Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

I would not give Chase Young his 5th year option in May.  I would wait to see how he performs this upcoming season.  I have heard some radio guys say re-sign him and other radio guys say definitely do not give him $17 million now.  I have heard some fans on the radio that we should trade him for draft picks but his value to another team right now is probably too low. 

Also heard Sheehan say this morning that Commanders would not meet the salary demands of Taylor Heinke and then they turned around and paid Jacoby B. more money so that he is one of the highest backup quarterbacks in the league.  So I think Taylor and his agent made the right move.  Commanders gave him a low ball offer and he got a better off from the Falcons.  Sheehan likes Jacoby and he thinks Jacoby is more talented than Heinke.

Edited by veteranskinsfan
line spacing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would not give Chase Young his 5th year option in May.  I would wait to see how he performs this upcoming season.  I have heard some radio guys say re-sign him and other radio guys say definitely do not give him $17 million now.  I have heard some fans on the radio that we should trade him for draft picks but his value

I wouldn’t do it either. I think they fully guarantee through injury. No thanks to that risk.

• Like 1

Take the 5th year option through lens you’re resigning for two seasons at a total $28mil. That’s a fair deal. 

His floor remains high enough to warrant 6% of the cap or so for next two seasons. Too much of a low risk financially to not take the gamble. Washington 98% will exercise fifth year. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

At this point expecting a 15 sack season for CY is ludicrous. If anything his value will go down after this season...even if he has a pretty good season by his standards (8-10 sacks) at that point Wash can decide if he is worth it but his expected salary will be 15-20mil per year... so it makes zero sense to guarantee him 17mil now, to possibly save a couple of mil. Plus you have the option to trade him at that point.

It makes more sense to sign Sweat as he has been the more consistent and healthy player so far.

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, oraphus said:

At this point expecting a 15 sack season for CY is ludicrous. If anything his value will go down after this season...even if he has a pretty good season by his standards (8-10 sacks) at that point Wash can decide if he is worth it but his expected salary will be 15-20mil per year... so it makes zero sense to guarantee him 17mil now, to possibly save a couple of mil. Plus you have the option to trade him at that point.

It makes more sense to sign Sweat as he has been the more consistent and healthy player so far.

2 years for $28mil with option to franchise for a 3rd year is mandatory to take the gamble on with a dude of his pedigree playing a premium position. 

I value this less than some, but has merit, he’s box office and can quickly re-establish himself as the face of franchise. 

Controlling one’s prime years is paramount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

2 years for $28mil with option to franchise for a 3rd year is mandatory to take the gamble on with a dude of his pedigree playing a premium position. 

I value this less than some, but has merit, he’s box office and can quickly re-establish himself as the face of franchise. 

Controlling one’s prime years is paramount. 

Can you explain the 2y 28mil? if they pick up his 5th year option he plays at 17mil in 2024 and if he plays well they will have to pay him or franchise him in 25

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Can you explain the 2y 28mil? if they pick up his 5th year option he plays at 17mil in 2024 and if he plays well they will have to pay him or franchise him in 25

I’m counting this season is all I’m doing. $11mil and option $17mil ($28 total). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’m counting this season is all I’m doing. $11mil and option $17mil ($28 total). 

I just dont think he has shown anything close to a complete season warranting 17mil a year commitment.  

20 - good, not great rookie season with 7.5sacks

21 - terrible for half a season, then hurt

22 - hurt most of the year

9 career sacks in 3 years does not warrant a 5th year option. So i 100% agree with Ron on this (for once), make him earn his paycheck and prove doubters wrong. He needs the motivation. The only reason 5th year option is even a consideration is due to his name and pedigree 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oraphus said:

I just dont think he has shown anything close to a complete season warranting 17mil a year commitment.  

20 - good, not great rookie season with 7.5sacks

21 - terrible for half a season, then hurt

22 - hurt most of the year

9 career sacks in 3 years does not warrant a 5th year option. So i 100% agree with Ron on this (for once), make him earn his paycheck and prove doubters wrong. He needs the motivation. The only reason 5th year option is even a consideration is due to his name and pedigree 

All very valid. 

100% own it’s a gamble, just think the positional value and pedigree is worth being position to have control for next 3 years if desired. 

• Like 1

From what I gather on Chase, they are frustrated with him on many fronts:

- Skipped offseason workouts everyone else attended

- Was doing his rehab away from the team

- Did not play within the scheme in 2021

- Did not come back fast enough from the injury (remember Ron getting frustrated with Chase's delay last season, consistently emphasizing that his knee was physically sound)

- The overpromising in 2021

Separately, I have heard second hand that he frequently comes to the facility smelling like weed.

It's obvious to me that this guy does not have the maturity of the type of guy who is going to consistently be one of the best at his position. I'd exercise his option because I think the realistic downside scenario is they can still trade him for a Day 2 pick if he has a solid season given his pedigree (even if it means eating some of his 2024 salary). It would suck to lose him for 0 value

This franchise has had the worst luck with #2 overall picks with the two other guys taken at that slot in the Snyder era being early flash in the pans and then flaming out in Lavar and RG3.

• Like 3

I heard an idea today and the more I think about it, the more I like it!  With trying to decide whether we keep Chase Young or Montez Sweat. What if Washington drafted Nolan Smith, to play LB/Edge just like Micah Parson's does. Then you trade one DE (Sweat or Young) resign the one you keep. And then you have Nolan Smith/Chase Young or Nolan Smith/Montez Sweat as your edge rushers. You can play Smith at LB 1st and 2nd down, then he rushes the passer on 3rd down, and you only pay him his rookie contract for 4 years while you are paying your star DE, and two DT's!!!

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Okapi p4pi said:

I heard an idea today and the more I think about it, the more I like it!  With trying to decide whether we keep Chase Young or Montez Sweat. What if Washington drafted Nolan Smith, to play LB/Edge just like Micah Parson's does. Then you trade one DE (Sweat or Young) resign the one you keep. And then you have Nolan Smith/Chase Young or Nolan Smith/Montez Sweat as your edge rushers. You can play Smith at LB 1st and 2nd down, then he rushes the passer on 3rd down, and you only pay him his rookie contract for 4 years while you are paying your star DE, and two DT's!!!

Thoughts?

Young doesn't have trade value right now. I'm not sure why people keep shouting "TRADE THIS GUY TRADE THAT GUY" as if we're gonna get like three #1s for him. It makes no sense to trade a super talented young guy who is still on a rookie contract.

I think your underestimating the value of DE's especially one who has not lived up to his potential yet. There are GM's out there who think they can be the guy to fix/help him. However, I am actually more into the idea of trading Montez Sweat for whatever we could get. Keep Chase Young, draft Nolan Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

Won't get the option. It will tactically be fuel. 

I've been a doubter, but could see Young see the light. They won't know until next year, and they'll always have the franchise tag. 

If you get Sweat signed the first year will probably be low. If Chase gets a deal it will peak when Allen's is done (2-3 years).

It's doable.

QB is cheap.

RB is cheap.

OL is cheaper and cheaper. 

TE will be cheap after next year.

LB is cheap.