Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But Dan has repeatedly shown that he is not self-aware, not very bright, and not even close to reasonable.

Context is everything, but he keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat when nobody expects him to be able to do it.  After almost a decade of suck with Norv, he got Marty.  Off of the Spurrier mess, he got Gibbs.  Off of the Zorn debacle, he got Shanahan.  Off of the Bruce catastrophe he got Ron.  

I think he also looks at Zorn and Jay as Vinny and Bruce hires.  (Which they were.) 

It would be really interesting, if you gave him truth serum, would he take responsibility for firing Marty and hiring Spurrier and how badly that went?  I dunno. Maybe.  That was the one HUGE coaching screwup he has really been 100% responsible for.  He was responsible for Zorn insofar as he kept Vinny, and everybody knew Vinny was a boob, so his choices were limited.  And Jay was 100% on the Bruce Christmas card list.  I bet he takes no responsibility for that.  

He'll look at HIS history and think he can get the guy he wants.  And he won't be wrong.

The only thing is, I think his reputation HAS taken a hit these last few years with the sexual harassments stuff, and that could effect his win-rate.

But nobody really thought he could get Ron, who is one of the most respected people in the NFL.  And he did...  

Which is one reason I don't think he's self aware.  He sees the successes, and thinks he can keep repeating them. 

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont agree with Dan being unable to make a GM hire. If a GM gets all the power that a HC has been getting like Ron has been getting, he should be able to hire one of the rising guys. GM jobs open up even less than QB jobs. We almost had gotten Rick Smith as GM before going the Ron route. 

Dont tell me its not possible. I 1000% wish we went the Rick Smith route.

Smith has been out of the league for 5 years, and time moves fast in the NFL.

I agree, Snyder is capable of pulling a Rick Smith-level candidate. 

He’s not capable of pulling a Schoen level candidate, an actual up-and-coming team builder from a successful organization who is a hot GM name on the market. Those guys get better opportunities with more upside, and many of them are willing to wait years until the right opportunity comes along.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't think RIvera is on the hot seat like you do. I think if he's fired it will be spontaneous. 

Agree that setting the next regime up for failure is a mistake, but as dense as Snyder is he knows Rivera is the one guy keeping this whole franchise afloat.

If Rivera has received a guarantee he will be here for at least 3 more years, selling the farm next year makes sense. But I am beyond worried about the idea that we won't actually be able to get into position for a top QB prospect next year. Strategically its a fail to think we can. 

As I mentioned earlier, we won't be the only team needing a QB in 2023 and other teams will probably be in a better positions than us.

2 teams right off the bat:

Lions - Likely to still have a Top 10 pick in 2023.  Plus, they also have a second #1 from the Stafford trade this year and 2023.  Lions will probably go with Golf again this year and get their QB in 23.

Giants - Likely to still have a Top 10 pick in 2023.  Since they have the #5 & #7 pick this year; I think they take the player they want at #5 and they trade down from #7 and pick up 23 draft capital.  My guess, a QB needy team- Tampa, Pittsburgh or New Orleans trades up to that spot.  To move up , they have to give up a 23 #1 pick.  Giants will ride with Jones in 22 but will have 2 #1's in 23, to get their QB. 

Atlanta will also likely be needing a QB but they made be in the lower part of Round 1.  I think they ride with Ryan again this year, The division can be theirs, so they hold off on getting a replacement until 23.

So, we can hold off until 23 but won't be the only team and I think at least 2 teams will have better ammo and be in a better positions than us, to get the top 23 QBs.

• Like 2

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

As I mentioned earlier, we won't be the only team needing a QB in 2023 and other teams will probably be in a better positions than us.

Lions - Likely to still have a Top 10 pick in 2023.  Plus, they also have a second #1 from the Stafford trade this year and 2023.  Lions will probably go with Golf again this year and get their QB in 23.

Giants - Likely to still have a Top 10 pick in 2023.  Since they have the #5 & #7 pick this year; I think they take the player they want at #5 and they trade down from #7 and pick up 23 draft capital.  My guess, a QB needy team- Tampa, Pittsburgh or New Orleans trades up to that spot.  To move up , they have to give up a 23 #1 pick.  Giants will ride with Jones in 22 but will have 2 #1's in 23, to get their QB. 

