Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I've been mulling over the optics of picking up Daniels personally via Dan and GMAP and (insofar as we know) NOT doing the same for Drake or JJ.  (Penix's plane was late so we get a pass on him)

If you favor JD, it just sorta feels crappy to do that to Drake and JJ.  Like are you wasting their time?

If you don't favor JD, why give him seemingly preferential treatment?

One explanation I thought about, and I have ZERO proof of it, is what if Jayden's mom (or someone else in his camp) demanded he be picked up by Quinn/Peters.  Like our FO ideally would want to be as certain as they could be to show no favoritism, but Jayden's camp would have no such optical needs.

I'll be interested to see if more comes out on that.

38 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think it's possible that the agent and Jayden may prefer to play in Vegas or Minnesota and they think if we pass on him and take Maye that the Patriots will be amenable to dealing him to one if those teams.

That’s an excellent point. I sense that Daniels does not want to come to Washington. If that’s the case I hope that Peters and Co sense it as well

38 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think it's possible that the agent and Jayden may prefer to play in Vegas or Minnesota and they think if we pass on him and take Maye that the Patriots will be amenable to dealing him to one if those teams.

That’s an excellent point. Starting to sense that Daniels does not want to come to Washington. If that’s the case I hope that Peters and Co sense it as well

• Like 2

Another thought--

Jayden came to us after speaking with the Giants. Perhaps the Giants let it be known to him or his agent that if he was available with the third pick that they had a trade in place with the Patriots to take him.

Perhaps he'd rather play in NY than here. His off the field money and post career opportunities would be far greater there than here and that's something that could get a greedy agent salivating with desire.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maybe the interview and meeting with everyone in general didn't go that great? We know that Maye and McCarthy at least are much more extroverted and vocal. Maybe Daniels and his agent didn't really think it was a fair setting for him to show himself.

This I would buy.  

But in that instance they wouldn’t have to say anything.  

I just don’t think they told him beans.  Or even led him to believe one way or the other.  If he felt it, fine.  

His agent is a boob though for being petty on social media.  

And Florio should be banned for having the intelligence of a dead aardvark. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Everybody slow your roll.

Yes it's weird, but let's not start reading too deeply into this.

I often think back to high school english/literature classes, where we were to examine symbolism in various books, and how so often we just kinda made crap up to please the teacher.

image.png.732434d52ff3ccb61f3e2754e8350ed2.png

We are six looking glasses deep in this thread, we should probably all go get a snack from the fridge.

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, DogofWar1 said:

I often think back to high school english/literature classes, where we were to examine symbolism in various books, and how so often we just kinda made crap up to please the teacher.

We are six looking glasses deep in this thread, we should probably all go get a snack from the fridge.

Not the same thing. Agents publicly airing frustration on behalf of their client targeting a potential employer like this does not happen unintentionally. The agent is going public for a reason.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, BMagic said:

Getting slight flashbacks of the Ben Johnson situation with how Jayden's agent is going about this.

Yes, and that was also a salty attempt to get out in front of not necessarily being “the guy”. I think Daniels thinks it didn’t go that well. Similar to Ben Johnson’s fateful zoom meeting that didn’t result in him being the shoe-in choice. 

• Like 2

Just now, Conn said:

Yes, and that was also a salty attempt to get out in front of not necessarily being “the guy”. I think Daniels thinks it didn’t go that well. Similar to Ben Johnson’s fateful zoom meeting that didn’t result in him being the shoe-in choice. 

But by the time Ben Johnson had that interview, there were few if any remaining head coaching vacancies outside of this one. This is a much different situation. If Daniels doesn't go 2, he's going 3. All but guaranteed.

On 4/16/2024 at 2:40 PM, bowhunter said:

I'm not saying that it is the way I would do it either. I actually don't like it. Perhaps it will trigger a guest to make a costly tweet?

Hmmmmm. I'm like Clarence Voyant

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 4

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

I don't see any logical explanation for the agent "liking" two posts openky criticizing the interview process of the team that just completed an interview with your client unless you are seriously at odds with that team and either have been told that your client will not be hired or you're telling the team that your client prefers to work elsewhere.

Either way the chances that Jayden Daniels will be drafted by the Commanders have diminished considerably over the last hour.

• Like 1

Let's also remember... Magic Johnson already burned Antonio Pierce once on Kingsbury.

Pierce wants Jayden bad and he may hold a grudge against Washington because of the Kingsbury situation. He could be pulling all the stops to not lose his guy to us again, even if it means trying to sabotage Jayden to the Commies at 2.

I'm honestly starting to believe this lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Not the same thing. Agents publicly airing frustration on behalf of their client targeting a potential employer like this does not happen unintentionally. The agent is going public for a reason.

