Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Caleb. He is 6.0'

6-foot-1 1/8

Many questioned whether Williams would even hit 6 feet tall. The official measurement at the NFL combine came out Saturday when quarterbacks worked out without Williams and he is 6-foot-1 1/8, 214 pounds with a hand size 9 3/4 inches.Mar 2, 2024

• Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Why would the Bears do that? It’s all about saving face. The Chargers didn’t bad mouth Eli and the Colts didn’t bad mouth Elway.

Because they didn’t have to.  Both Elway and the Mannings made it perfectly clear publicly what was going on so the team didn’t need to say anything other than “we wish him well.”

If Caleb comes out and says at the combine “I’m excited to play for the Bears or whoever drafts me” but is working behind the scenes, the Bears will make damn well sure everybody knows their not just trading down because they want to but because they have to.  They’ll do it professionally, and they’ll take the high road.  Then they will let the media crucify Williams for being a backstabbing liar.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, ST_DaGoat21 said:

He measured in at 6’1” the combine

Well that’s a whole different story then.  

Just kidding BTW, I don’t even care about the whole debate, just funny to think about an inch making a big difference (that’s what she said).

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because they didn’t have to.  Both Elway and the Mannings made it perfectly clear publicly what was going on so the team didn’t need to say anything other than “we wish him well.”

If Caleb comes out and says at the combine “I’m excited to play for the Bears or whoever drafts me” but is working behind the scenes, the Bears will make damn well sure everybody knows their not just trading down because they want to but because they have to.  They’ll do it professionally, and they’ll take the high road.  Then they will let the media crucify Williams for being a backstabbing liar.

That’s not true at all. It was not public. Archie made some cryptic comments. Eli even smiled and wore a chargers hat after they drafted him.

We will see how it plays out soon enough. The fact he cancelled his top 30 visit and delayed the Bears being able to trade fields is not something insignificant. 

I still think that the most likely outcome is that we draft Drake Maye. However I think it’s more of a 75/25 proposition and not a 2% one like you do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s not true at all. It was not public. Archie made some cryptic comments. Eli even smiled and wore a chargers hat after they drafted him

You misremember. It was very public.

edit: and no, he did not wear a chargers hat. He went up on the stage, and refused to put the hat on, while the crowd chanted for him to do it.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You misremember. It was very public.

Eli did not go on Tv and say I won’t play for the Chargers. Their camp started acting that way leading up to the draft but at this point in the process, Eli and Archie were not publicly saying it.  Caleb’s dad has been far more explicit thus far. 

• Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Just so I’m prepared, when the Bears draft Caleb, do you want me to talk you down off the ledge or kick the chair out from underneath of you?

I think he should be forced to apologize profusely and send each of us $20!!!!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Eli did not go on Tv and say I won’t play for the Chargers. Their camp started acting that way leading up to the draft but at this point in the process, Eli and Archie were not publicly saying it.  Caleb’s dad has been far more explicit thus far. 

Watch that video

or this one

https://youtu.be/JdckUrzlt-M?si=gZZ25IqRr2eXyXDk

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Caleb went to the combine and didn't release his medicals.

Ryan Poles responded by scheduling his Top 30 visit way early so he could get the info before start of FA/league year/trading window, ostensibly to conduct his diligence before moving Fields.

Caleb then canceled the Top 30 visit, deciding he didn't want to play ball with Poles' timeline.

This is all circumstantial. Nothing is affirmatively being concluded. But does this sound to you like all is hunky dory? Doesn't it seem plausible that other things might be happening behind the scenes?

Magic poached Kingsbury from Vegas and Bobby Wagner specifically mentioned him as part of the reason he came to Washington. We know he's out there recruiting. Not tagging players in his poetic Tweets, but privately. Don't you think he would have at least checked in with the Williams camp to take their temperature?

We've amassed a bunch of picks to stock up on potential trade ammo and we're already sitting at 2 overall. It's not like we're trying to cook up scenarios to go from pick 20.

