Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

I mean we could have had Herbert. I’ve said it a few times, Haskins is the gift that just keeps on giving. He was on the roster going into his second year, we weren’t going QB. Hindsight, chase isn’t feeling like the correct pick, but it wasn’t disputed by many here or by the “professional” analysts at the time.6$

No, we couldn't have had Hebert.  No one had him ranked that high.  Like you said, the Young pick wasn't disputed by many on here or the analysts.  And if we were going QB, it probably would have been Tua.  No one had Herbert at 2. 

Quite frankly, Young has a long, long way to go to make me feel good about picking him there, quarterback issues aside. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dolphins supposedly offered 3 first round picks to take Burrow and Cincy refused.

They weren’t trading away that pick, they wanted Burrow 

Smart team, worked out well for them.  Burrow and Chase, they have a combo that'll last them for the next 10 years easy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're joking, but I guarantee there's going to be hot takes tomorrow about what this means for Mahomes' legacy.  Super Bowl winner, Super Bowl loser, then can't make the Super Bowl.  Patrick, you're trending in the wrong direction!!!

200.gif

I'd love to know what bull**** games we won in order to miss out on Burrow and land Chase Young.  

I hate everything right now.

30 years of allowing the owner to decide which QB to draft. 

• Like 1

Thank god we are in the NFC. Could you imagine being in the AFC East? I mean, Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Herbert … the next 10 - 15 years is going to be nuts. 

We gotta get one of these QBs. Just draft one in the first 3 rounds every year until you do. I hope Ron is watching this game and says, let’s go give up all we got for Watson … or says we are drafting a R1 QB for the next 3 years until we find our guy. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Thank god we are in the NFC. Could you imagine being in the AFC East? I mean, Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Herbert … the next 10 - 15 years is going to be nuts. 

We gotta get one of these QBs. Just draft one in the first 3 rounds every year until you do. I hope Ron is watching this game and says, let’s go give up all we got for Watson … or says we are drafting a R1 QB for the next 3 years until we find our guy. 

Yep because I would point to the 49ers as the alternative model, but look at how good everyone else on the team has to perform in order for them to win.  That is not something people should be clamoring for.  Not to mention how do you keep sustained success when all those players will want to get paid and they will.......elsewhere.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

OK, so how you getting a top tier guy and who is actually available? We are entering or in the midst of a league where there are more QB vacancies than guys available to fill the spots. It's easy to say TH isn't the answer...look at the Browns, how many high 1st round QB's have they drafted in the last 20 years? How bout developing a QB and living with his growing pains while coaching him up? Everyone wants a quick fix, snap your fingers and here comes Patrick Mahomes. It's not that simple. 

I think Trubisky is a very good reclamation project where another team has already done much of the work with him. Kick the tires on him and continue coaching up TH or even Kyle Allen. It takes a full roster to win a SB and that's the quickest way to win over hoping you find the next Tom Brady. I've waited almost 40 years for a guy like Theismann and even he wasn't a stud. Develop someone and get playmakers around him. 

First, you don’t settle for competence, then lock yourself into a long term deal paying 10-15%. Not only are the returns generally not worth the cost, it dissuades the organization from being aggressive with drafting or exploring ways to improve the position. Remain cheap while hunting for an elite guy or hope to find competency while a guy is on his rookie deal.

Washington will be in great position to draft a rookie 1st rounder as well as throw name in hat for an elite veteran. Imagine not being able to do either because you’re locked into Kirk Cousins or a Ryan Tannenhill. 

I will say though, teams are becoming bolder in how they manage the QB position and will jettison guys more freely now, versus attempting to convince themselves they were “right” about their guy for seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It's really interesting that two years in a row, a team is going to the Super Bowl with a QB that's been in their system only one year. Last year, it was TB and Brady. This year, it's LA and Stafford.

