Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Its almost odd how both Howell and Maye both Carolina boys, had their stats tank their senior year. But its not their fault right. Same ****ty school living off BBall.

Howell projected to go in the 2nd plummets to the 5th when Ron decided to throw a dart.  By my arm chair math, Maye could fall as well. if even a spot. It certainly shouldnt surprise anyone using Howell as a measuring stick of sorts. Dont be fooled by a #10 powder blue tall boy not in a elite program.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

@Skinsinparadise I know you are Keim's agent.  I used to think you were actually Keim self promoting.  But I think I've come around that you're just his agent acting in disguise. :P

Look, the guy is connected. And he's a pro.  But he's as guilty as any human being of confirmation bias as any of us.  He's definitely leaned heavily into Daniels, and his reporting is slanted that way.  

I give him credit that he ALWAYS says he has no idea what this team is doing.

I personally don't believe other coaches are going to give a beat reporter a whole lot of insight, whether they are taking a QB or not.  And if they're not taking a QB, they probably haven't done all the work on all the QBs.

I have to imagine Keim would have called all the former coaches who are around the league who worked here.  You'd think he would have their numbers: Kyle, Sean, O'Connell, McDaniel, etc.  There have been a lot of coaches in and out of here who Keim has covered.  O'Connell probably isn't saying anything to him, but Kyle, Sean and McDaniel might.  Maybe even Bobby Slowik. 

But honestly, I doubt any of those guys have really and truly delved DEEP into the film and everything else on the QBs.  None of them are taking QBs.  I'm sure they watched some film.  I'm sure their scouts have watched all the film.

But I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in any of their opinions, which might not be fully baked.  

Honestly, it's the first time I've really felt like Keim has strayed off his normal "center of the road" path that I can remember.  I'm not mad about it.  But it's interesting.  I know he knows people might be selling him a bill of goods.  I wonder, though, if he's buying it because he wants to.

Shrug.  It doesn't really matter.  I like Keim, I think he's the best at his job there is.  That's not going to change.  But the guy is still human and I think he might be suffering from a little desire to cover RGIII again.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sinews said:

I'm not impugning Keim here, much less yourself SIP, I just find it a little difficult to believe that everyone Keim has talked to has been universal in Daniels > Maye. Would be interested in the make-up of that sample size.

But it's cool with me if that's indeed the case! Personally, the more noise I hear about Jayden to Washington, the more I'm convinced it's going to be Maye (or even McCarthy, although seemingly unlikely). 

I buy it 100%.  Keim doesn't lie or exaggerate.  I take him at his word and that is he talked to a bunch of them including ones he trust on the subject of QBs.   Keim doesn't reveal his sample size but he's not the type to say hey I talked to two coaches and the verdict is in.

He changed his positon on this as i mentioned.  A month ago, he thought it was a dead heat and leaned Maye.  But his position shifted on this as soon as he started talking to coaches and he suggested a bunch of them.  Keim would come off like a clown if he changed his position based on like 2 conversations.

He has suggested the more he talks to, the more he's a believer that Daniels is considered at least by coaches as the #2 QB and yeah he suggested its everyone he's talked to this far.

To your point, sure I bet there would have to be some coaches in the league who prefer Maye.  But I do believe that Keim I gather hasn't spoken to those dudes yet whomever they are. 

But, as some mentioned coaches and front office people might see it differently.  As some have pointed out, coaches prefer the instant coffee everything being equal than slow brewing it for potentially better coffee.  So there might be disparity between Maye and Daniels on that front.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I like Maye.

I'll certainly cheer for him the same way I cheered for Howell, Wentz, [redacted], Colt Brennan, or any other player on the team.

Once he is drafted here, he is officially MY QB.

But, until that happens, he sucks and I hope they go a different direction 😂

• Haha 10
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Do you know what the folks on that list all have in common?

Zero Superbowl appearances.  I could be wrong, but I don't think Cunningham or Vick ever got to a championship game.  Unless my memory is faulty, Lamar got to one, and lost.

