Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Norm MacDonald

spjunkies

I swear to God, last night I thought long and hard about Norm.  Even how muched he's aged since his Weekend Update days, and how bad it'll hit me when he dies.  The timing of this is incredibly spooky to me.

My favorite deliverer of jokes ever.  All-time King of dry delivery.  He pumped out jokes by the thousands, it's baffling.  So many jokes that he'd give his podcast guests half of them, so they could read them off and get the laugh.

When I was done reminicing about Norm last night, I practiced and recited a joke of his over and over that I want to try on my family and friends.  The way he anticipated the reaction of the audience to his punchlines made him able to manipulate the audience to get an even bigger laugh AFTER the punchline.  Freaking brilliant.

A very sad day in the world of comedy.  RIP to an all-time legend.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

The thing about Norm is that the more you become a fan, the more his jokes that don't work become hilarious.  I look back at all the jokes that bombed with the SNL audience, or when the podcast guests had reactions other than laughter...and I frigging crack up.  He would do bad jokes on purpose, and as he aged he did it more and more.  Just to make everyone uncomfortable.  That makes me crack up every time.  See his roast of Bob Sagat for the most prime example.

Norm was extremely smart.  Remember he was an answer away from winning Who Wants to be a Millionare.  Regis sorta talked him out of his million dollar answer, and Norm's educated guess after the fact was the correct answer.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2

Damn this hits hard. My favorite comedian. I saw him at the DC Improv several years ago, sat right against the stage with my brother and a friend...greatest night of my life. People in the back tried heckling to break his mojo but Norm destroyed them and dominated...and ended the whole thing with a running joke about eating a roast beef sandwhich while having sex. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, China said:

Conan: "Do something with that, you freak."

Norm: *already rubbing his hands together*

On a related note, a friend of mine was on a flight and both Norm AND Carrot Top were on it (sitting separately). At the time my buddy had no idea that Norm annihilated Carrot Top and I had to explain it all and show him this. To this day I wonder if CT was aware of tbe savagery.

• Like 1