Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wow…..so Matt Ryan and Carson wentz both haven’t turned out well for their teams this year. Wouldn’t have thought over the summer that that would be possible at all. 

I haven't watched much of the Colts, so I'm not sure if Ryan has been as bad as people are saying. The Colts have the same problem we do though, a putrid OL, with the added benefit of having very, very few offensive weapons. Carson has a far better supporting cast here in terms of skill position players, so I'd say he's been the more disappointing of the two.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Reich named Ehlinger the starter for the rest of the season, so Ryan's injury is irrelevant.

Did a Wiki read-up on ex-Longhorn Ehlinger.  He's been through some tragedy the last couple years.  His dad died of a heart attack during a triathlon when Ehlinger was 14.  Then in 2020, his younger brother, a linebacker for the University of Texas, died of an accidental overdose of Xanax laced with fentanyl.

His NFL.com scouting report could have been written - word for word - about Taylor Heinicke!!! :

They don't come much tougher than Ehlinger at the position, and his intangibles are as good as you could ask for. He's a very average passer, but can deliver most throws with good enough accuracy and velocity to hit the open target. He doesn't have a plus arm and could struggle to fit throws into tight windows or make big completions throwing on the move. His deep ball accuracy is a step below average but he's fairly effective throwing with anticipation on intermediate routes. He's not an explosive runner, although he gets tough yards on a consistent basis as a scrambler and on called runs. His 2019 tape is a better study of his potential, but career backup looks like his ceiling.

Edited by Dan T.

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We match up well with Colts Ryan or not. I think we win this one.  I expect the defense up front to play really well this week.

A 2 game win streak, heinecke looking sharp to close the game, now the colts starting ehlinger, perfect recipe to come out flat and let a winnable game slip through our fingers.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Did a Wiki read-up on him.  He's been through some tragedy the last couple years.  His dad died of a heart attack during a triathlon when Ehlinger was 14.  Then in 2020, his younger brother, a linebacker for the University of Texas, died of an accidental overdose of Xanax laced with fentanyl.

His NFL.com scouting report could have been written - word for word - about Taylor Heinicke!!! :

They don't come much tougher than Ehlinger at the position, and his intangibles are as good as you could ask for. He's a very average passer, but can deliver most throws with good enough accuracy and velocity to hit the open target. He doesn't have a plus arm and could struggle to fit throws into tight windows or make big completions throwing on the move. His deep ball accuracy is a step below average but he's fairly effective throwing with anticipation on intermediate routes. He's not an explosive runner, although he gets tough yards on a consistent basis as a scrambler and on called runs. His 2019 tape is a better study of his potential, but career backup looks like his ceiling.

So basically he's about to have a monster game.

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Did a Wiki read-up on ex-Longhorn Ehlinger.  He's been through some tragedy the last couple years.  His dad died of a heart attack during a triathlon when Ehlinger was 14.  Then in 2020, his younger brother, a linebacker for the University of Texas, died of an accidental overdose of Xanax laced with fentanyl.

So instead of the Carson Revenge Bowl we have the Battle Of The Gritty Backups. Cue the heroic theme music.

• Haha 6

Colts fans are excited (which is a little ironic since they have been so happy to blame Carson for everything bad last year).  I looked over at their forum.  A few quotes:

"Sam is exactly like Hurts. Reich needs to put some eagles tape in a design a similar offense. "

"This just feels like the time Aaron Rodgers took over for Favre! Im stoked!"

"Watch this is going to help Taylor. Because Sam is a threat to take off. Just like Wentz was."

"I told you guys the coaching staff sees players every day in practice they knew from day one Sam is special .  He’s been lighting up every practice .    This is the same situation the eagles were in with hurts . The colts are now a playoff team "

Guess our Defense might be in trouble... Sounds like this Sam guy is the next Hurts.... lol

• Haha 2

Man, kinda bummed that there's not going to be a Wentz/Ryan battle when we play the Colts.

