Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still think it's going to take us extra to get the trade to happen because we're such a ****hole franchise though. 

I'd love to sign Williams and Wagner to finish our defense and draft a RB and Oline and just plow over people all year, but if we trot out Taylor ****ing Heinicke again it won't matter. We have to get a QB or nothing else matters.

Right on!!!

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

There really are very few options open to Rivera. Last year he didn’t want to ‘mortgage the future’ as we still needed to build other pieces. Sadly we aren’t any further on as a roster 12 months later. That’s the biggest frustration.

Fitz was supposed to be the stop gap. Problem is we might end up looking for another stop gap in 2022. Prepare yourselves for a dose of Jimmy G perhaps. 

Since his free agent signings were essentially busts ; we are far away from really contending.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, wit33 said:

Those in support of acquiring for potential multiple draft picks and a player: why is it the Raiders would be willing to move him if it proves to be true. 

Not attempting to be condescending, just curious what you guys think. I’m somewhat on the other side, not extreme, as I do value average to good QB play at the right cost. 

I doubt they move him.

But if they did, new coach, new regime, rebuild.  the Raiders IMO have a long way to go.   Carr masks a lot of their issues IMO. Their defense isn't hot.  Their running game isn't hot.  Their O line isn't hot.  Crosby is a beast. Renfrow has been good. Waller is amazing.  But really they don't have a good roster IMO.  At least judging by twitter, many Raider fans don't think much of Mayock.

Carr is a good QB and he's slam dunk good IMO, I don't think its even a debatable point, he's not average by a long shot.  He's not elite.  It's not that Aaron Rodgers on his own can lift a crappy roster but I do think an elite QB can lift an average roster.   Carr isn't good enough IMO to lift that roster on his own.  But man is he trying.   They put their games on his shoulders and they do have a shot at the playoffs this season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Since his free agent signings were essentially busts ; we are far away from really contending.

Samuel got hurt.  It happens.  Hopefully he's back last year.  DeAndre Carter looks good. Ricky Seal Jones.  The trade for Flowers looks good.   William Jackson started off rough but he's playing well now.  Leno has been good.  McCain they got for peanuts and in that context he's been fine.

The previous year:  McKissic, Logan Thomas, Fuller, , Schwetizer, Lucas.

Overall for the last 2 years, Rivera's crop might be the best FA run we've had since that first crop from Gibbs though Gibbs next run of FAs after that were "meh"

Yeah it sucks Fitz got hurt.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Samuel got hurt.  It happens.  Hopefully he's back last year.  DeAndre Carter looks good. Ricky Seal Jones.  The trade for Flowers looks good.   William Jackson started off rough but he's playing well now.  Leno has been good.  McCain they got for peanuts and in that context he's been fine.

The previous year:  McKissic, Logan Thomas, Fuller, , Schwetizer, Lucas.

Overall for the last 2 years, Rivera's crop might be the best FA run we've had since that first crop from Gibbs though Gibbs next run of FAs after that were "meh"

Yeah it sucks Fitz got hurt.

What they need to get back to is focusing primarily on value free agents. This is where Ron & co have done especially well. I do love the depth this team has built over the past year. I know we are seeing it break down now but that is because we are on 3rd and 4th string in some cases vs 2nd string

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise posted a pretty good breakdown of how underrated Carr is recently.  Hes not a stat padding admiral check down like Kirk is. 

I respectuflly disagree he can't win a ring, im jus not sure how to prove that.  He's tied for 22nd all time in game winning drives, Kirk is tied for 62, but Matt Ryan and Stafford are 7th and 8th respectively.  Such an odder stat then I was expecting.

If you dive into Kirk, he's not the checkdown king.  He's usually high in YPA among other things.   I actually miss his deep throwing.  We've not had a guy like him who could throw the deep ball since IMO.  If anything, Heinicke is closer to being the checkdown king.   But I do think Carr and Kirk are apples to oranges which is the same point I made about Stafford versus Kirk last off season,

But I do think Kirk clouds the debate some about Carr. For three main reasons: 

A.  There is a lot of emotion from some fans about Kirk.  He's the girlfriend we broke up with that some still can't help talking about.  It was like that for RG3 into he faded.  But Kirk has taken the mantle.  And lol any QB who puts up big numbers yet the team isn't killing it gets grouped with Kirk and all that angst/emotion.