This is the thing I keep harping on which is counter to the argument about dual-threat QBs: yes, they put defenses in a tough spot to defend them.  But the QBs who win championships control the game from inside the pocket and then have the ability to extend plays when necessary. Here are the list of SB winning QBs.  Find me ONE who was a dual threat QB. The answer is none.  What they all have is the ability to control the game from the pocket, move in the pocket when necessary, and some have a better ability to extend plays and get yards with their legs (Mahomes, Rodgers, Favre, Elway, Steve Young jump out as the QBs who were very athletic in extending plays and picking up yards when needed with their legs.)

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 1 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 56: Matthew Stafford (Cooper Kupp), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 57: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 58: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs

The media is fascinated with the dual threat QB.  I don't think the NFL is.  I could be wrong.  

Until proven otherwise, I still think you win from the pocket.  

Embrace the future; after all, guards never won NBA championships until they did.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Daniels isn't gonna suddenly become a good slider in the NFL, and he lacks situational/spatial awareness so he'll always just be getting plastered by defenders.

It's frustrating that he can't slide; it's a significant drawback for a QB who relies on his legs. If he were able to slide, I'd have much fewer, almost no concerns about him getting seriously injured.

And it's not something that seems very easy to pick up and learn. Such a game changer if a running QB or any QB has this mastered. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

[excerpt on Daniels from the new Breer article]

You can give Jayden Daniels similar marks for his work the day before in Baton Rouge. His pro day was probably the most heavily attended workout of this draft cycle by the top guys—general managers and head coaches—and not just because of Daniels. There were also the two receivers (Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr.) likely to go inside the top half of the first round.

Like Maye, Daniels checked all the boxes to show the decision-makers in attendance that everything they saw on tape translated in a live setting.

“He looked good,” an offensive coordinator in attendance says. “He showed his fluidity and athleticism. The mid- to short-range accuracy is really easy for him. … I feel like every one of these pro days is a little bit different. They didn’t get dramatic in the routes they ran with these guys. He handled it all well. It solidified him as one of the first two picks in the draft.”

The coordinator then added, “It was eerily similar to C.J. [Stroud’s] pro day, just in his mechanics, the rhythm of it.”

The imperfections came down the field, with two receivers that run 40-yard dashes in the 4.3s adjusting a bit while the ball was in the air.

“I didn’t think the workout just blew anyone away,” says an NFC exec. “There was some mechanical stuff that didn’t look real clean. I thought the deep ball was kind of all over the place. When he sets his feet and he’s balanced, there’s really a good arm there. It’s a really natural stroke. But he missed some throws, some locations … What gives you a little pause is maybe he’s not as polished as a thrower as you maybe would have thought.”

The exec added that it would have been nice to have gotten a confirmed 40 time on Daniels, given how important his breakaway ability in the run game is to his total package, but it’s hard to fault the Heisman winner for not running. Maye, Caleb Williams, J.J. McCarthy and Bo Nix didn’t run one, either, at the combine or their respective pro days. But Michael Penix Jr. did, given his medical questions.

So Daniels, at least for now, is the presumptive favorite to be the No. 2 pick, behind Williams, with his combination of that natural throwing ability and freakish athleticism making him a little different than the other top guys in the class.

Granted, I am very much pro Maye, but I watched both pro days in their entirety and for the life of me I could not understand why most media personalities were gushing over Daniels workout and critical of Maye’s.  

Maye did have those 2 misses early, but after that he was a dang machine!  The level of difficulty of his throws and the zip on his throws far exceeded what Daniels displayed.  

Everything about Daniels’ pro day was kind of boring and lazy and he also had his fair share of misses.

Edited by ST_DaGoat21
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I know you are Keim's agent.  I used to think you were actually Keim self promoting.  But I think I've come around that you're just his agent acting in disguise. :P

I should get paid from him.  :ols:  Considering he's so modest and doesn't self promote.  I do it for him here.