Atlanta will also likely be needing a QB but they made be in the lower part of Round 1.  I think they ride with Ryan again this year, The division can be theirs, so they hold off on getting a replacement until 23.

So, we can hold off until 23 but won't be the only team and I think at least 2 teams will have better ammo and be in a better positions than us, to get the top 23 QBs.

I think that's what I said, isn't it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

That all true but the 2023 draft has game breaking Qb. It's alot easier to move R Wilson when you can get B. Young as a replacement.

Every year there will be a lot of teams looking for a new QB. There are maybe 7 or 8 QBs that you don't have to question if they are your starter and about a total of 12-14 QBs that are above competent. The NFL has done everything in its power to make the position beyond important and there just aren't enough players that can do it, who get onto teams prepared to set them up to win. 

If there is a QB in this draft that the coaches love and think fits perfectly, then by all means, go get them at all costs, but drafting a QB that you don't think is worth building around doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Context is everything, but he keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat when nobody expects him to be able to do it.  After almost a decade of suck with Norv, he got Marty.  Off of the Spurrier mess, he got Gibbs.  Off of the Zorn debacle, he got Shanahan.  Off of the Bruce catastrophe he got Ron.  

I think he also looks at Zorn and Jay as Vinny and Bruce hires.  (Which they were.) 

It would be really interesting, if you gave him truth serum, would he take responsibility for firing Marty and hiring Spurrier and how badly that went?  I dunno. Maybe.  That was the one HUGE coaching screwup he has really been 100% responsible for.  He was responsible for Zorn insofar as he kept Vinny, and everybody knew Vinny was a boob, so his choices were limited.  And Jay was 100% on the Bruce Christmas card list.  I bet he takes no responsibility for that.  

He'll look at HIS history and think he can get the guy he wants.  And he won't be wrong.

The only thing is, I think his reputation HAS taken a hit these last few years with the sexual harassments stuff, and that could effect his win-rate.

But nobody really thought he could get Ron, who is one of the most respected people in the NFL.  And he did...  

Which is one reason I don't think he's self aware.  He sees the successes, and thinks he can keep repeating them. 

Not to go too far off in a tangent but with Dan it seems to be pretty textbook narcissistic personality disorder characteristics (I am not a mental health professional nor do I even play one on TV. Please don't savage me too bad @Jumbo)

That's one of the reasons I don't think he'll ever learn that he has no clue what he's doing when it comes to picking QBs or doing anything else football related, no matter how clear it is. He's basically incapable of even realizing that it's possible for him to be wrong about things. And it's always someone else's fault. I'm sure he blames Vinny for a ton of stuff and now blames Allen for a ton of stuff. Sure, they probably have some of the blame but he hired them, he kept them on during years of ineptitude, and he still inserted himself into the decision making process.

But back to the topic at hand...I don't think he'll find it too easy this time around. This franchise has consistently gone downhill to the point where we're now near the bottom in attendance, we're plagued by internal scandals, and we're mostly the biggest joke in the NFL. He was insanely lucky to get Rivera here but if he fires him, I don't think he's going to find any decent suitors unless he either trolls the bargain bin of has-beens who are out of the league or gives a shot to a very inexperienced coordinator or college coach.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

2 teams you listed right off the bat will be drafting top 10 at worst. I could easily see Schoen selling off pieces to make the Giants draft top 5. Wouldnt be surprised if they entered with 2 number 1s in 2023 as well.

I expect the Saints to utterly suck next year. They have to shred their team to be under the cap. Jameis blows and no more Payton. I think they are top 5 at worst. So you have 3 teams already looking at QB in the top 5. I dont see us being able to get up there to select some one.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do not get the Russell Wilson love fest.  He's 33 years old, he will turn 34 halfway through next season.  Yes, he would be an instant upgrade for us and make us way better, but I don't want him for the back half of his career.  

Who do you want?

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well someone that's not mediocre so I don't have to be reminded by you that the only way for us to win is to have elite quarterback play.  

Sheesh.