The Bears coverage has been dominated by Caleb vs Fields but we really don't have any indication how Poles views Maye or Daniels or what kind of compensation would sway him to drop down a spot and get his 2nd favorite guy.

Nothing here is conclusive but it's not some ridiculous conspiracy theory, either.   

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Let me throw something else out there:

Caleb doesn't have an agent. It's a tight circle. Dad a big presence. You know the physical talent is there but are wondering about the mental side.

Maybe Ryan Poles has concerns about managing the psychological aspect but Magic Johnson has a certain level of gravitas and respect from the Williams camp that only a few legendary OGs "command" (no pun intended), and thus our staff is more comfortable with the off-field aspect because they have Magic as a "Carl Williams Whisperer".

We talk all the time about how the situation is just as important as the player to have success. Is it so ridiculous the vastly different situations may be influencing the evals a bit here?

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Ryan Poles responded by scheduling his Top 30 visit way early so he could get the info before start of FA/league year/trading window, ostensibly to conduct his diligence before moving Fields.

Caleb then canceled the Top 30 visit, deciding he didn't want to play ball with Chicago.

This is all circumstantial. Nothing is affirmatively being concluded. But does this sound to you like all is hunky dory? Doesn't it seem plausible that other things might be happening behind the scenes?

Magic poached Kingsbury from Vegas and Bobby Wagner specifically mentioned him as part of the reason he came to Washington. We know he's out there recruiting. Not tagging players in his poetic Tweets, but privately. Don't you think he would have at least checked in with the Williams camp to take their temperature?

We've amassed a bunch of picks to stock up on potential trade ammo and we're already sitting at 2 overall. It's not like we're trying to cook up scenarios to go from pick 20.

The Bears coverage has been dominated by Caleb vs Fields but we really don't have any indication how Poles views Maye or Daniels or what kind of compensation would sway him to drop down a spot and get his 2nd favorite guy.

Nothing here is conclusive but it's not some ridiculous conspiracy theory, either.   

I beg your pardon. That’s just preposterous to think anything could be remotely amiss here. Suggesting anything but caleb going to the bears #1 overall when you know damn well it’s as sure a thing as death and taxes, no ifs ands or buts about it. I won’t hear another word about it, and that’s that.

• Haha 1

I don't think we are trading up to get Williams. I believe Peters is going to build through the draft, but definitely take a QB at 2, and fill our roster needs with all of our picks. For EVERYONE on the board here, I'm just going to say this. We put our faith in RG3, and it didn't work out. The people on here have ptsd from the RG3 era and don't want to draft Jayden Daniels. The same people on here who want to draft Maye were ALL in on Howell last season.  I'm a diehard fan for Uva,  even though they suck at football. I have seen plenty of ACC football last year, and Drake Maye is not the QB that is going to translate well to the NFL. His mechanics is all messed up. I'm just going to say this, and I'm not even trying to be funny, if Daniel Jones and Zach Wilson have a baby then you will will get Drake Maye.

• Like 2

Just for the record here are my current predictions:

Draft Maye at 2 overall - 45% chance

Trade up for Caleb - 30% chance

Draft Daniels at 2 overall- 20% chance

Anything else - 5% chance

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Let me throw something else out there:

Caleb doesn't have an agent. It's a tight circle. Dad a big presence. You know the physical talent is there but are wondering about the mental side.

Maybe Ryan Poles has concerns about managing the mental side but Magic Johnson has a certain level of gravitas and respect from the Williams camp that only a few legendary OGs "command" (no pun intended), and thus our staff is more comfortable with the mental side.

We talk all the time about how the situation is just as important as the player to have success. Is it so ridiculous the vastly different situations may be influencing the evals a bit here?

Magic has zero say in who we draft. If GMAP and DQ think that Caleb's potential diva attitude and helicopter dad are going to be too much of a headache and distraction for the team, then we probably aren't seriously considering trading up for him, whether Magic is chummy with pops or not.

