Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Jesus, I didn't realize that this thread required body armor if you wanted to weigh in. 

High levels of skepticism are generally a great thing when weighing the biggest of decisions; however, it does seem like once you get in the rarified air of being a top QB and @ top 5-10ish prospect, then the discussions are around what "CAN'T" they do, as opposed to what is their presumed super power and how can that be showcased. Inevitable AND necessary, of course.

I feel like, as a fan who doesn't have the acumen to evaluate film, I could be talked into being happy with any of these 3 players. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah for sure. Its a balancing act. Do you pay a little extra to make sure your prized rookie gets an experienced vet in the QB room with him? There isn't really anything Howell can teach him, he's not at that stage of his career.

How much would it cost to keep Jacoby Brissett around?

Pretty sure we have the $$...

Oh that’s gonna be fun when we take Daniels at #2 and the Giants move up and take Maye at #3 :rofl89:

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Mahomes was not that highly regarded as a prospect. He was considered super boom or bust and a big time risk pick. Obviously it panned out but I remember a lot of "What!?" responses when t he Chiefs moved up to get him.

I think there’s a good lesson in there somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

How much would it cost to keep Jacoby Brissett around?

Pretty sure we have the $$...

He can probably grab another 1 yr 10 Mil off of somebody.

It might not be about money tho. He might want to go somewhere where he is given more of an opportunity.

He is good enough to find a team that will offer him a spot where he is just about penciled in as a starter.

Now, if he is content being a backup/mentor, I got no issue dangling a 1 yr $8 M and essentially pay him to hang around my young QB. There are a lot of QB vets that want no part of helping out a young guy so you can't just bring in any vet and expect everything to work out. Jacoby has proven time and time again to be the opposite.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Cool. Everyone that I trust that has done breakdowns disagrees with you. 

And having a strong arm certainly didnt help RG3 have a longterm career as a starter...nor Zach Wilson and countless others.

I'm truly shocked that the Disciples of Daniels think he's the best thing since sliced bread and does everything better than RG3.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm truly shocked that the Disciples of Daniels think he's the best thing since sliced bread and does everything better than RG3.

Honestly it’s an insult to Jayden to compare him to RG3. Lamar is the better comparison and something I’ve been saying in this thread. Jayden is a leader of men and his work ethic far surpasses anything RG3 brought to the table. Jayden is not a diva and is going to be a coaches dream. He just needs to stay healthy and avoid injury. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Honestly it’s an insult to Jayden to compare him to RG3. Lamar is the better comparison and something I’ve been saying in this thread. Jayden is a leader of men and his work ethic far surpasses anything RG3 brought to the table. Jayden is not a diva and is going to be a coaches dream. He just needs to stay healthy and avoid injury. 

Annnnnd case in point. Jayden is the greatest and may legitimately walk on water.  :ols: 

I'm cool with it as long as you don't pretend to be unbiased.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

The difference was when we drafted Young #2 we had used a first round draft pick on a QB the year before - and that QB had played well the last couple of games of his rookie season. 

There was some logic to not taking a QB #2 overall a year later. 

With hindsight a key mistake that doomed Ron from the get go. 

Agree.  Night and day difference.

They just drafted a QB in the first the draft before who was the owner's pet pick, and actually played decently his last two games his rookie season.  QB didn't feel on the table.

I'd add Herbert and Tua didn't have the same hype at the time that Maye and Daniels have now

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Annnnnd case in point. Jayden is the greatest and may legitimately walk on water.  :ols: 

I'm cool with it as long as you don't pretend to be unbiased.

I’m not saying he is the greatest and can walk on water, I just think his ceiling is through the roof. I just have my opinion and try to back it up with stats and videos. Is there a chance he is a bust? Absolutely. There’s a myriad of reasons that could be the case, but all the things are there for him to be a franchise QB and successful in the league. 

• Like 3

image.jpeg.688b522b92cf916ff68013cab278c150.jpeg
This man can do no wrong, he ****s gold and pisses excellence. You’re all just blind to the greatness that is the future of the NFL. He makes RG3 look like RGpeewee. He only stayed in college for five years in order to let mahommes get some rings before his arrival. He doesn’t throw in the middle of the field because that’s a waste of time and too easy. The only negative about him is he has no negatives. 

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah for sure. Its a balancing act. Do you pay a little extra to make sure your prized rookie gets an experienced vet in the QB room with him? There isn't really anything Howell can teach him, he's not at that stage of his career.

Are there any vets floating around who previously ran a Kliff-esque offense?  Cause if not I'm not sure if there's a ton of value in paying a vet to come in and be a backup when backup qb money is usually like starter money for lots of other positions.

If there's no actual mentor backup qbs out there then I'd be fine with trusting in the coaches to do the job on teaching them.

• Like 1

One thing I have heard about Daniels is that he seems to have really put the pieces together in the last 10 games or so.

So both sides probably have some merit, because his good tape while recent isn't super long.

I like the skillset he's seemed to develop.  Next thing I wanna see is can he add 10 pounds to his frame in the right places.

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

I’m not saying he is the greatest and can walk on water, I just think his ceiling is through the roof. I just have my opinion and try to back it up with stats and videos. Is there a chance he is a bust? Absolutely. There’s a myriad of reasons that could be the case, but all the things are there for him to be a franchise QB and successful in the league. 

Jayden isn't like Lamar. Lamar is faster, more agile, can avoid hits, has a much bigger arm, and can distribute the ball to any level of the field (something Daniels may be able to do, but doesn't do much of currently).

That being said, Lamar does tend to disappear a bit when defenses can scheme away his running. Hopefully Daniels can avoid that trap.

And honestly, I just hope this whole debate can be put to rest when we pick Maye at #2.

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mh86 said:

image.jpeg.688b522b92cf916ff68013cab278c150.jpeg
This man can do no wrong, he ****s gold and pisses excellence. You’re all just blind to the greatness that is the future of the NFL. He makes RG3 look like RGpeewee. He only stayed in college for five years in order to let mahommes get some rings before his arrival. He doesn’t throw in the middle of the field because that’s a waste of time and too easy. The only negative about him is he has no negatives. 

Laura Witcher on LinkedIn: #interview #advice #recruitment ...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Am I the only one who wants to draft a QB at #2 (Daniels) but also start the season with Howell as QB1?

Nope...ish.

I think there should be a competition but I'd lean towards giving Howell the first 5-8 games.  Let the new guy see the game for a bit.

56 minutes ago, Bantu said:

I feel like, as a fan who doesn't have the acumen to evaluate film, I could be talked into being happy with any of these 3 players. 

Which is the absolute reality. There are 3 guys at the top of the draft of have a real shot at being an NFL franchise QB. We will draft one of them and I will be happy with whoever the folks payed big bucks to make that decision go with. I'm starting to have my preference (Maye) but what I know and $5 dollars will get you a Latte.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Am I the only one who wants to draft a QB at #2 (Daniels) but also start the season with Howell as QB1?

I get the point but dont see how we can have an opinion on it in advance.  If Howell looks much sharper in camp, I get it run with Howell until the QB is ready.  If the young QB is killing it in camp and looks better than Howell -- then I don't get the point of starting Howell regardless.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Are there any vets floating around who previously ran a Kliff-esque offense?  Cause if not I'm not sure if there's a ton of value in paying a vet to come in and be a backup when backup qb money is usually like starter money for lots of other positions.

If there's no actual mentor backup qbs out there then I'd be fine with trusting in the coaches to do the job on teaching them.

We signed one. David Blough who was with Kingsbury in Arizona and is 28. He's the assistant QB coach.

• Like 2