Keim to me is the best reporter of all time as to nailing things about this team.  Sheehan the best radio personality covering the team.  Sheehan can frustrate me but still for me he's a legend as is Keim for different reasons.

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Look, the guy is connected. And he's a pro.  But he's as guilty as any human being of confirmation bias as any of us.  He's definitely leaned heavily into Daniels, and his reporting is slanted that way.  

Your criticism is just serving as easy fodder for me to prop Keim up even more.  :ols:  Because the opposite of your point is again true.  Not sure if you are doing this on purpose to elevate Keim's points but nonetheless its doing that.

First when you said Keim is talking to ex-NFL people as his sources.  Not true.  He said it was current coaches.  I believe personnel too but I know for sure he's said coaches who are currently in the NFL. 

Now to this new point from you.  Comfirmation bias.  Again the opposite of that.   I posted here weeks ago twice Keim saying its a toss up from what he can tell but if he had to choose one today it would be Maye.  Confirmation bias would be him doubling down on his views, not doing a 180 on them.

His 180 is based on talking to coaches. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

Granted, I am very much pro Maye, but I watched both pro days in their entirety and for the life of me I could not understand why most media personalities were gushing over Daniels workout and critical of Maye’s.  

Maye did have those 2 misses early, but after that he was a dang machine!  The level of difficulty of his throws and the zip on his throws far exceeded what Daniels displayed.  

Everything about Daniels’ pro day was kind of boring and lazy and he also had his fair share of misses.

Maye is this draft's Herbert. Most people were very high on Herbert until draft time got near and then he suddenly became the most heavily scrutinized QB and all of his flaws were amplified by sports talking heads left and right.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, illone said:

I like Maye.

I'll certainly cheer for him the same way I cheered for Howell, Wentz, [redacted], Colt Brennan, or any other player on the team.

Once he is drafted here, he is officially MY QB.

But, until that happens, he sucks and I hope they go a different direction 😂

I really want to do that for Daniels. I’m  a UCLA guy and hate all things USC but if we had somehow ended up with Caleb I would be all in with him. I am 100% on board with Maye and even if they get crazy and we end up with JJ or Penix or Nix I would be cheering those guys.

Daniels is going to take work for me. I really dislike the guy. I just see him as a guaranteed injury and bust waiting to happen and I don’t like his attitude or his mom throwing teammates under the bus. But I will give Peters and DQ the benefit of the doubt and suck it up reluctantly eventually before the season starts. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maye is this draft's Herbert. Most people were very high on Herbert until draft time got near and then he suddenly became the most heavily scrutinized QB and all of his flaws were amplified by sports talking heads left and right.

Fully agree with eerily the same mediocre receivers

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I really want to do that for Daniels. I’m  a UCLA guy and hate all things USC but if we had somehow ended up with Caleb I would be all in with him. I am 100% on board with Maye and even if they get crazy and we end up with JJ or Penix or Nix I would be cheering those guys.

Daniels is going to take work for me. I really dislike the guy. I just see him as a guaranteed injury and bust waiting to happen and I don’t like his attitude or his mom throwing teammates under the bus. But I will give Peters and DQ the benefit of the doubt and suck it up reluctantly eventually before the season starts. 

Same.

I wouldnt draft Jayden in the 7th round. 

And I'm an ASU fan lol.

Part of me wishes we had the 4th or 5th pick so we could argue more about Penix in a possible trade down scenario. He is legit IMO.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I should get paid from him.  :ols:  Considering he's so modest and doesn't self promote.  I do it for him here.

You are getting paid.  You're just hiding it.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim to me is the best reporter of all time as to nailing things about this team.  Sheehan the best radio personality covering the team.  Sheehan can frustrate me but still for me he's a legend as is Keim for different reasons.

Keim is the most accurate in getting stories about the team.  No doubt.  But he is openly saying he has no idea what they are going to do because they aren't telling anybody.