I mean yes.  It's highly unorthodox.  But I don't think we can discern much at all about it.  We gotta relax, and let the shoes drop.

Cause boy howdy they are dropping.

17 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I've been mulling over the optics of picking up Daniels personally via Dan and GMAP and (insofar as we know) NOT doing the same for Drake or JJ.  (Penix's plane was late so we get a pass on him)

If you favor JD, it just sorta feels crappy to do that to Drake and JJ.  Like are you wasting their time?

If you don't favor JD, why give him seemingly preferential treatment?

One explanation I thought about, and I have ZERO proof of it, is what if Jayden's mom (or someone else in his camp) demanded he be picked up by Quinn/Peters.  Like our FO ideally would want to be as certain as they could be to show no favoritism, but Jayden's camp would have no such optical needs.

I'll be interested to see if more comes out on that.

There is no proof that the personal pickup even happened. One paparazzi said it (without providing pictures) and then Sheehan or somebody repeated it. None of the beat guys even knew about the 20-player format of yesterday’s visit, I don’t trust them on this either. No details leaked at all until the facility was full of players (minus Penix whose plane landed late) 

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

But by the time Ben Johnson had that interview, there were few if any remaining head coaching vacancies outside of this one. This is a much different situation. If Daniels doesn't go 2, he's going 3. All but guaranteed.

And maybe they’d prefer that. Or just want to get out ahead of not being the guy at #2. Who knows. But it’s not an accident. The 🤔 he posted was not to disagree with the take he quoted lol. He would have strongly said “Jayden had a great time and is always eager to show people who he is, no matter the format” if he disagreed with the report. He agrees with it, and wants people to know. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is interesting. It makes me think the vibe they got dealing with our FO was that Jayden was not our guy and wouldn’t be the pick. Getting out in front of not being the #2 pick by making Washington look clueless is the only possible motive here. Otherwise this is fruitless and makes your client’s life harder when he’s drafted here. Only makes sense if they think he’s not the guy.

Similar to when Ben Johnson’s agent leaked that he thought Harris was a “basketball guy” who didn’t get football, when it became clear he wasn’t an instant front-runner for the job before the in-person interview that was eventually cancelled by Johnson. Getting ahead of things. 

Feels like if my interpretation is correct, we’ll start seeing media people change their guesses and mocks to be Maye, as the agent leaks all over the league. 

I don't want Daniels here at all, I am 100% a Maye guy, but stuff like this happening is part of why I don't like it when we go off the beaten path.  We gain nothing by alienating players and agents.  Maybe Jayden has never been our guy.  I certainly have never even remotely believed he was our best choice.  But what if this had happened, and he actually was our only good choice?

We should have picked our guy by now, and we should be spending our time developing a partnership and rapport between him and our FO and coaching staff, like KC did with Mahomes.  And they didn't even have a high draft pick at the time all of that happened.  QB-HC-GM relationship is not an adversarial relationship where the QB must pass all sorts of tests and succeed in spite of what his franchise puts him through.  It's a true partnership, and QB prospects do need a lot of support and commitment from their teams.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I mean yes.  It's highly unorthodox.  But I don't think we can discern much at all about it.  We gotta relax, and let the shoes drop.

Cause boy howdy they are dropping.

It’s over. It’s done. Daniels is no longer in play. Simple as that. 

I think there is a non-zero chance that we informed his agent today that Jayden wasn’t going to be the pick. If last night and earlier today were the last piece of the evaluation, and if we indeed did have a lean and it was to stay at number two and pick Maye, it’s entirely possible we finalized our decision and if we did, the professional thing to do would be to let them know.

And I could see his agent being kind of pissed if that was the case like, “why did you make my kid come all the way out there to play golf with your favorite?”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Y'all are reading way too much into these tweets.

And I love it.

I dunno. A possible top 3 draft pick's agent going on Twitter and basically ****ing about the pre-draft process of the team that has the second overall pick is weird at best, damaging at worst. I think this will have legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think there is a non-zero chance that we informed his agent today that Jayden wasn’t going to be the pick. If last night and earlier today were the last piece of the evaluation, and if we indeed did have a lean and it was to stay at number two and pick Maye, it’s entirely possible we finalized our decision and if we did, the professional thing to do would be to let them know.

And I could see his agent being kind of pissed if that was the case like, “why did you make my kid come all the way out there to play golf with your favorite?”

Why would we tell him (or anyone else) we're not picking him?

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I dunno. A possible top 3 draft pick's agent going on Twitter and basically ****ing about the pre-draft process of the team that has the second overall pick is weird at best, damaging at worst. I think this will have legs.

Its possible the agent is unhappy about the process but Daniels still passes the test.

I mean I hope y'all are right, and that Daniels just failed whatever we were testing for and ends up not being the pick, but I think this is a lot of hubbub over what will ultimately be nothing.