Sorry but I don't think I've seen you actually say who it is you want. Who would you prefer?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do not get the Russell Wilson love fest.  He's 33 years old, he will turn 34 halfway through next season.  Yes, he would be an instant upgrade for us and make us way better, but I don't want him for the back half of his career.  

This is Wilson's 10th season and the guy is obsessed with Football, the kind of obsession TB12 has.  He wants to play 20 years plus.  You want those guys in your locker room, that proverbial "rising tide lifts all boats".  I think it's hard to imagine having a very talented, fully emersed and driven to football vet and what it can do for a team given we've never had one.

https://www.nfl.com/news/seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-aims-to-play-20-plus-years-then-own-an-nfl-fo

"I knew I was wildly crazy about the game, but I'm ridiculously obsessed with it," Wilson said on an upcoming AP Pro Football Podcast, via The Associated Press. "That's why I want to play 20-plus years. I think the other part that you learn about yourself is to have patience. At the same time, you have to have drive. I think that's such a critical part. The third thing is [having] unrelenting confidence. You don't want to mistake that with arrogance. It's strictly confidence in what you do and how you do it and you've done it before, and we'll do it again and with great faith, all things are possible, and that's really what's been very evident to me in my journey."

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

We've talked about Mariota or Mitch T and a Rookie... but we've never entertained both Mariota and Trubisky! **** the draft, let's get 3 mediocre QBs together and ride the hot hand

(sarcasm) 

anyway, I'm down off the Russ Wilson high, it aint happening. So back to M Mariota and a draft QB, any chance Howell or Corral fall to the 2nd and we get a stud MLB at 11? 

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think he's going to find any decent suitors unless he either trolls the bargain bin of has-beens who are out of the league or gives a shot to a very inexperienced coordinator or college coach

If it gets to this point I think the league will step in like they did with the giants back in the 70s and force a hire of a team president to have full control for 5 years. This market is too valuable in so many ways that arent the same as other teams around the league. They cant afford to have 10k fans in the stadium for the next decade. They cant have a brand new stadium in 2027 to be completely empty. 

9 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Ron doesnt and shouldnt be given unlimited time. Hes due an extension after next year. Right now there should be zero reason to extend him. Hes essentially wasted 2 years already and we seem to be staring 3 years in the face with the options we have in front of us. And you want to give him 2 more years on top of that?

No, he's due an extension after the 2023 season.  That would be after year 4.  He's not going to get an extension after year 3.  

And I really think things would look a lot different if Fitz hadn't been hurt in the first half of the first game.  It's really impossible to comprehend how limited a QB TH is, and the fact they got to 7 wins with him is absolutely remarkable.  

9 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Where does Ron get and deserve this sort of job security? Sign a Jimmy G and youre going to have angry fans and even more apathy. It shows that this franchise doesnt give two ****s about actually competing for super bowls. 

Moves like Jimmy G keep us from being able to take those swings.

Do it now with one of the 4-5 at 11. Be right or GTFO Ron. 

I'm not forcing anybody to take a shot on a QB they don't think is the long term answer.  If that guy isn't in this draft, then don't force it.

You use what assets you have in the best way you can use them.  

They have to field a competitive team next year.  That starts with a legitimate QB.  They can't force a draft pick, and they can't rely on a complete reclamation project.  

Also, as it relates to 2020, they were probably "good" QB play away from being a 10 win team.  Haskins started 6 games, and went 1-5 because he stunk.  Alex freaking Smith, on one leg, won games.  That roster wasn't bad.  They had some of the worst QB play in the entire league.  If they had "good" QB play, they would have been significantly improved.  

Which is why they tried for Stafford in the off-season.  When that didn't work, they signed Fitz because he would have been an immediate and significant upgrade to everything they had.  

It makes sense.  You have to see the QB position as a force multiplier.  I'm curious what you mean by "tear it down" in 2020.  They could have released Smith, they could have released Collins.  They did turn over a lot of the roster.  But the core guys on the team, to this day, are still guys who were on that team: Allen, Payne, Matt I., Sweat, McLaurin, Scherff and  Rouiller,  (Granted, Scherff is probably gone now).   They added Lucas, Thomas, McKissic, brought Fuller back, signed the DB who's name starts with D who I can't remember. They drafted Young, Gibson and a few others who have contributed.