B.  I think the Kirk experience isn't that complicated.  What makes his a weird ride compared to most QBs is how streaky he is.  Hot.  Cold.  Cold.  Hot.  He could look like the best Qb in the league one week and the worst a week later.  More good games than bad games from him but the pendulum really swings hard with Kirk.  

C.  Clutch.  I think this is the key criticism of Kirk that he never overcame.  It's not that he never is clutch.  I'd take their win in the playoffs on the road against Brees and the Saints.  I'd take the clutch wins against the Eagles here in 2015.  But overall, he's been "meh" in big games and under the bright lights.

So bringing this to Carr.  I don't find Carr's run of games to be high Beta like Kirk.  Not as many ups and downs, back and forth.  And while Kirk is the not the dude I want playing in a big game with the season on the line.  Stafford was killer on that front in Detriot.  And Carr has been killer on that front with the Raiders.  I think more than anything the Kirk experience has created this premise with some that IMO is false which is who cares about monster numbers.  

Actually monster numbers aren't meaningless.  I recall on the Kirk thread some would make the case that Colt McCoy could put up the same numbers because it was all about "Jay Gruden's system".  I know the lauding of Jay's system and Colt now for some would feel nuts.  But yeah it was a viable argument that multiple people (not me) made on that thread.  IMO some people miss the forest for the trees when it comes to putting up big numbers.

Putting up big numbers do matter.   It's not everything but its certainly something.  You don't often see crappy QBs putting up monster numbers.  It's not like hey remember when Jason Campbell or John Friez or Heath Shuler threw for almost 5000 yards with a 3:1 QB-TD ratio, but who cares?  Who can't do it?    But yeah with Kirk it feels a bit warped not because he's a bad QB.  He's a good QB IMO, not great but good.  But he's not clutch and he's streaky.  Simple as that IMO. 

But every QB IMO is its own entity.  They are all different.  The reason why i thought Stafford would do well if you bring him to a good team is because he was a prolific QB and he made plays when it mattered.  Big time clutch.  People get hung up on the W-L record.  And sometimes IMO it applies.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Stafford is now 11-4.  He playing with a loaded roster.   Now he's all of a sudden a winner.  No shocker to me at all.

Carr IMO is just a hair lower than Stafford ability wise IMO.  And like Stafford he makes big plays in big moments.  And like Stafford he plays with a crappy roster where the whole team feels to be on his shoulders.  Coun't me as a dude who won't be shocked that all of a sudden Carr would be deemed a winner like Stafford is now if he played with a team with a good roster. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 8.52.18 AM.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, method man said:

What they need to get back to is focusing primarily on value free agents. This is where Ron & co have done especially well. I do love the depth this team has built over the past year. I know we are seeing it break down now but that is because we are on 3rd and 4th string in some cases vs 2nd string

If you go through the FAs signed over the last 20 years, its stunning how many failed.  But if you look at other teams (we've done this on the FA thread) many of them failed, too.  You get almost as many busts in FA than you do in the draft especially when you go bargain shopping.

As far as hits Ron has done better than most from what i observed.  Some we take for granted.  Among other things, they basically added a LT, swing tackle, and two really good guards for peanuts.  That's almost a whole O line.  That's actually unbelievable.  Signed Logan Thomas and McKissic for peanuts.  Carter and Seals Jones off the scrap heap, etc.

It stinks that Fitz and Samuel got hurt but unless Rivera himself tripped them and caused their injuries himself in practice, i am not blaming him for it.  Fitz wasn't an injury prone QB.  Samuel has been banged up here and there but nothing crazy.  

47 minutes ago, method man said:

Yep. If we can add more average players we should finally be able to achieve that .500 level were striving for.

