Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An argument for cooler heads

Rskins91

I’ll start this post with a disclaimer that you can react however you wish to a win or loss. Totally within your rights. But even though I can be salty and angry in the moment at a bad play or loss, I prefer to think about things with the larger picture in mind. So with that said, let’s dive into why the sky, is in fact, not falling. 

1.) Week 1 of the NFL is incredibly hard to gauge 

In 1999, the Rams beat the Ravens 27-10 to open the season. I remember it well, despite being 9, because my dad was seething mad after the game. How could the Ravens defense, or any defense, lose to some former Arena league QB? Of course, it turned out that Kurt Warner would become a pretty damn good player. And that those Rams would go 13-3 in route to a SB title. 

Or, if that example isn’t good enough, take the 2007 Giants. They got the doors blown off them in embarrassing fashion to start 0-2, letting up 80 points over two games. It was a large concern for a defense that was supposed to be much better. Eventually, the 2007 Giants got right, and painfully went on to win a SB with a dominant defensive display. 

The point in these examples are that we really can’t draw too many conclusions from one or two games. Teams change and evolve, with schemes and players being week to week. In this week’s case, I’m willing to give the team more time to right the ship. 

2.) It was a one possession game where we had opportunities to win

Yes, I know the score didn’t reflect how the team played. It was clear that for most of the day the Chargers were the better team. But even with that - even when the eye test told us, “man, we’re getting wrecked” - we held in there and, if a few plays turned out differently, could have stolen the win. That’s not insignificant in my eyes. It says that even on a day where the team isn’t playing to it’s full potential, there’s a chance to make enough plays to win. Obviously would prefer to play to said potential, but winning ugly is something good teams learn how to do. 

3.) The game will serve as a wake up call and reality check

For the most part, this team is pretty young. And that worked against us I think. This game felt to me like the team read or heard the press clippings about them and how they were perceived favorites with “the best defense in football.” The Chargers didn’t care about that at all. Sometimes, when you get full of yourself, a trip to reality and humble pie can bring out the best in you. And so I hope it does for the young guns who might have felt a bit too confident. 

I wish I wasn’t making this post and that we were enjoying a win. The truth is though we deserved to lose and we had our asses kicked. That doesn’t mean that we’re doomed to fail this year, though, or that we should release Del Rio, or that the D-line won’t play better in the future. It can be simultaneously be true that we got beat bad and can do better next game.

IMO, the biggest question mark is the Fitzpatrick injury. That has the highest risk of detailing our season. But on the upside, I guess we’ll soon know what we have in Heinecke.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

#1 is the biggest point. Week 1 is just wacky. There were quite a few weird things that happened across the league. Its hard to gauge anything. Maybe we had a bad week. Maybe the Chargers are just legit really good this year.

While #2 is true, we were thoroughly outplayed all game long. If we won the game it'd have been a stolen win. We were lucky to be as close as we were.

I can agree with #3. I think we have strong leadership in the locker room and the guys will play much better Week 2. If we can't beat the Giants who are just an abomination right now someone needs to lose their job.

Week 2 will say alot around the NFL.  Are the Cowboys really that good? Does Jalen Hurts come back to reality?  

After our losses to Danny Dimes the last 2 years I don't want us to squeak out a win Thursday that wouldn't make me feel very good about us.. I need to see a dominate beat down of big Blue... I'm afraid Danny Dimes knows our weakness at LB and his mobility presents a challenge for them.  I think Jamin Davis will have a big role in the game Thursday.

• Like 1

Just now, HtownRocks111 said:

Week 2 will say alot around the NFL.  Are the Cowboys really that good? Does Jalen Hurts come back to reality?  

After our losses to Danny Dimes the last 2 years I don't want us to squeak out a win Thursday that wouldn't make me feel very good about us.. I need to see a dominate beat down of big Blue... I'm afraid Danny Dimes knows our weakness at LB and his mobility presents a challenge for them.  I think Jamin Davis will have a big role in the game Thursday.

Yeah we need to pound his sorry ass into the ground. If we squeak out a 13-10 stinkfest it doesn't really mean anything. The Giants are terrible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

It can be simultaneously be true that we got beat bad and can do better next game.

Yup, great post.  The fact is that this team never gets the benefit of the doubt from the fans, because we have been burned time and time again.  The Chargers could very well be all world this year.  With that said, I'm not going to lie, I was pretty peeved about the way things started out on both side of the ball.  The defense looked utterly lost on Drive #1.    