I guess the best way to settle this would to have Irsay and Snyder fight to the death at midfield during halftime.  And while Snyder is younger, he's a ****ing ****.  Irsay has some city miles on him, but I think he wins.

Which means we'd all win.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

I can't help but notice that everyone's effort is so much better with Heineke as the starter. He doesn't have the arm and sometimes loses his mind, but man, does he get the troops in line. Prior to this week, our team looked like a bunch of zombies.

That would only be a surprise to someone who hasn't played or coached football from childhood to High School at least.  Football is a very emotional game.  Players rally around the guy who refuses to quit and who can find a way to make something happen when everything goes to crap.  It's infectious!  Unfortunately, the player who gets down on himself can also infect a team with a feeling of fatalism.  Believing that something bad will happen is usually a self-fulfilling prophecy.  So is believing something good will happen. 

When you can combine those intangibles with talent you have Patrick Mahomes as your QB.  When you just have the intangibles, you get Taylor Heinicke. 

It's doubtful that he'll ever win a super bowl but an offense led by Heinicke is the most enjoyable (for me) since Kyle Shanahan flustered DC's with the college RPO in 2012.  That's been ten years of bleh except for a few good Kurt Cousins games.   My expectations for a Dan Snyder owned football team are so low that this is about the best we can expect.  

8 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Colts fans are excited (which is a little ironic since they have been so happy to blame Carson for everything bad last year).  I looked over at their forum.  A few quotes:

"Sam is exactly like Hurts. Reich needs to put some eagles tape in a design a similar offense. "

"This just feels like the time Aaron Rodgers took over for Favre! Im stoked!"

"Watch this is going to help Taylor. Because Sam is a threat to take off. Just like Wentz was."

"I told you guys the coaching staff sees players every day in practice they knew from day one Sam is special .  He’s been lighting up every practice .    This is the same situation the eagles were in with hurts . The colts are now a playoff team "

Guess our Defense might be in trouble... Sounds like this Sam guy is the next Hurts.... lol

Looks like the Denial stage of Grief after wasting Peyton and Andrew Luck back to back...

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Looks like the Denial stage of Grief after wasting Peyton and Andrew Luck back to back...

They got a ring with Manning, I wouldn't say he was wasted there.  Now if your argument is that they should have won more, I might be inclined to agree.

Andrew Luck was...bad...um...luck.  I don't think anyone saw the injuries coming and the desire to retire that early.

20 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

So instead of the Carson Revenge Bowl we have the Battle Of The Gritty Backups. Cue the heroic theme music.

Or battle of the ****s.  Better yet, Battle of the **** Backups.

I just hope the defense will break the curse of allowing another team's backup to take them to the woodshed.  Just once I'd like to see our defense feast on a new QB!  

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

They got a ring with Manning, I wouldn't say he was wasted there.  Now if your argument is that they should have won more, I might be inclined to agree.

Absolutely, and has more first round exits then super bowl appearance with Indy, totally wasted him.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Andrew Luck was...bad...um...luck.  I don't think anyone saw the injuries coming and the desire to retire that early.

It's not bad luck when they insited on not investing in oline to help protect him.  Remember, he retired because he was tired of getting banged up so badly as season went on and taking longer into offseason to recover, and it wasn't jus because he was a running QB.

Cincy bought to go through same thing with Burrow...

To go from a HOF QB to #1 overall pick who actually hits and get one ring out of it?  Right up their with the Packers in wasting QB talent this century.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s wild how quickly the narrative changes.  It feels like less than two weeks ago Ryan led a GW drive and he was being heralded as the hall of famer they knew he was when they traded for him.

Honestly it feels like Irsay panicking because they are 1-3-1 within the division, and he wants to see what they have in Ehlinger going into next year.  

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Honestly it feels like Irsay panicking because they are 1-3-1 within the division, and he wants to see what they have in Ehlinger going into next year.  

3-3-1 actually. 1.5 games behind the titans, who aren’t much better. 

edit: thought you were talking about their overall record. Well, my point still stands, it’s not as if they have that much of a hill to climb to get into 1st place. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993