So then he turns to what he's hearing from around the league.  That's reporting, but it's not reporting on what this team will do.  I think it's impossible not to admit he has a preference.  And I haven't heard him say he's talking to current coaches.  I do listen to all of his podcasts.  I've heard "coaches" and I've heard "People in the NFL" and I've heard "people around the league."  I might have missed "current coaches."  But candidly, I haven't heard him say those words in what I can remember.

Anyway, it's kindof irrelevant.  I like him.  He's my go-to source for news.

I don't have any reason to believe he's not reporting what he's hearing.  However, I also don't buy the league is 80% Daniels over Maye.  The eye test doesn't lead me to that conclusion.  And that's what he's reporting, so something is fishy. 

Shrug.  I'm not here to criticize Keim.  I really like him.  

Sheehan, I haven't listened to in ages.  Maybe he's better after Snyder left.  But he became an insufferable blow hard for the last 4-5 years and the couple of opportunities I took to go back and listen to him, he just proved he was still an insufferable blow hard.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I mean, okay, but it might take me a little while to get there:

Mobile Antenna for field work. A little big but gets the signal out. | Ham  radio, Cb radio, Radio antenna

The key is to stay away from bridges…

(it’s ok, I hate myself too)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  If I understand him right every coach he talked without a stake in this including coaches he respects a lot as to their QB acumen, all tell him Daniels > Maye.  And they don't find it super close.  So based on that he's assuming that this regime might fall accordingly considering he's getting zero mixed opinion on it and he continues to probe and it hasn't changed the more he probes.

B.  He's not ruling out Maye as a possibility.  He seems to think though McCarthy is unlikely the dude at #2.

C.  Moving target, this FO hasn't decided

This is why Dan's "coach-centric" model with Ron Rivera was so wild imo. A good organization has checks and balances. Daniels has crisp mechanics with a more refined release, which is to be expected since he's a fifth year player. A coach is more likely going to gravitate toward the guy who they feel can help them win games faster, for better job security. A GM is more concerned with the long-term state of the Franchise and will lean toward who they project to be the best in 5-10 years. Maye is more raw from a technical standpoint and is going to require more fine-tuning from coaches, but the traits and special throws are seen in his tape.

I'm willing to be patient with Maye to develop if their projection of him is as a top-end of the league type talent. Yet, if Jayden can be similar to Jalen Hurts, we've seen that work as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BMagic said:

I'm willing to be patient with Maye to develop if their projection of him is as a top-end of the league type talent. Yet, if Jayden can be similar to Jalen Hurts, we've seen that work as well.

Daniels doesn't have Hurts arm or his power.  

He's probably faster.  He might be a tad more accurate.  

If Daniels tried the Tush Push, he'd end up in the intensive care unit at Invoa Fairfax Hospital.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I really dislike the guy. I just see him as a guaranteed injury and bust waiting to happen and I don’t like his attitude or his mom throwing teammates under the bus. 

Yeah and he doesn’t play the game the right way and should convert to RB and nobody came to his birthday party and blah blah 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Daniels doesn't have Hurts arm or his power.  

He's probably faster.  He might be a tad more accurate.  

If Daniels tried the Tush Push, he'd end up in the intensive care unit at Invoa Fairfax Hospital.  

Comic-Book-Guy-The-Simpsons.jpg

11 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

lol, how are you defining 180?

Then...I don't know

Now...I don't know

Back then he felt that opinion was divided and he leaned Maye

Now after probing he doesn’t feel opinion is divided and leans Daniels

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Keim is the most accurate in getting stories about the team.  No doubt.  But he is openly saying he has no idea what they are going to do because they aren't telling anybody. 

I co-sign the rest of your post, just quoting this for emphasis.

This is brand new territory for fans of this team.

Football operations is no longer a joke here, and that's worth celebrating. Even guys like Keim who would normally get "secrets" is no longer able to.

This is good news.