Stay medium. 

Is this team only a QB away from contending? 

I don't think so. 

Defense has talent, mostly on the line, but the secondary is trash sans Collins play recently. There is a need for help there.

Offensively Sims or Carter or someone else has to step up and start playing or find another WR with some speed and/or height; McLaurin will be blanketed the majority of games unless someone else is out there who can pose a threat to a secondary.

I just think that a QB alone will not solve the problem; TH is in a slump, may or may not come out of it, and there will be other teams looking for a QB. 

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

I cant stand this line. 

Yes. We are a QB away. Because you can't do **** without the QB. 

Is our OC any good? Who ****ing knows.

Is McLaurin a great WR? Maybe. Not statistically because QB.

Can Gibson be a RB1? Got me. Why? Because who is when running into a 8+ man box every play because the defense wants you to throw it.

Stats say our Oline does really well, but they keep getting injured and we keep being sacked. Why? QB absolutely blows.

Defense can't do it all. How good can they be with a lead? When the offense is putting points and long drives together? Got me. Why? It's the QB.

We are a QB away from being a contender instead of a damn joke. 56-14 against the Cowboys is pathetic and our QB starts the day with a pick any of us could have thrown and finishes by telling the world that they have a better defense than we do. **** that.

• Like 5

Yes. This team is a QB away.

Away from what? Respect. 

We have more holes than QB. But with no QB we’re wading in the kiddy pool and getting knocked out of his every time Uncle Danny does a cannon ball. 

Are we a QB away from being good? No idea. But without one we’re going to be where we are.

I don’t advocate selling the farm to get one. Marginal upgrades are far better than giving 5 picks and 2 players away and watching that guy flame out.

But marginal upgrades are just that. They give you a fighting chance. They don’t put you in the real conversation.

So yes, we are a QB away. The roster certainly isn’t a QB away… but the franchise is.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I cant stand this line. 

Can Gibson be a RB1? Got me. Why? Because who is when running into a 8+ man box every play because the defense wants you to throw it.

Stats say our Oline does really well, but they keep getting injured and we keep being sacked. Why? QB absolutely blows.

Defense can't do it all. How good can they be with a lead? When the offense is putting points and long drives together? Got me. Why? It's the QB.

We are a QB away from being a contender instead of a damn joke. 56-14 against the Cowboys is pathetic and our QB starts the day with a pick any of us could have thrown and finishes by telling the world that they have a better defense than we do. **** that.

This.  It all starts and ends with the QB on any football team.  The fact we might finish with 7 or 8 wins with the dumpster fire we have at QB and all the injuries/COVID shows us how much we need even an above average QB, much less a Top 10 or 5 QB.  Could you imagine Stafford on this team this year, or Carr?  We would’ve won at least 10+ games this year, and been in contention in the NFC.

We should go all out and swing for the fences this coming offseason for a QB.  If Carr becomes available, then we need to do everything we can to get him.  Same with Rodgers and Wilson (if they’re interested in coming here).  The NFC will be a different landscape next year with potentially Rodgers and Wilson gone from their respective teams.  That means that it wouldn’t take much to be a contender in the NFC with Tampa Bay, Dallas and the LA Rams.  If we have Carr, we’d have a QB just as good as Stafford and Dak.

I bring up Carr, because he’s been phenomenal this year with what’s gone on around him.  He’s in the top 3 in yards passing, and has been extremely clutch this year when the Raiders have needed a FG or TD to win.  He’s been a Top 10 QB for a while, and he’s almost like the anti-Kirk when it comes to being clutch.  The team should do everything in its power to get him if the Raiders look to move on from him in the offseason.

Edited by samy316
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I don't think so. 

Defense has talent, mostly on the line, but the secondary is trash sans Collins play recently. There is a need for help there.

Offensively Sims or Carter or someone else has to step up and start playing or find another WR with some speed and/or height; McLaurin will be blanketed the majority of games unless someone else is out there who can pose a threat to a secondary.