When you say "tear it down" I'm not sure what else they would have done.  There was no reason to break up the DL.  They could have cut Collins, but they hadn't seen him play yet, so why take the huge cap hit to do that?  They could have released Alex, but they thought he was just going to be the emergency QB, and if they were going to take the cap hit anyway, why not keep him around?  

Who else could/should they have released?  Ron said when he took the job, one of the reasons he took the job is he liked a lot of the young pieces.  Unsaid, they were horribly coached, if we just coach them better, they will be better. 

In a vacuum, I don't disagree with that. 

The big problem is, they just don't have the QB.  And they need to get the QB somehow.  Which everybody agrees on..  

Look, if Wilson landed here tomorrow, making an assumption the defense at least rebounds to middle-of-the-pack (which it REALLY should), we are IMMEDIATELY a contender in teh NFC.  The OL is solid, you have McLaurin, Gibson, Samuel, Thomas, Bates, and a few FAs to add in, it's an offense which RIGHT NOW could be really good.  It would be great if they could re-sign McKissic, and they probably need RSJ back until Thomas is healthy.  But it's not a bad group.  

Last year they completely under-performed their talent on defense.  I just don't think they're going to do that again.  We'll see.

But if you dropped a top QB in here, things would look SO much different, and you wouldn't be asking for a complete tear down.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do not get the Russell Wilson love fest.  

If you don't want Wilson, cool.  But I don't get those who say they don't get why anyone would want Wilson. 

But to play along. I'll start with he'd be the best Qb we've had by a mile in my lifetime. It would be cool for a change to have a top 10 QB.    Seattle made the playoffs 8 out of his 10 seasons as a starter.  The two he didn't make it was a 9-7 season and last year where he missed a bunch of games and wasn't right.  

For me it would be unreal to have a QB like that here.  Be like the class nerd dating the prom queen.

if you don't want Wilson who are you pining for this off season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

Not to be Debbie downer who would you like to be the next head coach if RR is relieved of his duties

I don't care.

I've already said, I expect Dan Snyder to never go to a superbowl, let alone win won. I also said I expect Dan Snyder to never win another playoff game.

For the rest of his life, it will be rinse and repeat.

A new coach every 3-5 years.  That coach at best, will get one playoff appearance.

This will be the cycle forever.

Ron's eventual successor is likely to be a Zorn/Gruden type. Basically, a puppet while Dan asserts more control.

Dan is incapable of hiring a coach that can win consistently and have us be a consistent playoff team.

Don't believe me:

Inherits Norv (almost 2 Years) -  Gets one playoff appearance and one win and one division title.  Dan assumes control. Fired

Marv (1 year)- Gives coach full control but fires him after an 8-8 season because he wasn't having fun. Fired

Spurrier (2 years) - Dan has control again but  Steve fails. Resigns.

Gibbs (4 years) - Gibbs has mostly control though Dan does interfere a little, especially making Gibbs hire Saunders in 2006. Gets 2 playoff appearances & 1 win. Retires.

Zorn (2 Years) - Dan assumes control again but lets Vinny pick the coach and do his dirty work. Fired.

Shanny (4 Years) - Gets one playoff appearance/division title.  Shanny assumes control but Dan interferes alot. Fired.

Gruden (5 1/4 years) - Danny lets Bruce run things but Danny assumes control behind the scenes. We get one division title/playoff appearance. Fired.

Rivera- Gives Ron full control, actually even more control than Gibbs had. We have one playoff appearance so far.

As you see, most of the Dan's coaches get fired eventually. Dan alternates between giving his coaches relative control and him having full control. 

So, Ron's destiny is to be eventually fired and Dan will assume control again and Ron's successor likely a puppett.

Rinse and repeat forever.

I don't expect  that to change with whatever QB we wind up with. There's toxicity that can't be overcome and won't be overcame as long as Dan owns the team.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sorry but I don't think I've seen you actually say who it is you want. Who would you prefer?

Kyler Murray.  Said it earlier, ship all the draft picks plus Allen to Arizona.

If not, I'd draft two quarterbacks this year and see who rises to the top.  And if no one does and we're picking in the top 10 next year, do it again.

