Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If you trade three first round picks and presumably a big extension? You set yourself back about 5 years. Maybe more.

How long did it take us to recover for the RGIII trade even though we got Cousins later in the same draft? 

Based on what? The RG3 trade in and of itself didn’t set us back. We had cousins and botched everything about that situation. One could argue that we could have easily recovered from that situation. We weren’t strapped to him in cash and we got years of productivity from cousins

im gladly trading 3 1s for Russ… LA doesn’t have a 1st rounder until the end of time, they’re in the Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

Can't really say how much the RG3 deal set us back because you now are arguing alternative facts.  We needed a QB and it not really debatable that Mike would have gone after one with even with no trade. Tannehill worked out but not for the team that picked him. We could have gone another route with our natural number one but who knows if we don't waste it? This is a big question even later on in that draft.  The picks missing in 2013? Do we waste those? If we'd gone differently, would the missing picks have been the same? Would they have been wasted? The Ram's pretty much wasted what we gave.

A rookie QB drafted this year is going to need 2 years minimum to be anywhere near ready to challenge seriously in the post season. I don’t think Rivera, even with 3 years left on that deal, has the time. We cant start from that rookie base in Ron’s year 3. 

I am very wary of Wilson’s longevity and cost. However I think we are totally tied to that horse. All in at all costs.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

A rookie QB drafted this year is going to need 2 years minimum to be anywhere near ready to challenge seriously in the post season. I don’t think Rivera, even with 3 years left on that deal, has the time. We cant start from that rookie base in Ron’s year 3. 

I am very wary of Wilson’s longevity and cost. However I think we are totally tied to that horse. All in at all costs.

I agree that we need to go after him hard. But I think he is our option. And we won’t be his only option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Based on what? The RG3 trade in and of itself didn’t set us back. We had cousins and botched everything about that situation. One could argue that we could have easily recovered from that situation. We weren’t strapped to him in cash and we got years of productivity from cousins

im gladly trading 3 1s for Russ… LA doesn’t have a 1st rounder until the end of time, they’re in the Super Bowl. 

Well to be fair it was a combination of the trade meaning we didn’t have picks to build around RGIII AND losing 30 odd million in cap space because of the bull**** penalty for overspending the cap IN AN UNCAPPED YEAR … and the injury to RGIII.

After the great rookie year we went 3-13 and 4-12. Then the one playoff appearance of the Gruden era and then a bunch of around .500 ball until Cousins left for the Vikings. So even though we had at least a league average starter (and arguably a bit better) in Cousins we struggled to get consistently over .500 and had one playoff appearance. At least some of that was because of the inability to build a roster around Cousins capable of contending.

• Like 2

I'm not in favor of offering up 3 1st-rounders in for a 33-year old version of Wilson (especially with that costly 2 years left on his contract, plus whatever it costs to get him to waive his "no-trade" clause to a non-playoff caliber franchise that wasn't on his list of preferred teams.)  And let's face it,  Rodgers won't be coming here and the Raiders won't be letting Carr go. And as for Watson...?? I don't think that would work out for a lot of different reasons.

That leaves candidates Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, Garapolo, and maybe Bridgewater if Rodgers for to Denver.  At best most of these would be a 2 year bridge solution -- while Washington tries to draft a decent rookie QB to develop. 

As for the draft --The 2022 class of of QBs isn't that strong, so unless the top-rated QB drops to #11, I'd save the draft capital planned for acquiring Wilson to use for moving up in the 2023 draft  to get the top-tier QB of a stronger class.  So I see the most practical course is a top-pick for the best LB possible and two bridges (QB and MLB) and maybe a 2nd round flyer on a QB, if a good one slid.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I'm not in favor of offering up 3 1st-rounders in for a 33-year old version of Wilson (especially with that costly 2 years left on his contract, plus whatever it costs to get him to waive his "no-trade" clause to a non-playoff caliber franchise that wasn't on his list of preferred teams.)  And let's face it,  Rodgers won't be coming here and the Raiders won't be letting Carr go. And as for Watson...?? I don't think that would work out for a lot of different reasons.

That leaves candidates Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, Garapolo, and maybe Bridgewater if Rodgers for to Denver.  At best most of these would be a 2 year bridge solution -- while Washington tries to draft a decent rookie QB to develop. 

As for the draft --The 2022 class of of QBs isn't that strong, so unless the top-rated QB drops to #11, I'd save the draft capital planned for acquiring Wilson to use for moving up in the 2023 draft  to get the top-tier QB of a stronger class.  So I see the most practical course is a top-pick for the best LB possible and two bridges (QB and MLB) and maybe a 2nd round flyer on a QB, if a good one slid.

The last paragraph is a great plan.

Up until other teams are trying to do the same and we lose the bid to move up. Or a QB needy team that isn’t us gets the top few picks and they don’t trade out.

This is the issue with continually pushing back getting a QB. 

Draft a QB at 11 if they seem even remotely capable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Well it’s Wilson or bust/draft. You go to whatever it takes for Wilson first.

I'd do whatever it takes.   He'd be IMO the best QB we've had since Sonny J.   it would be mind blowing to have a QB who can play like him on this roster. 

IMO among other things he's the top clutch QB in the NFL.   He's insane in big moments.

As I said about a month or so ago, I used to think no chance, but enough tea leaves exist to change my mind that we'd have a small albiet fighting chance.  

I don't want to get excited about it, don't want to dash my hopes, etc -- but in their shoes i'd go full court press to make this happen.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

We yuck it up again then RR more than likely gets fired.  He has to show out this year, year 3.  I think Snyder cans him if he has a losing record after this year.  

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We yuck it up again then RR more than likely gets fired.  He has to show out this year, year 3.  I think Snyder cans him if he has a losing record after this year.  

I guess I don't feel Rivera's seat is that hot.  And frankly, if the defense can shore up its linebacker situation, it has all the pieces in place for a really decent defense that could keep Washington's "C+" level of offense in a lot of close games.

Edited by Wyvern

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I honestly don’t think there is just about any scenario Ron gets fired after this season absent a complete 2-15 style meltdown down with him losing the team in the process.

Dan have Shanahan 4 years, and Jay 6. He is actually not that quick to pull the trigger anymore.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Draft a QB at 11 if they seem even remotely capable.

Only option they have if they FAIL to land RW, is possibly Carr or maybe Mayfield if they become available.  Trubisky about the only one I would sign to a 2 year deal with 1 year guaranteed. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His main complaint is about the O line, wants to win...

A lot of the hits and sacks Wilson takes are on him, he holds the ball a ton looking to make plays downfield. Which is not to say the O Line is not also bad and responsible for their fair share of the hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I guess I don't feel Rivera's seat is that hot.  And frankly, if the defense can shore up its linebacker situation, it has all the pieces in place for a really decent defense that could keep Washington's "C+" level of offense in a lot of close games.

Good for the D but this team needs a proven leader at QB. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I honestly don’t think there is just about any scenario Ron gets fired after this season absent a complete 2-15 style meltdown down with him losing the team in the process.

Dan have Shanahan 4 years, and Jay 6. He is actually not that quick to pull the trigger anymore.  

Shanny 4 years, Jay stayed for 6 because of Allen, IMO.  

3 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

We were saying that a lot last offseason as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Only option they have if they FAIL to land RW, is possibly Carr or maybe Mayfield if they become available.  Trubisky about the only one I would sign to a 2 year deal with 1 year guaranteed. 

Carr isn’t an option. He won’t be moved. 

I doubt Mayfield is, either. But who knows.

• Sad 1