Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): The Team vs. Chargers

KDawg

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

They actually look to be in decent position here. Holcomb is slow to the flats to cover the swing, though. Bostic is falling underneath the Dig. The issue is that our backers are slow... not speed wise. But processing wise. They all have the same issue. They aren't instinctual at all. Holcomb should be a lot closer to the swing at this point. And even though I just said Bostic is falling under the dig, he also looks like he's about to totally overrun it and they're going to double the back and the Dig is wide open. 

Someone said earlier it was cover 4. I broke it down assuming that was correct. 

You are seeing the same thing I am. They are slow to identify and react in coverage every time.

In this specific play, Bostic is supposed to drop under the dig so he's not out of position, but watching the play live you can tell he has no idea where the dig is. He's just in semi good position by luck.

Holcomb just seemed like he forgot his responsibility or something. Bostic has the middle zone, and if the cover 4 call is right, he has that outside drop. Why he sits in the middle staring at the QB, I don't understand. 

All I know, is that I firmly believe if Taylor started that game and we didnt waste almost 2 quarters on Fitz, we had a great shot at winning.   

I still cant figure out for the freaking life of me, why they would pay an old mediocre QB that we all know could never get us anything but maybe an 8-8 record, when we had a QB that at least we could say maybe just maybe, develop and become great.  

26 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

All I know, is that I firmly believe if Taylor started that game and we didnt waste almost 2 quarters on Fitz, we had a great shot at winning.   

Funny thing is, a lot of people said the exact same thing about the Carolina game last year, when Heinicke replaced a benched Haskins.

For the first time in his career here, he not only gets the chance to start and complete the game, but he gets to prepare all week as the starter, unlike the Tampa game.

Though it would have been nice to have a full week instead of a Thursday game. But I'm very confident in his ability to prepare on a short week.

Playing a complete game against a team like NY, as opposed to Tampa, should get us very good results.

And I don't know how much Cosmi and the OL have been talked about, but it seems Cosmi may have been rushed into the starting role. Especially having to face someone like Bosa in his first NFL game.

I wonder if we'd be better suited having Lucas start until he's ready.

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And I don't know how much Cosmi and the OL have been talked about, but it seems Cosmi may have been rushed into the starting role. Especially having to face someone like Bosa in his first NFL game.

I wonder if we'd be better suited having Lucas start until he's ready.

From what they said, he's got some old habits and muscle memory he falls back on that they thought had been eliminated.  The coaches implied Cosmi doesn't do that in practice, but nerves got the best of Cosmi against Bosa and he reverted.  His run blocking was great though.

I wonder if alternating series with Cosmi/Lucas would be just too whacky and weird, or if it would make sense.  Cause if he's not doing it in practice, then he needs game experience to get over it.

1 hour ago, redskins4ever28 said:

I still cant figure out for the freaking life of me, why they would pay an old mediocre QB that we all know could never get us anything but maybe an 8-8 record, when we had a QB that at least we could say maybe just maybe, develop and become great.  

I will take the professional football coaches opinions over the arm chair quarterback experts on the internet that think they know more than the guys who have been doing it professionally their entire careers.

13 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Thought Rivera's punt on 4th and 7 would've made this list, guess not.

In the moment, the decision to punt was fine.  

And the D had the Chargers in a 3rd and 16 right after the punt.

Sure in hindsight, since we lost, it was the "wrong call" but the reasoning and logic behind it, coming straight from Rivera's mouth, makes total sense.

If we stopped them on 3rd and 16 and they punted, and we get the ball back and win, I'm positive you wouldn't be talking about the decision making on that play.  But of course, since they lost, it's a terrible decision.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I will take the professional football coaches opinions over the arm chair quarterback experts on the internet that think they know more than the guys who have been doing it professionally their entire careers.

In the moment, the decision to punt was fine.  

And the D had the Chargers in a 3rd and 16 right after the punt.

Sure in hindsight, since we lost, it was the "wrong call" but the reasoning and logic behind it, coming straight from Rivera's mouth, makes total sense.