I just think that a QB alone will not solve the problem; TH is in a slump, may or may not come out of it, and there will be other teams looking for a QB. 

I’m far from enamored with this secondary, but I would argue Curl and Fuller are high level starters.  We could really use a good FS and competition/depth for Jackson and DJ though (not to mention better LB play).

I’ve defended TH plenty - particularly about how important McKissick was to him - but he is not a guy that can make full use of McLaurin.  Even bracketed, I think a good qb can get the ball to Terry.  On offense though (beyond qb), the IFs are a concern - if Samuel and Thomas can get/stay healthy, if we re-sign McKissick, if we figure out our LT and swing tackle spots, if we find some guard depth, and if we can find a more suitable back to pair with Gibson.

Part of me thinks that’s just too much to overcome, especially if we have to pay and give up picks for a qb (and if we want to be able to re-sign key guys).

Another part of me thinks it might be fairly realistic to think that we could sign Wagner and a FS, re-sign Leno, Lucas and McKissick, draft a talented back and secondary/oline depth and wind up fielding a pretty darn good roster.

• Like 1

The Getting the rite QB put us in top 7 in Nfc we would get be in mix for division title and if we did not make playoffs that would be a disappointment. 

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This.  It all starts and ends with the QB on any football team.  The fact we might finish with 7 or 8 wins with the dumpster fire we have at QB and all the injuries/COVID shows us how much we need even an above average QB, much less a Top 10 or 5 QB.  Could you imagine Stafford on this team this year, or Carr?  We would’ve won at least 10+ games this year, and been in contention in the NFC.

We should go all out and swing for the fences this coming offseason for a QB.  If Carr becomes available, then we need to do everything we can to get him.  Same with Rodgers and Wilson (if they’re interested in coming here).  The NFC will be a different landscape next year with potentially Rodgers and Wilson gone from their respective teams.  That means that it wouldn’t take much to be a contender in the NFC with Tampa Bay, Dallas and the LA Rams.  If we have Carr, we’d have a QB just as good as Stafford and Dak.

The type of QB we get would make us 3 or 4 games better. I think there may be one or 2 low level free agent QB M Marrota or M Trubisky who could become solid starters but there no guarantee. 

I think we should prepare to get a rookie and one of those two the more I think about it the less likely I think the radiers will trade Carr and if they did I don't think it's to us.

@Skinsinparadise you are killin me, man, Kirk's moniker has been debated ad neaseum since he left in the ATN:

From an article @GhostofSparta was quoting:

"Cousins has a 113.8 QB rating on third downs. Maybe we’re onto something here. On third-and-10 or more, Cousins has completed 36 of 44 passes and has a 123.5 QB rating but has only 13 first downs."
"It makes sense that completing a pass or making an accurate throw is of utmost importance but not if it’s a checkdown to the tight end when an absolute dime into traffic is needed."

"While it’s fascinating that Cousins’s numbers haven’t translated, it’s also become exhausting. It feels like we’re always playing a game of who’s fault is it anyway? It’s never one thing and one stat never gives us all the answers."

I really don't want to turn this into a Kirk debate thread, hes not here anymore and there's already one in ATN:

Vikings fans complain about some of the same things we used to do, so as "emotional" as some of us are about Kirk, its not jus Washington fans that are "emotional" about him.

But to bring this back home to this thread, yes, I agree all stats need to be looked at in context versus jus throwing big numbers out, no matter who the QB is.  

We should NOT debate Kirk here, we should at best keep his stats in context when he inevitably comes up in here.  I'll see you in the ATN if you want to continue this debate on the "Admiral Check Down" nickname.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I cant stand this line. 

I'm torn on this post, because you make valid points, but how much will it cost to trade for some veteran that we need during a rebuild?  I dont believe any of these veteran QBs we are talking about trading for are coming here because of the dearth of talent here and our careening to a top 5 pick (i dont see us winning another game this season). 

