Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I am going to preface this by saying I want your guys takes on what I am about to say. Please don't turn it into a bash thing. Just looking for an honest take. I just rewatched the last series before the game ended in regulation. Here are my notes:

1:17 with 3 TO
1st play run for 7
2nd play pass to Terry for a 1st and he steps out of bounds stopping the clock. 47 seconds remaining.

Kenny Albert: Need 35 yards to get into kicking range. 

3rd play to Gibson over the middle for a 1st down. Called a TO. 39 seconds left. Ball is at our 38 yard line. 

4th play. Taylor throws to Terry but it is an incomplete. Still have 2 TO. Now 35 seconds left. 

5th play. Throw to Terry hits his hands and wiggles out as he is trying to get a grip on the ball. Now it is 3rd down and 10. Still have 2 TO left. 29 seconds left. 

6th play. Taylor is getting rushed and he throws from his back foot to Sims and it is broken up by Fabian and Fabian lands on his back and the ball hits his hands and he is not able to control so incomplete and no INT. 

We STILL have TWO TO LEFT!!! 

This is where I feel Turner's fail comes in on this serie. On 2nd and 10 it should have been a run to make the 3rd down more manageable if not able to get the 1st down. Or a pass in the middle just beyond the line of scrimmage and let your play maker try to get some yards as you still had 2 TO left. Turner goes cute and the game goes into OT.  Needed to exploit the middle on a crossing route or something. 

Not saying Taylor should have made better throws but Turner also pushed his QB in the corner a bit as well. 

Thoughts?

Edited by zCommander

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am going to preface this by saying I want your guys takes on what I am about to say. Please don't turn it into a bash thing. Just looking for an honest take. I just rewatched the last series before the game ended in regulation. Here are my notes:

1st play run for 7
2nd play pass to Terry for a 1st and he steps out of bounds stopping the clock. 47 seconds remaining.

3rd play to Gibson over the middle for a 1st down. Called a TO. 39 seconds left. Ball is at our 38 yard line. 

4th play. Taylor throws to Terry but it is an incomplete. Still have 2 TO. Now 35 seconds left. 

5th play. Throw to Terry hits his hands and wiggles out as he is trying to get a grip on the ball. Now it is 3rd down and 10. Still have 2 TO left. 29 seconds left. 

6th play. Taylor is getting rushed and he throws from his back foot to Sims and it is broken up by Fabian and Fabian lands on his back and the ball hits his hands and he is not able to control so incomplete and no INT. 

This is where I feel Turner's fail comes in on this serie. On 2nd and 10 it should have been a run to make the 3rd down more manageable if not able to get the 1st down. Or a pass in the middle just beyond the line of scrimmage and let your play maker try to get some yards as you still had 2 TO left. Turner goes cute and the game goes into OT.  Needed to exploit the middle on  on a crossing route or something. 

Not saying Taylor should have made better throws but Turner also pushed his QB in the corner a bit as well. 

Thoughts?

My thought is if they didn’t commit the ST penalty, they are starting at like their 45 instead of 24.  Only need about 15-20 yards to get in FG range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

My thought is if they didn’t commit the ST penalty, they are starting at like their 45 instead of 24.  Only need about 15-20 yards to get in FG range.

Yeah that really hurt. I was dumbfounded by that. We could have won the game too if it weren't for that.

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

1st play run for 7

This is where I feel Turner's fail comes in on this serie. On 2nd and 10 it should have been a run to make the 3rd down more manageable if not able to get the 1st down. Or a pass in the middle just beyond the line of scrimmage and let your play maker try to get some yards as you still had 2 TO left. Turner goes cute and the game goes into OT.  Needed to exploit the middle on a crossing route or something. 

Thoughts?

Sims mis timed his jump on that one too, not sure if anyone caught that. But that’s a fairly easy catch if he doesn’t. 

We were too sloppy today. Heineke was part of that but I think he did about as well as he could have behind that line. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Actually Mahomes almost had one in the 1st half that was dropped (I am watching the KC and CIN game right now) It was such a bad throw too with whole bunch of defenders around his WR as well.

I watch all of the games on TV every Sunday. I see a lot. Even the best of the best make mistakes or take chances. 