I'd be okay with Russell Wilson, but let's keep in mind that McNabb was 34 when we got him and we saw how that worked out.  Now I think Wilson is better than McNabb for sure, but I'm really not interested in a veteran QB on the back half of his career, no matter who he is.  We'll just be here again in a few years looking for a guy that we can have for 10-12 years. 

I'm not really interested in a guy who can get us 3-5 years when his best years are already behind him.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kyler Murray.  Said it earlier, ship all the draft picks plus Allen to Arizona.

If not, I'd draft two quarterbacks this year and see who rises to the top.  And if no one does and we're picking in the top 10 next year, do it again.

I'd be okay with Russell Wilson, but let's keep in mind that McNabb was 34 when we got him and we saw how that worked out.  Now I think Wilson is better than McNabb for sure, but I'm really not interested in a veteran QB on the back half of his career, no matter who he is.  We'll just be here again in a few years looking for a guy that we can have for 10-12 years. 

I'm not really interested in a guy who can get us 3-5 years when his best years are already behind him.  

I am almost 100% willing to guarantee that he isn't traded. And if he is the team he goes to is going to get half ass effort this year so he can get to FA and join Kingsbury. 

He is doing this to get them to extend him AND Kingsbury.

If they don't he will play out the last season on his rookie deal and he and Kingsbury will go somewhere together.

Edited by KDawg

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I would expect Stafford to get a massive contract extension in the next few months.

My guess, he agreed to play out his two remaining years at his current fair rate of pay. Not to say a new contract won’t take place, but I’d be surprised if there was new money for next season. Also would be surprised if it was much beyond 10% of the cap, his new extension. 

3 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Please remember that Sheehan fully supported the development of Dwayne Haskins until the mainstream media had concluded he would not work out in Washington.

He was lukewarm about the whole Haskins process and as mentioned was not a fan of his coming out. It was more of, “you drafted him, he showed a little something, give him a year”. He was pretty dialed in on the situation in my view.

Sheehan I give respect to because he’s willing to make proclamations and stand on it. Trust me, he annoyed me a great deal for a long while, I was on the other side of the Kirk debate. 

Wilson

is not coming here if he is smart.  This morning Sheehan says he would prefer Deshawn Watson over Rogers and Wilson.  Ron is not going to bring Watson to Washington.

When it comes to evaluating quarterbacks most of us should not trust Sheehan's pronouncements because he is usually wrong.  I rarely listen to his show any more.

Who can you trust lol No one knows what young QBs will amount to.

I like

Pete Medhurst on the same radio station in the afternoons.  While Sheehan may know how to bet on nfl games I really do not think he is a sports guru.  I agree with you that we do not have a quarterback to give in exchange.

Sheehan strengths are football and basketball. I’d give him an edge over any of the radio personalities I’ve downloaded and listened to over my 6-7 years. He’s a sport junkie and certainly appears to put in the most time watching, which I value. Dude doesn’t seem to have a life outside of it lol

Edited by wit33

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you don't want Wilson, cool.  But I don't get those who say they don't get why anyone would want Wilson. 

But to play along. I'll start with he'd be the best Qb we've had by a mile in my lifetime. It would be cool for a change to have a top 10 QB.    Seattle made the playoffs 8 out of his 10 seasons as a starter.  The two he didn't make it was a 9-7 season and last year where he missed a bunch of games and wasn't right.  

For me it would be unreal to have a QB like that here.  Be like the class nerd dating the prom queen.

if you don't want Wilson who are you pining for this off season?

He'd be the best for sure, but my God how starved are we for a star quarterback that we're overlooking his age?  And it's not like Wilson hasn't taken a lot of hits, either. 

I said it before, I'll say it again for everyone in the back loud and clear:

USATSI_17048113.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

GET THIS MAN.

Plus we know he already looks good in bull**** black and red.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am almost 100% willing to guarantee that he isn't traded. And if he is the team he goes to is going to get half ass effort this year so he can get to FA and join Kingsbury. 

He is doing this to get them to extend him AND Kingsbury.

If they don't he will play out the last season on his rookie deal and he and Kingsbury will go somewhere together.

They'd be stupid to trade him but whatever.  The dude looks to be unhappy.