So should we do an RG3 trade for a veteran QB considering how many holes we have all over the roster?  Our lack of top flight talent and overall team speed is obvious and will take time to resolve. We'd be competitive with a Rodgers, Carr, or Wilson, but we'd also have a massive veteran QB contract on our hands and no high picks to bring in cheap talent to surround them with.

Its absolutely a catch-22.  When the season started, I wanted to sign Winston as a bridge QB so we didn't reach on a QB on this draft.  Then I thought Heinicke could be that bridge guy instead, especially after the win streak and Winston tearing his ACL. Now, if we're going to possibly end up with a top 5 pick and Taylor wants to look like dog**** against Dallas not once but twice, its probably a better idea to jus draft a QB, hope we have a good one on a rookie deal for a couple years, and continue to draft and sign talent around them.  You know, an actual rebuild.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise you are killin me, man, Kirk's moniker has been debated ad neaseum since he left in the ATN:

From an article @GhostofSparta was quoting:

I really don't want to turn this into a Kirk debate thread, hes not here anymore and there's already one in ATN:

Vikings fans complain about some of the same things we used to do, so as "emotional" as some of us are about Kirk, its not jus Washington fans that are "emotional" about him.

But to bring this back home to this thread, yes, I agree all stats need to be looked at in context versus jus throwing big numbers out, no matter who the QB is.  

We should NOT debate Kirk here, we should at best keep his stats in context when he inevitably comes up in here.  I'll see you in the ATN if you want to continue this debate on the "Admiral Check Down" nickname.

The mistake was not getting anything for Cousins. We did not have to resign him but to let him walk for nothing was the worst thing to do. There were trades out there for him my guess 2 first from San Francisco was the trade. We would have had 2 upper to mid level first round picks. The 49ers took Nick Bosa and Mike Mcglinchey. They would be are players or maybe we would have drafted Josh Allen or one of other Qb.

The mistake was not doing anything with Cousins not necessarily not resigning him. The Raiders are at the same point with Carr as we were with Cousins. There team about 500 they are about as good as we were with Cousins. Regardless of what they do they won't mess it up as bad ad we did with Cousins. These type of mistake set franchise back years.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The mistake was not getting anything for Cousins.

I jus dont care anymore and it doesn't help the debate in this thread.  Once upon a time I was furious we couldn't figure this out, im not going back to that place again, it is what it is. Bruce is gone now, its time to move on. 

This is like saying we shoulda took Rodgers instead of Campbell or Herbert instead of Young, we could do this all day and get nowhere but further pain and frustration. I get enough of that on Sundays, im good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You are the one putting up pure post info here about Kirk, not me.   Its different to be emotional about a player on your actual team than who has left it years ago.  To each their own.  The only reason why I brought it up is because I noticed Kirk bleeds into the discussion of some of these QBs.  It happened with Stafford.  It's happening with Carr.

I could load up this thread with stats and tweets that trash Carr.  i found plenty of them when I was digging for positive information.  You got some who said he's the reason why they'd had to make those comebacks, digging them into those holes, he doesn't win, among many other criticisms.  Plenty of angst from Raider fans about Carr.  Just like there was about Stafford from Lions fans.

I think when you team doesn't win and get to the playoffs, I've just noticed a lot of angst period.  But if you cut through that all and try to get a clinical take some guys for me rise above their situation and the W-L record of their team.  

There is no such thing as a perfect stat for a QB but there are outfits that try.  Football Outsiders among others actually measure for example checkdowns.  they measure yards that they find to be meaningful among other things.  Carr actually fares well on it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 11.00.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 11.01.08 AM.png

• Thumb down 1

9 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

My question ( to anyone ) is this:

Outside of the quarterback position, is the rest of our roster in the top 14 in the league ?

Top 14 give or take I say yes there are 7 playoff spots with in each division I say probably. The other thing when thinking about Cousins is you have to remember the D. Haskins mistake. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Outside of the quarterback position, is the rest of our roster in the top 14 in the league ?

No.

But neither is the Packers. 

Neither are the Bills. 

