Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Footage of Detroit playing Washington at Griffith Stadium - Nov. 14, 1943

thebluefood

This is, I believe, the famous game where Sammy Baugh intercepts four passes and throws for four TDs in a single game. His reputation as an accurate, intermediate passer and dangerous punter is on full display here.

Additionally, I am amazed by the high quality of this color footage from the team's original home in D.C. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

That was really neat to watch, thanks!. Amazing how things have changed. Punter standing 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage was cool to see.

Yeah, I knew the quick kick was a more common part of the game back then but it was interesting seeing it in action. And it makes sense. Moving the ball was much more difficult back then and field position made all the difference. 

Nice insight into what the game was like once upon a time. Thanks for sharing.

I know that the shape of the ball has changed over the years to make it easier to throw, but that Detroit QB threw an ugly ball (still better than anything I can do, mind you). Sammy clearly in a different league.

• Like 1

Something that caught my eye about this: how often and effectively Washington would punt. There were a few quick kicks on 2nd and even 1st down that turned the field around and put the Lions in a real jam. One in the first quarter - Baugh sent one a good 70 yards or so and Detroit couldn't make anything happen. 

• Like 1

The ball more resembled a rugby ball back then, which wasn't conducive to the passing game. At all.  Sammy revolutionized the game.

I ran some of clip at 1.25 and 1.50 speeds and it actually made it look more like the modern game.  It's amazing how elite athletes have evolved over time, in terms of both size and speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The ball more resembled a rugby ball back then, which wasn't conducive to the passing game. At all.  Sammy revolutionized the game.

I ran some of clip at 1.25 and 1.50 speeds and it actually made it look more like the modern game.  It's amazing how elite athletes have evolved over time, in terms of both size and speed.

Yeah I noticed that as well. The ball was bigger and looked super awkward and unwieldy to throw. I also sped it up to 1.25 speed and it looks much more like a regular live game. Thanks for sharing this.

Also, after 10 minutes of watching I saw exactly 2,941 things that would be fouls in today's game.  :ols:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another classic game against Detroit.

This was the great Dick Shiner, at Quarterback for us.

Detroit Lions Alex Karras (71) vs Washington Redskins QB Dick Shiner (14) at Tiger Stadium. Detroit, MI 10/3/1965

CREDIT: Neil Leifer (Photo by Neil Leifer /Sports Illustrated via Getty Images)

gettyimages-153840432-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Malapropismic Depository