Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ATN Random * NFL* Thought Thread---Read OP

Jumbo

here are my thoughts on this Cmac move:

As a football fan I am excited about the move. I would love to see what a RB of Mcafrey's talent level can do on a run first Niner O that has historically been very generous for RBs. Strategically it makes sense as well on many levels. NFCW is much weaker this season and NFC as a whole is not great so if Niners believe that MC is the necessary piece to allow them to coast to the playoffs and beyond.. why not. 

Here is what I dont like:

Niners in 22 are not the niners of Yesteryears... the D is a shell of themselves, O line is very inj and I still dont believe JImmyG is the guy put them on his back when they need it. (maybe having Cmac will reduce Jimmy dependency even more) Also they are paying him 12+mil a year (top of market money) for a inj prone smallish rb going in to a system that kills RBs(inj)  for whatever reason. Niners also basically have no significant draft capital over the next two years and their inj woes are related to the age and mileage of their players. 

• Thumb up 1

Did anyone see the video of the refs looking like they were asking mike evans for his autograph after the Bucs game? The league investigated it, and came to the conclusion that the ref was actually getting mike evans phone number to pass along to a golf pro so he could get golf lessons 

anyone believe that, or not? Curious to see who does Vs who doesn’t 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Question watching tonights game

The left guard for the chargers after he is set points and moves his arm right before the snap multiple times this first half. Is that a legal movement? Never seen any one do that before.

O-lineman do a lot of pointing pre-snap.  Especially the center.

16 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

O-lineman do a lot of pointing pre-snap.  Especially the center.

Yeah, but when they get set, they can't move.  I didn't watch the game.  I am not sure the exact rule, but the QB typically has something in the cadence which indicates "it's go time" and then any movement is called a false start.

The other thing, arm-waving and pointing can't really be considered simulating a snap, or beginning the play early.  Whereas rocking backwards, or shifting your feet, or whatever, can be.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, but when they get set, they can't move.  I didn't watch the game.  I am not sure the exact rule, but the QB typically has something in the cadence which indicates "it's go time" and then any movement is called a false start.

The other thing, arm-waving and pointing can't really be considered simulating a snap, or beginning the play early.  Whereas rocking backwards, or shifting your feet, or whatever, can be.  

I see them pointing frequently after they've set.  Usually there's kind of a swing of the hips to angle upwards to do their pointing that is different from the type of movement that you'd see from a snap.  I'm not sure how they make the judgement to differentiate those, but it's something I'd taken note of in the past when viewing zoomed in shots of the line pre-snap.

(Forgive some of the odd wording; the third letter of the alphabet seems to not be working on my keyboard at the moment)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been reading all of the articles about Franco Harris today, it seems like all they want to talk about is the Immaculate reception, which in reality almost none of us ever saw or remember. Hell, there weren't nearly as many fans back then and most of them by now are really old or long gone since Franco Harris was 25 or younger when that play happened.

What I do remember, and I actually found a link to, was him visiting military bases to show support to service members and he didn't just do it down the road from wherever he lived, he did it all over the world. I think he should get some credit for that as well as that random luck play that he was a part of.

He visited probably 100s of bases over the years, but I remember this one when I was stationed in Japan. 

Former Steelers great Franco Harris visits Yokosuka | Stars and Stripes

See the source image

Some others.

Soldiers' Angels volunteers visit Nellis (af.mil)

Check Six – 2005: Franco Harris Visits | Retiree News

DVIDS - Images - 316th ESC soldiers meet Franco Harris [Image 1 of 4] (dvidshub.net)

Franco Harris supporting the troops. | Troops, Lackland afb, Supportive (pinterest.com)

• Like 2

How many conversations do we have during and after every season where people say "if we had won x number of close games, we'd be 9-2" or something to that effect. People forget about the close games you actually won that you could've lost too.

Saw this chart from this season. Didn't include this past weeks games, but wow, Vikes have lived on the edge!