Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The reason I said it was slim is because it's always slim, and the math says the later you're picked, the slimmer it is.  

I can, off the top of my head, think of 2 QBs picked after the 4th round (or in one case not picked) who developed into top-end starters.  Both are in the HOF:

Brady (6th round)

Warner (undrafted)

I might be missing a few guys, and apologies to them.  But it's a short list.  If you want to add 3rd and 4th round picks, then Cousins, Dak and Wilson would be the recent QBs I can think of which have made it to be be legitimate starters.  Wilson probably being a HOFer, assuming he doesn't completely screw everything up in Denver.  

Nothing against Howell, it's just unlikely.  Guys are picked in the 5th round because the entire league passed on them 4 times.  Which means the entire league views them as a project at best.  Could the entire league be that wrong?  Sure.  It happens, just not very often.  

What you are saying is the norm. The other teams had other QBs on their board so got them based on what works for them and their offence. Since the draft was loaded with other important positions Howell value dropped.

Howell is a great fit for Turner's offence though. 

Ron and Turner would have gone for Howell if no Wentz with their 1st or 2nd pick. So when he was still on the board it was too good to be true for them. They could have passed him too thinking well other teams passed him but didn't.

On pro day I believe Howell was the most accurate passer. I want to see him this year slim or not.

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

And Jimmy G is only competent because of Kyle. Arguably the best Offensive mind of his generation 

Eh, maybe.  I think he's about what he is no matter what.  

And Kyle is good, but so is McVay.  And Reid might not be in their generation, but he's been the gold standard for several generations.  

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm sure by now everyone knows about the titans offensive coordinator getting a dui.

The scuttlebutt is that the league, during its investigation is going to want to know where he consumed the alcohol because it is against league rules to have alcohol on the plane.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't heinicke have a Busch light on the plane ride home Monday evening?

Is there any chance this blows back on us or are the articles talking about strict rules on team planes regarding alcohol not accurate?

So, disregard my last reply. Turns out it actually has been a league rule, no alcohol on flights. Rivera disciplined a handful of players on Tuesday, and reported that to the league, and the league is fine with the discipline 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I was at that game and looking back at it there was a lot of ugliness taking place that night that I am ashamed of that history seems to have conveniently forgotten.

Theisman was having a bad year, and to the best of my recollection, a particularly bad night prior to the injury.

We (at least the people in my section, if not the larger crowd) were booing him mercilessly and calling for Gibbs to put in the strong armed former baseball pitcher, Jay Schroeder, who we thought was another Bobby Beathard super sleeper.

When Joe first got tackled and went down, a good percentage of the stadium spontaneously cheered.

To my eternal dismay (in retrospect) I happened to be among them. We said things like get the bum outta there and even worse-- initially.

Note: WE HAD NO IDEA AT THE TIME HOW GRUESOME THE INJURY WAS. 

When Joe didn't immediately get back up and we saw the reaction of the players around him everyone in the entire stadium got deathly quiet. 

There was a pall over everything that I had never experienced at a live event before.

I personally felt (and honestly still feel) somewhat guilty for having wished even briefly, not for injury, but just a change at the qb position any way we could get it.

The worst part, in some ways, is what happened after they put Joe on the stretcher and began wheeling him off the field for what would be his final game.

If my memory is accurate, the very first play (while Theisman was still in the stadium about to go through the tunnel) was a perfectly thrown long bomb by young Jay Schroeder.

The stadium absolutely erupted (myself included) it was as if  it was "out with the old, in with the new"

I've often wondered what that must have felt like to Joe, as he was entering that dark tunnel in sheer agony, his football career, like his leg, completely shattered.

While the game just continued to go on without him, the fans love and adoration seemlessly transferred to there new golden haired hero.

CITR - I, also was at the game and it was pretty much the way you described it about the crowd. As we were waiting to see what had happen, we could hear people going "Oh My God!"  There were people in the stands with portable TV's (the ones that used 12+ "C" batteries) and people were watching the replays. There was a guy 4 rows up from us, so we got to see it on replay. My friends and I were in the corner where they took Joe out and I believe the bomb you are talking about was a little later in the game to Art monk (right toward the corner we were seated).

Several other things I remember about the game:

Joe Morris was unstoppable - 3 TD's

Skins recovered on-side kick 

Riggins fumbled twice

Crazy game

:229:The Rook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, The Rook said:

CITR - I, also was at the game and it was pretty much the way you described it about the crowd. As we were waiting to see what had happen, we could hear people going "Oh My God!"  There were people in the stands with portable TV's (the ones that used 12+ "C" batteries) and people were watching the replays. There was a guy 4 rows up from us, so we got to see it on replay. My friends and I were in the corner where they took Joe out and I believe the bomb you are talking about was a little later in the game to Art monk (right toward the corner we were seated).

Several other things I remember about the game:

Joe Morris was unstoppable - 3 TD's

Skins recovered on-side kick 

Riggins fumbled twice

Crazy game

:229:The Rook

My goodness Rook, you have an amazing memory for details!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So, disregard my last reply. Turns out it actually has been a league rule, no alcohol on flights. Rivera disciplined a handful of players on Tuesday, and reported that to the league, and the league is fine with the discipline 

I thought it was against league rules to provide players with alcohol.....but they can bring their own. Is that true or not?