What that tells me is that if you have the coaches you can get a QB up to speed really quickly. Washington was a borderline playoff team that made the playoffs in 2020 and a borderline playoff team that missed the playoffs in 2021. If they get a QB there's no excuse for not getting immediate results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

It's really interesting that two years in a row, a team is going to the Super Bowl with a QB that's been in their system only one year. Last year, it was TB and Brady. This year, it's LA and Stafford.

What that tells me is that if you have the coaches you can get a QB up to speed really quickly. Washington was a borderline playoff team that made the playoffs in 2020 and a borderline playoff team that missed the playoffs in 2021. If they get a QB there's no excuse for not getting immediate results.

Might have worked out had Fitz made it further than one quarter

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If your QB is good it won't matter. Football isn't that hard that it takes five years to learn a system. You have like eight months in the off season to study and learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

We've got to let the Chase Young vs Justin Herbet thing go.  No one thought it was the wrong pick at the time.  He was seen as a transformational pass rusher, and he could still become one with some more discipline in his play.

The issue is all the times we did draft a QB but went with who Snyder wanted over everyone else in the organization.   That is the problem.  Every organization will make decisions here and there they regret and/or want a redo on, however with this organization it seems to be almost every single draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

Might have worked out had Fitz made it further than one quarter

So many ifs...

If Fitz had played 

If Logan Thomas played more NFL games than I did this year.

If Curtis Samuel took more NFL snaps than I did this year.

If McKissic didn't go down.

If Young and Sweat didn't buy into the hype and forget how to play their position.

If Jack Del Rio wasn't Haslett bad for more than 60% of the season

If more than half of the team didn't come down with COVID right before the most important games of the season.

Change two of those variables and we would probably have been in the playoffs over the Eagles. We probably would have been one and out, but we'd have been there. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The friggin Cincinatti Bengals are in the Super Bowl. The BENGALS.

Go get a QB. No more excuses.

Yeah, two drafts and they turned it around.

2019: 2-14-0

2020: Drafted QB Burrow, 4-11-1

2021: Drafted WR Chase, 13-7-0 and in the Super Bowl.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What I lament more than anything else is the Dolphins not converting that 2 point conversion when we faced them in the Tank Bowl in 2019. If t hey convert we lose and get the #1 pick and there is no way Rivera passes on Joey Burrow.

Actually, I could imagine a scenario where the Redskins brain trust convinced themselves that Burrow was a one year wonder who Mel Kiper projected as a sixth round pick just a year earlier and that Chase was Reggie White. They might have gone for the sure-thing superstar over the fluke.

Unfortunately, the NFL made itself into a pass-heavy league but there aren't enough good QBs to go around.  It's one of the most difficult positions in the 4 major sports because to be good, athletic skill simply isn't enough.  A QB has to be able to master a passing offense.  Nobody else has so much on their plate.  It's like playing musical chairs with 1/3 less chairs than players.  But, to quote the great Jimmy Durante, those are the conditions that prevail.  The murkiness of the situation will become clearer after the Senior bowl, but I'd hate for this team to spend a lot of capital (players or picks) for a guy who nobody has confidence will even reach top half of the league.  If Corral, Pickett, Willis, Howell, etc., are destined for "below-average starter" status, it would stink to waste the #11 pick on one of them.  At least get a good player at 11 and then take a project in round 2.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Actually, I could imagine a scenario where the Redskins brain trust convinced themselves that Burrow was a one year wonder who Mel Kiper projected as a sixth round pick just a year earlier and that Chase was Reggie White. They might have gone for the sure-thing superstar over the fluke.

I think Rivera already came out and said he would have taken Burrow at 1. You just don't pass up on a QB talent like that.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

The NFC Championship game showed  that you don't *need* a Top 10 QB to get to the Superbowl, but that is still what you ultimately want. Stafford's would-be pick aside, you look at the kind of throws he was making versus Jimmy G and it was pretty apparent who is helped along by scheme design versus who just goes out there and has the ability to make plays.

• Like 4