Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

The D-line had a lot of near misses on Lawrence, but they did pressure him and got him having to move around quite a bit.  I think it is safe to say Lawrence is more mobile back there than Goff.  Hopefully if they are able to get the same pressures on Goff, it could lead to more hits, sacks, and an INT or two.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He was gushing about how great they were. I'm sure @Skinsinparadise has the exact quotes somewhere.

Heinicke was over the top about how good the Cowboys defense was.    Heck his former Dominion coach in a recent podcast referenced the Cowboys games specifically when saying Heinicke told him his body needs to recover from those games during the off season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Crazy to me that some people were down on our DL. Even the ends this past week.

If you watch that sack by Allen, it was a stunt with Sweat. I don’t recall a game in which we stunted as much as we did. It allowed Allen and Payne to be in the backfield often. I’ll give Jack, the new DL coach and Kerrigan lots of credit on how well the line played. 

• Like 3

Cowboys Have 'Best D-Line in NFL,' Praises 'Ass-Beaten' Opposing QB

"You guys (have) seen it, that (Dallas) defense isn't just doing it to us, they're doing it to almost every team they play," Heinicke says.

However, Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke had to offer praise when it comes to the team he said "beat our ass twice" - the Dallas Cowboys.

"You guys (have) seen it, that (Dallas) defense isn't just doing it to us, they're doing it to almost every team they play," Heinicke said.

"They have a really good defensive line, probably the best in the league.'' 

I mean those guys get after it up front," Heinicke said. "They have a really good defensive line, probably the best in the league. They got some DBs that make plays, I mean (Trevon) Diggs has what, 12 picks this year? It's just a really good defense, and when you play a team like that and you get down quick and you've got to throw the ball to get back in the game it's tough, those guys want to pin their ears back and get after you. And they have a really good offense as well. They have a really good team. They beat our ass twice, and we've just got to learn from it."

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-best-defensive-line-ass-beat-micah-parsons-randy-gregory

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Just now, NoCalMike said:

The D-line had a lot of near misses on Lawrence, but they did pressure him and got him having to move around quite a bit.  I think it is safe to say Lawrence is more mobile back there than Goff.  Hopefully if they are able to get the same pressures on Goff, it could lead to more hits, sacks, and an INT or two.

Also safe to say the Lions OL is better than Jacksonville's.

Still, while I'm not as enamored with Sweat as some others, who seem to think he played so good he should be praised at every turn, I think he played admirably for a DE. A good performance. Not high end DE type of performance, but all around solid. 

Our DTs should do well. 

As long as they rush as 1 instead of as individuals they should do just fine. Against the Lions I think Amon Ra St. Brown is dangerous as is DeAndre Swift. Goff is better than many give credit to. We'll see. I think we should be solid with the safeties... Forrest is an animal. I can't wait to see him and Curl on the field at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

If you watch that sack by Allen, it was a stunt with Sweat. I don’t recall a game in which we stunted as much as we did. It allowed Allen and Payne to be in the backfield often. I’ll give Jack, the new DL coach and Kerrigan lots of credit on how well the line played. 

Sweat and Toohill had a great game outside and Payne, Allen and Wise can get right up through there.

Lion will be without their starting Center and one of the guards, so that should bode well for our pass rush.

If you heard after Kerrigan was hired, he mentioned how the line needed to play as one unit. Based on the scheme I could see lots more stunts this year instead of 1 on 1 matchups. It will be interesting to see how Chase takes to it once he comes back. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

Listening to Jon Allen on The Junkies this morning and he didn't really give a lot of info outside his own position.  Felt really bad for Mathis and the guy was looking really good.  Said he needs to worry about his assignment and technique so wasn't big on discussing scheme stuff.  He did say there was a long run on a play he should have shut down but was out of position.  Said he and Daron didn't mind playing the extra reps after Mathis went done, that's part of the job.  He said they were going to review Jags tape this morning, yesterday was a get well day.  He did seem really aware of what Swift did to the Eagles.  Said social media is like high school, where all kinds of stuff gets said and spread incorrectly. 

Gotta give this guy a lot of credit.  It's obvious why he's a leader and captain.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah I feel like Sweat was a milisecond away a few times from getting sacks. Don't know why people say he was having a bad game, I thought he was quite good.

I could see him getting a sack fumble against Goff this week. Gotta line him up on the blind side away from Penei Sewell who's a stud at RT.

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Have you always been a cowboys fan and I just never noticed?

No, I'm just a realist and not someone who follows the "they are the cowboys so I HAVE to knock them mantra", which is completely stupid in my opinion. I believe its foolish for anyone to knock Micah's talent on the NFL field with what he has accomplished so far. I appreciate talent whether its on this team or another team. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Why does everything always have to be about Dan?  

The discussion went from football to character issues, the question then becomes how can Dan not come up? 

Edited by dyst
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

No, I'm just a realist and not someone who follows the "they are the cowboys so I HAVE to knock them mantra", which is completely stupid in my opinion. I believe its foolish for anyone to knock Micah's talent on the NFL field with what he has accomplished so far. I appreciate talent whether its on this team or another team. 

I didn't say that Micah was bad at football. I said he sucked as a person. Hell, the car meme trounces the team and props up Micah.

