Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Noone will want Wentz in a trade. He might get straight up cut if anything but I think the Colts end up ultimately deciding to run him back for one more year because there are no discernibly better options and they don't have a first rounder anyway.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Noone will want Wentz in a trade. He might get straight up cut if anything but I think the Colts end up ultimately deciding to run him back for one more year because there are no discernibly better options and they don't have a first rounder anyway.

I think they will run it back there no one they can get that is better.

Edited by Redskins 2021

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They'll have to decide if the headaches he brings from a personality perspective will be worth it. IMO the only way you hold on to a guy like that is if he's a great QB and you truly believe you can win a Super Bowl with him, otherwise you cut bait. I don't think Wentz is worth it; he's not going to take them to a SB.

I think this is how I view things as of today.

I'm less disgusted by the idea of keeping Taylor Heinike as a starter as most. I think he's a starter. The problem is he's a bottom-third starter (say 25 or so) and so you need an awful lot to go right to win with him. Still, in a season where everything went wrong including every member of our defense regressing, we were one pandemic plague village away from making the playoffs with him.

Heinike is my plan C.

My plan A would be getting a star QB and by that I probably mean Wilson or Carr. I actually don't want Rodgers. He's great, but he's a diva and a pain. Besides, do we really want to trade ten number one picks and watch Rodgers retire in 2023?

My plan B is drafting a QB in the first round we love. I don't know who the front office loves, but if they love someone get him.

My plan D is Tribusky, Marriota, or Jimmy Garropola. I just figure any of those three will basically give us what we got out of Alex Smith, Mark Brunnell or Brad Johnson and while that's pretty good... ultimately, it's a pretty good that sets you back to ground zero with maybe a first round playoff exit to brag about. Not good enough for the cost.

My Plan F would be Wentz (unless he's a vet minimum flier that costs zero draft picks) or Watson.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

I think Chris Ballard & Co are buying time till the FA market hits and wouldn't surprise me if they don't look hard at bringing in a Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky or Marcus Mariota ....and if they can then deal Wentz hoping to get someone to bite or just outright release him then come draft day move into the 1st to grab 1 of the 5 QB's....more then likely a Corral or Howell type should they be able to swing a deal.....there is clearly something brewing in Indy w/this situation and it's not just Ballard I bet Irsay isn't all to happy either w/Wentz...but wow they gave up alot last season to get him just to release him...time will tell

Edited by ashlynskins

Washington Commanders general manager Martin Mayhew on Wednesday acknowledged the obvious -- the franchise is looking everywhere for a quarterback.

"We feel we have canvassed the league effectively," Mayhew told reporters at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "We've spoken to every club that has a quarterback who might be available."

That means they've inquired about quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers, among others. Both likely remain longshots to be traded, which means Washington would have to move on to other options.

"Every time you hear something, you're checking into it," Washington coach Ron Rivera told reporters Tuesday. "And so we've got to do our work. We've got to do our due diligence."

Mayhew said that while they consider Heinicke to be "the ultimate competitor," they're trying to upgrade. The franchise has started 32 quarterbacks since it last won the Super Bowl following the 1991 season; it has started eight in the past three seasons.

One source told ESPN that the Commanders had compiled an initial lengthy list of around 40 quarterbacks to at least discuss or investigate, including those in college.

Said Mayhew: "There aren't three dozen upgrades to what we have. There are numerous options available to us and we're trying to work through that now."

The San Francisco 49ers have made it known that Jimmy Garoppolo is available in a trade. Washington also will strongly consider the free agent market, where they could sign Mitchell Trubisky or Teddy Bridgewater and possibly pair them with a second- or third-round quarterback.

"It is very challenging," Rivera said of finding a franchise quarterback. "I was very fortunate in Carolina. We found our franchise quarterback [Cam Newton] right away. We drafted him. ... When you get that guy, it makes things a lot easier. Not having that guy has really put the onus on us."

Washington tried to trade for Matthew Stafford last offseason, offering a first- and third-round pick to the Detroit Lions, who instead dealt him to the Los Angeles Rams for two first-round picks, a third-round selection and quarterback Jared Goff.

"If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you have to have urgency about [finding one] every year," Mayhew said. "We were very urgent about it last year. I'm not sure that was a fair fight for Matthew last year, I'll leave it there. We did everything we could to find the right guy."

Lions general manager Brad Holmes had spent the previous eight seasons with the Rams.

...Mayhew and Rivera both talked about the importance of the offseason interviews with potential draft picks, both to ascertain their football intelligence and their maturity level. In an ideal world, Rivera said, they find someone who is a pure passer as well as athletic.

"If you can find a guy that can do both," he said, "you're very fortunate."

Edited by Skinsinparadise

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed no trade partners will appear.

