Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, philibusters said:

So I didn't listen to the latest Paulsen-Hoffman episode, but Keim had Paulsen on  his podcast a month, maybe a month a half ago and they discussed.   Paulsen said to the extent there is a downside, it changes the reads for the QB.  If a WR on one side then he is on the other, it does change the reads and leverages of the play and maybe you don't want to overwhlem a first year starter.  But at the time I don't think he fully agreed with not using more motion, but Keim explicitly asked him what the downsides are and he said the downsides is it puts more on the QB's plates because he has know his reads if the WR is here and a different set of reads and leverages if the WR is there.

Not sure I buy that. The QB knows where the WR is going to end with the motion. So he knows what side/progression/concept he’s working based on where the motion ends not where it starts. 

The motion helps disguise formation (and from that gives the D less time to process what is possibly coming based on down and distance and tendency) and also gives some man/zone tells based on how the D reacts.

It also helps you get a receiver a cleaner release if he’s on the move - harder to jam.

Edit - I guess the only downside I can see for a young QB is motion adds more verbiage to the play call - and a WCO if very wordy to start with. But I can’t see that being the reason to limit its use.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not sure I buy that. The QB knows where the WR is going to end with the motion. So he knows what side/progression/concept he’s working based on where the motion ends not where it starts. 

The motion helps disguise formation (and from that gives the D less time to process what is possibly coming based on down and distance and tendency) and also gives some man/zone tells based on how the D reacts.

It also helps you get a receiver a cleaner release if he’s on the move - harder to jam.

Edit - I guess the only downside I can see for a young QB is motion adds more verbiage to the play call - and a WCO if very wordy to start with. But I can’t see that being the reason to limit its use.

I don't know how it works.  Are motions pre-determined so you always run motions on the same play or they added to existing plays as the OC and QB determine?

26 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't know how it works.  Are motions pre-determined so you always run motions on the same play or they added to existing plays as the OC and QB determine?

They can be added to any play to disguise formation etc. But they are always pre determined in that weeks game plan. But mainly it’s part of play design.

The QBs calling it in the huddle as called by the OC from that weeks play sheet - the QB is not adding motions to plays on the fly. The language to call them is part of the teams playbook. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

You limit the use of motion when you’re afraid the receivers don’t know it/aren’t good at it or it’s just not a part of what you want to do. Paulsen says a lot of strange things.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You limit the use of motion when you’re afraid the receivers don’t know it/aren’t good at it or it’s just not a part of what you want to do. Paulsen says a lot of strange things.

I know Peyton Manning didn't like to use motion. He like to get to the line get set and use that time to look over how the defense set up - he wanted then the time to check to something based on that alignment or stay with what was called. He felt motion gave him less time to do that because he had to wait for the defense to adjust to the motion. But then the Colts rarely even huddled - everything was called at the line.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I know Peyton Manning didn't like to use motion. He like to get to the line get set and use that time to look over how the defense set up - he wanted then the time to check to something based on that alignment or stay with what was called. He felt motion gave him less time to do that because he had to wait for the defense to adjust to the motion. But then the Colts rarely even huddled - everything was called at the line.

A couple things about this:

1.  Peyton, Edge, Harrison, Wayne…that’s 3 HOFers and 1 possible.  We don’t have a pro bowler.  😕
2.  this is not the 90s.  It’s a copy cat league and RPO offenses utilizing motion can mask a lot of weaknesses and capitalize easier on mismatches when used appropriately.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

A couple things about this:

1.  Peyton, Edge, Harrison, Wayne…that’s 3 HOFers and 1 possible.  We don’t have a pro bowler.  😕
2.  this is not the 90s.  It’s a copy cat league and RPO offenses utilizing motion can mask a lot of weaknesses and capitalize easier on mismatches when used appropriately.  

I wasn’t suggesting not using motion was a blueprint we’d want to follow! Peyton was something of an outlier in his preference - not many QBs then, now or ever did as much as at the line (or sometimes pretended to …) as Peyton.

• Like 2

Just now, MartinC said:

I wasn’t suggesting not using motion was a blueprint we’d want to follow! Peyton was something of an outlier in his preference - not many QBs then, now or ever did as much as at the line (or sometimes pretended to …) as Peyton.