I mean, there is entire **** the cowboys thread in the ATN, because **** the cowboys.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dyst said:

No, I'm just a realist and not someone who follows the "they are the cowboys so I HAVE to knock them mantra", which is completely stupid in my opinion. I believe its foolish for anyone to knock Micah's talent on the NFL field without what he has sone so far. I appreciate talent whether its on this team or another team. 

I’m with you that i, too, won’t trash talent even if it’s on a division rival. However I wouldn’t go so far as to call anyone stupid for doing so. If people want to trash talent on a division rival, have at it. I mean, after all, that’s what a rivalry is all about :) 

*disclaimer, I wouldn’t say I NEVER do that, sometimes I do. It’s fun to do some trashtalking about division rivals (or other teams in general). It’s what sports is all about 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Amazing how everybody at the top of the list for pressures didn't log a sack. You'd think some would fall their way. Top 8 guys got nada.

Oh well, if your around the QB that much your bound to pick em up sooner or later.

I agree but pressure is sometimes better than a sack since it can cause errant throws. Goff made some real bad throws against the Eagles when he felt pressure. Wentz made a real bad decision on that screen pass when he was under a lot of pressure.

It will be real interesting against Hurts in week 3 because he literally looked to run as soon as he felt any type of pressure. Gotta contain that guy in the pocket. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

Sacks are kind of a anomaly though if you think about it.  The average QB probably attempts what, 25-35 passes a game?  If the defense gets 4-5 sacks it is considered a good performance, but a lot of times, it is the pressure itself that disrupts the play.  The sack itself is a bonus because of the loss of yards, a potential turnover, and possibly getting in the QB's head going forward, but if the front seven is bringing enough pressure consistently to where it is messing up the timing of the QB's ability to throw the ball then essentially you are still getting the intended results.  This happened a lot versus Jacksonville where when watching live you might have simply though Lawrence was making bad throws, but upon replay, he had pressure closing in on home, or a defender's hand on his shoulder/throwing arm etc etc....This isn't me saying I don't care about sacks.  They are certainly great when they happen, but they happen at a low % statistically speaking that we can't always get hung up on only that. 

I also feel like this defense is missing that pass rushing linebacker that is out there to "go get the QB" on passing down situations.  Maybe because they have Chase & Sweat so they feel the pass rush is sufficiently covered by those two or maybe the linebackers we do have just aren't very good at getting to the QB.

Edited by NoCalMike

I am all for snatching up practice squad players the coaches think could handle a rotation gig, but really if there are veterans out there they think can actually make an impact, why not give them a look too?  Mathis is done for the season not a few weeks or a couple of months.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am all for snatching up practice squad players the coaches think could handle a rotation gig, but really if there are veterans out there they think can actually make an impact, why not give them a look too?  Mathis is done for the season not a few weeks or a couple of months.  

Sadly I don't believe either was on a practice squad.

You'd think they'd be something out there with more potential. 

How can a guy who couldn't even make a practice squad now suddenly be good enough to make the 53?

Head scratcher to me.

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Rule of 51

As long as we pick up young absolute nobodies they don't count against the cap or barely cast a ripple. We only have 4.5 M to operate thu a 17 game season.

You go out and sign a vet you are at least paying him Vet Min, which likely puts him in the top 51.

If we had some cap space it would be easier to justify some moves but with where we are you gotta pinch pennies at backup DT. If we lose somebody at a more impactful position, we are gonna need it.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Rule of 51

As long as we pick up young absolute nobodies they don't could against the cap or barely cast a ripple. We only have 4.5 M to operate thu a 17 game season.

You go out and sign a vet you are at least paying him Vet Min, which likely puts him in the top 51.

If we had some cap space it would be easier to justify some moves but with where we are you gotta pinch pennies at DT. If we lose somebody at a more impactful position, we are gonna need it.

I hadn't really looked at that angle. 

That certainly makes a difference but damn are we thin in the middle of this defense. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Sacks are kind of a anomaly though if you think about it.  The average QB probably attempts what, 25-35 passes a game?  If the defense gets 4-5 sacks it is considered a good performance, but a lot of times, it is the pressure itself that disrupts the play.  The sack itself is a bonus because of the loss of yards, a potential turnover, and possibly getting in the QB's head going forward, but if the front seven is bringing enough pressure consistently to where it is messing up the timing of the QB's ability to throw the ball then essentially you are still getting the intended results.  This happened a lot versus Jacksonville where when watching live you might have simply though Lawrence was making bad throws, but upon replay, he had pressure closing in on home, or a defender's hand on his shoulder/throwing arm etc etc....This isn't me saying I don't care about sacks.  They are certainly great when they happen, but they happen at a low % statistically speaking that we can't always get hung up on only that. 

I also feel like this defense is missing that pass rushing linebacker that is out there to "go get the QB" on passing down situations.  Maybe because they have Chase & Sweat so they feel the pass rush is sufficiently covered by those two or maybe the linebackers we do have just aren't very good at getting to the QB.

Could Shaka Toney be that guy?   I feel like he could, if given a legit chance... 

49 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

As disruptive as sweat was, the difference between him and guys like Mack and parsons is that sweat doesn’t finish.  He’s gotta figure out where to get that xtra gear to finish the pressures with game changing sacks/forced fumbles

I totally agree with the point that he needs to finish. But Mack has the advantage of having Bosa opposite him this year.