Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Comparing him to Purdy was pretty lazy because the two don't have much in common besides both being late draft picks and one is having (so far) a lot more success than he should be so an assumption is being made its also possible with Howell.

This is an unfair comparison because this is an all-world throw from a HOF player, but stick with me: 

I will be looking for “these sorts” of difficult placement throws from Howell going forward, when I see video of him throwing (in practice or preseason). I’m seeing lots of highlights of sideline balls, deep balls, nice throw and catch type stuff—show me the throws he’s ripping over the middle, in the endzone, etc that require more touch and placement against an active defender. It’s possible due to the restrictions on filming that we just aren’t getting these clips—I’ve seen some tweets referring to Howell trying to throw guys open—but it’s what I’ll be looking for in preseason and any other highlight from camp that I see. 

He has a special arm according to some, I want to see it. That beautiful corner of the endzone lob to Robinson was a good start (but no defender), I’ll be keeping my eye out for more. These sorts of WOW throws will be my best indicator that we stumbled into a franchise-level steal. Unfair maybe but studs flash early, and the bar is high for him to be that miracle guy for us. 

For a comparison that’s sure to piss some people off, I’m seeing more throws like this from Daniel Jones out of Giants camp, and talk of his continued growth into a franchise passer. It could just be the limited types of videos we’re getting out of camp but my eyes are peeled for signs of whether Howell is potentially the guy or not. 

Edited by Conn
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

While I agree w/ the low ranking you don't gotta pick apart his physical abilities like that.

I like Howell's arm strength and his legs. He appears to be built pretty stocky too (Only eating chicky nuggys will do that I guess). I'd say he has more physical ability than most... He's just kinda short.

Don't gotta take away what he does have b/c of that tho.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, redskinss said:

Comparing him to Purdy was pretty lazy because the two don't have much in common besides both being late draft picks and one is having (so far) a lot more success than he should be so an assumption is being made its also possible with Howell.

I will add: You can also compare their height. About the same. But, Purdy played more games though. If Howell was put in after the bye we would be having a different conversion... at least more comparable conversion.

But if you were to look at just one game, only one game. The very first game the edge goes to Howell for the stats he put up with the OL we had and Turner not calling many pass plays because of it. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He's going to struggle. No doubt in my mind. Most good qb's do, early on. The thing for me, will be if the staff/ownership, and fanbase to a far lesser extent, show patience, while it's very likely that every other QB in the division will be throwing darts

You mean darts like these? :rofl89:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Exactly, you don't know if Howell will be throwing darts too. Actually, we did see him do exactly that against the Cowboys last season. Man that throw to Terry was so good. :)

Right now Dak has earned the right to being a safer bet then Howell and he needs to prove otherwise. 

This is in context to how inconsistent Dak is and Howell only played one game.

As happy as I was with his single performance, that was absolutely as bad as Dallas and Dak could possibly play. And their response was tearing a new asshole on folks all the way to the second round of the playoffs, somewhere we haven't been this century.

It's fair to say, and I am as well, we should look for specific types of throws in preseason that many are saying they either aren't seeing or aren't being shown. 

Me, I got both Dallas games circled for multiple reasons in sense I expect that first one to be them wanting to reintroduce themselves to who pretty much is a rookie QB after last time they saw him.  That finale is likely the game that decides if we get in the playoffs or not, so Sam has to at least split and show he can potentially do more.

I'm not gonna wanna hear about Howell's potential if Coinflip Dak sweeps us again this year. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=dak+prescott's+record+vs+washington+football+team

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He's going to struggle. No doubt in my mind. Most good qb's do, early on. The thing for me, will be if the staff/ownership, and fanbase to a far lesser extent, show patience, while it's very likely that every other QB in the division will be throwing darts

****, will the fan base...will Ron with his Job on the line?  Brisset ain't here to look pretty, thats for sure.

I so badly want this to work for Sam...I jus have to be honest with myself that if Brisset proves to be more consistent with Howell having more upside, I need some language to confirm whether priority is winning this year or developing Howell for the future.

I'm nervous AF at a slow start because I can see Ron benching Howell jus to save his job when the right thing to do would be leave him in to learn on the job for whoever is the next HC.  That could happen even if folks around midseason agree Howell is the penciled in future starter for 2024 plus Ron should be fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

****, will the fan base...will Ron with his Job on the line?  Brisset ain't here to look pretty, thats for sure.

I so badly want this to work for Sam...I jus have to be honest with myself that if Brisset proves to be more consistent with Howell having more upside, I need some language to confirm whether priority is winning this year or developing Howell for the future.