There are many examples of this. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The mistake was not getting anything for Cousins. We did not have to resign him but to let him walk for nothing was the worst thing to do. There were trades out there for him my guess 2 first from San Francisco was the trade. We would have had 2 upper to mid level first round picks. The 49ers took Nick Bosa and Mike Mcglinchey. They would be are players or maybe we would have drafted Josh Allen or one of other Qb.

The mistake was not doing anything with Cousins not necessarily not resigning him. The Raiders are at the same point with Carr as we were with Cousins. There team about 500 they are about as good as we were with Cousins. Regardless of what they do they won't mess it up as bad ad we did with Cousins. These type of mistake set franchise back years.

I gave a crap and big time at the time when Bruce was here for reasons I stated many times.  Now, I don't really give a crap.  I got no idea what is said on that Kirk thread or cared once Bruce was fired. 

The only time I do is when the sentiments about Kirk can creep into some people's thoughts about the next pursuit at QB.  And I don't blame them for it.  I get that conversation about the 10-15 category for QBs.  Not just Kirk but others that fall into that class like Matt Ryan.

But I do hate it when they all get lumped together because they all have their strengths and weaknesses.  Yeah all of them to different degrees have segments of their fan base that can't wait until they are gone.  Same thing happened with Stafford.   i read plenty of tweets from Lion fans at the time.   And all of these guys get some love and hate from some of us on the QB threads over the years.

But my thesis is they all bring something different.  Yeah the Raiders will clearly get trade value out of Carr unlike our situation.  

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm torn on this post, because you make valid points, but how much will it cost to trade for some veteran that we need during a rebuild?  I dont believe any of these veteran QBs we are talking about trading for are coming here because of the dearth of talent here and our careening to a top 5 pick (i dont see us winning another game this season). 

So should we do an RG3 trade for a veteran QB considering how many holes we have all over the roster?  Our lack of top flight talent and overall team speed is obvious and will take time to resolve. We'd be competitive with a Rodgers, Carr, or Wilson, but we'd also have a massive veteran QB contract on our hands and no high picks to bring in cheap talent to surround them with.

Its absolutely a catch-22.  When the season started, I wanted to sign Winston as a bridge QB so we didn't reach on a QB on this draft.  Then I thought Heinicke could be that bridge guy instead, especially after the win streak and Winston tearing his ACL. Now, if we're going to possibly end up with a top 5 pick and Taylor wants to look like dog**** against Dallas not once but twice, its probably a better idea to jus draft a QB, hope we have a good one on a rookie deal for a couple years, and continue to draft and sign talent around them.  You know, an actual rebuild.

It'll definitely be costly to get a great vet QB, but I really don't think we have any other choice. We may not get one and draft a rookie and that may not work either, but we have to go all out and just get it done.

Last season I wanted Winston badly. Beginning of this year I wanted Trubisky. I was wrong. We have to get a great one, cost be damned. Carr is as good as we can get, if we can get him.

Get the QB, go from there. These Cowboys games broke me dude. There's plenty of excuses, plenty of other issues and holes, but it starts and ends at QB.

12 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

There's no way to know until we get a QB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I gave a crap and big time at the time when Bruce was here for reasons I stated many times.  Now, I don't really give a crap.  I got no idea what is said on that Kirk thread or cared once Bruce was fired. 

The only time I do is when the sentiments about Kirk can creep into some people's thoughts about the next pursuit at QB.  And I don't blame them for it.  I get that conversation about the 10-15 category for QBs.  Not just Kirk but others that fall into that class like Matt Ryan.

But I do hate it when they all get lumped together because they all have their strengths and weaknesses.  Yeah all of them ton different degrees have segments of their fan base that can't wait until they are gone.   And all of them get some love and hate from some of us in this QB thread.

But my thesis is they all bring something different.  Yeah the Raiders will clearly get trade value out of Carr unlike our situation.  

What you think of D Haskins pick at the time. It was never about Cousins it was about management not doing anything. Getting  A. Smith was a good replacement I thought it was a good move but not doing anything with Cousins just drives me nuts

Edited by Redskins 2021