Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I’m angry that fans could easily see what would have happened years ago but Ron and Co couldn’t or wouldn’t. I’ve never rooted harder for a loss than I did in that eagles game because this exact scenario would play out

Absolutely.  I told my son that if we win this game, it'll be at least another 3-5 years before we are in a real position to contend.  Winning a crap division and knowing we didn't stand a chance in the playoffs to go all the way and knowing it'd take us out of position to get a real, true QB prospect wasn't worth it to me in the least.  

And...here we are.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Oh, I think you're selling Joe short.  It was an entirely different offense, in a different era, and Theismann was the NFL MVP in 1983.  Defenses could mug receivers down the field, he didn't play in the WCO, and most of his pass attempts were deep shots off of the running game.  

You're probably right, Russ probably is better, but I dunno, I think it's close. 

I mean, if we say Russ would be the best QB of our lifetimes, then he's no worse than the 3rd best QB in franchise history, with Sonny and Sammy Baugh as the other 2 possible candidates.  Take Baugh out of the discussion, the game was entirely different.  

Russ would be the best QB since Sonny? Btw, Sonny never won a playoff game....  Does he walk in as the best QB of the SB era in team history?  

Really would depend on how Russ played when he got here. McNabb had a great career and sucked for us. Until someone puts up better numbers than Theisman, Sonny, Sammy and Ryp they are the best the franchise has ever had. Wilson would need to produce and win to get into the conversation despite how good his career has been. 

I would love to see us get Wilson just because it's been 10 years since we've seen a dynamic QB here (RGlll). What would it be like to root for a team that has a star QB? Many here haven't been able to do that. 

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

From:  WalterFootball.com: 2022 NFL Free Agents - Quarterbacks

Choose who you will want to be your QB IF we go the FA route and none of the QB under contract minus JG are available for trade.  Who do you want?

Jameis Winston, QB, Saints. Age: 28. 
Jameis Winston failed to complete 60 percent of his passes in 2021, but he was surprisingly careful with the football. He threw 14 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Broncos. Age: 29. 

Teddy Bridgewater is a capable starting quarterback, capable of taking a team to the playoffs if everything around him is right. Bridgewater becomes a liability if things fall apart around him, however.

Marcus Mariota, QB, Raiders. Age: 28. 

I'd like to say that Marcus Mariota is a young quarterback with potential despite his final years in Tennessee, but he turns 29 just before Halloween.

Mitchell Trubisky, QB, Bills. Age: 28. 

Mitchell Trubisky never got a fair chance in Chicago because of Matt Nagy's incompetence. He's talented, so perhaps a better coaching staff can turn him into a viable quarterback.

Jacoby Brissett, QB, Dolphins. Age: 29. 

Jacoby Brissett was considered one of the top backup quarterbacks in the NFL heading into 2021. Perhaps that's still the case, but Brissett struggled in relief of Tua Tagovailoa, maintaining a poor 5.7 YPA. That said, the horrendous offensive line played a part.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Redskins. Age: 39. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't even play a half of football in 2021, suffering a season-ending hip injury. Perhaps he'll get another chance to start in 2022, but at 39, the end is near.

Geno Smith, QB, Seahawks. Age: 31. 

Geno Smith is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL. He complated 68 percent of his passes and threw five touchdowns compared to one interception in relief of Russell Wilson.

Colt McCoy, QB, Cardinals. Age: 35. 
Colt McCoy proved to be one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL last year, winning multiple games against quality competition.

Andy Dalton, QB, Bears. Age: 34. 
Josh Johnson, QB, Ravens. Age: 36. 
Nick Mullens, QB, Browns. Age: 27. 
Tyrod Taylor, QB, Texans. Age: 33. 
Joe Flacco, QB, Jets. Age: 37. 
Tim Boyle, QB, Lions. Age: 27. 
Brandon Allen, QB, Bengals. Age: 29. 
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 32. 
Chad Henne, QB, Chiefs. Age: 37. 
Cam Newton, QB, Panthers. Age: 33. 
Chase Daniel, QB, Chargers. Age: 35. 
Mike Glennon, QB, Giants. Age: 32. 
Joshua Dobbs, QB, Steelers. Age: 27. 
Sean Mannion, QB, Vikings. Age: 30. 
A.J. McCarron, QB, Falcons. Age: 31. 
Garrett Gilbert, QB, Redskins. Age: 31. 