• Like 7

So much talk of sliding. I'm here for it. Been there from the beginning before anyone turned on the light switch.

Lets check in on the current mindset of my guy "Da Slide Coach" as he prepares to hunt the most dangerous game of all.

giphy.gif.d7fd03655b4c1278741a64c0ffe51ff0.gif

Ya'll think I'm playin. If it was up to me, sliding would not only haunt JD's dreams, but his waking hours as well. All "light weights on u" style.

I know Wash QBs have a history with water slides but I'd find the biggest one and make him hold perfect football slide form all the way down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, alaroche04 said:

It's still Maye >>> Daniels to me. I want my quarterback to be available on Sundays.  Not holding a clipboard.

Dude didn't miss a start in 55 games in college, despite his size and sack/hit tendencies.  In his entire college career he missed like 15 minutes because he had to clear concussion protocol (and did).  Now of course that's not the NFL, but it shows that he's been durable versus everything thrown at him so far.

4 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If we go Daniels, and at this point I think it's a 50-50 proposition, the first thing we need to do is stress to him the importance of protecting himself, by sliding and going out of bounds, when he runs.

He did curb his reckless tendencies a lot the second half of last year, so it can be argued that he's already making that adjustment.  And he had his best games late in the year, so those tweaks didn't slow down his results.

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I think it's a legit concern that some coaches might be leaning Daniels due to shorter term thinking about who may be a better immediate starter

The coaches don't make the decision, and none of the coaches are talking to the press at all, so that concern doesn't appear to have any real weight behind it.  It's just connected to that fear that many have with Daniels -- they feel he'll be injured and that Maye is the safer pick, thus skewing the narrative in that direction.  And that might be logical, but there's no actual info out there telling that story.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You take the long term guy when you're in year 1 of a new regime picking #2 overall. You don't take a 24 year old running QB who weights as much as a beanpole.

So that quarter inch of height and 15 pounds of weight is THAT transformative?  The difference between utter devastation and prototypical size is the weight of a bowling ball?  I agree that the overall style of Daniels' game has never aged all that well in the NFL, but we're getting hyperbolic about the weight thing.

1 hour ago, TheBigJourney said:

Not gospel of course but I’m telling you, JJ could be the guy

Because a dude said the Commanders "really like" JJ on Twitter?  There's a ton to "really like" about all the top QBs in this draft.  You don't think the same guys really like Daniels, Williams, and Maye?

Look, despite my responses to these quotes, I'm still leaning Maye.  I just think it helps to be honest about the actual information we have, and to be careful to separate "actual info" from all the rampant speculation that goes on this time of year ahead of every draft.  Daniels' size looked surprisingly good at his pro day, especially his legs.  And Maye threw like an absolute beast on his pro day, showing very little of the issues people are harping on.  The issues are there for sure, but he nailed a 70-throw script at a pace no one else even came close to during their throwing sessions.

Lots of bogus narratives out there dominating the news cycle at the moment, in my opinion.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jags said:

So that quarter inch of height and 15 pounds of weight is THAT transformative?  The difference between utter devastation and prototypical size is the weight of a bowling ball?  I agree that the overall style of Daniels' game has never aged all that well in the NFL, but we're getting hyperbolic about the weight thing.

There's no way Daniels plays at 210 lbs, and everybody knows it.  He refused to get weighed at the combine, most likely because he was going to weigh around 200, maybe even less.  

Whoever the guy on with Galdi this morning joked he was probably pounding 50 PBJ sandwiches a day for 2 months to get to 210.  And now it's all going to go away.

My guy is a thin man.  Nothing wrong with it.  He's just tall and thin.  It is what it is.

Maye is tall and built.  

If you see them next to each other, one looks like they can take the other's lunch money without too much issue.  

There is a difference. A big difference.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, TheBigJourney said:

Yeah and he doesn’t play the game the right way and should convert to RB and nobody came to his birthday party and blah blah 

I don’t think he would last as RB either. Maybe he can be a kick returner in the UFL.