Gotcha.  Peyton was a rare breed of qb…one entirely capable of calling a game himself with no oc help.  Not too many of those cerebral types with the talent to match.  He was definitely an example of top tier pocket qbing 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah its obvious our offensive scheme is trash. We don't maximize our best players or strategize/gameplan to get them the ball in optimal situations.

Can't believe EB is actually WORSE than Scott Turner. How the heck do we downgrade from that garbage...

We think Andy is really cool and we want him to be our friend and his ideas for helping us out sound awesome when he says it

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

this is another topic from Paulsen-Hoffman the lack of motion.  they've talked about how motion for various reasons made some of their opponents harder to defend

So sad to see that the top 3 are ex-Redskins asst. coaches.. :( 

Edited by zCommander

The O line isn't that bad and PFF has their back on this crowd.... 

Now the 26th ranked unit from the outfit that supposedly loves it the most. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-week-14-2023

26. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS (DOWN 2)

Projected starters entering bye:

LT Charles Leno Jr.
LG Chris Paul
C 
Tyler Larsen
RG Sam Cosmi
RT Andrew Wylie

• Giving up 14 total pressures — including three sacks — on 29 dropbacks, the Washington offensive line ranked just 24th out of 26 teams in pass-blocking efficiency in Week 13.
  • Chris Paul’s 29.6 pass-blocking grade this season ranks just 72nd out of 76 guards in the NFL.
Best player: Sam Cosmi
  • Cosmi earned an 88.4 pass-blocking grade against the Dolphins, which led all offensive linemen — regardless of position — in Week 13.
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Hope. Which is seldom a sound strategy. 

No doubt.  Feel like we also heard last year that the DT’s thought he was the toughest IOL to beat, or something to that effect.  In Training camp I think?  I could be misremembering, but that was my where my sliver of hope stemmed from.  Well, that and him not being Norwell.  Or Charles.  Alas…

• Like 1

The way i look at this is answering a question of "Do I (you) think Sam Howell is better than or will be better than Baker Mayfield. My answer is no. You dont have a top 3-5 pick that often even if you really suck like we did the last 4 years. You have to swing for the QB if you dont have one that is automatically a potential elite qb. I bring up Mayfield bc to me the look and play similar AND Tampa will be in the market to draft a QB in the teens. If we let them land a potential MVP qb and we stuck with a Mayfield type then chalk that up as another team that we fall behind.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Again, I think most agree that if there is an eliteQB prospect that the team feels is a can’t miss guy, you take him.

The debate here isn’t really centered on that.

It’s 1) is there a guy that IS an elite prospect? The media sure thinks so. I think maybe Jayden Daniels. I’m not sold on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

2) What is the best usage of assets for this team’s growth?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, I think most agree that if there is an eliteQB prospect that the team feels is a can’t miss guy, you take him.

It’s 1) is there a guy that IS an elite prospect? The media sure thinks so. I think maybe Jayden Daniels. I’m not sold on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

Answer:  Totally agree.  Jayden Daniels if they draft is the best of the lot.

Answer:  Draft Jayden Daniels, if you can.  We still have Howell on the roster for 2024 & 2025 as backup or a trading chip, if Jayden works out.  Then use 2 or 3 of your next 4 picks on OL, one of those picks on an EDGE or LB.  FA will allow you to fill a couple of holes too. 

Edited by RWJ

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Guys like Jayden Daniels that come out of nowhere and shoot up draft boards based on one season of results give me pause.

Didn't that happen with another LSU QB a few years ago (Jamarcus Russell)?

No thanks!

1 minute ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Burrow??

Exception rather than the rule. 

Others who shot up out of nowhere, got taken early and then flamed out include Zack Wilson, Trey Lance off the top of my head. There are countless others - I'll do more research when I have more time.

I truly have no idea how they will approach Howell for next year if we have a high pick.  My question is whether or not y'all think we could trade Howell for something decent in the off-season.  What do you think we could get?

Please don't respond with "why would you be so stupid".... I'm not advocating that we trade him, just curious what his value would be...

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Haha 1