At this point I can't see them being able to start him, can they even keep him with some of the comments from the FO and coaches? 

33 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think this is how I view things as of today.

I'm less disgusted by the idea of keeping Taylor Heinike as a starter as most. I think he's a starter. The problem is he's a bottom-third starter (say 25 or so) and so you need an awful lot to go right to win with him. Still, in a season where everything went wrong including every member of our defense regressing, we were one pandemic plague village away from making the playoffs with him.

Heinike is my plan C.

My plan A would be getting a star QB and by that I probably mean Wilson or Carr. I actually don't want Rodgers. He's great, but he's a diva and a pain. Besides, do we really want to trade ten number one picks and watch Rodgers retire in 2023?

My plan B is drafting a QB in the first round we love. I don't know who the front office loves, but if they love someone get him.

My plan D is Tribusky, Marriota, or Jimmy Garropola. I just figure any of those three will basically give us what we got out of Alex Smith, Mark Brunnell or Brad Johnson and while that's pretty good... ultimately, it's a pretty good that sets you back to ground zero with maybe a first round playoff exit to brag about. Not good enough for the cost.

My Plan F would be Wentz (unless he's a vet minimum flier that costs zero draft picks) or Watson.

I assume Plan E is Josh Johnson? 😏

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

If we signed Trubisky which I think we will and draft a QB it makes the most sense.  However, I'd rather have Mariota but seems like RR and Co. are targeting MT.

• Like 1

Willis scares me he did not play at auburn because he did not study play book. He has all the ability in the world  but sounds like he not is not big into the preparation with film and play book.  He reminds me of Cardale Jones a little bit.

Was his success at Liberty because he changed his ways at Liberty or was hen just better then everyone there. He will not be able to just runover people on NFL. If he does not make it as a starting Qb could be a good gadget player. He could be total hit or bust.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed no trade partners will appear.

At this point I can't see them being able to start him, can they even keep him with some of the comments from the FO and coaches? 

Who would they get? I think they are stuck with him next yera. They could trade him for Mayfield maybe?

Edited by Redskins 2021

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we signed Trubisky which I think we will and draft a QB it makes the most sense.  However, I'd rather have Mariota but seems like RR and Co. are targeting MT.

Will see.  I am hoping the Giants supposedly balking at taking on Daniel Jones 5th year as to his contract -- is a sign that they want to sign Trubisky.  IMO Trubisky is Daniel Jones more or less but i'd love to watch the Giants likely find that out for themselves. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

*didnt mean to quote my own post 

5qV.gif

41 minutes ago, MrJL said:

So, a bit off topic but this is the place to talk QB. Does it feel like top QBs are aging out quicker than they're being replaced?

It's definitely a changing of the guard. We've lost Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brady and Brees to retirement recently.  Fitzy is going to retire. Rodgers is close to the end.  

Going to be a new era of QBs. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

They'll have to decide if the headaches he brings from a personality perspective will be worth it. IMO the only way you hold on to a guy like that is if he's a great QB and you truly believe you can win a Super Bowl with him, otherwise you cut bait. I don't think Wentz is worth it; he's not going to take them to a SB.

They’re also doing a great job of publicly nuking the relationship.  Which is very odd. 

• Like 2

Feel better, @ExoDus84? 😑 that didn’t even deserve a thumbs down, but whatever…………. I get it if it was a post that deserved one, but come the **** on……just pointless. Not to mention i quit doing that over the past month. The need for people to get back at me can end, thanks. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

I can’t muster the energy to discuss any about this team if they’re trotting out a Trubisky or Heinicke and especially if there is no rookie to go with them. 

Like are we really gonna spend hours debating Jamin Davis and Cam Sims and ancillary issues like that? I just don’t care. Will the defense bounce back? Who cares? If they do, maybe they squeak it to the wildcard round and get sacrificed by a 1 seed. Until the QB is (seemingly) solved, all of the other stuff seems like a big waste of time. Especially when we’ve watched the movie 30+ times at this point. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MrJL said:

So, a bit off topic but this is the place to talk QB. Does it feel like top QBs are aging out quicker than they're being replaced?

I don’t think so.

For a good number of years you had Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rothlisburger, Brees and Rivers as the consensus top QBs.  You’d get a few here or there who would pop in with a good season, but really wouldn’t stick.  

Then Luck, Wilson and Newton got added for periods of time.  (Wilson still is in his prime). The other two are not.

So now that gang of the original 6 only has one guy left: Rodgers. Wilson is also there.  The rest have moved in.  

But you now have Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Kylie Murray, Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow as young superstars.  

Mahomes and Allie. Could easily turn into Brady/Manning.  

There are also a bunch of 30-something 8-15 level QBs who are banging around:  Carr, Kurt, Stafford, Tannehill, Garopolo, Dak (he’s a bit younger but. It by much), etc.  