11 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

I thought it was against league rules to provide players with alcohol.....but they can bring their own. Is that true or not?

This team is so ****ing lame. Busting balls because of a few beers after a big game is pathetic. These are grown ass men. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This team is so ****ing lame. Busting balls because of a few beers after a big game is pathetic. These are grown ass men. 

Generally speaking - yeah, a few beers on the flight home probably amounts to nothing.

But there is photographic evidence of Heinicke with a Busch Light, on the heels of the Titans coach getting trashed on the plane and getting a DUI.  For once, I was actually impressed that the team got out in front of something.  I’m sure the ‘punishment’ is minimal, but it was a good PR move for Rivera to get in front of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Generally speaking - yeah, a few beers on the flight home probably amounts to nothing.

But there is photographic evidence of Heinicke with a Busch Light, on the heels of the Titans coach getting trashed on the plane and getting a DUI.  For once, I was actually impressed that the team got out in front of something.  I’m sure the ‘punishment’ is minimal, but it was a good PR move for Rivera to get in front of it.

He was a passenger, not the pilot. On a private plane. It's ****ing lame. Can't even command a can of beer on your own plane without being reprimanded. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Isn't Rivera on the plane with them? Kind of hypocritical to not say anything while they are doing it, and then dime them out after the fact. Kind of a punk move actually IMHO. I believe the league rule is the NFL cant supply the booze. Most teams including the Titans provide drivers for inebriated players and staff.  Downing was an idiot for drunk driving in the first place but what moron does it at 3:40am. Only two things on the road after midnight....drunks and cops. 

This is precisely what many of us have been saying for weeks-- holding onto our 2nd round pick has to be a major team priority.

Thankfully, Heinicke's gritty play of late and Wentz's serendipitous injury seem to have dove tailed perfectly with our best long term interest.

Carson Wentz trade gives Commanders incentive to start Taylor Heinicke at least two more games

Taylor Heinicke will remain the Commanders’ starting quarterback for at least one more game. The terms of the Commanders’ trade with the Colts give the Commanders a strong incentive to keep Heinicke under center for at least two more games.

If Wentz plays at least 70 percent of the Commanders’ offensive snaps this season, the Commanders have to send a second-round draft pick to the Colts. If Wentz plays less than 70 percent of snaps, the Commanders send the Colts a third-round pick.

Sunday’s game will be the fifth that Wentz has missed, and five games is 29 percent of a 17-game season. So if Wentz were to return to the starting lineup after Sunday’s game, Wentz would likely finish with just over 70 percent of the snaps, and the Commanders would have to send the Colts a second-round pick.

If Heinicke starts just once more beyond Sunday, that should push Wentz under the 70 percent threshold, and the Commanders would only have to give the Colts a third-round pick.

It’s possible that none of this will matter, as Wentz may not get cleared to return from his broken finger next week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/19/carson-wentz-trade-gives-commanders-incentive-to-start-taylor-heinicke-at-least-two-more-games/amp/

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I personally thought nothing of it when I saw the photo.  Just saying what the perception could be, not what I personally think.

I saw something about it on FB today making fun of us. I follow a lot of Philly social media and they've been priding themselves on crushing beers everywhere this entire season. And not just the eagles.

To the point that I thought when I first saw Heini with a beer, I thought it more of his retarded antics like copying what Kurt Cousins did the week before. I thought he was copying the Eagles. 

It's dumber than his sneaker BS, which I guarantee his sister and her couch aren't amused by his spending. He's about as careful with his money as he is any pass over 15 yards.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I saw something about it on FB today making fun of us. I follow a lot of Philly social media and they've been priding themselves on crushing beers everywhere this entire season. And not just the eagles.

To the point that I thought when I first saw Heini with a beer, I thought it more of his retarded antics like copying what Kurt Cousins did the week before. I thought he was copying the Eagles. 

It's dumber than his sneaker BS, which I guarantee his sister and her couch aren't amused by his spending. He's about as careful with his money as he is any pass over 15 yards.

You’re calling a guy out for buying a pair of shoes each time he gets a 125k bonus?  To each their own I guess 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Carson holds the ball and looked afraid/shook against the Eagles. TH had every reason to similarly break after the strip sack.......

That’s one of the things you get with Heinicke. Guy doesn’t break mentally. He makes bad plays, bad passes, good passes, good plays, bad reads, good reads, good scrambles, bad scrambles… but that is how he plays all the time. 

No moment is too big or too small for him. He’s him. And that is an advantage. I like him on our team more than Wentz so far. So if we have to keep two QBs from this roster going into next season it’s an easy pick for me.

I’ve never disliked Heinicke’s mentality and attitude. And he seems like a good dude. Still hope we upgrade QB (and I kind of hope that upgrade is Sam Howell)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

One of the whackest posts I’ve ever read on here. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1