3 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I have seen plenty of ACC football last year, and Drake Maye is not the QB that is going to translate well to the NFL. His mechanics is all messed up. I'm just going to say this, and I'm not even trying to be funny, if Daniel Jones and Zach Wilson have a baby then you will will get Drake Maye.

There is coming in swinging and there is THAT

200.gif.3884838708078b2743aafb71a4a6626b.gif

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Draft Maye at 2 overall - 45% chance

Trade up for Caleb - 30% chance

Draft Daniels at 2 overall- 20% chance

Anything else - 5% chance

48% Maye

48 % Daniels

2% Caleb

2% anything else

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Magic has zero say in who we draft. If GMAP and DQ think that Caleb's potential diva attitude and helicopter dad are going to be too much of a headache and distraction for the team, then we probably aren't seriously considering trading up for him, whether Magic is chummy with pops or not.

I think the ownership group, FO, and HC are all in good communication and collaboration and the conversation would go like this:

AP/DQ: Hey, we think Caleb has all the talent in the world but we know there are lots of distractions for someone of his pedigree. What's your take on the family, Magic?

EMJ: Carl is a bit overbearing but it comes from a loving place. Caleb is emotional but an earnest and good kid. Doesn't run around with a bad crowd. I'm not concerned.

AP/DQ: Great let's try and go get him!

Meanwhile convo in the Williams household:

Carl: Son, look what Magic did transitioning from playing career to being a businessman. He's a role model! Think about the opportunities to learn from a guy like that.

Caleb: I love it! Btw, which shade of blue do you think looks better? <holds up two fingers: one painted navy and one painted cyan. "F * * * M A R A" written on his knuckles in Sharpie>

Caleb's phone: <missed call from Ryan Poles>

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Caleb then canceled the Top 30 visit, deciding he didn't want to play ball with Poles' timeline.

Caleb already made Poles look like a chump. Poles said at the combine he doesn’t want to keep Fields in a grey area and wants to settle his situation at the very start of the league year. His cancelling that top 30 visit is pretty massive. 

I think as we get closer to the draft, Caleb’s camp will say they are not happy with how the bears treated Fields and they don’t want to go there. Eli’s camp pretty much said the same about the Chargers handling of Drew Brees.  

Regardless, it will be an interesting 6 weeks as free agency slows down. NFL is the best year round entertainment there is 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't even know what exactly what happened.

I do know even Mariota knows he ain't QB1 jus cause he's only QB on the roster right now...

tis.gif

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, CapsSkins said:

I think the ownership group, FO, and HC are all in good communication and collaboration and the conversation would go like this:

AP/DQ: Hey, we think Caleb has all the talent in the world but we know there are lots of distractions for someone of his pedigree. What's your take on the family, Magic?

EMJ: Carl is a bit overbearing but it comes from a loving place. Caleb is emotional but an earnest and good kid. Doesn't run around with a bad crowd. I'm not concerned.

AP/DQ: Great let's try and go get him!

Meanwhile convo in the Williams household:

Carl: Son, look what Magic did transitioning from playing career to being a businessman. He's a role model! Think about the opportunities to learn from a guy like that.

Caleb: I love it! Btw, which shade of blue do you think looks better? <holds up two fingers: one painted navy and one painted cyan. "F * * * M A R A" written on his knuckles in Sharpie" 

Sure, communication between the ownership and GM/HC is nice and all. But do we really want them basing much of their decision making on what one of the owners thinks and wants? Haven't we been down this road before?

I think they might ask his opinion on Caleb and his dad, but it won't take any more precedence than other people they talk to. I doubt it will be "OMG Magic says he's A-OK so that's all we need! Guess it's time to give up a haul to move up for him!"

If Magic says nice things it will probably be "Thanks for the input, duly noted" and they'll put it in the binder with the other research and opinions on the issue.