Watch how quickly opinions change if they win in convincing fashion on Thursday night.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Yup, great post.  The fact is that this team never gets the benefit of the doubt from the fans, because we have been burned time and time again.  The Chargers could very well be all world this year.  With that said, I'm not going to lie, I was pretty peeved about the way things started out on both side of the ball.  The defense looked utterly lost on Drive #1.    

Watch how quickly opinions change if they win in convincing fashion on Thursday night.  

I was telling a friend who didn't get a chance to watch the game that the Chargers WRs imo were equally as impressive as Herbert was.  They ran precise routes and caught balls thrown their way and most of the balls were thrown where only they could catch them.

I give props to Herbert as he looks like an absolute stud at the moment.  He may not get a Patty Mahomie deal in the next year but it shouldn't be too much of a stones throw from it as he has the mental and physical tools needed to be a top 5 QB in this league for the next 10 years.  And I don't want to hear anyone say we should've drafted him...  Haskins was what we hoped would be our Herbert.. no one saw this coming.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Today sucked for you guys.  But, NY Giants are underdogs against WFT, and the Cowboys are underdogs against the Chargers.  If the favored teams win this week, there will be a huge change in the outlook on this season.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Today sucked for you guys.  But, NY Giants are underdogs against WFT, and the Cowboys are underdogs against the Chargers.  If the favored teams win this week, there will be a huge change in the outlook on this season.  

It did suck.  I’d be surprised if at game time the charges are still favored.  I’d bet the over in that game. I would probably pick the Cowboys as good as the chargers looked I think Dallas will take em.  Unfortunately. 

Anyone saying the season is over after one game is being ridiculous.  We have no idea what things might look like in a month.  This could end up being one of must a few bad games by the Washington defense all season.  Impossible to say right now.  

That being said, anyone saying this is just another week 1 loss, despite the fact that we lost our starting QB, is also being ridiculous.  Losing always sucks, but exiting week 1 down your two biggest offseason acquisitions on offense, is brutal.  

How much this hurts us remains to be seen.  Not knowing how it’s going to play out is why we watch.  Just got to hope our luck changes and the defense can figure some things out.

• Like 3

I said it another thread and I'll repeat it here.  WFT played one of the better teams in the Chargers and while looking less than stellar at times, they did have opportunities as the game went on. They did end up taking the lead for a short time.  Gibson's turnover inside the 10 yard line was a real back breaker and came at an awful time when our defense had just swung momentum and got the offense the ball back.   

Week 2 we go from one of the better looking teams to an opponent that looked pretty bad on both sides of the ball against Denver today.  The NYG looked bad, very bad.  Now I fully expect that they also probably looked worse in Week 1 due to a lot of the same reason most teams do, but the difference is they did not improve as the game went on, instead they seemed to get worse.

Playing the Giants in Week 2 on TNF, is going to give our team an opportunity to at least say that they don't belong among the NFL's bottom feeders.  OR.....they end up 0-2, with a loss to a mediocre team and the panic button will start to be pushed.

• Like 2

I like to think this way most of the time but....if Dak continues to play like he did on Thursday, we aint beating them. It was very frustrating to see our defense not able to close out the game for us, on the TD drive they literally went right down the middle. Granted they turned the ball over and we turned around and gave it back to them but still...Herbert was able to hit  his throws with ease, whereas again it looks like we cant get any pressure on a qb and our offense struggles for yardage no easy gimme plays on either side of the ball...and its been like this for years, im hoping things change thursday...

Edited by CjSuAvE22

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Playing the Giants in Week 2 on TNF, is going to give our team an opportunity to at least say that they don't belong among the NFL's bottom feeders.  OR.....they end up 0-2, with a loss to a mediocre team and the panic button will start to be pushed.

They really can’t afford to lose this game.  We are already facing a must win as far as I’m concerned.  Another loss at home to start the season on Thursday night would be devastating, and set a very negative tone that could linger for the rest of the year.  

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think many are saying the season is over. The general consensus seems to be, “wow did we suck. If we play like that again it’s going to be a long year. Good things it’s a short week to get this taste out of our mouths”.

That's about where I am, except for that last comment given recent history. We know Jones is an inconsistent QB, but if he has protection anything like Herbert did, he can and will take us apart. 

On paper, the line should be able to generate pressure, but I think we all know that means nothing with this team. So I can't feel confident for this game, a loss would make the taste in my mouth a whole lot worse.