno bad, but I’m sure we can improve on that without getting studs through the door in the first year

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I don't see a new QB playing better than Howell next season.  Howell was as good as a young QB can be behind this awful line.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Im not disputing we need to improve at that position but do we really need a couple of elite tackles immediately into a rebuild?

Maximising the value of the impending high pick we have would be going for a QB if there is one we love, then working to improve around that person in the years to come, now I’m not advocating Wylie Leno bad, but I’m sure we can improve on that without getting studs through the door in the first year

If I could have another elite OT like Trent but actually manage to keep him onboard for the rest of his career, I'd do it in a heartbeat before gambling on a mid-round draft pick being able to start and contribute genuinely useful results on day one. Andrew Luck was a warning to me. You don't take chances on your QB's protection.

5 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I don't see a new QB playing better than Howell next season.  Howell was as good as a young QB can be behind this awful line.

I think a new QB could. But just how much better is unknown. I think a new 1st round pick would be day and night.

There are two specific things that unfolded over the past ~month to change the calculus at QB:

1) Sam has faltered - whether you want to say his progress has stalled or regressed

And

2) We're crept up into a top-5 and potentially top-3 draft pick

If either of those things don't happen, we are likely rolling with Sam for 2024. But since they both happened, the median outcome is now likely drafting a QB in the first round. With that in mind, if we win a game or two and slide in the draft order, we're probably back to building around Sam until he proves he's not the guy. But I think we're pretty much at the point where a top-5 pick means we're getting a QB unless the new regime is cold on all the top prospects coming out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Getting the QB in the building is half the battle.  

With 4 other picks in the top 100 and a ton of cap space, I'm not worried about their ability to improve the OL if they commit to doing it.  OL is not like QB, every draft produces a bunch of decent OL. Same can't be said for QB.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is what happens to every young QB that gets hit a bazillion times.  This or injury was coming full steam ahead.

The new GM will let us know if Sam is worthy of a mulligan due to the O line and EB's pass happy scheme.

I dont trust any rookies so I'm not excited about taking a QB with our first pick. We have plenty of other needs to address so using the 1st on a QB means we dont get one of the stud tackles and the new QB will get at least 2 years if not 3 even if they are terrible like the kid in Chicago.

I know Sam can make all the throws, he has the arm, he has the mobility but does he have the intelligence?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

There are two specific things that unfolded over the past ~month to change the calculus at QB:

1) Sam has faltered - whether you want to say his progress has stalled or regressed

And

2) We're crept up into a top-5 and potentially top-3 draft pick

If either of those things don't happen, we are likely rolling with Sam for 2024. But since they both happened, the median outcome is now likely drafting a QB in the first round. With that in mind, if we win a game or two and slide in the draft order, we're probably back to building around Sam until he proves he's not the guy. But I think we're pretty much at the point where a top-5 pick means we're getting a QB unless the new regime is cold on all the top prospects coming out.

I can only imagine how hard it gonna be for Howell if they win one of these and pick 8th or something instead of 3rd or 4th.  They'd have to pray Daniels drops to them or just bag QB altogether and stick with Howell.  Cuz Williams and Maye will be top 3, if not top 2.