Man...just close your eyes and point.  Every single one of these guys gets us to exactly the same place by the end of the season: Nowhere.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He'll look at HIS history and think he can get the guy he wants.  And he won't be wrong.

The only thing is, I think his reputation HAS taken a hit these last few years with the sexual harassments stuff, and that could effect his win-rate.

But nobody really thought he could get Ron, who is one of the most respected people in the NFL.  And he did...  

Which is one reason I don't think he's self aware.  He sees the successes, and thinks he can keep repeating them. 

I agree he's in all likelihood delusional.  As Sheehan likes to say from what he hears, Dan blames everyone else for this organizations failures. 

I think he likely will be wrong if he thinks everything is the same as the past.  Some main differences between now and then.

A.  Even with Dan's dysfunction we were considered a marquee draw for most of his tenure.  TV ratings. Attendance not bad.  As recent as 2017, we were top 10 in attendance.  Now we are next to last in attendance with declining TV ratings.  Heck we are lucky even to get a Sunday Night Football game.  

In short we were dysfunctional ala Steinbrenner's Yankees were in the 80s but we were still relevant just like the Yankees were at that time -- but those days have sailed.  We are both dysfunctional and irrelevant.  Thats new.

B.  The narrative about Dan back then was he was a mega jerk but there was no major personal baggage into the mix.  Now we got the full package -- the guy is a mega a-hole and a sleaze ball sexist.  That's also new.

C.  The narrative that Dan can change was once at least possible in theory, now it looks like a joke since we got a 20 plus year sample size 

D.  The old stadium and facilities are an even bigger joke today versus years ago considering all the new stadiums and new facilities around the league.

Yes he did land Rivera.  I like Rivera but he isn't an elite coach.  I think Rivera is the high water mark for Dan.  And the only way you can get a dude like Rivera is to give him full control.  I seriously doubt any other team would offer that to Rivera.  But Dan likely had no choice.  I notice some people somewhat resent Rivera for having that power.  But in his shoes wouldn't you demand the same?  The GM picked by Dan tended to be his stooges and would carry his water.  Damn right, I'd want final say over the roster.  To me its simple is it me having final say or Dan.

I see this as Dan's last stand, this new era with Rivera.  If it goes south no way I buy that Dan can attract the big name in 2025 if the current tenure goes south like all the others just like its 2005 all over again.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Um, yes. Because the negatives in this case are potentially enormous. 

Could go to prison

Seems to be a potential serial sexual harasser/abuser...which would fit great in an organization that's literally going through scandals for that as we speak.

Could be suspended for at least a season, and you probably wouldn't know that until after you've traded for him.

Would likely cost an absolutely enormous new contract.

If he's suspended, by the time he actually steps on the field for you he wouldn't have taken a snap in the NFL for 2 years.

But on the plus side...he's younger. And...well, that's about it. He's not really better than Wilson overall.

That was sarcasm.  I'm well aware of the negatives.

I just don't really care about them all that much.  Like I said, I'm tired of losing.  If Watson turns out to be the best option available, sure.  Let it ride.

32 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

It's amazing what a franchise QB and an absolute stud rookie of the year WR can do for a team.

The Rams and Bengals are in many ways polar opposites. The Bengals are, for the most part, a homegrown team built on draft picks. The Rams are as close to a real-life fantasy football team as you can get and they can get off my lawn. The whole team is built on trades and free agency.

It's not as clean cut as that, but it is why I hope the Bengals win. I'm just not a fan of super-teams full of mercenaries. Maybe that's because we couldn't pull it off when Dan tried to do it so many times in the 2000's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

I think he means a real GM.  As in talented.  

We don't have that. 

A real GM meant to lead the entire organization. Hire and build and restructure the FO as see fit. Hire the HC. Assist the HC in building a staff if need be. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

A real GM meant to lead the entire organization. Hire and build and restructure the FO as see fit. Hire the HC. Assist the HC in building a staff if need be. 

I love how people think this is the only way to do it and just repeat the narrative without any actual thought.

• Like 2

Just now, Zim489 said:

Its something different than what we have seen here which obviously hasnt been working. 

Well, we won 7 games pulling people off the street, playing 4th, 5th, and 6th stringers at several positions. Yet people act like we had a 3-4 win season.

