Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Do you think we should trade for Jimmy G?  I don't know how many million it would cost but please come back with what you think is good vs. bad.  :) 

Nothing to worry about, its just opinion on my end.  Like many say evaluating the QB spot hasn't been cracked by anyone yet in the NFL, so I am not pretending i am the first dude to crack it.  :ols:

I could end up dead wrong.  But to breakdown what I agree and don't agree with in your post...

34 minutes ago, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise The first tweet I like and hope we end up with Pickett verses trade anything or for that matter even sign Jimmy G even a 7th rounder.  This is not going off on you, but we'd have to take on millions of dollars for a year when it can be vested in a FA MLB, FS, etc...  RR makes the final calls.  If he goes with trading anything for Jimmy G or Wentz, to me it's a failure when we can improve our team at the other holes we have.  RR should know better.  To me, Winston is better than Jimmy G or Wentz. He starting coming on last year before he got hurt and would be cheaper and Mariota would be better too. :)  

I am ok with taking Pickett.   He's not my favorite QB in this class, he's my 4th favorite, but I can get into it in part because I love his personality-intangibles.  But he's not my Plan A whether its in the draft and he's not certainly not what I'd prefer over trades -- if its for an A list type. 

I am with you in not liking trading for Jimmy G.  I wouldn't jump off the bridge where I'd hate a trade if its for a third rounder or so but I still wouldn't like it.  

Carson Wentz IMO is more talented than Jimmy G and Winston and I don't think its that close, the issue with him is his VERY weird/sensitive personality.    

As much as i don't want to trade for Jimmy G I think he's a clear peg better than Winston.

I like Mariota as a cheapish FA and I'd take him over Trubisky by a clear peg but I don't think he's better than Wentz purely as a player.  But again the wildcard about Wentz and granted its a big wildcard is his personality.   So I'd take Mariota over Wentz but that's because of the personality dynamic.  But its a close call for me.  Again, this us debating though the best of the bad lot of unattractive scenarios. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interesting.  Keim heard the opposite, saying he heard Watson was a hard no about coming here but that was awhile ago.  If I recall to add a twist, Watson's agent is the same agent who represented Haskins who fired some tweets back and forth when Haskins was benched and basically took a shot at Rivera in that process.  I know he later on dumped Haskins as a client so maybe the agent's relationship with the team is in a good place now, don't know. 

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Just isn't going to happen, at least not this year or maybe never.  He has a long waiting list of trials, and you can forget about the 2022 season, I think.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nothing to worry about, its just opinion on my end.  Like many say the evaluating QB spot hasn't been cracked by anyone yet, so I am not pretending i am the first dude to crack it.  :ols:

I could end up dead wrong.  But to breakdown what I agree and don't agree with in your post...

I am ok with taking Pickett.   He's not my favorite QB in this class, he's my 4th favorite, but I can get into it in part because I love his personality-intangibles.  But he's not my Plan A whether its in the draft and he's not certainly not what I'd prefer over trades -- if its for an A list type. 

I am with you in not liking trading for Jimmy G.  I wouldn't jump off the bridge where I'd hate a trade if its for a third rounder or so but I still wouldn't like it.  

Carson Wentz IMO is more talented than Jimmy G and Winston and I don't think its that close, the issue with him is his VERY weird/sensitive personality.    

As much as i don't want to trade for Jimmy G I think he's a clear peg better than Winston.

I like Mariota as cheapish FA and I'd take him over Trubisky by a clear peg but I don't think he's better than Wentz purely as a player.  But again the wildcard about Wentz and granted its a big wildcard is his personality.   So I'd take Mariota over Wentz but that's because of the personality dynamic.  But its a close call for me.  Again, this us debating though the best of the bad lot of unattractive scenarios. 

I know you like Corral and I do too.  If we drafted Corral at #11, I'd be happy.  I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't want Jimmy G. or Wentz on our team, even if they are UFA.  JMO.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just isn't going to happen, at least not this year or maybe never.  He has a long waiting list of trials, and you can forget about the 2022 season, I think.  

Sounds like Watson and Dan would have some fun out on the town together if Watson did come here? Based on the allegations against both of them anyway.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I know you like Corral and I do too.  If we drafted Corral at #11, I'd be happy.  I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't want Jimmy G. or Wentz on our team, even if they are UFA.  JMO.  :) 

Corral though isn't my Plan A.  I'd take Carr, Mayfield, Wilson over him and its not even close.    if its the draft, I'd go:  Corral, Willis, Howell, Pickett as my top 4 and there isn't a huge gap between one player to the next. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Sounds like Watson and Dan would have some fun out on the town together if Watson did come here? Based on the allegations against both of them anyway.

I really don't want to respond to such things.  Sad situations for both of them.  Prayers needed.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure.  Corral isn't my Plan A either.  I'd take Carr, Mayfield, Wilson over him and its not even close.    if its the draft, I'd go:  Corral, Willis, Howell, Pickett as my top 4 and there isn't a huge gap between one player to the next. 

Oh yea.  Definitely Plan A.  I should have been more specific and stated if we drafted at #11.  I got Pickett (if hands are not an issue, if we can truly find out, LOL), Corral, Howell, Willis.

• Thanks 1

Heard it stated on multiple podcasts that at least this team is "lucky" to be the NFC rather than the AFC which is stacked with young QB talent. Don't necessarily need "elite" QB play in the NFC to make it to playoffs and beyond. That's not an excuse to accept a Jimmy G trade (although I wouldn't hold my nose if it was 3rd or lower round pick) but it does make a difference. I'm currently on board with either trading multiple picks for top 10 Veteran QB or go with favorite first round rookie paired with favorite low end FA.