This is true, but the best of the best make enough positive plays to offset the bad plays, hence why they are the best.  It’s remarkable how often his throws are near picks, even the completions.  Anxiety levels are high when he lets it go.  Today particularly the Giants were sitting on everything.

The guy does have a knack for those magic like plays though, such as the 4th down to Samuel - that was just a thing of absolute beauty.  

It’s almost brutal that the guy wasn’t born with more physical tools, but maybe it’s those lack of physical tools that drive the moxie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The near safety in OT, by a free Thibodeaux, Heinicke took the blame for that one in his presser.  Assume it was a protection issue he was responsible for.  

One of the commentators said it was a shift call that should have either come from Heinicke or Martin. I'll guess that if the center did have responsibilities, Larsen probably would have handled it. Martin sucks so much that if it was a center's responsibility, I can believe that they put protection calls in Heinicke's hands after Larsen's injury and it got neglected by mistake.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

Heinicke wound up 27 of 41 for 275 yards. Two TDs no picks. Fumbled once, took 4 sacks. He missed a couple of throws but made a remarkable 4th down conversion to keep hope alive in the 4th quarter. He also held onto the ball when he was blasted at the goal line. This in a tough road game against a playoff contender, and without much help from his O-line.

I would count this as a pretty solid performance.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'd love for Ron to just once pretend to like TH...just once....none of this "he missed some throws" BS.   QB's miss throws....QB's throw off their back foot when under constant pressure.

How about praise him without the caveats?   How bout putting more blame on the pass pro?     

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Maybe he doesn’t enjoy watching Heinicke play QB just like most of us? 😆

I agree with that.  I'm pretty sure he's thinking to himself "I can't believe I have to keep playing this guy because of some freakin moxie the players seem to love"

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Heinicke wound up 27 of 41 for 275 yards. Two TDs no picks. Fumbled once, took 4 sacks. He missed a couple of throws but made a remarkable 4th down conversion to keep hope alive in the 4th quarter. He also held onto the ball when he was blasted at the goal line. This in a tough road game against a playoff contender, and without much help from his O-line.

I would count this as a pretty solid performance.

The Giants aren't a very good team, let's not kid ourselves. Heinicke certainly had a couple of good drives, including the one to tie the game and a magnificent play on 4th down. But for the rest of it he (and the offense) were basically completely flat. After the 1st quarter we scored 3 points through the rest of the game until the drive to tie it at the end.

IMO it was an overall underwhelming performance with a couple of highlight plays and drives. The first TD toss to Terry was a very nifty heads up play by TH and the 4th down pass was amazing. The rest of it was mostly blah with some nice intermediate passes sprinkled in.

He also almost managed to completely erase the amazing drive to tie the game by throwing 2 balls that should have been intercepted on the ensuing drive to try and win the game. Either one of those would probably have meant a Giants win. Luckily they weren't picked off, but it obviously concerned the coaches enough that they wouldn't put the game in Heinicke's hands (or arm) in OT.

It's awesome that we were able to come back and at least tie the game. But there's pretty much no way we'll be able to play like that against much better teams and live to tell about it. This grind it out, try to keep the score low, and win at the last minute style just isn't a lasting strategy.

5 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'd love for Ron to just once pretend to like TH...just once....none of this "he missed some throws" BS.   QB's miss throws....QB's throw off their back foot when under constant pressure.

How about praise him without the caveats?   How bout putting more blame on the pass pro?     

Taylor is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle constructive criticism. And I doubt Ron was talking about passes that were a bit high. He was probably talking about the 3-4 passes that were basically dropped interceptions.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Taylor is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle constructive criticism. And I doubt Ron was talking about passes that were a bit high. He was probably talking about the 3-4 passes that were basically dropped interceptions.

You mean the ones where he's throwing with a collapsed pocket?

4 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

One way to help the O-Line is with a screen game....We have the worst screen game in the history of the NFL.   I'd love for someone to ask him about that.

Seems fairly obvious.

TH can't go deep.

Opposing D gets to line up in the backfield as a result, as the field is compressed into a 15 yard box.

Screen plays are significantly harder to execute as a result. No need to rally up for the D, they are already in the area.

• Like 5