BTW--Andy Reid has total personnel control in KC. In SF, Lynch (who was roundly panned when he was hired) and Shanahan were hired about a week apart. You think Lynch really did a thorough search in that week?

Have to build through the draft? The Rams laugh at that idea.

Cincinnati has the smallest scouting department in the NFL. Their GM is still Mike Brown.

Many ways to build a winner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:
26 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Well, we won 7 games pulling people off the street, playing 4th, 5th, and 6th stringers at several positions. Yet people act like we had a 3-4 win season.

It was more like a 5 win season plus we played the Giants twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a borderline playoff team right now. We may not get the Qb we want this year but we could make this team good.

Get Trubisky, Marriotta, or Winston 

We trade with Seattle for Bobby Wagner he could be a cap cut.

Add a WR there a ton of them this year and add a running back.

We could easily win ten games then we make are move on Qb. Who know maybe whoever we get steps up becomes the man.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Really would depend on how Russ played when he got here. McNabb had a great career and sucked for us. Until someone puts up better numbers than Theisman, Sonny, Sammy and Ryp they are the best the franchise has ever had. Wilson would need to produce and win to get into the conversation despite how good his career has been. 

I would love to see us get Wilson just because it's been 10 years since we've seen a dynamic QB here (RGlll). What would it be like to root for a team that has a star QB? Many here haven't been able to do that. 

I remember thinking that Andy pulled a fast one on us when he traded McNabb to us.  There was a similar sentiment on here.  And sure enough, he did.

Look, if Russell has so much good football left in him you have to wonder why a franchise would be open to trading him.  Andy Reid knew McNabb was cooked, thats why he dumped him on us.  Guys like Russell don't grow on trees and I'd be wary if Seattle was shopping him.

But even at 75% he'd be better than anyone we've had recently.  Still though, he's not a long term solution and that's probably the one thing we can all agree on here; that we need a long term solution.  

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We have a borderline playoff team right now. We may not get the Qb we want this year but we could make this team good.

Get Trubisky, Marriotta, or Winston 

We trade with Seattle for Bobby Wagner he could be a cap cut.

Add a WR there a ton of them this year and add a running back.

We could easily win ten games then we make are move on Qb. Who know maybe whoever we get steps up becomes the man.

I'm with you. Sign Trubisky, keep TH as backup.

Sign Gesicki at TE.

Sign Allen Robinson WR.

Re-sign JD McKissic

Build the defense through draft.....add a legit MLB

re-sign Joe Slye!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Loverro, can be annoying but I do love his line about how Ghost Town Field would look without a star QB.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I remember thinking that Andy pulled a fast one on us when he traded McNabb to us.  There was a similar sentiment on here.  And sure enough, he did.

Look, if Russell has so much good football left in him you have to wonder why a franchise would be open to trading him.  Andy Reid knew McNabb was cooked, thats why he dumped him on us.  Guys like Russell don't grow on trees and I'd be wary if Seattle was shopping him.

But even at 75% he'd be better than anyone we've had recently.  Still though, he's not a long term solution and that's probably the one thing we can all agree on here; that we need a long term solution.  

The narrative around McNabb was Reid wanted to move on.  Apples to apples to Jimmy G now.

The narrative around Wilson is more or less Seattle really really really doesn't want to trade him but are scared that Wilson might ask for a trade.  That narrative is similar to the Lions and Stafford.

Two entirely different drills. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yep and we were slated to go the playoffs right before the COVID outbreak post the Raiders game.  Some like to say well other teams had COVID outbreaks, too.  Yeah they did but we weren't paying teams that had similar COVID outbreaks.  We played seriously undermanned against teams that were close to full strength,  Even with all of that, we could have won those two games against the Eagles.  

if we even had average Qb play we'd likely have made the playoffs.

And we did so with a bear of schedule with Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Josh Allen, Herbert on the docket.  With games against Carr and Ryan being the "easy" ones and we beat both of those teams. 

Things aren't all doom and gloom.

I know there is a poster or two who are really fired up as to getting others to rally against Rivera -- but the reason why they aren't really many takers is overall Rivera has been clearly fine factoring context.

I got as much angst as anyone about the QB spot, its pretty much 95% of what I post about, read about and obsess about -- but it seems odd to trash Rivera for failing this off season when the off season hasn't even started.   It would be like my complaining about the food in a restaurant before the food is even served to me based on my anticipation of the meal.  

• Like 5