I'm nervous AF at a slow start because I can see Ron benching Howell jus to save his job when the right thing to do would be leave him in to learn on the job for whoever is the next HC.  That could happen even if folks around midseason agree Howell is the penciled in future starter for 2024 plus Ron should be fired.

I suppose it comes down to Ron and Harris having a sit down discussion with all cards on the table, to see if he's safe or not. Of course, none if that matters, potentially. Owners can change their mind on a whim.

I do know if things start rocky, we'll know pretty quickly where things stand on all of those fronts, given hiw they respond to it.

I think Sam is gonna be good. Real good. I just think it's debatable whether or not that will happen this year.

• Thumb up 1

Always felt the obvious comparison for Sam was Baker Mayfield.  Less of an arm, but better legs.  The personalities are very different, but the build/tools/style are very similar.

Bringing in Brissett was good team building, and not necessarily a sign they don't believe in Howell and are hedging against his failure.  This team lost it's starting QB early in the year to injury the past two seasons, and Howell is going to take a ton of hits this year.  Can't just throw in the towel on the season if he goes down when you have a defense like ours.  We need a credible back up.  If we didn't really intend to give Howell an honest shot at the job, we would have picked Hendon Hooker in the draft.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Always felt the obvious comparison for Sam was Baker Mayfield.  Less of an arm, but better legs.  The personalities are very different, but the build/tools/style are very similar.

Bringing in Brissett was good team building, and not necessarily a sign they don't believe in Howell and are hedging against his failure.  This team lost it's starting QB early in the year to injury the past two seasons, and Howell is going to take a ton of hits this year.  Can't just throw in the towel on the season if he goes down when you have a defense like ours.  We need a credible back up.  If we didn't really intend to give Howell an honest shot at the job, we would have picked Hendon Hooker in the draft.

Fully agree. Thrilled with Brissett being here to back up Howell. We are fortunate to have a one two punch. Wish we had an acceptable QB3 as well. 

Hooker was there for their taking and made the decision to move passed him, that was a tell tale sign they were looking to Howell.

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I suppose it comes down to Ron and Harris having a sit down discussion with all cards on the table, to see if he's safe or not. Of course, none if that matters, potentially. Owners can change their mind on a whim.

I do know if things start rocky, we'll know pretty quickly where things stand on all of those fronts, given hiw they respond to it.

I think Sam is gonna be good. Real good. I just think it's debatable whether or not that will happen this year.

It's definitely an interesting position they've put themselves in.  Ron is in a must-win season, and he's going with a rookie QB.  That usually doesn't happen, since you want a surefire QB to lead your team if you're a coach whose on the hot seat like Ron is.  It's kind of screwed up, because like you said, if we get off to another slow start under Ron, he's going to be feeling more pressure than ever to get it turned around in order to save his job.  I think that anything less than 10 wins and/or a playoff berth seals Ron's fate as an HC with this team.  He HAS to start off strong, and the team has to be in the playoff hunt the entire season.  If we get off to another 2-4 start, it's over for Ron.  What I fear, is that Ron might go back to that conservative approach of running the ball and time control, if Howell struggles.  I wonder how Ron's going to navigate Sam's peaks and valleys as a QB early on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

They also have beards. Which may not be a good thing. It's been 14 years since the last of the four bearded quarterbacks won their Super Bowls. Beards are harbingers of losing. (Looking at you, A.A.Ron.)

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

What I fear, is that Ron might go back to that conservative approach of running the ball and time control, if Howell struggles

This will depend on how the OL plays. They are a little better at run blocking than pass blocking. But, if Howell plays well regardless of the OL woes Ron could go to Harris and say give me one more year and a better OL and I can show you what I can do. It is definitely a do or die season for Ron. Howell is in a tough spot too. He has to shine to keep on playing in the NFL as a starter and for this team. 

Edited by zCommander

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

It's definitely an interesting position they've put themselves in.  Ron is in a must-win season, and he's going with a rookie QB.  That usually doesn't happen, since you want a surefire QB to lead your team if you're a coach whose on the hot seat like Ron is.  It's kind of screwed up, because like you said, if we get off to another slow start under Ron, he's going to be feeling more pressure than ever to get it turned around in order to save his job.  I think that anything less than 10 wins and/or a playoff berth seals Ron's fate as an HC with this team.  He HAS to start off strong, and the team has to be in the playoff hunt the entire season.  If we get off to another 2-4 start, it's over for Ron.  What I fear, is that Ron might go back to that conservative approach of running the ball and time control, if Howell struggles.  I wonder how Ron's going to navigate Sam's peaks and valleys as a QB early on.

We start 2-4 , Ron will be relieved  of everything . Josh will switch coaches in an attempt to spark something.  That rarely works but he will go with either experience in Jack or try with EB.