I do think there’s a sense there are fewer good QBs out there because a lot of the old guard all retires at similar times.  

Also, in the last 4 or 5 years, we’ve seen some whiffs with high draft picks, or high draft picks in the last few years who havtb developed yet:

Goff, Mitch, Tua, Lawrence, Darnold, Rosen.. probably a few more I’m forgetting.

And you have the Watson situation which has taken another young superstar QB off the table for now.

i think in a year or two, it will feel like the guard has fully been changed.  But we’re kindof still going through the end of it with Rodgers still hanging on.  And who knows what Brady is going to do. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I don't see the point of signing Turbisky or Mariota since Taylor has better completion rate than both. Heinicke is also cheap. Draft a QB at 11. Start the QB. You ride the season with the rookie as much as possible and if the rookie doesn't check all your boxes then you go get yourself another QB in 2023. Taylor is still the better backup/starting QB than the two you mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

What is the point of Mitch Trubisky or Mariota ? To win one more game? And then be further away from a potential savior QB next offseason? 

what is the point of any of this any more? Lol. 

franchise is literally dead. Rebrand was uninspiring at best. You’re looking to build your next stadium in bum **** Virginia (no offense). You’re so desperate for new season ticket holders that you’re parading them on social media like they just cured covid. And who is under center for the first snap of Commanders football? Mitch ****ing Trubisky???! 

What is the point ?

Im ranting at this point so i apologize but I’m listening to Mayhew’s PC and the media (doing their jobs of course) are asking multiple questions about Landon ****ing Collins’ contract. A glorified linebacker with zero coverage ability. He’ll have minimal impact on wins and losses whether he plays here or not. I get it is Mayhew’s job to care but in the grand scheme, wtf cares? QB is literally all that matters. You can nail the Collins thing perfectly and it will have no bearing on how your career in DC turns out. Im not criticizing the FO for this of course but I just personally can’t shake how inconsequential all the other roster decisions are in comparison to the QB. And I can’t understand how ppl can sit here and still debate that stuff 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 2

@Burgold I’m not far off from your thinking.  I see two wrenches in there though - 1st being if they don’t love a guy in the draft.  Then, say they like Pickett enough to take at 11, but not enough to trade up for him and then he ends up going before their pick.  Now you’re left reaching for a guy, hoping for a trade back or that a guy you like slips to the 2nd, or you have to trade up from 43 for a guy you don’t love.  

The 2nd is that with FA coming before the draft, if you don’t sign a FA and then the draft doesn’t work out, you’re left with just Heinicke, and it looks like a major failure.  For all of my defending Heinicke from the standpoint that I see him as the FO does - a capable backup and low end starter - failing to upgrade and striking out on bringing in legitimate competition would be such a bad look and doesn’t move the team forward.

So for me, I’d try to sign Mariota (with Trubisky/Bridgewater/etc as the backup plan), then look to the draft.  Worst case you have a competition between Heinicke and another vet.  Best case, you land a qb in the draft that wins the starting job and you have a year with a solid backup situation.

I’ll add that one thing I like about drafting a qb after a trade back, a trade up from the 2nd, or with our 2nd outright (versus at 11) is that it makes it easier/more palatable/etc to turn around and draft a qb in the 1st next year.

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I can’t muster the energy to discuss any about this team if they’re trotting out a Trubisky or Heinicke and especially if there is no rookie to go with them. 

Like are we really gonna spend hours debating Jamin Davis and Cam Sims and ancillary issues like that? I just don’t care. Will the defense bounce back? Who cares? If they do, maybe they squeak it to the wildcard round and get sacrificed by a 1 seed. Until the QB is (seemingly) solved, all of the other stuff seems like a big waste of time. Especially when we’ve watched the movie 30+ times at this point. 

I mean, they are DESPERATELY trying to solve it.  It’s just that the problem might not have a solution this year.  So they might have to do the best they can and then try again next year.

39 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I don't see the point of signing Turbisky or Mariota since Taylor has better completion rate than both. Heinicke is also cheap. Draft a QB at 11. Start the QB. You ride the season with the rookie as much as possible and if the rookie doesn't check all your boxes then you go get yourself another QB in 2023. Taylor is still the better backup/starting QB than the two you mentioned. 

They’re both have NFL starter talent  and TH does not.

Its just that simple. 

Ron even forgot about him in his presser today. Said there were 3 avenues to get a QB, then corrected himself because he’s been toting the 4 avenue line.

TH is not in their plans to play.  Maybe as a backup due to injury.  But that’s it.  They will try virtually anybody rather than trotting TH out again.  Which should tell you what they think of him. They like him as a backup or third string and that’s it.

• Like 1