Edited by actorguy1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Wentz is a huuuuuge risk. Looking at him from the outside, the Eagles gave him a huge extension then drafted a QB (Hurts) in the 2nd round the same year and traded Wentz soon after because of his attitude. Less than 1 year later the Colts are moving on and are willing to eat 15 mil to get rid of him. That's some pretty strong evidence that we should steer far away from Carson Wentz. If Frank Reich, a former NFL QB and SB winning offensive coordinater, with Wentz, wants to move on from CW then the entire league should take notice. 

REPEAT, THE COLTS ARE WILLING TO EAT 15 MILLION AND RELEASE THIS GUY RATHER THAN KEEP HIM AND THEY PAID A 1ST ROUND PICK TO GET HIM. 

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!

I don't disagree, but Wentz costs essentially nothing. If he gets cut and you sign him then you're just out the money to sign him. If you somehow decide to trade for him, he won't cost more than a very minimal pick. He's not the answer, but he is better than what's here. It doesn't make much sense to pay good assets for Jimmy G to realize he sucks, will get hurt, and will need to be replaced in a year. While I'd take Jimmy G over Wentz in a vacuum, if Jimmy G costs a 2nd rounder and Wentz is essentially free then I take Wentz and look for the real answer elsewhere.

• Like 1

The truth is Houston wants to move Watson. Someone just has to be willing to take on the legal issues. He either gets dealt for a discount prior to that or he doesn’t get dealt until post-draft when multiple teams will remove themselves via their own off season moves. 

Of course Houston wants to move him sooner rather than later and this could be that similar smoke that was generated by their FO last year. Have a hard time seeing it given the current state of the franchise but he’s the cream of the crop of options. The best of the vets outside of Rodgers and plenty of career left ahead of him. 

Throw them Payne, #11, #42 and a 2023 1st and get it over with. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Corral though isn't my Plan A.  I'd take Carr, Mayfield, Wilson over him and its not even close.    if its the draft, I'd go:  Corral, Willis, Howell, Pickett as my top 4 and there isn't a huge gap between one player to the next. 

SIP, has Keim or any beat reporter that's reliable mentioned us being interested in Mayfield?  Have you heard his name mentioned?

On 2/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Koolblue13 said:

You're probably right, but they'll have dynasties again and the sport will continue to devolve as they gear towards the common fans.

You'll end up with a couple of good games every couple weeks and then a bunch of bad teams playing each other. If people liked blow outs, they'd watch more college ball.

You said they’ll have dynasties again.

Sounded to me like you were implying there was a time with no dynasties.

There’s always dynasties and will always be dynasties of varying length. There will always be teams that continually reside at the bottom . Then there’s that bunch that hovers in the middle, the parity.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

On 2/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, skins4ever28 said:

Reading through the last 20 pages, I cannot believe some of you are high on Winston(LOL), or Garropolo for that matter. You all don’t learn from the last do you ?

Secondly, to the people saying “we are more then a qb away,” the Bengals have proved that’s a buncha bs. Get the qb, you get a chance. Without Rodgers that packers team is 3-14, without Josh Allen, Bills are 5-12. You need a QB, period

I would throw 3 1st round picks at Watson in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. But only if the legal issues are settled

Haha! Some truly terrible QBs have been floated in this thread as people we should seriously go after. I think a lot of fans are starting to come to the realization that (myself included) that we're not going to be getting a world beater QB to come here. However, I think going after Wentz is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. I would much rather go with a Jimmy G or Trubisky. I don't know what any of you saw in Wentz last year that would make you want him to come here, but find someone else.

I think Houston paid Watson his 2021 salary so they or someone else are likely on the hook for his 35mil guaranteed salary in 2022.

Im now against trading away players. Rivera has justified not upgrading at QB by building up the wider roster. To weaken that to get a QB is counter productive.

Maybe the Watson trade requires out of the box thinking. Trade for him, take on his contract and legal issues, but don’t include 2022 picks.

Offer conditional 2023 and 2024 first and second rounders, maybe other picks, that become guaranteed picks for the Texans if/when Watson is fully cleared and playing. 

I don’t see how we or any other team can trade away a key player and multiple picks from the 2022 draft when the outcome of Watsons issues are far from being resolved.

Offer a ton of future conditional picks, see how badly the Texans want him moved.

I think they take that kind of offer to move forward. 

edit - and looking at the contract details, he has 37mil of money for 2023 that fully guarantees on the 20th March this year.

Unless Watson is under sanctions from the league, the Texans are on the hook for that. I’d say they are desperate to move him on now.

Edited by Est.1974

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

SIP, has Keim or any beat reporter that's reliable mentioned us being interested in Mayfield?  Have you heard his name mentioned?

Don't recall any mention of Mayfield.

Reading some Cleveland media stuff, seems like the narrative on Mayfield is...

A.  He likely isn't traded

B.  Might be traded though in a swap for a better QB

C.  They might reconsider if blown away by a trade offer

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The truth is Houston wants to move Watson. Someone just has to be willing to take on the legal issues. He either gets dealt for a discount prior to that or he doesn’t get dealt until post-draft when multiple teams will remove themselves via their own off season moves. 

Of course Houston wants to move him sooner rather than later and this could be that similar smoke that was generated by their FO last year. Have a hard time seeing it given the current state of the franchise but he’s the cream of the crop of options. The best of the vets outside of Rodgers and plenty of career left ahead of him. 

Throw them Payne, #11, #42 and a 2023 1st and get it over with. 

That’s entirely too much to give up for a guy who many never play another down in the NFL. Some of you are wild in here :ols: