Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

And it’s probably a cop out but I need to see the remaining games before making a decision on who I want playing QB next year. 

I had REALLY low expectations for Sam coming into this year and he’s crushed those. I genuinely think he can eventually be in that Kirk Cousins/Derek Carr/Jared Goff/Matt Stafford tier. Right below the elite guys. That’s extremely valuable especially the next 2 seasons. 

Only way I’d want another QB next year is if they had a legit chance at a guy either already elite or that they believe will eventually be elite. So I’ll leave it up to the football guys they bring in. But if they can’t find a unicorn (and they likely won’t) then hell yeah, let’s roll with Sam and improve this team in important meaningful ways and compete next year. He can definitely win a division. I’m not looking to rebuild as much as retool. 

I'd love to see us bring in Higgins to give Howell another large target. Mike Evans would fit the bill as well, but he's 6 years older, so the preference is clearly Higgins. With $ to spend in free agency and a decent WR market, I would hope we'd be considering that kind of investment. I don't see much in the OL free agency market. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

And it’s probably a cop out but I need to see the remaining games before making a decision on who I want playing QB next year. 

I had REALLY low expectations for Sam coming into this year and he’s crushed those. I genuinely think he can eventually be in that Kirk Cousins/Derek Carr/Jared Goff/Matt Stafford tier. Right below the elite guys. That’s extremely valuable especially the next 2 seasons. 

Only way I’d want another QB next year is if they had a legit chance at a guy either already elite or that they believe will eventually be elite. So I’ll leave it up to the football guys they bring in. But if they can’t find a unicorn (and they likely won’t) then hell yeah, let’s roll with Sam and improve this team in important meaningful ways and compete next year. He can definitely win a division. I’m not looking to rebuild as much as retool. 

I just want the entire organization on the same page and I dont want the owner forcing Howell on anyone.

If the new regime is good with Howell then so am I

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I feel if you give him a semi decent oline- he looks way better than he already does.  His composure and delivery with a historically bad oline is and constant pressure is crazy.  With that I give him to 5 potential.

boneheaded plays but he has also shown the ability on next play rather than harping on mistakes which he’s shown numerous times this year.  Really think we will regret moving on to a different qb next year

16 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Looks to me like the sudden drop in sacks is more of a game plan change than anything else. More short yardage quick hitters and available hot reads ,which is great but also makes you wonder why they didn’t do it earlier. 🤷‍♂️

Yes the six week delay in crucial, obvious adjustments for EB is my biggest problem with him and is almost a disqualifier for me. Adaptability and building the scheme around the roster’s strengths and weaknesses is one of my biggest things for a playcaller. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I'd love to see us bring in Higgins to give Howell another large target. Mike Evans would fit the bill as well, but he's 6 years older, so the preference is clearly Higgins. With $ to spend in free agency and a decent WR market, I would hope we'd be considering that kind of investment. I don't see much in the OL free agency market. 

Thats something this offense is missing, a large target, wether WR or TE. Thomas is probably the closest we have to that large target but he lacks top tier athleticism. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Conn said:

You have high potential as a poster (we don’t get too many new active contributors here each year so the new voices stick out to me) but insist on only posting ****eyed QB posts. Branch out, we know how you feel about Howell. Until we all have more info there’s really nothing more to be said from your POV on it. It comes across very singleminded and biased.

…what? We’re seeing more variety in playcalling and especially run/pass sequencing in the past two weeks than we saw the entire season prior to that. We are not seeing less variety. Larsen not screwing the pooch on protections like Gates was helps as well, of course.

Like I said. Maybe post about some other stuff and build a rep as a reputable thinker because you’re dropping some duds in here. 

Maybe he's one of our ex QB's

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, dckey said:

Does anyone give any credit to EB for Howell?????  

sorry but not really. He actively made Howell’s life difficult for 6+ weeks before making adjustments that were obvious to everyone here. What Howell is doing seems like a natural continuation of what he showed in week 17 last year—I don’t think EB is doing anything particularly special to make his life easier. The massive amount of pass game reps he’s getting are a help for sure, the next staff will be thankful if Howell stays healthy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Little bit but he took too long to change to the more quick pass offense

Could also be howell starting to learn more and more.  He’s not holding the ball as long, keeping eyes downfield, throwing away.  He’s still under pressure constantly.  I think it’s a combination of Howell learning and bienemy adjusting slightly.  Oline adjustment should have been done a long time ago though

• Like 1

Just now, dckey said:

He is getting better lately but EB was scheaming Howell for failure dialing up long plays when it was obvious the OLine needed shuffling. Hence the record setting sacks through 8 games. That being said their successes and failures are interlinked so he gets credit for the past few games for sure IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, dckey said:

Do and don't.  I think Sam has had to learn a lot on his own.  (Especially that he can't depend on his o-line.)  They were great today, but up against a team that couldn't protect their own QB for the first half of the season.

It's a win, but it's Howell figuring stuff out.  And he'll be the better man for it. 

• Like 2

anyone has stats on pressures and sacks by down and distance?  Curious to see if the first half was more long situations where maybe Howell was looking at longer routes vs the underneath.  Seem to recall a few where he missed the under target and went with the more downfield when he got it out so wondering if he’s adjusted that mentality as well

3 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Theres "cool" as a player but man howell takes it to a whole nother level. Looks completely aloof out there. Just absolutely zero emotion in any direction. Not a fan of it. Smile a bit. Be angry a bit. Look like youre having fun at least.

Maybe they should send him to Charm School in the offseason. Would that get you on the bandwagon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Theres "cool" as a player but man howell takes it to a whole nother level. Looks completely aloof out there. Just absolutely zero emotion in any direction. Not a fan of it. Smile a bit. Be angry a bit. Look like youre having fun at least.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Sam Howell Apology Form To: Sam Howell From: Date: 11/5/23 Reason for behavior: The media convinced me he wasn't ready didn't watch the actual games only looked at advanced analytics don't know football |was jealous of Sam Mercury was in retrograde will hereby respect Sam Howell and will NOT talk down on the future first-ballot Hali of Famer. Your apology needs to be as loud as your disrespect was'

• Haha 13

29 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I doubt Higgins won't hit free agency.  The Bengals would franchise and trade him before they let him free agency.  Realistically I think the Bengals work out a contract, but just because of the way the position works, if the Bengals franchise him, they could probably trade him for a first, second at worst.

26 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thats something this offense is missing, a large target, wether WR or TE. Thomas is probably the closest we have to that large target but he lacks top tier athleticism. 

Totally agree with this.  I see folks putting Sam in the same category with Carr and Stafford but I feel like with a couple more weapons and a better oline and the right coaching he has the potential to be a elite QB in this league.  

• Like 1