If we stopped them on 3rd and 16 and they punted, and we get the ball back and win, I'm positive you wouldn't be talking about the decision making on that play.  But of course, since they lost, it's a terrible decision.

I understand the general reasoning behind it.

But you also have, and Ron has to as well, to take into account that our D was rolled over all day long by LA. They were already 70%+ or something on 3rd down.

So you can expect that our guys will have a timely wake up and start knowing their assignements and do their job properly for once, or think they're not gonna do it.

He said it after the game, guys were constantly out of position, guys were not doing what they were supposed all day long. Then all of a sudden you expect them to do it? Was not gonna happen by any means.

I can understand showing confidence in our guys, but the outcome should have been expected.

And as a whole I would have preferred our HC to go for it, no matter what to tell is young D "I do not trust you today guys" so that they get the wake up call from their own HC, than it being done by the opponent.

On a casual day where our D would have been storming being LAC OL, sure OK, go for the punt and let them do their job. But when they've been manhandled like they were, that feels strange.

Edited by Wildbunny
SD, LA... whatever...

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I understand the general reasoning behind it.

But you also have, and Ron has to as well, to take into account that our D was rolled over all day long by SD. They were already 70%+ or something on 3rd down.

So you can expect that our guys will have a timely wake up and start knowing their assignements and do their job properly for once, or think they're not gonna do it.

He said it after the game, guys were constantly out of position, guys were not doing what they were supposed all day long. Then all of a sudden you expect them to do it?

I can understand showing confidence in our guys, but the outcome should have been expected.

And as a whole I would have preferred our HC to go for it, no matter what to tell is young D "I do not trust you today guys" so that they get the wake up call from their own HC, than it being done by the opponent.

On a casual day where our D would have been storming being LAC OL, sure OK, go for the punt and let them do their job. But when they've been manhandled like they were, that feels strange.

Well on the flipside, they also had 16 points in 3.5 quarters on the offensive side of the ball, and they had gotten like 25% third down.  I doubt he had much confidence in his offense being able to pick up 7 yards on 4th down.

And who knows if we would have gotten the penalty on 4th down if they were not in punt formation.  I'm confident they WOULD have, making it 4th and 12 regardless.

Edited by purbeast

15 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Well on the flipside, they also had 16 points in 3.5 quarters on the offensive side of the ball, and they had gotten like 25% third down.  I doubt he had much confidence in his offense being able to pick up 7 yards on 4th down.

And who knows if we would have gotten the penalty on 4th down if they were not in punt formation.  I'm confident they WOULD have, making it 4th and 12 regardless.

Maybe the safest bet was to bet on Bosa roughing the passer a 3rd time?

Guy seemed to be fed up with this...

The O-line was bad last year and it has not changed this year. Overrated right guard that is average at best in pass game and no super star in the running game. No left tackle , average left guard , a center who is a bit overated always seems to be pressure up the middle. They fold up under the blitz. We are going to be looking for QB's on the street again this year. Cosmi needs to stay right where he is and learn, we know what we have at the other spots. The OL is going to be the problem just like last year.  They picked on our rookie CB on the other side of the ball and he was there for the most part but good receivers and a hot QB with little pressure on him made the difference.  

Last year, the D seemed to have a second half magic touch. They were sometimes outschemed in the first half, but shut down opponents in the second. This game, they weren't able to flip that script. I'm not sure if that's a coach thing or a player thing. I'm guessing both.

Right now, we look like paper tigers. Hope the first game was a mirage.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Last year, the D seemed to have a second half magic touch. They were sometimes outschemed in the first half, but shut down opponents in the second. This game, they weren't able to flip that script. I'm not sure if that's a coach thing or a player thing. I'm guessing both.

Right now, we look like paper tigers. Hope the first game was a mirage.

1st game usually doesn't have any predictive value on the rest of the season.  What I'm not sure is, if it just means Week 1 strengths might not last.  Or Week 1 weaknesses might get fixed.  Or both.

Last season Gardner Minshew and the Jags offense shredded their opponent Week 1.  That did not happen again the rest of the season.

I think by Week 3 but mostly Week 4 you know what your team is by then.  Some exceptions, but you should have a good idea.

• Like 1